DB5
Years ago

NBA Rule No. 3 (Section 1A)

Found this whilst recapping the NBA games on over the weekend, and thought some might find it interesting.

In the Golden State game v Milwaukee, GSW were down to four players causing officials to invoke a mainly unknown rule.

The Warriors began this game dressing the NBA league minimum 8 players. After Anthony Morrow injured his knee two minutes in, there were 7. Then Cartier Martin got his eye raked by Andrew Bogut, and the Warriors were down to 6. Chris Hunter fouled out, Andris Biedrins fouled out, Stephen Curry fouled out. And the Warriors were down to 4. FOUR PLAYERS? When Curry fouled out, the refs were forced to invoke the little-known NBA Rule No. 3 (Section 1A), which basically states that the last player to foul out stays on the court and continues to play, but if he fouls again the other team receives a technical free throw in addition to the usual free throws. Joey Crawford mentioned to the broadcasters that he'd never seen this happen before in his 33 years as a ref.

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2010/1/16/1254106/recap-bucks-113-warriors-104-no

Topic #22104 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

That's pretty interesting. Cheers for that!

Reply #264829 | Report this post

MadeInThe'Laide  
Years ago

Great post, thanks for that.

Seems like a plot for a hollywood movie where they point to the drink boy and he comes on and hits the game winner!

Reply #264840 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Interesting, I saw the recap but didn't realise that it was a rule, I thought the refs may have had to make an arbitrary decision.

Reply #264841 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

The rule has been invoked twice before - the record for personal fouls in a game is 8, set by Don Otten playing for Tri-Cities against Sheboygan on 24 November 24 1949. The only other player to exceed 6 fouls in a game is Alex Hannum, who comitted 7 fouls for Syracuse against Boston on December 26 1950.

NBA Records - Fouls

Reply #264851 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The Warriors began this game dressing the NBA league minimum 8 players.
After Anthony Morrow injured his knee two minutes in, there were 7.
Then Cartier Martin got his eye raked by Andrew Bogut, and the Warriors were down to 6.
Chris Hunter fouled out
Andris Biedrins fouled out
Stephen Curry fouled out
And the Warriors were down to 4

I did the math and they should have been at three....

Reply #264853 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Martin or Morrow came back in injured.

Reply #264857 | Report this post

Rikrok  
Years ago

Yep Cartier Martin Returned, Curry didnt foul out till 4secs left on the clock. As they put up in the broadcast any foul committed by any player was a technical and 2 shots, not just the player fouled out. Curry did not need to foul at that point i think he wanted to not only make history, but wanted to find out what happens also. NB. Morrow did make a brief come back but was ruled out as the knee was too weak to compete.

Reply #264884 | Report this post

Rikrok  
Years ago

also the curry foul did get the bucks a free throw and 2 shots, Ridnour took the technical and missed it.

Reply #264885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I once saw a game in an u16s Rep Tournament Grand Final where One team that began the game with 8 Players ended up finishing with 2 Players on the court..

3 Players gout fouled out. 2 Players got Ejected and 1 player got injured.

Was pretty funny to watch, the refs said as long as they had someone to pass to it was okay? Thinking back now it seems fairly ridiculous

Reply #264894 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Didn't something similar happen in the AIS v Knox a few years back? My memory is telling me that the game got called off because the AIS only had two players on the court (everyone else fouled out). FIBA rules stops the match when teams only have 2 players left.

Reply #264896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something similar happened between a boomers and kiwi game in the eighties. The called the game finished but played out the remaining time by reinstating a kiwi to make a game of it

Reply #264907 | Report this post

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

I've heard Trevor Baker talk about an U16 Girls Grand Final where North defeated South, finishing with two players. Jo Moyle was playing for South I seem to recall Trevor recounting.

Reply #264918 | Report this post

Lachie  
Years ago

According to the rulebook, FIBA ruling is that you lose by default if you only have 1 player left on court. 2 or more - just keep playing with that many.

"Game lost by default
21.1 Rule
A team shall lose a game by default if, during the game, the team has fewer than two (2) players on the playing court ready to play."

http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Rules/2008/OfficialBasketballRules2008.pdf

Reply #264940 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Been there, done that back in 1994. The poor two buggers playing the final two minutes on their own - made for interesting watching as four players tried to guard the one receiver on court. Good times.

Reply #264944 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Libertine - got down to one lone AIS player, in fact. Here's the original thread, including your sole comment on my topic:

SEABL news, almost all of the AIS team fouls out!

And now for the funniest news from this weekend in the SEABL. The AIS took 8 players on their trip to play Knox. With 2:36 left in the fourth quarter, 7 of those players had fouled out, leaving Brad Newley (20 points, 3 fouls) as the only AIS player on the court. The game was forfeit with the scores 115-74. Knox shot 47/64 from the stripe.

Reply #264947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:24 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754