Isaac
Years ago

NBL concerned about Taipans' finances for 2011

Cairns.com.au has an article about the NBL's interest in seeing more strength in the Taipans' financial position and bid to play in the coming season.

BASKETBALL Australia chief executive Larry Sengstock has raised concerns about the Cairns Taipans' financial position just three weeks before the make-up of its new competition is announced.

The Taipans' bid for re-entry to the National Basketball League does not yet meet financial requirements with the club in danger of missing the cut if it cannot raise extra cash by February 5.

Read the full article: Cairns Taipans' NBL bid under cloud

Do they have a chance or is it a lost cause? Sengstock was only just recently out in the Gold Coast press trying to drive the Blaze to build their position too - gaining a naming-rights sponsor, etc.

Topic #22186 | Report this topic

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Before the Crocs played against the Taipans up there on Saturday night, the CEO got on the mic and pleaded with the crowd for 200 more pledges.

I can remember turning to someone close to us saying that it sounded desperate!

Reply #265964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cairns go, I can't see the the NBL won't be too concerned internally. Outwardly, it will be "it's a pity", but deep down.... they know they'll lose a regional centre market and pick up Sydney and Brisbane.

This will be their focus and they will push it hard.

If the NBL is already sounding "concerned", the their goose is cooked.

Reply #265972 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

They would want to keep them in it, even with Brisbane...2 completely different regional centre's and more fans watching, buying, attending...

i hope they pull it off...

Reply #265973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns is totally superfluous. It gives the locals something to do...they might as well play SEABL. They aren't a big market and they don't attract national interest.

The game in Cairns will still be strong regardless of whether they have an NBL team. They still have the Marlins in the QABL and Fearne will always be pushing that.

They are treading water and will oly continue to tread water if they continue to participate in the next few years.

Reply #265974 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

It's only been one season since the previous owners went bust. The community model was started up very quickly and it might take another season to adjust to this model to keep it going indefinitely.

The last home game was not the first time Denis Donaghy had spoken to the fans regarding the pledge/licence situation in his usual passionate way and considering over 4000 fans were at that game, it's not hard to imagine that 2000 fans will pledge for the next season. DD had also said previously that should not enough pledges be obtained the Taipans would need more corporate sponsorship but with the current economical climate in Cairns that was not something he wanted to pursue readily.

Superfluous is not a term that can be applied to the Taipans. The amount of work they do in the community is astounding and the whole of Cairns does benefit from having a national team, not to forget having an elite pathway without having to leave the area. Yes, of course there will be the Marlins but how do you fit over 4000 fans in to a just under 1000 seat "Fish Tank" - where do the other 3000 get lost to??

Of course BA has a right to be concerned as I am sure there is concern regarding some other teams; I think these are just not as well publicised as the Cairns situation. Isaac mentioned Gold Coast but for instance, how long can someone like Jack Bendat continue to pay for the Wildcats? What would happen if for any reason he no longer paid?

I feel the community model is a better and more sustainable model than the rich owner/s model and can only hope that the Taipans stay in the league.

Reply #266054 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754