Curtley
Years ago

Patty Mills way too good for D-League

Patty managed 25 first half points, scoring only 6 in the second half in a loss to the Big Horns. Unlike the rest of the players he is prone to passing early in the offence - very un D-League of him.

I'm surprised the Blazers still have 3 PGs taking minutes and haven't traded one for someone like Jamaal Magloire or Dan Gadzuric to fill the void left by the Blazers' loss of their two main bigs.

It's awesome how it's free to watch D-League games on the net I must say.

Topic #22099 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Is great stuff, hopefully patty can continue his great D league play and hopefully Blazers think seriously about using him next season or off loading him as someone potentially useful

Reply #264740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty Mills deserves better then what the blazers have offered him.

Although on the other hand being a guard, and having players that are established NBA stars, the only option he has where he is, is to hope for injuries and do his best with the minutes he is allocated.

Please pardon my punctuation.

Reply #264763 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Patty happens to be in a league now where the level of Guard talent is extremely high. Probably more of a time where the 2-spot on a lot of teams needs to be filled (which Patty could do if teams can get over his size).

Unfortunately there's a least another 3 years before you see the like of Fisher, Nash, Iverson, Billups etc. wrapping up their NBA careers; so unless Patty can do a Brandon Jennings, he'll be playing 2nd fiddle for the next few years.

Reply #264779 | Report this post

andy  
Years ago

Patty played well but lets not forget Karl had 36 and Farmer had 41.

I don't think defense is a word even used in the D League.

Reply #264780 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Has he turned into a jumpshooter? I want to see/hear about him blowing by guys like he has done his entire career until now. That is his A+ talent at NBA level and what he will make a career out of.

Hopefully this is just a sign of getting some fitness back and overcoming his injury.

FWIW, someone on the Portland realgm board suggested that Patty was getting frustrated as the other players weren't finishing off his passes.

Reply #264795 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Not sure how anyone can say that Mills deserves better than what the Blazers have/are offering him. They signed him after he wrecked his foot at training camp, when they could have let him walk.

They called him up after only two games in the D-League following the injury. He's playing behind some decent veteran guards, and Webster has had some pretty good scoring games so far. Blake had 18 and 5 on Saturday in limited minutes, so he's playing OK as well.

Reply #264799 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

I agree Curtley, one of the few players in the league that will pass early even when not under extreme pressure.

Which is why i was gobsmacked to hear the commentators bagging him to no end a few games back about being selfish!! Wtf is with that?!

Reply #264873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to be honest, after watching the second half of that last d-league game, i'm still not convinced about Patty right now. i don't feel like his ball handling is at an elite level. we all know he's quick as hell in the open court with the ball but he doesn't really have strong 1 on 1 moves, which limits his ability to beat his man off the dribble in the half-court and get into the paint to make a play or finish. his moves are tailored to getting him his own shot off the dribble. his shot is still his best asset right now, obviously he can put up points in a hurry if it's on, and he is excellent running off screens at pace. he is quite good in a pick and roll, he got great looks running that with Samhan last year. but look at all the top undersized PGs in the NBA - cp3, Rondo, Brooks etc - they are all supreme aggressive ballhandlers - i think of Patty as a defensive ballhandler with a quick first step rather than his handle being a weapon. but he's a worker so he'll give himself every chance to succeed.

Reply #264886 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I'm not surprised to hear reports of Mills' frustration. One of the reasons Mills fell so low in the draft is a perception that he was a "shoot first" PG. His ability to score should be without question. I would say that if he is not under specific instruction from the Blazers to put up good assist numbers, then he would desire to do this anyway off his own bat. He had 13 assists in his first D-League match when he was surrounded by good shooters such as Gaines and Tolliver. Both those players have now been called up so perhaps Mills' assist numbers are down as a consequence.

Reply #264888 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I think Tolliver was still in the last game. I watched the stream after the 1st quarter and he was ok but not that great. I was watching his assists as thats what he needs to show people he is good at, and they might not have been finishing but i thought he would have had more. Still feel he can make it though and he is only a handful of games back from injury.

Reply #264928 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

Reply #264986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754