jojo patrimonio
Years ago

Blazers considering sending Mills back to D-League

http://www.columbian.com/weblogs/blazerbanter/2010/jan/11/blazers-considering-sending-mills-back-d-league-ho/

can someone make a lobbying for Mills. he hasnt get any support from australian sports it seems. given a luck, he is destine to be an iconic baller

Topic #22072 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Blazers need to make up their damn minds.

Reply #264107 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

"If Mills is demoted, the main reasons would be the return of guard Steve Blake and the fact that the Blazers want Mills to stay active and continue his on-the-court training, rather than just sit on the bench during NBA games."

I just wish they would hurry up and trade Miller and get another big man in...that way they could still contend for a title and also help pave the way for the development of Mills as a genuine backup and not just a pine rider...

Reply #264110 | Report this post

cartz  
Years ago

blazers are making a big mistake, mills will be a great point guard for them, better than blake

Reply #264111 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Seriously, what do you guys know about Mills that the Blazers and their coaching staff and trainers don't? I mean, they have read the scouting reports (hence him dropping to 55), they watch him every day and they make a valid assessment based on what they see, but a few internet fanboys on Oz seem to know that he will be better than the guys he is competing against? Apart from a man crush, what are you guys basing this on?

Reply #264113 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

TC2 - his attitude, growth, development and hunger.

Witnessed first hand by many on here since he was tearing up the U18 (and possibly U16's?) nationals for ACT.
Being amazed at his speed, shooting and continual hunger - the kid averaged 30+ at a nationals tournament.

Sure the NBA boys have their current scout on him, but ppl on here are basing their opinion on what they've seen of the kid over the past 6 of so years at nationals tourny's, AIS games, then following college & boomers ball.

Reply #264117 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The annoying thing is that if they left him in the NBDL he would of played in the NBDL Showcase and had 4-5 more games played already.
So why did they bother putting him on the bench for a few NBA games.
Blake was out for a couple of them but they only used him in one game anyway.

Oh well tear it up in the NBDL for a few more games Patty and force yourself into the rotation.

Reply #264119 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

@bobby

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/01/blazers_guard_steve_blake_says.html

"On Sunday, Blake not only looked recovered, he looked peppy on the court, at times blowing past Mills while displaying some moves that drew some "oohs" from assistant Bill Bayno."

Anyhow, this is good for Mills. If he tears it up in the DLeague he is still getting press and being noticed by scouts. If he is on the end of the Blazers bench only the Portland coaching staff get to see him in training..

Reply #264120 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I assumed it was a given that he would drop back down after blake came back. I don't think he got on court in any of the other games he suited for. The main thing is that when he goes back he puts up strong numbers and keeps him in the blazers thinking so they know he is developing.

From what i gather the blazers have not made any mid season trade in several years so a blake/miller trade is less likely.

Reply #264122 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

It's hard to develop in a league where everyone plays for themself. It might be good to get some conditioning in the D-League, but seriously, the D-League is junk ball! It heavily favours the guards as they are the ones that handle the ball.

Patty will get plenty of opportunities to shine in the D-League, but the quality of play and games is nowhere near NBA level. I hope he goes back, tears it up for a few games and then either gets a chance with the Blzers of around 10 minutes per game, or gets traded to a team that needs a player like him. Spending the rest of the season in D-League IMO would not do Patty any good.

Reply #264123 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

"his attitude, growth, development and hunger.

Witnessed first hand by many on here since he was tearing up the U18 (and possibly U16's?) nationals for ACT.
Being amazed at his speed, shooting and continual hunger - the kid averaged 30+ at a nationals tournament.

Sure the NBA boys have their current scout on him, but ppl on here are basing their opinion on what they've seen of the kid over the past 6 of so years at nationals tourny's, AIS games, then following college & boomers ball."

What is to say that Blake and Bayless don't have that same hunger etc for the game? What is to say that if they were put in the same situation that they wouldn't do better than what Mills has done?

Reply #264125 | Report this post

The situation in Portland was always going to be tough initiation for Patty.. they got an experienced veteran in Miller as they thought it would help them in the playoffs, Blake is a big favourite of the coach and of Brandon Roy importantly as he will just pass it to Roy and stand in the corner waiting for the three, especially when their offense goes all isolation plays for Roy in the fourth quarter.

Then Bayless is seen as their future point guard and has bigger raps on him in Portland than Patty.. and of course Rudy Fernandez can play of the ball with Roy playing a little point.. so its a real bugger for him. But at 55 they were obviously surprised he was there and had to take him as it was the best pick available.

Apparently the owner Paul Allen is a fan which is evidently why he got the final roster spot. Now if all those injuries were to some of the point guards Patty would of got a shot, but just a shame for him it was everyone else.

So the short of that is Patty didn't get drafted to the best team for him, but we will see what they do in the off season. As a Portland fan I hope they move Blake as he's expendably with Rudy there, who can do everything Blake can but better. I rate Patty way more than Blake (seriously Blake is one of the worst points in the league and he just takes minutes of more talented guys and it frustrates a lot of Portland fans.. i'd take Brett Maher all day everyday over Blake) and maybe Patty can develop along with Bayless and perhaps out do him.

Another question is Patty's defense and how he will go against some of the bigger point guards posting him up. I actually don't see this as a huge issue, but it gets mentioned a bit (in fairness all little guys get stereotyped like this). But seeing Aaron Brooks burn us in the playoffs i'd see Patty having a place in this team. Also I watched JJ Barea burn the Blazers a few weeks back and they must lick their chops when Blake is defending them!! There's a few speedy point guards in the west who always give Portland trouble so perhaps that will help him.

So in short!!, he's clearly ranked as the 4th point guard and with reason (reputation, experience etc), but I think he may have a place on the team next year, he just has to show the team he deserves it. Id love to see patty play with Portland but it may be he will need to go somewhere else to get the opportunity. Don't think it will be easy but i'm sure he will find a place in the NBA.

Reply #264131 | Report this post

blacktown  
Years ago

"at times blowing past Mills"

- another anti-Patrick Mills sentiment. NBA fans hasn't forgiven Mills yet for blowing past USA best guards including Kobe and the combination of their 3 best point guards.

TC2, Blake will not going to improve anymore. he is journeyman unlike Mills who's got lots of upsides still to show and still young.

Reply #264133 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

If Sundiata Gaines stays at the Utah Jazz, I think it's almost a given Mills' numbers for the Idaho Stampede would be huge. I know I'm probably biased but in his two D-League games which I watched online, Mills still 'got his' while playing good team basketball, creating several opportunities for others, whilst Gaines and Tolliver in particular, jacked it up incessantly without conscience.

The funniest example I recall was the end of the second match where Gaines held it up for the game winner and drove into a lane which seemingly had 100 people in it and consequently made the lamest move ever. Cue Mills, the shortest player on court, to snap up the O-board and nonchalantly put back the game winner with one second on the clock.

Reply #264134 | Report this post

thanks kad.. I agree with this comment on that blog!!

"No offense, but I have a hard time buying that unless Mills was caught off-guard or screened, etc. Now let me ask this: How many times did Mills blow past Blake? ...exactly! I need some film proof to buy this!"

I'm yet to see Blake blow past anyone, let alone Patty.. unfortunately some will read that as an indication of a lack of defense from Patty, but I don't buy it either. Bet Patty left Blake chasing shadows, but those reporters won't mention that (that quick guy is a tool!).

Reply #264137 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

blacktown, if Blake doesn't improve (not that I mentioned he would) how do you know that Mills is going to have a better career than what Blake has?

I could be asking the same "how do you know?" question to everything, but I won't. All I am saying is that I see plenty of people supporting Mills and expecting him to be in the team right now but they are ignoring the fact that he just might not be good enough.

Reply #264141 | Report this post

crowfan  
Years ago

on the positive side, the idaho stampede are one of the better sides to play for in the D-League, i read an article on espn recently about the d-league and idaho was mentioned as the team with the best record for nba call ups..

Reply #264148 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Man love should at times be enough to justify bias on - especially in the case of the greatest Australian PG since philthy phil.

Reply #264156 | Report this post

blacktown  
Years ago

TC2,

lets forget how he torched up teams last olympics. but do you think Blake will have those scoring output that Mills had even if its only in D-League? the answer is NO. then there you go.

and what's the height difference of Chris Paul, T.J. Ford, Derek Fisher, Chris Duhon, Mike Conley, Mo Williams height to Mills?

answer: same height or no more than an inch!

so why they haven't got too many issues in defense such they can easily be posted up as what we are trying to throw against Mills?

Reply #264157 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Huh? Where did I mention his height being an issue?

And thanks for asking me that question and then answering it too. It sure put me on the right track, I don't know what I was thinking before you showed such phenomenal reasoning.

It was so good in fact that I emailed the Blazers and pointed out that Blake couldn't score that much in D League. They will surely consider starting Mills now. I can't believe they have been so ignorant!

Reply #264176 | Report this post

blacktown  
Years ago

huh? clearly that will be your next agenda. good that you do that so Mills can start now and soon will be the commissioner of NBA. happy?

Reply #264177 | Report this post

Thing with Blake and role players of his ilk is that when the right opportunity arises they need to make the most of it and he has as a point guard next to Brandon Roy. He hits the open three, but cannot create his own shot, exploit mismatches or defend particularly well.

But he does not need the ball and happily plays his role and follows the coaches directions.. kinda safe and steady. But I would rank Mills ahead of Blake in ball handling, distribution and ability to create his own shot from what I have seen (which is Blazers on the web and Patty for Oz, college and D League) Of course the coaches know more but everyone can form an opinion from what they see.

But all this does not mean Patty is a better fit for Portland as his style may not mesh with Roy and Nate McMillans very slow offense. Time will tell.

And I mentioned height blacktown, just as its been mentioned that hes small and could be exploited, but obviously its a myth as hes the same as Johnny Flynn, Aaron Brooks, Chris Paul and heaps of other guys.

Reply #264178 | Report this post

LA  
Years ago

Reply #264188 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

patty mills got head and shoulders past the 'world' at the last olympics.

nobody else did !!

Reply #264201 | Report this post

chucker  
Years ago

Back to the start of the post, Mills was called up so the Blazers would have the league required minimum of 8 healthy players. With Blake back, theres no point him sitting there behind a veteran player, one who Portland went and picked up as a free agent a few years ago.

Reply #264222 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

TC2 (264125) - you weren't asking for a comparision between Blake & Mills, you were asking why there was so much love for Mills (264113). I'm pretty sure i answered that question (264117).

Reply #264224 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

"....seem to know he will be better than the guys he is competing against? Apart from a man crush, what are you guys basing this on?"

That was what I asked.

Reply #264235 | Report this post

blacktown  
Years ago

"....seem to know he will be better than the guys he is competing against? Apart from a man crush, what are you guys basing this on?"

That was what I asked.

again, just a reminder for you TC2:

this is .com.au website! hope you get it

Reply #264236 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I'd like to see Mills do well too but I'm not going to make claims that he is better than this guy or that guy just because he is an Aussie. That's ridiculous.

Reply #264253 | Report this post

blacktown  
Years ago

"I'd like to see Mills do well too but I'm not going to make claims that he is better than this guy or that guy just because he is an Aussie"

yes, we're not that stupid to expect and ask for something that doesnt exist. of course you wish he's gonna fail because you're not an aussie.

so stop bullshitting around because we only want the best for Mills.

Reply #264256 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

What the hell are you on about? I'm not an Aussie?

Reply #264261 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

TC2 is making some fairly reasonable observations, IMO. Mills is a rookie coming off a long term injury, Blake is a proven veteran PG who has been playing pretty well. Nuff said.

Blacktown, NBA media actually hyped Mills up over his Olympic play. I don't recall any bad press after he 'torched' the USA Team. In fact, the players and coaches gave glowing interviews about his speed and poise. To say that a reporter is in some way getting revenge for reporting on Steve Blake's play during a training session is a bit of a stretch.

No doubt everyone wants to see Mills do as well as he can, but I don't agree that the Blazers should be playing him significant minutes given their already depleted line-up. They need veteran heads at the moment.

Reply #264269 | Report this post

Hey TC2, from what you have seen of Blake and Mills play how would you compare them? Ive seen them both play quite a bit and have formed an opinion on their skills. Of course players need to fit a role on the team and the question will be if Patty will fill a need for the Blazers.

And remember this is a basketball forum and people are going to compare players, have favourites, question why coaches insist on playing player A over player B.

Im a Blazer fan and if Patty was rubbish I wouldnt want him taking minutes over someone else, same as I wouldnt want an Adelaide born guy getting minutes for the sixers over someone more talented just as hes a local.

But as he is a talented guy I would love him playing ahead of Blake as the third point guard for the Blazers. And most Blazers fans rank Blake pretty low and think Patty a better prospect and will give them something different.

But anyway going around in circles here, just hope Patty does well in the D League now and gets to play after his injury.

Reply #264278 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I have no problem with Mills, nor do I want to see him fail. I was trying to understand how and why people have made claims such as he will be an iconic baller, and better than Blake etc, or even why his juniors record is good enough to give him the nod to be played ahead of Blake and Bayless.

Mills is obviously a lot quicker and more athletic than Blake. Blake is a controlled player, and has the veteran leadership that the Blazers need. Blake is no all star but I think he has done enough in his career to justify any team having him as their back up. Wasn't he even starting alongside Miller this season?

Reply #264282 | Report this post

The fact that Blake was starting ahead of Miller, then Roy went to small forward to accommodate a Miller/Blake back court, as well as Bayless getting little game time did not make the coach very popular (all the injuries may of saved him this year) and had fans questioning Roys influence on the team, as he says he is more comfortable with Blake with him.

Especially a eastern roadtrip earlier in the season where Blake played two straight 30+ minute games and went scoreless and had more turnovers than assists!!

I rate him behind Miller and Bayless but believe hes better than Blake. Just checked out Blazersedge, which is the biggest Blazers blog/forum and most comments revolve around wishing they could send Blake to D League, trade Blake and give Patty a shot to see what he can offer.

Reply #264295 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

...and my Mills Blazers jersey came in the mail today. Did I jump the gun?

No regrets! :D

Reply #264314 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Nice tickle, will be a collector's item at least.

What did it cost AUD$?

Reply #264316 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

They'd obviously sold out of his D-League jersey.

;-)

Reply #264318 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - how much was it? Might get one myself!

I know you can order them through the NBA website and have whichever player's name on the team you desire.

Reply #264320 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mills not playing for Blazxers today - I have confirmed that he has been re-assigned back to the Idahop Stampede in the D-League as suspected.

Link: http://linky.com.au/7kzo8

Reply #264324 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Got it from the Blazers store. It was $40, but of course you get slugged with about the same amount for shipping.

Reply #264332 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

TC2- I'm with you

Reply #264436 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Patty Mills returns to on-court action for the Idaho Stampede coincidentally against the team he has had great success against so far, the Reno Bighorns!

You can watch all the D-League action live and for free through the NBA D-League's Futurecast through this link: http://linky.com.au/xr75r

Reply #264455 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

thanks fellow american LA Boy. its good to know that we can still kick some asses even here in australian forum because i fell that the moderator is an american too deleting pro-australian views.

Reply #264564 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754