XztatiK
Years ago

John Gilchrist: To keep or not to keep?

It seems about 70% of you guys are looking for him to be dumped this off-season, and I'll say right off the top that I'm not one of them, but now that the season's pretty much done for us I think it's worthy of some debate.

Personally, I don't agree with the whole "he's selfish" "he's a ballhog" crap, and I genuinly believe his number one priority is winning, not personal gain. I think he's just suffered from the lack of a structured, organized and consistent offence, hence he's had to wait with the ball for extended periods for some movement from teammates, or go himself (but lets not turn this into another "Sack Ninnis" thread).

Statistically, despite his recent slump he has still been one of the top 3 point guards in the league this year with Homicide and McKee, arguably the best:

16.9 PPG, 5.5 RBS (best amongst guards), 4.5 AST (league leader), 48.4 FG% (third amongst PGs), 34 3P%, 2.5 TOs (less than Homicide and McKee), 0.8 STL, 0.3 BLK, 36.9 Fantasy points (4th in league)

The things I'd like to point out there are the FG%, Assists and turnovers. For someone who is supposedly "selfish" and over-handles the ball, the fact that he leads the league in assists and has a solid turnover figure is interesting, and clearly shot-choice isn't a major issue when he's almost at a 50% clip.

Defensively, he's solid. He's not a shut-down Gibson/Martin quality defender but certainly comparable to McKee, Homicide, Ubaka and superior to Bruton and Mills.

There's my two cents anyway, I'd have him as our starting PG for as long as he wants to be here. He has areas to improve on, sure, and a full pre-season creating an effective, refined offence would help enormously, but for someone in their first year in this league I think he's shown more than enough to stay on.

Topic #22127 | Report this topic

golden greek  
Years ago

keep gillchrist and get tyler smith

Reply #265099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Gilchrist or Groves will be back next season.

Reply #265101 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

I think the question is whether Gilchrist wants to stay or not.
I would guess think he would want to move on at seasons end. His body language doesn't always seem the best and he's also had a couple of run ins with Hill on court..

Reply #265102 | Report this post

JMAC  
Years ago

Would think minus the guess

Reply #265103 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yes, this is all assuming he still wants to play here. From what I've heard he loves Adelaide and has settled in quite well... but we hear that every year don't we.

Forgot to put his FT% in the stats: 66%

Reply #265104 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

No, he should go. Too inconsistant and needs the ball way to much at the expense of the teams offensive structure to be any sort of factor. In spurts his attiutude doesnt help his cause either.

Reply #265106 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

If he decides not to come back, no major issue from my thoughts. Better we have no import and play without one. Id be even happy with a turkish one or one from somewhere else than america. They come with baggage from the US too often

Reply #265107 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Very talented, but need to make a change for next year I think.

Reply #265109 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I'd keep Gilly but he and the team needs an A grade quality shooting guard to compliment him.

Would have loved to see Gilly team up with Maher in the backcourt.

I know players of Maher's quality are rare but Adelaide need to recruit someone as close as to make Gilchrist even more dangerous.

Any chance Newley or Ingles?

Reply #265114 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

i think maybe he could be picked up by another team next year!

Reply #265122 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

Gilchrist is a very good player but i dont think he will be back. against the blaze his attitude was terrible and he had several heated conversations with ninnis. i would guess that gilchrist and ninnis dont like each other and thus gilchrist wont be back

Reply #265123 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I think the club could do a lot worse than bringing Gilly back next season. The other import spot definitely needs be a new face though. Along with several other roster spots... :s

But not to derail your thread - I think he's far from the biggest problem on the team, and as such I'd be fine with the club re-signing him. It's not like quality imports that are happy to come to the NBL grow on trees these days.

Reply #265124 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Get rid of him. Has the worst body language of a player I have seen in a very long time. Thinks he is above everyone else and displays this on court by running back on defense with his back to the ball, not sprinting back after he drives and misses thinking he got fouled, having a go at other players, switching defenders because it's easier to just go to the closest bloke yet doesn't communicate this with teammates...I could go on and on and on! The bloke is so self involved it's not funny. The best pick up we could get is someone like a McKee, who goes about his business with a bit of modesty about himself. Someone who doesn't waste 10 seconds at the start of every offense dribbling the ball at the top of the key.
And we should definitely get rid of Cortez, he was one of the worst we have persisted with and this had to be because of a financial situation.
Get a solid point guard and a swing man, that's the combo we need.

Reply #265128 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Keep.

Reply #265129 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

GOODBYE BAD ATTITUDE WHEN IT GOES BAD, NO SHOT, TO ME SHOULD BE A BOXER NOT A BALL PLAYER

Reply #265130 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The only way Sixers would keep him if there was a change of coach and he thought he could keep him on track .
Obvious had a attitude problem early but can see now things are not right with him and coaches and team.
We can do better I believe and maybe get a better team game going .
Key though is replacing Groves with right person for team and you will be well in front with or without Gilchrist

Reply #265131 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

KEEP KEEP KEEP. With our recent luck with bad imports canwe really afford to let him go? To me his numbers say it all, considering he leads the league in assist in what all of you consider a terrible offensive structure, I think he can only get better. I love how he plays to win and wears his heart on his sleeve, Hopefully with Ninnis replaced next season he will stick around.

Reply #265132 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I like the cut of his jib.

With a lot of players it is a matter of the coach getting the best out of them and some players play differently under different coaching styles. I feel he is one such player.

At the end of the day, you can't get the tail to wag the dog and so I would say before the decision is made of the "pitbull", the decision needs to be made on who is coach.

One thing for sure, I don't believe we will have an all American backcourt next season

Reply #265133 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Gilchrist is very inconsistent.

For 2 or 3 quarters of a match, he is the best player on the floor, and then he will play a quarter or two in the same match where he is the absolute worst player on the floor.

He only hogs in small periods, and it is difficult to know why that happens, whether it is a coaching direction change in the offence, or whether something has upset him, or whatever else.

I want to see how he finishes the season, does he minimise his down times? Maybe Ninny & Co might "learn" what causes them and adjust accordingly?

If neither changes much, then we will need a new point guard next season because you need consistency from the point.

Reply #265136 | Report this post

tj u  
Years ago

Gilchrist shouldnt go he has been one of the better players. Him holding onto ther ball to long is due to the offence which dosnt work for the 6ers.

I think gilchrist should be of the last to go

Reply #265140 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I say let him move on, simply because I believe we're more in need of a pure PG that can get the ball to Balls to run our offense through.

If we could get a different PG (Bruce anyone?) I'd even suggest keeping him in the 2 spot currently occupied by Groves, simply so that he can just be a slasher. If we did that though, I'd want a more reliable scoring option at the 3 than Brad Hill though.

Reply #265143 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good numbers for Gizmo ;-) there X. He clearly has the talent to be a star in this league. I think a decision about him rises or falls on the attitude/ personality issue.

If Ninnis is staying on as coach, do they get along?

Does Gizmo fit in with the other guys we plan on keeping?

Does Gizmo want to stay in Adelaide for a few years?

Is he committed to improving the way he runs the offence and becoming a better team leader?

If the answer to all these things is 'yes' then I think Gizmo could grow with this team and become a real star. But there are a lot questions I can't answer there, so I'm staying on the fence for now (but hoping Gizmo gives me reason to believe in him again before the end of the season).

Reply #265144 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think Gilchrist's game started going down when he was told by the team that they would not continue with his rediculous pre-game self-adulation dance routine. Since that time, his attitude on court seems to have just deteriorated and by all appearances he does not fit in well with the playing group. That more than anything says everything that you need to know.

Not to keep.

Reply #265164 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

He has great talent but for me the attitude is too much now, i can get over once or twice but its all the time now. The holding onto the ball thing is bad as well, i will say the offense has a little to do with it though. He also thinks he is ninja jacking up all the threes.

The thing is we need a player just like him but without the attitude and a little more pure point instincts.

Reply #265175 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Yeah. Compared to last season, 4.5apg as the league best is rather dismal.

Last year you had guys up around the 9.0apg per game, including Aaron Bruce who was leading the league at the time. (Didn't count shane heal considering the number of games he played last year).

A guy who scores a few jump shots a game but gets 8-15apg is preferable considering the existing scoring power; especially with a healthy centre (pref Big Red) and Balls firing.

Sixers need their Core 3 before bringing on the rest of the team: Balls -> Schensher -> PG -> Ng -> Herbert -> and so on.

Reply #265187 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

I say hang on to him if the PRICE IS RIGHT! I'm guessing that he will request a bigger slice of the pie next season and probably get picked up by another team.

We could definately do ALOT worse than the Gmeister look at our recent "luck" with imports.

We all know that TEZ will be gone (congrats on a great career in the NBL) we need a good pickup someone to work in tandem with the Gmeister.

OH and SACK HILL!

and KEEP HERBERT 4 SURE!

Reply #265188 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

Big Marty - is Schenscher as sure thing for next year?

Reply #265191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last year you had guys up around the 9.0apg per game
Only after a couple of games. Towards the end of the season, I think the top APGers were getting about 5.5-6.2 APG? Aaron Bruce finished with 5.1 APG from 29 games. That's 4.3 APG when adjusted for a 40 minute game (not factoring in player MPG though).

Reply #265199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Burston | ???
F Ballinger | Rush
F Import | Holmes
G NG | Hill
G Import | Herbert

Reply #265202 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

From next season, do teams still require an under 23 player?

Reply #265205 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Has he grown as a player this season?
Is he the leader of your ball club?
Does he have the respect of your team?
I don't think he will be back! Unless you want more of the same.

Reply #265212 | Report this post

Rmm  
Years ago

Keep.

Reply #265214 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"Too inconsistant and needs the ball way to much at the expense of the teams offensive structure to be any sort of factor "

Offensive structure...WHAT ONE lol, we dont have an offensive structure. Under Ninnis this is never going to change, to get rid of a scoring player because our coach has failed to utilise him and other players isnt the way to go.
Gilchrist has won games on his own back, theres not alot of players that will do that. We have 2 which makes the season all the sadder.
I'd keep him and see how he performs under a coach with an offensive structure, have a backup planned if he struggles and change mid season. I have a feeling he wont though

Reply #265215 | Report this post

budgie  
Years ago

To me he is a must keep, but if we can afford him. If we had Burston at the start of the year setting pick and roll plays his APG's would have been up. Team structure NEEDS attention. As does full court press both offence and defence. His passion is great and I think his leadership is improving. Lets remember people the season is not over yet, but when it is please get Brad Hill to go

Reply #265248 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Does anyone really know much about Gilchrist apart from watching him play? I go upstairs after every home game and Gilchrist has only ever made one appearance up there. It tells me that he is only here because he has a job to do but does not want to get too emotionally attached. His body is here but his heart is not. For this reason I seem to think that he is only passing through and not intending to stay. I don't really care that much because I have not been too impressed with what he has brought to the team this season. Part of this is because Maher set the standard too high and anything less is not good enough. Part of this is also because Gilchrist has not been a team player and his chemistry amongst the rest of the team is not right.

Reply #265261 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Ec, he doesn't seem to be a very outgoing person (off the court at least), so I'd probably put it down to that. At the same time, he is (or was?) friends with Judas Hodge, so it's tough to gauge his character.

Reply #265269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers need to go after a pass first point guard and then go get an import for the 2 and 3 spot. The 3 spot needs to be a athletic 6ft6+ and the 2 man needs to be a flat out scorer.

Reply #265292 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

2010- New Coach

C Burston/local
F Balls/local
F Rush/Holmes
G Herbert/Import
G Ng/Import

How about bring back a Steve Markovic. Must be heeps of Aussie College guys coming back.

Need a back up 7 footer to compete big strong bloke

Reply #265307 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I know they were second round picks, but are Newley and/or Ingles ever going to get on the NBA court, or are they just going to be strung along in Europe?

Is it worth chasing one or both of them instead of imports and build them as the new long term "Brett" type?

Reply #265313 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

It's 50/50 for Gilchrist I reckon. He's shown that he can get the stats and has talent, but I don't think that the offensive 'structure' that was employed this season helps him. See what else is available and if there's anyone that fits better, sign them. If not, it's not the end of the world to keep Gilly. Replacing Groves and Hill is much more important IMO

Reply #265320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

trouble is spinner they get a lot more $ playing in Europe why play in the NBL if you can get a load more money wise and exposure wise playing in the Euroleague

Reply #265358 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754