Anonymous
Years ago

Andrew Bogut, good chance of first All-Star team?

So, I was looking up stats etc, trying to decide who should be in the All-Star teams. At first I didn't think Bogut had any chance... but the East is VERY VERY weak this season, and apart from 6-7 players there are really no standouts.

Hence, currently my team is like this (obviously subject to change based on how players perform towards the ASG and the starting lineup is based on votes):

EAST
C - Dwight Howard
F - Kevin Garnett
F - LeBron James
G - Dwyane Wade
G - Allen Iverson (lul)

bench:
PF - Chris Bosh
C - David Lee
SF/PF - Gerald Wallace
SG - Joe Johnson
PG - Rajon Rondo
PF - Antawn Jamison
C - Andrew Bogut

W/C:
PG - Derrick Rose
C - Brook Lopez

Statistically, Lopez is having a much better season than Bogut but is in the worst team in the NBA. Derrick Rose MAY be a chance of taking Bogut's position if coaches decide that Howard/Lee/Bosh is all the centers you need... though Bogut without a doubt deserves it over Rose at this stage. Antawn Jamison is also on a bad team, but is having a great season staistically. Thus I believe Bogut is a good chance of getting his first All-Star appearance and doing Aussies proud.

Incase anyone is interested this is my West so far:

WEST
C - Amar'e Stoudemire
F - Dirk Nowitzki
F - Carmelo Anthony
G - Kobe Bryant
G - Steve Nash

bench:
SF - Kevin Durant
PG - Chris Paul
PF - Zach Randolph
PF - Carlos Boozer
C - Tim Duncan
PG - Deron Williams
SG - Brandon Roy

W/C:
C - Chris Kaman
PF - Pau Gasol
PG - Chauncey Billups

Topic #22146 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

uhh whoops

W/C should be reserve bench.

Reply #265539 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

KG is a starter in the east !!!! WTF ?!?!?!?
NBA fans are idiots.
Dirk has been totally shafted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #265548 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

Antawn Jamieson over Bogut.

Bogut is having some brilliant games but every third is a turd.

Reply #265549 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think you've got that pretty well right. Although I think Bogut deserves to make his first appearance, I think it likely he will miss out in favour of Rose. Most coaches are pretty high on him and his team has a slightly better record.

I think Pierce is still a good chance to land a spot too. Up until his knee infection he was playing very well and he is still putting up good numbers now, though he's not been playing with much enthusiasm recently (his entire team seems disinterested). I'd probably put him in ahead of Jamison, who is putting up good numbers on a poor team.

I feel like Kaman deserves to be there, but Duncan, Stoudemire, Boozer and Randolph are all deserving too and all have better records than the Clippers. So its tough luck for him but I think he might miss out, unless Roy pulls out due to injury maybe?

Reply #265552 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I think Bogut deserves an opportunity, but unlikely to receive it.

You'd think if Dwight wasn't available, Bogut is the next best thing given Shaq is past his best.

Reply #265561 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Karman will make it in the west

Reply #265575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0% chance

Reply #265581 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Bogut's stiffest competition will come from Brook Lopez and David Lee.

Lopez will be discounted due to the Nets record, but I feel Lee will get the spot (still, fingers cross't for the Bogey man).

While we're on the topic of Bogut, someone put forward a good argument on realgm for him receiving Defensive Player of the Year votes - he is blocking 2.1 shots a game and leads the league in charges taken. He could arguably be the best protector of the rim in the league.

Reply #265604 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mr Black, I wouldn't say NBA fans are idiots because KG made the starting lineup. Idiotic is Iverson and McGrady making it! KG still has a pretty good game, though if it was purely on performance, I think Bosh deserves the nod as the starter at PF this year. But thats democracy for you!

Dirk was pretty unlucky, but tough to argue with Duncan and Carmelo at the forward spots. Both are having very good years too.

One guy we've overlooked is the other AI - he's thereabouts and is another one who could knock out Bogut or perhaps Pierce. Josh Smith is having a good year too, though he remains frustratingly short of the brilliant player many people have thought he could be!

Reply #265609 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Tickle, I've noticed Bogut's defensive improvement too. He's improved a lot this year under Skiles. His positioning is pretty good these days and I think this has been helped by him being injury free and well-conditioned.

I think the Bucks have improved to about the 7th best defensive team in the NBA and Bogut is the biggest factor in that. Whenever he goes out, the Bucks really hurt.

'82 Games' has some good stats on this actually. This season, when Bogut is on court for the Bucks, they actually give up 10.8 points less per 100 possessions. That compares with KG's 7.3 less pts per 100 possessions. Also, when Bogut is on the floor, teams shoot 4% worse on FG's than when he's not.

He's doing a better job of challenging shots at the right time and timing his blocks better too, as well as doing a good job in taking charges as you said.

So I reckon there is a case for saying Bogut is one of the better guys at defending the rim these days. He won't get up and make powerful, spectacular blocks on guys like Stoudemire, but he is doing all the little things that add up over the course of a game.

Good to see and it bodes well for the Worlds this year!

Reply #265611 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

FWIW, my benches:

Joe Johnson
Rajon Rondo
Josh Smith
Chris Bosh
David Lee
Gerald Wallace
Antawn Jamison (didn't realise he was putting up those numbers!)

Chris Paul
Brandon Roy
Kevin Durant
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Kaman
Deron Williams
Zach Randolph

I think you have to give a spot to Zach, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it given to some more... palatable.

Reply #265614 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754