skull
Years ago

community owned nbl model

as this season is nearing end, i thought i'd ask what everyones opinions are on the c/o models in wollongong and cairns.
imo the cairns model does not have a long life term,every year will be a struggle to make ends meet and win games.
if you cant afford the players or stop getting wins, the punters stop coming and the cash flow dries up.
like any business you need an over-draft/owner to soak up those losses.
cairns city council will not.

i understand the gongers have secured a mining magnate as a part owner who can probably use his losses as a tax break.

maybe the community owned model is better suited to a second tier league under the nbl.

i still dont see a white knight on the horizon for cairns and they are going to struggle to stay alive until one appears.

Topic #22082 | Report this topic

Modern Girl  
Years ago

Reply #264437 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754