Something
Years ago

Any chance for Goorjian to coach the 36ers?

I know some of you will hate this suggestion because I know many of you absolutely hate the man due to his history with the Vic teams and Sydney.

But, like it or not, the man is a proven WINNER! Every team he's taken on has either won the championship or gone seriously close.

The last time I checked he wasn't coaching a team in the NBL and I'm pretty sure that the next team he coaches WILL be a contender. Why can't that team be the 36ers?

Topic #22103 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I'd have no problem with it. I think the Sixers need a more experienced coach next year and if they could afford Goorjian, he'd be a good option.

Reply #264818 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm willing to give him a go. As you've clearly said he always produces winners or strong runner-up's.

The 36ers need someone experienced now and he is a man who could do it if we can lure him.

I mentioned to my Mrs recently that we should consider Goorjan. She wasn't warm on the idea as she thinks of the rivarly. But I made the above points.

I know some will like it and other won't. However I reckon the haters will like it and jump on board once they see the success Goorjan will deliver.

Reply #264819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without a shadow of doubt, Goorjian would be an impressive addition, but surely we can't afford him AND the kind of players we need to be serious contenders. He would want some serious $$$ but who really knows? Maybe, just maybe, the club managed to do some reconciling of finances this season and I have everything crossed in hope that this is the case.

Ben Fitz used to comment on here all the time. Obviously the GM needs to distance himself from "forum talks", but has anybody heard the SOS or Ben mention/suggest this as a possibility?

Reply #264823 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Would love him to coach us...

Reply #264826 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Do the new owners want to go down the road of spending a shitload on a Goorjan program, only to see the club struggle financially in a few years?

Reply #264828 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

I don't think we would be able to afford his pride tag let alone the players he would want to bring.
But would be the best coach in the country (not currently in Oz though) by a mile!

Reply #264830 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Boti would go off.......he can't stand the man!!!

Reply #264831 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Maybe we could just pay him in Diet Coke. I mean he drinks enough of the stuff.

Goorjian with provide us with discipline and structure. Two things we are clearly lacking currently.

Reply #264832 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He is a great coach...but...just remember that every team he has coached in the NBL has gone BUST!

Reply #264834 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Sorry guys "Goorjian will provide" not "with provide"
My bad

Reply #264835 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Don't forget although he is a good coach, every team seems to go under after he's been there, so its a No From me lol

Reply #264836 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

His wage is high and little bit extra for players supplements. But BA have an audited salary cap of $1M, which wasn't there before, when clubs were buying the players he wanted, and going broke because of the PLAYERS salary. I think that was the objection to him from Boti and the like.
Other coaches are not available or untried.

Reply #264837 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

At the start of the season I originally hated the idea but think now that I wouldn't mind it. I know he has a boring style of Basketball however it's probably better then the inconsistent, frustrating style we are currently seeing.

Anonymous there is no way Ben would ever mention Goorjian as a possibility whilst Ninnis is still in charge. I would imagine the idea hasn't even crossed his mind yet. However, at the end of the season I'm sure he will weigh up all his options.

I thought Ninnis was still under contract for next year? If that is the case then there is no chance of a change of coach next year as SOS would not consider buying out his contract. Anyway, I think he deserves one more year but with more experienced assistant coaches.

Reply #264838 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

For this new look NBL first up season all players/coaches are on one year contracts from what I'm led to believe.

Reply #264839 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That might be the case. All players were on 1 year.
Originally Bevo was signed to go over to Perth for more than 1 year. But then there was doubt about NBL going this year and whether Perth would go in it and the like. So not sure how it ended with coaches.

Seems Maher would make a pretty good coach, but is reluctant to do it and untried. Breheny seems a good assistant. Brad Davidson might be a good assistant, maybe.
Anyways - Players salary will be $1M, with or without Goorjian. I'd guess SOS would ask him for a ballpark, then consider it. Guess we know what we are getting and I reckon the Team DOES..' need more instruction '
really. He's pretty good at that.

Reply #264843 | Report this post

illicit  
Years ago

Goorj would be awesome, but yeah his track record of clubs in financial trouble after him, makes me very wary. But Ninnis may be on the chopping block, im not against him but he isnt winning too many fans (or games i guess too lol)

Reply #264844 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Every team he has coached has been a blatant breach of the salary cap. Perhaps its more that than his coaching ability, he cheats.
Everyone forgets just how badly he failed as Australian Coach with our best ever line up.

I wouldnt want to watch our team with him running it. Adelaides always being a respectful club he would only bring us shame.

Reply #264845 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Camel 31 it appears that the one year contracts must be for players only as I have just learnt that Andrej Lemanis still has 2 years on his NZ Breakers contract.

Yeah Brett is not interested in coaching at this stage and would probably find it very uncomfortable replacing his very close friend.

If we can't get a quality Australian coach then I'm keen for a US coach (ala Mike Dunlap).

Atleast they could bring a quality import or two along for the ride.

Reply #264847 | Report this post

Blows my mind  
Years ago

If Burston played the whole season would we be 6th now?
Would you all be asking for Ninnis's and the imports heads if we were 2 or 3rd?

Lets finish the season before we replace the whole team and coaching staff.

As for Goorjian, I want the sixers to be here for the long term.

There is no way I think that SOS would even consider a Club Killer like him. SOS have not shown any signs of acting on emotion to date, and I hope their focus remains on the long term viability of the 36ers.

Reply #264850 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

what about Joyce?

Reply #264852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wrote this in one of the other threads, but I agree Goorjian might be a good coach but every team has gone bust or merged to avoid going bust...Spectres, Magic, Titans, Kings, Dragons......and to say the salary cap would stop that I don't think is true as hasn't there always been some kind of a salary cap???

I say keep Ninnis, find a new assistant coach, focus on a few import and youth development changes and see what happens next year.

Reply #264855 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Good point about the clubs once Goorjan is gone from them. I do not want that to ever happen here.

I definitely want better more experienced assistant coaches to assist Ninnis. I hate and can't stand the current ones.

Not all the changes I've wanted have happened and I'm still hoping for them.

Reply #264861 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - previously salary cap was $880,000. Not audited.
Anyways sounds like most on here prefer Ninnis to Goorjian. Sure we missed Burston. Groves under-acheived. Gilchrist liked to keep up his stats.
Disappointing to finish outta the finals agen.
Might be a few more years rebuilding gelling injuries and the like costing us finals.

Reply #264866 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

We definitely need a coaching rejig for next season. I personally wouldn't go with Goorjian because of his history of being involved with clubs that just don't survive as well as the defensive drudgery type of game that he insists on coaching. Yes, his teams are successful, but they're not entertaining to watch. Surely there are more options that could be looked into that would be a better fit for the 6ers. I think that the playing list has to be significantly altered as well. I'd look to replace Groves, Hill and Cooper as well as seeing if there are better point options than Gilchrist. His stats are good, but his attitude and style of play is questionable. I'm still not sure whether the way Gilchrist runs the offense is more his style or whether he is hampered by the offensive game that Ninnis is insisting on playing

Reply #264869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a bit off the point of this thread, but lots of people have mentioned the $1m 'audited' salary cap this season.......if the salary cap wasn't 'audited' before then why did the sixers get investigated and fined for breach of the salary cap in previous seasons??? What's the difference between then and now??

Reply #264877 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There was a period since then when the cap was overlooked. That included the Brisbane and Sydney championship years.

Reply #264880 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes - and Bruce Hodge Maher Schenscher Ballinger and the like - we would've been over, last season.
Goorj - 80% of training will be spent on defence and hard going. But commanding respect, having all players buy into what your doing.

Reply #264883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce? Are you serious! I much prefer Ninnis to Jumpin' Joyce! That man would have us Tech fouled out out of every single game! He has zero self control!

Reply #264889 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The only thing that scares me off Goorj is the financial side of things. He's one of the best coaches to ply his trade in Australia, but his financial history is a worry.

The guy I'd really like to see coach the 36ers is Rod Beveridge.

Reply #264895 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

i was just kidding Anon!

Reply #264901 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Gordie Mcleod would get my vote if we had a change

Reply #264904 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Blows my mind, Burston has not been injured for the last 4 weeks or so and yet in that time we have dropped further down the ladder. The answer to your question has to be yes we would be 6th even if he wasn't injured.

Also off course we would not be asking for Ninnis' and the imports' heads if we were 2nd or 3rd because they would be doing the job they should be doing if we were that far up the ladder. Is it that difficult to understand that they have to go because of their performance. Its not rocket science.

As for Goorjian, I would welcome him as a coach. The reason he has been hated in the past is because the success he has brought to teams he coaches have not been the 36ers but the 36ers' rivals. When someone is good, you want him on your side. I don't think the 36ers would go under financially as it has a good fan base to start off with and would only grow with the success he would bring to the team. A successful team in Adelaide has the potential to bring in a consistent 6k plus crowd where the numbers in Sydney were only half that despite winning so many championships in a short time. I would make very little changes to the players' roster with him as the coach because he will get out of them something that Ninnis cannot. He does not have to come with a selective team that is going to send the club bankrupt, especially when there is a salary cap to abide by.

Reply #264917 | Report this post

Boy Gorj would bring a championship or two to the sixers, no doubt.

Unfortunately after 2 championships in his 1st two years the 6ers would fold under the financial pressure of having the best and most brilliant list in the NBL.

I'm just waiting for the Chinese national team to go broke. His track record of winning then folding teams speaks for its self.

He pockets the ca$h and moves onto his next highly paid gig leaving an unusual mix of championships and broken dreams behind him.

Reply #264949 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Obviously Goorjian would be a good coach and bring on court success. The only concern would be if we can afford him and his track record with teams folding.

If the Sixers could afford him, SOS would have to be very sure of what they can afford to spend and stick to it. I suspect a number of ownerships have fallen into the trap of overspending to keep Goorjian happy in the past and this may have contributed to their demise.

This is not to blame Goorjian though. He's just a highly skilled and passionate coach who wants to win, so he is going to pressure ownership to spend money to get the best players and to provide the best of everything. Its up to ownership to know what it can afford and what it can't.

So yeah, if the Sixers can afford him and ownership is strong enough to control him, they should definitely be willing to sign him.

Reply #264970 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Our club is not going to spend more than the salary cap. The penalties/risk is tooo great. Basketball Australia will take away championship points and money from finacial guarantees. Top 4 clubs will be fully audited. We are not going to risk it. We will spend the same on players, regardless of who is coach.
If Goorjian wants to coach the Sixers with $1M salary cap in place, strictly enforced, that'd be interesting Season to follow, for Sixers fans and other sporting fans.
( Interesting when he had a Boomers training session, in Melbourne - most AFL coaches attended to watch him.) While some would/have argued that Sixers roster, that finished 5th, last season was as good as the Dragons roster, that waon the Championship.

Reply #264973 | Report this post

Blows my mind  
Years ago

EC.....All I was trying to point out is that if Burston did play the whole season, I think we would have two more wins under our belt, that would certainly put us in a different position now, and Burston would be a lot more game fit and confident which could have affected the last few rounds.
Yeah ok, we can argue that Burston was not a great selection due to being injury prone, I still think this was a key influance on the season, Balls and Jacob playing out of position, blah blah.
I do not think Goorjian would coach unless he could put the team on the floor that he wants, I do not think SOS would go over the salary cap, so it will never happen.
I reckon a Goorjian type approach would cost another 500K with him and the players he would demand, at my guess that would need an extra 1500 people to each home game to cover it.
BIG RISK.......may pay off, but I am sure thats the aproach that has buried many Goorjian Clubs in the past.
I personally think the team was close to the mark, we have shown that we can beat the best of them, but yes we also self distruct, I dont know how to fix that, but I dont think it will take much.
We need stability, not a new team every year.
Have to keep the majority of this team!!

Reply #264974 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He is coaching one of the NBL Teams , next season.
I heard that Gaze said that on FOX TV.

I'd guess if we haven't signed him already, then it's one of the 2 new teams . Maybe Kings.
Although Gaze is close to the Tigers, of course.
But I'd guess if he's mentioned it on TV - it'd be one of new teams.

Reply #265110 | Report this post

Goorj has won games, but he is not a winner.
Boti is a lot more astute than any of you give him credit for. Goorj is a cancer that Adelaide cant afford the cure for.

Reply #265121 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Goorj will end up back at the sydney franchise next year if it enteres.

Reference Ninnis let him ride his contract out, he has had a season that his team have been affected by injury. He has at time shown brillance. I think cortez gamble has backfired, but overall ninnis has done a pretty good job.

U dont want goorj, as clearly mentioned by many who know b'ball he is a cancer and every club he coaches dies.

Reply #265127 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not a real fan of him. I like his concepts, but feel his execution works in the short term, but not in the long term.

Reply #265134 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Word on the street in Melbourne is that Goorjian is slated to replace Westover at the Tigers as head coach for next season!

If it happened, that would mean Westover would be available.

I doubt the Sydney team if it goes ahead will have the money to fund Goorjian as coach in any case.

Reply #265142 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow thats an interesting bit of news! I thought Westover was the anointed one at the Tigers? Have attitudes changed with the Tigers poor play this season or something?

Could certainly believe it is possible as McPeake seems like the kind of guy that likes to make things happen!

Reply #265148 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Westover get a 10-year contract or something like that?

Reply #265149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agent Smith cures cancer. We need Hugo Weaving!

Reply #265153 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

You mean the "27 year" contract! LOL!

Despite the Tigers starting to put otgether wins, all is not well down in Tigerland, and it does not all stem around Hodge either.

From what I have heard through a few 3rd party sources, there is an increasing amount of "grumbling" from some of the players with regards to the coach, his favouritism towards certain players, and court time and player rotations (sounds like juniors!).

Apparently 1 or 2 more senior players are involved, incuding at least one that has been out injured (I don't know who).

As with any rumour, it may be just that. But Goorjian's name keep's popping up as a coaching option in talk for next season,l including amongst some of the current players.

Reply #265179 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

"what about Joyce?"

May as well get the rest of sesame street in to help the cookie monster.

At least he could bring in his boy as our No 1. guard for a bit of pocket money and we would be under the cap. Dead last, but under the cap .......

Reply #265190 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Well Daniel has signed on to play at Ballarat hasn't he (or was that Bendigo?) in the SEABL for this season. That's around an hour or so from the Cage!

I can't see Joyce coaching Melbourne any time soon.

Reply #265196 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

The Goorjian teams were not always ILLEGALLY over every-one else's salary cap. Both times that he coached clubs formed from amalgamated Vic teams ie when melboune saints and melbourne spectes combined in 1991 to form South east melbourne magic , that "new" club was given an additional sum ( in excess of $80,000 ) to the usual salary cap for at least 3 years ( Premierships in 1992 !!! and 1996 ). Then when that team merged with the Coburg Giants to form Melbourne titans in 1998/99, that resultant "new" club was ALSO give an additional $100,000 to the usual salary cap for at least 3 years ( GF appearances in 1999 and 2000).
This is not very widely publicised, as it suggests that much of Goorjian success was truely based upon LEGALLY having more to spend than anyone else.

Reply #265246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:51 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754