Isaac
Years ago

Dome in the hands of Commonwealth Bank

BSA, the 36ers and the Lightning have issued a joint press release about the current status of the Dome. For those who hadn't heard the rumour, the Commonwealth Bank has taken the Dome off the hands of Eddy Groves for failing to make payments, or similar. Here's the release:

Basketball SA, Adelaide 36ers and Adelaide Lightning (tenants of The Dome) wish to inform members and fans that recently an agent was appointed to oversee the management of The Dome on behalf of the Commonwealth Bank.

Over the past week discussions have occurred between the agents and tenants of the Dome and we are all working together to ensure that a positive outcome is reached. The agents have advised that they wish to secure tenancy arrangements for Basketball SA, the 36ers and Lightning and that their aim is to avoid disruption and continue operations as normal.

The Dome is an important asset for South Australia and the sport of basketball. We are confident that all stakeholders involved in discussions about this matter understand its importance and will support it remaining a basketball and sporting facility.

We wish to highlight that whilst The Dome is an important basketball facility, this unfortunate matter bears no reflection on any of the tenants nor the sport of basketball, as the Dome is privately owned. Basketball SA has a growing membership of over 23,500 people with a further 10,000 other regular participants and the Adelaide 36ers have performed particularly strong this year under the stewardship of the new SOS board, whilst the Adelaide Link Lightning continue to be a force in the WNBL.

We shall keep members, fans and the public updated with this matter over the coming weeks. We appreciate your continued support of our organisations and the sport of basketball.

Sincerely,

Mark Hubbard CEO Basketball SA
Ben Fitzsimons CEO Hood Sweeney Adelaide 36ers
Steve Breheny CEO Adelaide Link Lightning

Topic #22118 | Report this topic

enonymous  
Years ago

Which Dome?

Reply #264989 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Maybe if we all chip in we could buy the Dome? anyone got a spare Mil?

Reply #264995 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Don't the 6 saviours have some spare cash to buy the venue also?

Mark Lewis have some spare investment cash given the home loan business is still successful?

Reply #265004 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Thats a little harsh champ, to ask them to pony up again. I'm sure if the could afford it with the other members they would look at it if it makes business sense. They are by no means obligated to buy it though, is no small amount of change you find under your couch.

Reply #265006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on ya champ33
they bail out the 36ers and now are expected to bail out the dome, and hire Goorjian and breach the salary cap. Whish I had their pocket change.

Reply #265007 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Well hopefully either myself or someone South Australian wins tonights Oz Lotto and we can use some of those winnings to buy The Dome.

As for my above comments, it doen't have to be the current saviours. Perhaps someone else might help out such as the Coopers family.

Reply #265012 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

if everyone in Adlelaide buys my free mixtape, i'll buy the Dome lol The "Tru Blue Home Dome" sounds good to me... :-P (i'll also take donations hahaha)

Reply #265040 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Plenty of buyers - IF you could have conference, wedding,concert,church and the like there. But you can't - Govt. restrictions allow only sport there.

Reply #265050 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was Adam Ballinger on radio just then.
Heard about it today. NOT for sure but THINKS Sixers MAY buy it.
MAY get it for the right price.

( all maybes I know - he's a player , not an owner,
but sixers lease should all be ok, and the possibility that they may buy it from the bank.)

Reply #265055 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

They had a small thing on the news, which mentioned any potential buyers would have to buy it "as is" and that included the Sixers as tenants which are 1 year into a 10 year lease. You would think you get void that somehow though.

Reply #265057 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

What happens to other competitions already playing there etc? Are their deals honoured?

Reply #265058 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

They should buy it...Accountants and Lawyers, seems like they should be able to find a way to have less restrictions and turn it into a profitable stadium.

I once again blame Adelaides pathetic councils for the shamble that is this stadiums restrictions.

Reply #265066 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I thought this was about Coops getting a sponsorship/massage deal. Oops.

Reply #265068 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti today:

BASKETBALL is likely to be the big winner as a result of Ferrier Hodgson's involvement in determining the future of the sport's headquarters at Beverley.

The Brett Maher Court, formerly known as the Clipsal Powerhouse and Distinctive Homes Dome, is under administration now in the wake of the financial crash of its owner, one-time childcare centre magnate Eddy Groves.

But with the agents now acting for the Commonwealth Bank, the key to a reasonable re-sale value remains having long-term tenants.
Full article

Reply #265117 | Report this post

Speculation on market value?

+1.5M?

Reply #265163 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The flamin' thing cost $17M to build.

Reply #265180 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And this comes on the back of the opening of the new Basketball Centre in WA (8 courts including 2 show courts), plus the new basketball facility in Vic out at Scoresby where BV will relocate to.

Where is SA's basketball venue?

Reply #265183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Dome is at Findon, West of the city. A few other multi-court venues (though without the sort of seating you'd need for an NBL game) are Wayville (very close to the CBD), Pasadena (further South), Starplex (out North), Morphett Vale (far South).

Pasadena has hosted about 800 people for a visiting college team and Wayville was, for a time, the Lightning's venue. For those games, they brought in temporary seating for each match.

Reply #265185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, you forgot Port Adelaide!!! and Hillcrest, Mars.......what about Marion stadium is that still around??? I am still sad Forestville and Athol Park are gone, one had alot of history and the other was just a good venue for juniors....4 courts going at once...I used to live there on saturdays and then friday nights...memories.....

Reply #265209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't forget them, just wanted to mention a few ("A few other...") without trying to provide an exhaustive list, missing one and getting accused of bias for hating whichever club uses that stadium as their home base!

Reply #265220 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Hopefully whoever buys the Dome will allow a night for the social comp again.
Probably been mentioned before but i thought the council owned car park land would be good for a multicourt stadium.

Reply #265454 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754