Bridge to nowhere
Years ago

Senior Country Champs

This weekend is the Senior Country Champ's being held at Wayville.

If you've not got plans, head along to see some hoops.

The standard is not ABL level, but probably on par with Div 2, as Port Pirie in Pool A only went down to Centrals ABL team by a handful, and in Pool B Mount Gambier will be fielding several SEABL players.

My tips for the standings after the round robin matches

Pool A
Port Pirie
Eastern Hills
Murray Bridge
Broken Hill

Pool B
Mount Gambier
Port Augusta
Riverland
Strathablyn

with Port Pirie to take out Mount Gambier in the GF.

Topic #22178 | Report this topic

coach  
Years ago

who are the seabl players representing mount gambier?

Reply #265879 | Report this post

Bridge to nowhere  
Years ago

dunno this year, not from there.

Past rep's include (from memory, possibly more, possibly i've made some of these up): Simon Burke, Chris Mason, Daniel Peacock, Daniel Wilson, Dallas Jeffree.

Matt Sutton's playing down there now, if he's playing local ball as well, he may play?

Reply #265887 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Depends which team plays for Pirie. I hear Lyall Gillett isn't playing for Pirie so that will hurt their stocks.

Pirie to take out Gambier................I'd like to see that. Last time that happened was three years ago when the Mount fielded one of their weaker teams for a long time. I doubt Dan Wilson will be playing, he moved back to Adelaide.

History suggests Port Augusta,Eastern Districts and Riverland will also be tough.

Nice to see Broken Hill and Murray Bridge back and Strath is a bit of an unknown to me.

Reply #265902 | Report this post

M0PPA  
Years ago

My Tips for the weekend are:

Pool A
Murray Bridge
Eastern Hills
Port Pirie
Broken Hill

Pool B
Mount Gambier
Port Augusta
Strathablyn
Riverland

- Mount Gambier to defeat Murray Bridge in the GF.

- Eastern Hills & Pt Pirie should be about even if the rumour that Pirie are missing a few is correct.

- Port Augusta could be the dark horse depending on who they bring. ie have been a powerhouse of the competition in previous years.

- Broken Hill will not win a game. (that's not a knock on them but pretty sure they played in lower grades the last few yrs and it's a big step up in competition)

Reply #265979 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Mount Gambier no current Pioneers. Full squad of Mount Gambier locals which includes a real youth movement.

Reply #266131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after the round matches the standings are as follows:

Pool 1
Eastern Hills Blue
Murray Bridge
Eastern Hills White
Port Pirie

Pool 2
Port Augusta
Strathalbyn
Mount Gambier
Riverland

Pirie and Mt G have been disappointing, Eastern & Augusta the teams of the tourny so far.

Reply #266527 | Report this post

M0PPA  
Years ago

In the A Mens.

Pirie caused a major upset by knocking of Augusta by 4pts in the 1st v 4th cross over final to end the devils weekend.

Mount Gambier took care of Murray Bridge and then dismantled Pirie to get throught to the final to face E/H Blue.

Cracker of a final which was neck and neck the whole way and looked like it would go to o/t. Whistle with 2.8 secs for loose ball foul put Mt Gambier at the line. Made the first, missed the second. Three quarter court heave by E/H at the buzzer missed and Mt Gambier wins again.

Good competitive weekend of basketball. But as a whole the A-mens competition actually looked a little weaker than in previous years.

Winners of the lower grades in the Mens were:

B-Men: Yorke Valley

C-Men: Pt Pirie

Reply #266660 | Report this post

M0PPA  
Years ago

Btw, with there being two E/H teams I assume that Broken Hill couldn't get a team together for the A-Mens even though they were originally in the draw?

Is it just me or do B/H have a bit of a history for pulling out of carnivals at the last minute? Maybe they got there weekends mixed up again!

I did notice they had a womens team there but no men at all.

Reply #266661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how did the women go?

Reply #266678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port Augusta def Port Pirie in the A grade women's final. Libby Harrison GF MVP, Tenille Searl tournament MVP.

Yorke's won the Women's B.

Reply #266683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port Augusta actually defeated the Riverland in the A Women Final!

Reply #266685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I too went and had a look at the country carnival and in my opinion the standard was actually higher than in the past. The A grade mens grand final in particular was of a very high standard and to me looked like a couple of the players could easily play a much higher level. It was also pleasing to see a match played in the right spirit as so many of the close games turn into a scrap.

Reply #266695 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:17 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754