shano
Years ago

Bye Bye Season

In my opinion thats the season gone..im no expert, have been a fan for over 20 years, i dont know if sacking ninnis is the snaswer, but if i waS building a team for next season id keep herbert, ng, burston, jacob and maybe hill (talented but erratic). oh and ballinger, of course! No way id have cortez or gilchrist back, groves was a gun but time has passed him by, gilchrist is talented but inconsistent and to me is not a true point guard.

I cant see us winning 4 or 5 of the last 7 required to make playoffs, and i tip a tigers championship.

Topic #22093 | Report this topic

dave  
Years ago

Shano, I think you have hit the nail right on the head. Agreed and seconded. Perhaps its time to seek out other coaches like Mark Leader who has game experience and knows basketball.

Reply #264518 | Report this post

Dief  
Years ago

Of course getting rid of Ninnis is the answer

Reply #264519 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I wouldn't sack Groves because what I saw on Wednesday night was not just 1 good game from him but evidence of confidence gained. By giving him the responsibility of being part of the starting lineup saw him shine in that role. I would be nurturing that situation rather than saying he only had 1 good game and should go. Gilchrist is a different matter. I have never seen total control of the team from him as a PG. He does not bring good chemistry to the team and this late in the season, the team still look totally lost as to what he is trying to achieve. I felt a lot more comfortable on Wednesday when Groves assumed the PG role. He looked more controlled and looked to have purpose on court. There are only 2 players I would replace next season and that is Gilchrist and Hill. Hill has had enough experience in the NBL to be playing at a higher level and yet he looks like he is going backwards instead of progressing forwards. Not sure if it is an attitude problem with him now that his father is a part owner of the team. He may think that this guarantees a spot for him without having to work for it.

Reply #264529 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

It may well be, i dont doubt his passion for the club and his relationship with the players, but his energy spent on riding the refs may be better used elsewhere..not that the refs dont deserve it, just that it never changes anything anyway. Still, will be cheering them on for the last 6 games, hope they upset hodge 2moro.

Reply #264530 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

to both shano and dave l agree 100% with your comments and yes replacing the coach is the first step then tez followed by gilly and time the club looked at the more successful clubs and how they sign players .l dont think that signing players who dont fit the team can help.l like both players but that does not win games .a am freaking out at our next game at the cage because after tonights game l can only see more pain for us

Reply #264533 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Hey guys, you cannot always rely on the imports to win you games, the Australian players we have are just not good enough, and the coaching group is shocking. Let's sum this team up, Herbert last season averaged about 10 minutes a game on a championship team, but here in Adelaide all the fans(including Boti) think without him the sixers cannot win and he should be starting and playing huge minutes. Dont get me wrong he is a very good player, but it sums up the talent and how good this sixers roster really is and how far we are from a having a good team.

Reply #264540 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Statman you were right again.

(my apologies sixers fans for being criptic)

Reply #264545 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

A, you have a point around imports v australian players however imports are always going to be the first to cop the flak when things go wrong. I think from the people sitting in our block, the issues are Johnny G sooking and being somewhat unsportsmanlike and Cortez just taking wild shots. These guys are accomplished players but just dont fit with the team. Last nights figures suggest BIG change is required.
SOS have done many great things for this club in their tenure ship but perhaps spending $ is the key rather than opting for average to good players.

Reply #264557 | Report this post

Truley  
Years ago

Remember that SOS came in at the last minute, and there wasn't really much in the way of options.

Not really Ninnis's fault we have a number of pieces that just don't fit together well.

Will be more important how they upgrade and improve over the off-season.

Agree that they will need to pay some $, but with Sydney and Brisbane coming in, there will be some movement and some teams will lose some players.

If they could;

Improve import point guard. (Harder than it shounds unless you can pinch Homocide or McKee)

Upgrade Groves with a better wing(Easier, but still hit or miss)

Replace Molitor with a good aussie point guard. (Like a Rhys Carter, who can play 20+ minutes.

Then replace Cooper with an U23 backup to Burston (ie Dodman)

Would then give Ninnis 1 more year with a make it or break it season. Give him the ultimatum at the start of the season.

Reply #264559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I totally agree that we need to find another Coach. I know half of you will be in shock when I say this but Bring back Phil & Steve. Can Groves and Gilly ASAP And take a serious look a the trainer. Is he/they qualified to work with this team? Is he/they from a Basketball background or implementing the right programs etc for the guys? They dont seem as fit as previous seasons. The Trainer should be someone with an extensive background that knows the sport atleast (which I don't know if they are so am raising that point)As FOR SOS YES GOOD WORK COMING IN LATE, but you pay penuts, you get monkeys, right. Lessons to be learnt from this "bridging season" as I heard it being referred to earlier in the year. I agree that players will be sourcing other options next season if we keep Ninnis. Lets hope Ballinger, Herbert, NG and Burston aren't amoung them. I wonder if the SOS have asked the guys straight out how they feel about Ninni's coaching? and if they would be honest and comment? Just a thought.

Reply #264566 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

replace Cooper with Dodman....HAHAHAHAHAAHA sorry but that fat bastard is useless

Reply #264578 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Anon - it's ridiculous to think that the team is less fit than previous years - our losses and finishing of games has nothing to do with our level of fitness but more to do with our effort level.

Reply #264579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Physical fitness should be at it's best to back up mental toughness though, don't you think? That's my opinion.

Reply #264580 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Cooper for Dodman? Are you kidding me?

Both are useless pricks with butter fingers and do not belong in a 36ers uniform. I hope Coops is sent packing after this season, I can't stand the man anymore. It's past his best.

Reply #264596 | Report this post

ariel 70  
Years ago

YES I TOTALLY AGREE THAT LOSING TO MELBOURNE TONIGHT MIGHT BE THE END FOR US FOR THIS SEASON BUT VERY GLAD TO SEE THAT WE PUT UP A FIGHT AT LEAST AND ONLY LOST BY 2PTS
AS FOR NEXT SEASON I DO THINK BOTH GILCHRIST AND GROVES HAVE TO GO AND REALLY GET 2 IMPORTS WITH AN ALL ROUND GAME AND IF NINNIS STAYS AS COACH THEN AT LEAST GET 2 ASSISTANT COACHES WITH A LOT MORE BASKETBALL EXPERIENCE THAN THE 2 WE HAVE NOW
OUR RECRUITING FOR NEXT SEASON HAS TO BE SPOT ON JUST LOOK AT MELBOURNE TIGERS FROM BOTTOM OF THE LADDER TO MAKING THE FINALS WE MIGHT NOT LIKE JULIUS HODGE ANYMORE BUT THEY WERE RIGHT IN BRINGING HIM IN TO THEIR TEAM FOR THIS SEASON
BUT MIRACLES DO HAPPEN AND 6ERS STILL HAVE CHANCE TO MAKE THE TOP FOUR AND I FOR ONE WONT GIVE UP HOPE

Reply #264672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aeiel70, my thoughts exactly.

That's how a true supporter see's it.

Hats off boys for a nail biter and fight to the finish.

Atleast you whipped the tail from between your legs and fought hard.

I'll be back next year, but I'll clutch onto a little hope for that miracle now also! ;)

Reply #264681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both are useless pricks with butter fingers and do not belong in a 36ers uniform. I hope Coops is sent packing after this season, I can't stand the man anymore. It's past his best.

I hope Coops and Dodman BOTH meet you in a dark alley and send YOU packing! Pathetic. Totally uncalled for and worthless, harsh opinion. Where is the constructive critisism or viability in that post? It was just a distastful, uneducated and spiteful opinion.

Reply #264683 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The season isn't over until the fat lady sings IMO.

Reply #264706 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Great effort to be in it the whole way. Came back a couple of times. Pity couldn't have made last play and pulled off the upset.
Tech was costly. Next time, pick it up when they have possession.
I don't think you can fault the performance. Should be a good game v Breakers next week.

Reply #264711 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

ariel 70, this is the same argument we have been having at this stage of the season for the last 4 seasons. I am sick to death of looking to make improvements for the next season that don't eventuate. Its about bloody time we started singing the praises of a good season had rather than continuously look at how it can be improved next season. Sure there are players that have to go but no matter how well you recruit, nothing good is going to come out of it if you have a useless coach. As far as I am concerned his use by date has well and truly expired. By the way, a loss is a loss no matter how well they played and how close the score, especially against the Tigers who had already won all the games they had played against us.

Reply #264716 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

ariel Hodge has had some good games of late but Anstey is the man who has made the difference for Melbourne, offensively, defensively and just the attitude and fight he brings to the game.

Reply #264719 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

IMO it's time to start preparing for next season. Tell Ninnis now that this is the end of the road. If he walks now then fair enough. Anyone know what Guy Molloy or Allan Black are doing these days?? Goorj is out of the financial ballpark and I suspect Black is high priced as well.

Time to tell both Tez and Gilchrist that there services are not required for next season. The problem with Gilchrist is that when he is good, he is very very good, but when he's bad it's rock bottom. There is no 'in between' with him. Tez is just done as an import.

I'd like to see a one consistent player as the next import. I don't want to see a 35ppg import, I want a import that can look like he's having a bad game, but still put up a quite 16-20ppg and a handful of rebounds or assists (Mr McKee please raise your hand).

I'd also like to see them make a choice between Ng and Hill. Choose which one they want to run with. I've asked the question before, and I didn't really get an answer, but I don't think that Hill and Ng can co-exist on the floor together. Personally, I'd be going with Ng.

'Great effort' is something you say to an under 14 team when they lose, it is called 'blowing smoke up someones arse'. If professional players ain't putting in 100% effort then they can piss off and steal money from else where.

Reply #264722 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

What's Ian Stacker up to these days? Or even Alan Black. Or Adrian Hurley?

Reply #264758 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is that the Ian Stacker who got dropped by the Crocs (mid-range team failing to succeed) or Alan Black (big-budget stacked team that failed also)? How would they be an improvement?

Reply #264785 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

TR, I have always agreed with your assessment of Ng/Hill. I also agree on the outcome. Both are essentially spot up shooters, Ng the better shooter, Hill with more potential to be a half competent slasher.

Problem is both are the sons of members of the ownership group. Whilst it would be nice to think that nepotism doesn't come into these things, how does a coach tell the owner who pays his bills, 'no, I don't want your son?' Even more so when one of those parents is the assistant coach.

For the Sixers to gain any cred this off season, Hill needs to step down as assistant coach, and the coaching group then have to be given free reign on all re-siginings.

Reply #264787 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Whatever the changes for next season; the priority for me would be to hang onto Ballinger for as long as possible (preferably do a Davis/Maher and keep him for the rest of his career).

The basis for the team should be the likes of Ng, Ballinger and Herbert; personally I think Schensher was a better pairing for Balls instead of Burston (despite Burston's skill - taking nothing away from him). So I'd look at getting him back next season if possible.

I think Hill needs to go. Not that he can't develop into a great player, but I think it would be better he develop with another team and free up his place on the Roster. Yes, he can hit shots; yes, he can rebound; but also YES, he can do a Julius and turnover the ball when he tries to get fancy.

Ng needs to start more and get a few more 15+ppg games under his belt. Definately worth starting at the 2 if he can maintain that standard.

Reply #264790 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I would be looking to add one more quality Aussie to the line-up, and I would be targeting Mark Worthington. I would like to see a line up like this:

PG: Import pass-first PG, Luke Martin/Luke Kendall
SG: Import SG/SF, Ng
SF: Worthington, Herbert
PF: Ballinger, Under 23
C: Burston, Cooper

Worthington can slide to cover Ballinger, and gives us better height across the team.

The biggest problem is I can't see how we can fix up the backcourt unless we find two imports who fit what we need and work well together.

Reply #264792 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree with TR that decisions have to be made now for next season and get on front foot straight away.
First decision of course is the coach and now even I am off fence sitting and say Scotty is not up to it . I agree with XY that maybe Hill should not remain as a Ass Coach .
On a replacement coach the ideal type required is I hate say it ,is the Goorg.
However as we dont want club to go broke then with my limited knowledge I would be opting for Guy Molloy
as think type of coach we need and has a good work ethic background.
Next easy choices to replace are Coops as time is up and Groves as he might have some ability but one of most frustrating players I have seen play for Sixers . Molitor a obvious need to improve on as u-23
The decision on Gilchrist is a litle harder as can play when brain in tune and when on adds a lot but a long way from being a team player and unless new coach thought could change his way of playing then you would have to look elsewhere .
I know did not have a huge season I wonder with Cairns unlikelyI wonder what posters views on Ubaka as a cheap import.
I would keep both Hill and NG as both have something to offer and gradual improvement in there D.
Holmes and Herbert are must for their D and aggression as badly needed in this team.
Burston if can keep him fit has abilty to be best big man in NBL and even more upside than Schens.
Ballinger is essential to this team but needs structure around him to get best benefits.
But has been dissapointing on many occassions this season
Just hope SOS can make quick strong decisions for themselves and clubs supporters

Reply #264793 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems Goorjian's ballpark is outta our ballpark.
Not quite sure that it is.
I'd think a Lewis-Fuss consortium would have the bucks and I think we get a few more dollars for home finals.
Anyways - He does things a little differently.
80% defence. 10players rotating, doesn't like a player sitting on the bench for much more than 2mins.
(Aw - that's what I used to do when I coached.)
Coach asked owners was he expected to sign Ng-Hill.
"No." They said " It's YOUR call. "
I'd guess new coach should call our signings. Might have some players he wants and doesn't want.
Seems a long time ago we played home finals.

Reply #264794 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TR, I agree that we should look for a new coaching staff next season. Earlier in the season I had hoped that there would be enough growth in this team to maintain a good deal of continuity, but I'm just not seeing it. If I were ownership, I wouldn't be giving Ninnis any messages until the season finishes though. If you do that, there is no incentive for the coaching staff to do their best for the remaining games and its not fair on Sixers fans or the league for the team to just mail it in.

As to who you bring in to coach, that is a tough question. Isaac has pointed out that some of the available Aussie coaches have their flaws too. Goorjian would be worth considering, but I suspect he will ask too much.

I just wonder if we need to repeat history? Bring in an ambitious young American coach with no preconceptions about/ connections to, any of the players around the club? Someone who will clean house, handpick new talent and drill it effectively for a couple of seasons. Someone who will create a new culture around the club that has basically been moribund for the best part of the last decade.

Also, just wondering why you think Ng and Hill can't coexist together? I agree there is a problem at the moment, because neither has proven they can consistently win their position as a starter. But I think if we could get a coaching staff that would DEVELOP both players, they could work together very well - Hill at SF and Ng at SG. Ng is your classic SG and Hill can shoot from range and slash quite effectively/ create his own shot when he has some confidence (which I have seen precious little of this season).

With the season now essentially shot, I really hope Ng and Hill both get a lot more court time. The Sixers HAVE to get enough information to decide once and for all if one or both or neither has a future as a starter. Import choices can then be made next season accordingly and the club will know what Aussie talent needs to be pursued as well. Not saying any of these guys could be had, but for example, do we pursue a Liam Rush, or a Chris Goulding, or a Damian Martin?

Reply #264798 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cleaning house in an off-season with two new teams would be suicide and, as such, I would be making limited changes to the Australian contingent. Saves getting into bidding wars if you keep part of what you've got and get new unknown imports.

Can't afford Worthington *and* good imports. Probably best to keep Holmes (Wortho-lite) with Ballinger rather than Worthington *and* Ballinger.

Besides Goorjian, another option is Clarke. Other than that, the rest are unavailable or another gamble.

Reply #264802 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac, I probably used the wrong term in saying 'clean house'. Certain players were kept by both Monson and Dunlap. What I meant was really just a fresh set of eyes who would evaluate all our players and make the tough decisions about who is worth persevering with and who is not. That might mean dumping a lot players or it might mean only two or three.

I hope we can keep guys like Hill and Ng and they do finally 'get it' and become quality starters for the Sixers, but its got to the stage where they need to become consistent soon or someone might need to take the tough decision to go in a different direction.

Reply #264808 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Would Hill and Ng get a spot on a roster next season given two new teams are coming in? Highly likely I'd say, so I would think carefully before getting rid of either of them.

Reply #264811 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, whatever happens, you cannot win championships with only one marquee Aussie, which is all this team has at the moment (Ballinger). Hence the suggestion of Worthington. I don't think Wortho would clash with Balls, and you could always have Holmes coming off the bench to spell both.

This season was always likely to be a building season after the loss that was Maher's retirement. I don't think that our current crop of youth (Ng, Hill, Burdon, Molitor, Garlepp) are going to be the ones to step up and give us that next marquee player, and Holmes certainly is not marquee. Those signings should not be priorities

Assuming that a championship is the goal, another marquee local is a must. You then get the best complimentary players you can to fill around those marquee signings, with imports filling the gaps in Aussie talent.

Also worth pursuing the return of Brad Newley or Joe Ingles, or luring a pure PG to sure up our faltering back court like Adam Gibson (I know we have previously tried this without success). Also worth keeping in touch with Matt Dellevadova, but we have buckleys chance of getting him here.

Reply #264817 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not suggesting that we don't go for another marquee Australian, just that we couldn't afford to add Worthington and still get imports, keep Ballinger, etc under the salary cap. The Australian I'd go for would be Schenscher. He's not on buckets of money in Perth and obviously has family and friends here.

Jordan Page is another young PG, currently over in college. People are prone to labelling players as "the next x" (e.g., Weigh was the next Newley). I think someone once said Page was the next Pat Mills.

I would try for Weigh as well, with Hill as a back-up plan.

BTW, who are Townsville's marquee Australian player(s)?

Reply #264820 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm hearing what you saying Beantown, but I'm a fan of being up front. The last thing I want from my coach is the 'walking on egg shells' approach, and just waiting to be lined up and spat out. Either tell him now that he's not required, or tell him now that he's got next season.

If they tell Ninnis that next season is a no go, then he could take this a number of ways.

1) Tell them to jam it and walk away;
2) Stay and be a malcontent for the rest of the season;
3) Stay and try and prove everyone wrong;
4) Stay and bust his nut to impress someone knowing that there will be two new teams in the near future.

Reply #264821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know everyone raves about Goorijan and what a great coaching record he has....but is it a coincidence that every team he has coached has gone bankrupt??? Or in the early days had to merge to avoid going bankrupt??? Spectres, Magic, Titans, Kings, Dragons. And I also remember back in the Magic and Titans days there were alot of questions about running his players to exhaustion, hence losing his big names in the finals due to injury and relying on an inexperienced bench to finish out the season.

I am starting to think that changing the coach is not so important, sometimes no matter how much you try, you just can't change a leopards spots.

Reply #264822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nup. Keep Burston over Schensch.

Reply #264825 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't say anything about dropping Burston. He's one of my favourite players.

Reply #264827 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, re Townsville: How many championships have they won?

I could end up eating my words, but I expect this team will go the way of other overacheiving Townsville teams, and bow out after a competitive semi-finals series.

Reply #264876 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who were the Dragons' multiple marquee Australians? They had Worthington, then handy role-players like Gibson and Burston and imports that contributed, but I don't think either of those would usually be called "marquee" players.

What about the 2002 championship? Maher was a stud, Farley was a stud import, Garrison was a bit player and so were the rest. I don't think it's quite the ultimate recipe. A healthy Burston and a great import in place of either 36ers import this year would've made for a very different W-L record.

Actually, I was talking to someone about roster stuff recently and they were saying that, had Maher played another year (even accounting for games missed through injury), the team could've been 15-5 after 20 games. The main things they've missed have been clutch confidence, leadership and safe hands at the end of games. Two overtime games were gifted to the opposition, or we'd be on 12 wins.

Reply #264881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the SOS tried to use the "family" flip card on Schensch and gave him a very low offer which is why he went to Perth. Just because a player has family and friends in a state, doesn't mean they are going to play for peanuts, but having family around them would be attractive, if you know what I'm saying. I hope they recruit some better guards and hang onto our best fom this season anyways. I totally agree, we need long term players.

Reply #264890 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thank you Mrs Schench

Reply #264891 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why is there the argument of not being able to afford Ballinger plus Worthington plus 2 imports. If we got Worthington, why is it essential to get 2 imports? Worthington is better than most of the imports that have ever graced our league so what is to say we would do better with an import instead of Worthington?

Reply #264925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:37 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754