Home games in bold.

Gold Coast (away)
Melbourne (away)
New Zealand (away)
Melbourne (away)
Townsville (home)
Townsville (away)
Wollongong (home)

Not that there've been any all season, but definitely no easy games there. If Adelaide are to slip through to the play-offs, they will need to win both home games and sneak at least one on the road but probably two?

I don't think many fans will be overly optimistic, but we can hope! A lot rests on this weekend as the team face the Blaze on Friday and Melbourne on Saturday.

Topic #22080 | Report this topic

Jake  
Years ago

Here's my prediction:

Gold Coast (away) Win
Melbourne (away) Loss
New Zealand (away) Loss
Melbourne (away) Loss
Townsville (home) Win
Townsville (away) Loss
Wollongong (home) Loss

Reply #264250 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

We need to win at least 4 of those 7, and I would suggest 5.

Home games should be a W.

Gold Coast would be tight, but we need a W to get onto the right foot. They are 9:1 at home, so a W would really get the spirits up high. I say that game is the deciding game. A win gives us momentum, an L slows us a bit, but gives hope
I fear Melbourne is our bogey side this season, we need to get both of those as W's
New Zealand is always hard in NZ, but hey we did it last season and are 6:4 at home
Townsville (A) -they are 7:3 at home which says we have a 30% chance

Reply #264251 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

To be honest, I only see 2 wins in there, both the home games.

Reply #264254 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

There's a Croc Supporters Tour for our game in Adelaide on the 30th about 45 or 50 of us coming.

I'll be there so I'd love to meet you all there.

Reply #264257 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ill be there DJ Rod. Good to see a tour happening.

Reply #264259 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

The New Zealand game is the big one as they will be the other team fighting for the final spot. I'd expect Wollongong to fall out of the race - although obviously we still need to take care of them at home. I think if we beat NZ and Wollongong plus one other that should be enough.

Reply #264263 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Nice one DJ Rod...

I always think it's good to see a supporters road trip, at Smyth's last game there was a large contingent of Taipans fans (thanks for helping push the crowd total to over 8000 guys =)).

Reply #264274 | Report this post

front court  
Years ago

Gold Coast (away) Win
Melbourne (away) Loss
New Zealand (away) Loss
Melbourne (away) Loss
Townsville (home) Win
Townsville (away) Loss (should be a close game)
Wollongong (home) Win

Reply #264291 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

There is buckley's chance that a team with a 13-15 record will nab the last finals berth. I believe a team will need at least 14 and a season series split over other teams, but more likely 15 wins.

The teams in contention are:
Wollongong (played 21, 11-10)
Adelaide (played 21, 10-11)
New Zealand (played 21, 9-12)
Melbourne (played on 17, 7-10, having 4 games in hand on the other teams).

To reach 15 wins, Wollongong needs to win 4 of 7, Adelaide 5 of 7, NZ 6 of 7, and Melbourne 8 of 11.

Wollongong are still in the box seat, and I think that their long-awaited demise will not eventuate. They are a good enough team, even without Ty McKee.

Wollongong's remaining schedule is:
16 Jan v Gold Coast
20 Jan v Townsville
22 Jan @ Townsville
04 Feb @ New Zealand
06 Feb v Gold Coast
12 Feb v Melbourne
13 Feb @ Adelaide

Wollongong are 9-1 at home and have a positive season record because they play the best structured team basketball of anyone in the comp. Their games against Gold Coast, Townsville, Melbourne and Adelaide are all winnable. I think Wollongong are a chance of winning 5 of their last 7, but should win at least 3.

Adelaide has season series standings against the other competitors as follows:
Hawks: lead 2-1 with a +25 points
Breakers: trailing 1-2 with -11 points
Tigers: trailing series 0-2 with -14 points

The equation as I see it is that Adelaide need to:
1. win 5 games, or 4 games with Wollongong only winning 3;
2. not lose the final home game to Wollongong by more than 25; and
3. have both Melbourne and NZ finish with less wins, as we are likely to lose both season series.

The last finals spot could easily be decided in the last game at home against the Hawks, but we could also easily blow it well before then. At the moment, I can't see where even 4 more wins for the Sixers are going to come from with only two home games remaining.

Reply #264309 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I wouldn't underestimate winning in Melbourne. Tigers have been lucky so far against us this year. Their only luck so far has been our teams lack of consistency.

If the Sixers can combine the 1st half of every game this season with the 2nd half of last nights game, you've got a team that could win nearly every game there.

Just up to the players and coaches if they can keep it up.

Reply #264334 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The Tigers (8-10) just beat NZ (9-13) in a huge come from behind win. Keeps the Tiger's resurgence alive, but puts a huge dent in NZ's hopes of a late revival. The Tigers are in good form and probably only need 7 of the next 10 to secure a finals berth.

Reply #264344 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

You'd think if they beat us here twice and are in better form now that we've got no hope in Melbourne.
They may even add another Import that's trialling with them, if he fits.
Having said that you can't pick a winner this season and our best 3 players were down, last night. We've won games without playing well. NZ outta form we may be able to pinch that one. Maybe 2 at home.
Couldn't we beat Melbourne at least once this season?
and we're a chance tomorrow.

Reply #264346 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I think because of the amount of away games we have left, we won't make it.
Gold Coast should beat us tomorrow.
We should win 1 of the Melbourne games, but with the possibility of them adding an import, to go with a healthy Anstey, Worthington, Hodge, MacKinnon etc. they are a pretty good team and would beat most teams on their night.
Neither of those home games are a given. We only beat Townsville on a prayer by Gilchrist last time, and they seem to be a good travelling side. Wollongong are much more beatable without McKee, but their structure works well consistantly, while we are far more erratic.
Townsville are almost as beatable away as they are at home, so the away game is winnable.
New Zealand have been very vulnerable at home this season. And losing tonight further proves that. Remains to be seen how this new import will go, don't really see how adding another guard will help them, and losing Abercrombie is a big loss.

I think we'll beat Wollongong, Townsville once, Melbourne once and maybe one other (either do the double on Townsville or beat New Zealand).
4 wins shouldn't be enough. But if Wollongong fall off the rails, we'd be in the box seat to take the last spot.

New Zealand have a comparable run home to us, but are 1.5 wins behind us (we've won 1 more, they've played one more). They've got Gold Coast twice (H&A), Adelaide (H), Wollongong (H), Cairns (A), Townsville (A). If we win 4, they need to win all but 1. They should lose to Gold Coast at least once. Townsville, Adelaide and away to Cairns are danger games for them.

Wollongong have Gold Coast (H*2), Townsville (H&2A), Adelaide (A), New Zealand (A), Melbourne (H). They'd need probably 4 wins because we'll win the season split. Should beat Gold Coast at least once, Townsville at least once, and Melbourne, which leaves 1 more win they need. Whether that be both home games against Gold Coast or one of the away games to Townsville, I think they will do it.

Reply #264364 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754