LC
Years ago

BRW Aussie Sport's Rich List

The most recent Aussie Sport Rich List has just been released, and Andrew Bogut has leapt into No.2 spot behind Greg Norman.

The top 5:
1. Greg Norman ($15m) Golf
2. Andrew Bogut ($14m) Basketball
3. Harry Kewell ($9.5m) Soccer
4. Mark Webber ($9m) F1 Motor Racing
5. Chad Reed ($8.8m) Moto Cross

Bogut could go to number 1 next year as he gets a pay rise each year for the next 5 years.

The full list is released in tomorrow's edition of BRW.

Topic #22131 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit of publicity for basketball at least!

Where would Casey Stoner be on the list?

Reply #265186 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

"Several are from motor racing", including Marcos Ambrose in 7th spot with $5.44m (Nascar).

There are 6 cricketers on the list, including Ricky Ponting in 12th spot with $4.26m.

Of course there will be plenty of golfers...

BRW link: http://linky.com.au/l3fgp

Casey Stoner would be pretty high on that list. David Andersen may be able to sneak into the top 50 given his salary is approximately $2.5m (US$2.3m).

Other names I can think of at the top of my head that may feature prominently include Geoff Ogilvy (Golf), Adam Scott (golf), Tim Cahill (soccer), Mark Schwarzer (soccer), Lucas Neill (soccer), Ryan Briscoe (motor racing) and Lleyton Hewitt (tennis).

Reply #265194 | Report this post

MadeInThe'Laide  
Years ago

The sad thing is... Bogut making this list every year is the ONLY publicity he gets in major newspapers around Australia :/

He is having such a great season, its a pity the papers haven't jumped on board.

Reply #265204 | Report this post

Bullsfan  
Years ago

Cahill is on over 40,000 pounds a week (around 2.8 mil pounds a year) which in AUD would put him right up there.

Reply #265213 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Yeah it's bit annoying that the first thing following Bogut's name in any media is his salary. Get over it, Australian media. (Happens before every Team USA game too...)

Reply #265230 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I hope Kostya Tszyu still rates high in this list, he deserves it.

Reply #265237 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

from what i remember about the contract details, there was quite a hefty bonus clause. if the bucks were having a slightly better season i think bogut would already be number 1

Reply #265258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believed David Andersen was to be paid his same wage from European ball. I believe Barcelona bought him for 4.4 million per season. I know Houston had to buy him out from Barcelona so does he keep his same wage or do the Rockets dictate his wage

Reply #265274 | Report this post

Bullsfan  
Years ago

David Anderson is on 2.3 million a year. When he signed for Barcelona he wouldve instilled a buyout clause in his contract. I think in the NBA teams are only allowed to pay 300k towards contract buyouts for international players.. the rest must be paid by the player.

Reply #265279 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Boguts incentive clauses won't be kicking in anytime soon.

He won't lead the league in rebounding
He won't lead the league in free throws (attempt of %)
He won't lead the Bucks to a Championship or Finals
He may make an All-Star side.

The bonus aren't that huge, but would give him the extra mill he needs to knock off Norman.

Reply #265294 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

It is pretty crazy that Ponting makes $4 mil a year ... he would be the highest paid Australian based Aussie on there. (I'm sure some of the money is from the IPL).

When young athletes have a chance to play AFL, Cricket or Basketball the majority pick AFL.

I guess as a scrubber kicking around the AFL you are guaranteed $100k - $200k a year and there are more oppurtunities to make a list. But if you are an elite athlete that could have your pick wouldn't you choose basketball or cricket?

Pat Mills is getting $500k isn't he? ... that is almost more than any AFL player (not including endorsements).

I doubt any footy players would be in the top 50 and they would be considered the best athletes in Australia.

Reply #265300 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Age website: http://linky.com.au/r0bfc

He is a snippett:

"HAVING made his presence felt in the National Basketball Association, Andrew Bogut is starting to cast his considerable shadow over the rest of Australia's sporting stars in money matters.

The Milwaukee Bucks centre has shot up from fifth to second in BRW's latest list of the nation's top 50 sports earners, behind occasional golfer Greg Norman.

The 25-year-old's five-year, $US60 million ($A65 million) contract extension has kicked in for this NBA season and Bogut has responded with his most productive season, averaging 15.1 points and 10.4 rebounds a game.

BRW listed Bogut as earning $14 million a year, hot on Norman's ($15 million) tail, even if the two-time British Open champion's wealth has long been coming from off the golf course."

Reply #265354 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754