Anonymous
Years ago

Tigers V 36ers, January 27

There's obviously not much interest in this game, which is surprising, given the rivalry and the playoff implications of this game.

Can't wait to see this one on Fox.

Is Ballinger fit for this game?

Topic #22190 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Should hopefully be a good game (and another close one). Good to see Melbourne on the rebound; shame about the injuries. Would have been nice to see another All-Aussie team make the finals.

Reply #265977 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'll be watching it on Foxsports 3 from 7pm.

Ballinger is an unknown but will play according to Boti's article. Holmes and Cooper will also play through injuries.

Worth a watch, but I've not got my hopes up. I'll probably be screaming at the TV as the inevitable primary school antics continue.

Reply #265982 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Played so well against them last time and still could not win.
They have too many guns for us with 2 key players carrying injuries and 2 imports going down their own road cant see a win but like loco will probably end up screaming at the TV in frustration.
Live in hope. If we lose turn off before Judas starts his antics

Reply #265987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season is on the line for sixers like loco i will be watching, hoping, screaming and once the game is done, the sixers will either be back on the road looking for that ellusive playoff spot or you'll all be bagging specific players again.

All in all, the way i see it sixers need the win more then melbourne for respect between the teams.

Reply #265993 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Anon - To be fair, most of us will turn on the coach :p

Reply #265999 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

No turning on the coach for me, Ive been saying since the start of the season he couldnt do it.

I almost dont care anymore its just so hard to watch a team thats not at all being utilised.

Reply #266004 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

I think this rivalry is bigger now than that with Perth. Lets hope the tigers dont sweep the series.

If we stop giving WORTHLESSINGTON open looks from the arc and the refs actually call a charge on him when he steamrolls one of our stationary defenders then we may have some hope.

JUDAS however will do NOTHING and still claim the win was due to his "game"

OH and i have news that the guy that threw the cup at JUDAS will be at the game..........could be fireworks!

p.s. - Julius Hodge Grow some Calves!

Reply #266006 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

lol at E grow some calves nice! he does have skinny long legs!

Reply #266007 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Does anyone know....will this be available online anywhere?

Reply #266009 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Does anyone know....will this be available online anywhere?

Reply #266010 | Report this post

Hems  
Years ago

Won't be available to watch online - Fox Game.

Reply #266014 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'll visit my local pub to catch the action and assume they'll show it. They have shown previous matches on Wednesday night Fox.

Reply #266018 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Molitor, go for it. You won't be in the NBL next year anyway, just go for it. We'll all pay the fine.

Reply #266019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HEHEHEHE LMAO! Yeah Julius! Grow some Calves!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #266021 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Sixers playing for their season and hoping results fall their way a fair bit!

Tigers playing for their season still with their fate in their own hands.

Expect Ballinger even though playing will struggle with his injury and the Tigers will unfortunately get this one. Wouldnt expect such a close hard fought game as last time were we did played extremely well for 4 quarters to just fall short.

Reply #266029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers have lost 10 of their last 13 games.

Reply #266040 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

LOL @ Xz.

We should hire Vlahov and Fisher on injury waivers as mercenaries :p

Reply #266045 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Maybe all 36ers Fans should get on board the mighty UTAH JIZZ pasadena D GRADE

Playing the BLOODS 2nite at 8:30

3 Players in each team have more skill than Brad Hill!

And I rekon the Bloods #33 Wife/Scorer/Coach is more reactive when calling time outs than Scotty is.

And i'd have to say that every social player in the state plays with more passion for their team than TEZ does!

bit harsh u say? I SAY PROVE ME WRONG!

http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?a=LADDER&compID=98291&c=1-4369-0-0-0

Reply #266047 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

ALREADY NOT DEFENDING THE ARC!!!!!!!

4 wide open 3pt attempts hit in the first 5min by the Tigers!

Worthington with 2 - DEJAVU

Reply #266063 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

what about radio coverage.. does anyone have a link?

Reply #266064 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

HAHA did anyone see Gilly's Headphones?

HILARIOUS

score update 4:45 left in 2nd

MEL 39
ADEL 36

Reply #266065 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

here is the radio link.

http://www.tigerradio.com.au/

Reply #266067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although early, Hodge on his way to a triple double it would seem. Gotta love Ballinger. Come on Sixers lets get this one tonight.

Reply #266068 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

HALFTIME

MEL 51
ADEL 52

Balls is on fire, awesome near block on Hodge. Just got to get out to their shooters. Zone seems to be working well.

Dont like seeing Brad Hill try and take on Hodge. Kind of embarrasing for him.

Herbert showing why he is a must keep & NG solid as always in defence.

Reply #266069 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ng always been a good shooter - worked hard on improving his D. Valuable player.
Burston a nice double (almost) in only 12mins.
Loves getting offensive rebounds.

Reply #266070 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Sixers up by a point at half time (52-51), but I feel a bit like the bloke who fell from the top floor of a skyscraper - as he plummeted past every floor on the way down, he could be heard saying 'So far, so good... so far, so good...'

Now, where can I get a pair of those gold headphones?

Reply #266071 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

defence is terrible...crushing into the paint on the dribble drive O by tigers and not covering shooters...

36ers aren't containing their player at all...

Reply #266072 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Gilly down with a Knee!

Reply #266073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gilly ACL for sure... he is finished

Reply #266074 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Ouch...that was horrible. Hope he hasn't done too much permanent damage to it.

Reply #266075 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Meant that to say, hope he hasn't done too much damage, or something permanent.

Reply #266076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God that was awful. Poor guy. How's Gaze, 'Oh clash of knees'. You could see straight away that he did his knee. Hope it's not worst case scenario. All the best Gilly.

Reply #266077 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Starting to fall apart, this is a real test now. TEZ has to step it up!

Reply #266078 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

is anyone getting a radio link

Reply #266080 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Tez has to step up and play like a proper ball distributor. Balls has the hot hand - give him the ball at the top of the key and let him got to work. With all due respect, that injury could be a blessing in disguise, if the ball distribution improves.

Reply #266081 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

should an interesting last qtr!

Reply #266082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #266083 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

How in GOD'S name does Johnson swing an elbow through Tez' face and the foul is on us?

Man I hate the Cage.

Reply #266084 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Gilchrist has torn his ACL.

Reply #266085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson swung an elbow and the foul was on cortez because tez was trying to rip his arm off. See the game through neutral eyes and dont be a homer

Reply #266086 | Report this post

K47  
Years ago

Its a conspiracy... NBL / Fox need a 'big' city in the semis.

Reply #266087 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

OK based on what we've seen tonight...

should we try to get this Rose guy next season?

Reply #266089 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Rose's stats are impressive,
for only 15 mins so far, 15 points, only one missed shot, 2 assists,
but then the new NZ point guard got 9 assists against us.....

Reply #266090 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I guess posting impressive numbers against the Sixers isn't as hard as it once was =)

Reply #266091 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Man, has Hodge had the last laugh on us or what?!

Reply #266092 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

OK....who will be gone now from this team...and the bench?

i am guessing changes soon..

Reply #266093 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

brad hill = mark nash. down by 2 with 6 mins to go, draws a foul with basket counting (tigers up by 5).
however ninnis = ridiculous. where's the D?

perhaps Im confused but i was always taught, if you're in their face, it makes it hard for them to score and puts immediate pressure on them.

I dunno?

Reply #266094 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

36ers had 6 turnovers in that last quarter....
Melbourne only 2 for the last quarter..

Reply #266095 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

So far, so... THUD.

Reply #266096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OK....who will be gone now from this team...and the bench?
Same guys everyone listed last time. What's changed?

Reply #266097 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

yeah, but the team was still a chance so there wouldn't have been any real threat until...well tonite...now they are screwed...the talk can become reality...

IMO it will only be on court changes...i think Ninnis will still be there at the start of next season...no idea why...other than budget...but i hope the players to go aren't decent ones....yes they do have some good one...

herbert, ballinger, burston and ng would be my...must stay players...i could live without the rest...

Reply #266100 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Yeah, because I usually ask for advice from Anon users.

Brad's court awareness is horrible.

Reply #266101 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

court awareness mainly comes with age/maturity.

Reply #266102 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Yeah, fair point.

Ugh. Disappointing.

Reply #266103 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

hill was ok in patches but had some brain fades, cortez was just as he has been most of the season, pass marks to ballinger (champion and fitting captain)burston and herbert...long off season coming up and hodge definitely has had last laugh- hope we rebuild , he resigns and then we kick his arse in 10/11...go sixers.

Reply #266106 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Will be another interesting off season.

Reply #266108 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

With Gilly probably gone (if ACL injury is confirmed) and nothing left to play for why don't they fire Ninnis now and give a few of the young guys a run? Give the assistants a shot at running the team for a few games. Couldn't hurt really - better than having a "dead man coaching". Luckily with no draft "tanking" is irrelevant in the NBL.

Reply #266109 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Fire that retarded floor wiper now. That was sickening.

Not trying to make any excuses at all here, the better team won, but FFS! These refs make me want to stab my own eyes out and offer a f#%#%ng transplant.

Oh well, we can only hope some dickhead GM will be dumb enough to sign that cancerous maggot next year so we can fiiiiinally shut him up.

Reply #266110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That Rose is very impressive, indeed. Seems like a quiet achiever in comparison to what we've had in recent years.

Ballinger was outstanding once again. I hope the SOS get the pen and paper infront of him, Herbert, Holmes, Burston and NG asap.

Well, I guess we sit tight from here and see what "changes" are going to be made for next seson.

What a devastating way to end a season, especially for Johnny.

Reply #266112 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Budget should be seriously looked at next season after the shit the fans have put up with this season. You can't spend bargain based prices and expect people to pay for a quality product. The club has to be serious if it wants bums on seat. Who wants to buy a season ticket to put up with another year of this crap. My passion for this team and the sport has had a nasty nose dive this year. Its been nothing short of boring. Its not because I was never serious about my passion but an attitude of saying enough is enough. If the the club wants my membership dollar, they have to provide me with a quality product. NO MORE NINNIS THANK YOU VERY MUCH. He has had his opportunities and failed. I don't know what the club was expecting when they recruited him as head coach. Just look at his track record as an assistant in Townsville and South Dragons. How it qualified him to a role as head coach is beyond me and I was not impressed with the decision from the beginning. He is a lovely guy but not up to the job. Let him do another 3 or 4 years as an assistant under a good quality head coach so he can learn the ropes and prove his worth as a head coach. He is clearly not ready yet for that responsibility.

To lose 4 times to the Melbourne Tigers, especially when they were themselves struggling is nothing short of embarrassing.

Reply #266113 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

without being a bitch EC, can you chuck some of that into paragraphs please...that was hard to read...

Reply #266116 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

BMF, did you just recieve a pop-up after you posted that? Something like "Congratulations!!! You win an iPhone for being the 1000th player to say that"?

Reply #266117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't be such a bitch! :P

Reply #266118 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

no...only a pop up with...next poster will be a jack ass....low and behold...

i always thought those pop ups were spam...but their true...

;-)

obviously he does it a bit..i just don't follow his posts...

Reply #266121 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol. Wasn't having a go at you but I probably deserved that.

EC is a woman, but yeah.

Reply #266123 | Report this post

quasi  
Years ago

Terrible, terrible second half. Unfortunate that we lost Gilchrist, he was doing ok until the injury. Hope the recovery goes well for him. We have no back up point man after Gilly. It's been glaringly obvious all season that noone else on that roster handles the ball well or runs the offense well when Gilly is not on the court and tonight was a catastrophic example of that. I could not believe it when Ninnis let Hill run the point. Horrible, horrible decision. Had his pocket pinched a couple of times through sheer lack of awareness and did nothing at all to keep the team on track. Was surprised that Ng wasn't used more, not surprised that Groves didn't get the job, he is shocking. Must have thought that he was Hodge with the 6 turnovers he had. Pity he doesn't hit the same amount of points as Hodge - or get as many rebounds or assists!

Also couldn't believe in the last 3-4 minutes of the last quarter when we were still amazingly in the match (thanks mainly to strong games from Balls, Burston and a lesser extent Herbert) that Ninnis let the Tigers use their whole shotclock EVERY play without bothering to apply pressure on D, foul or do anything else to stop the Tigers from running the clock down before scoring anyway. Surely any other team would be pressing, double teaming, even fouling if they had to to give themselves a chance at gaining a turnover? As fans I guess we're used to watching the team run the same insipid D regardless of the score or the situation and surprise surprise, we lose the majority of close matches that are potentially winnable. If Ninnis is still coaching next season, I would not expect much of an improvement.

Reply #266124 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I snickered when Gaze mentioned something about Anstey to Rose in the post-game interview, and Rose didn't know who he was talking about!

Reply #266125 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm not a huge fan of Ninnis coaching style but how about offering up some realistic options.

Stacker is sitting as an assistant for the Tigers, what happened to Dave Ingham seemed to do a pretty decent job as Fisher's assistant/brains.

Other than that what is there, any ABA coaches that are a cut above the rest? Does Richard Hill get a crack or is that just more of Ninnis style?

As much as Brad Hill cops it on here the boy has some offensive weapons and perhaps with more or better guidance and maturity can get a better court awareness and actually learn when to give it up when he's stuck or outplayed.

I'd be happy enough to see him stick around along with the usual listed above - Ballinger, Burston, Holmes, Herbert, Ng.

So you have two imports out and a big (Cooper) out and the u/23 out.

Aussie bigs are always hard to come by, imports can be hit and miss and aren't cheap and the u/23 seem to be more pot lock of who is hanging around in SA.

Problem with sticking with what I just mentioned is it isnt much of a change to the current status and alot of pressure falls again on the imports.

Perhaps a import pg and a import big and let Burston slide (injury prone)

Reply #266126 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Seriously WHAT IS BRAD HILL GOOD FOR?

The turning point of the game was Rose's steal on HILL then the pathetic chase down and weak foul

HIT HIM SO HE DOESN'T SCORE OR LET HIM GO!!!!!!!!!

He looks slow to react, cant handle the rock, travels ALL THE TIME! puts up stupid 3 point attempts with a fresh clock and thinks he's the man when he hits one in 10.

OH and dont get me started on his lack of defence!

Another big factor in the game (apart from gilly's knee) was our D on the perimeter shooters. Worthington has killed us from the arc in every other game this season, wouldn't it make sense to maybe put a hand in the air? maybe even step out to him?

The referees suck at the cage too, Perth got crucified by them last week with Mr FLOP Worthington getting the "benefit of the doubt" on every call.

BALLS, HERBERT, NG & BURSTON to stay

in closing The FOX commentry was a DISCRACE! It was so PRO MELBOURNE it made me sick in my mouth! No wonder we hate Victorians.

Ninnis was sacked and we lived happily ever after

THE END

Reply #266127 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Oh and BTW we are equal last only not last because of point percentage - anyone care to entertain my thoughts of finishing dead last :(
Dropped seven of past eight games and I believe someone mentioned we have lost eleven of past thirteen.

Reply #266128 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And Boti, also - Westover about Rose .'Who's that?'

Anyways- I don't think NBL game review mentioned Hodges at all. Rose's name was mentioned most of all a lotta times.

We had plenty of chances to still win it - even though not playing well.

Not sure that the 4 is set - maybe MEL (and NZ) still gotta bit of go at it.

Not sure about the wooden spoon either - reckon we'll give that a bit of a go.

Reply #266129 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This one is for you BMF as requested.

Budget should be seriously looked at next season after the shit the fans have put up with this season. You can't spend bargain based prices and expect people to pay for a quality product. The club has to be serious if it wants bums on seat. Who wants to buy a season ticket to put up with another year of this crap.

My passion for this team and the sport has had a nasty nose dive this year. Its been nothing short of boring. Its not because I was never serious about my passion but an attitude of saying enough is enough. If the the club wants my membership dollar, they have to provide me with a quality product.

NO MORE NINNIS THANK YOU VERY MUCH. He has had his opportunities and failed. I don't know what the club was expecting when they recruited him as head coach. Just look at his track record as an assistant in Townsville and South Dragons. How it qualified him to a role as head coach is beyond me and I was not impressed with the decision from the beginning. He is a lovely guy but not up to the job. Let him do another 3 or 4 years as an assistant under a good quality head coach so he can learn the ropes and prove his worth as a head coach. He is clearly not ready yet for that responsibility.

To lose 4 times to the Melbourne Tigers, especially when they were themselves struggling is nothing short of embarrassing.

Also a footnote for BMF, you are entitled to disagree but please state your reasons. I can't take you seriously unless I know what your arguments are. And to have posted for as long as I have, you can't be too observant of my posts without having picked up that I am not a him. Its been mentioned often enough on this forum.

Reply #266130 | Report this post

EC, you keep saying the budget is the problem, what did the 6ers spend, do we know that?

Reply #266132 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Thanks EC...

:-)

I dont disagree with you...i too think the team is being run this season on a serious budget..i have said it many time...i think Ninnis is there because of budget...

as for other coaches out there...i would say they will be getting calls this week if they haven't already...mates are mates, but business is business....

SOS are merely getting thru the first season, build on what they have and see what they can get next year...

i love the 6ers, but i know this year i have to take one for the sake of the team, i know they are not going to win anything, and i don't think they are being coached well or have the tools to challenge...

i can live with it tho, coz i know my team is still around...

Reply #266134 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

ya have to love balls, I don't know what the budget was this season but my point wasn't specific to $ as opposed to the fact that budget should not get in the way of recruiting a better team.

BMF, although Scott's first season as Head Coach was not particularly impressive, I accept the fact that there was a rush in getting a buyer for the team so we could have one on the floor for this season. SOS quickly stepped in although well and truly after recruiting had started amongst other teams. They had no choice but to stick with what they already had to avoid further complications. Also a 2nd term was in order to prove yourself as a coach.

The comments I make now are based on one season experience and a settling period for SOS. Time to look for the future and make good choices. They are in a position to do that now and its important they make those decisions for the benefit of the club, the team, the sponsors and the fans.

My frustration with the coach even though a good season was not expected, is that the team actually showed signs of being much more competitive. I just felt that it was the coach that was limiting their progress. The team in particular showed deterioration in the 2nd half of the season. I just wonder how much of that was the coach's influence.

Reply #266137 | Report this post

OK, fair call.
My word is that the team budget was right up there.

Interesting time for SOS, big decisions to come.

Reply #266138 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

This is Ninnis's second season yeah?

I'm not convinced he would need any more time under anyone...

I understand coaches get better with age, but IMO those coaches usually have something to start with...again i'm not sure it's there...

He was certainly good with the youth squad that he set up here in Adelaide...I think that is where he may be best to stay...or....

if i take another stance, perhaps he can coach, but as mentioned before, he is too much like the boys and has lost respect from them...

not going to get into the group too much..i think we all know who can and can't play and who needs to be kept...

i just see a new direction for the 36ers so they can attract better players, keep their faithful interested and get into the top 4...

Reply #266139 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Shocking luck about Gilly he was one of few giving us a chance to win the game.
With a strong coach still might be worth keeping.
Lot depends on that knee injury.
I know I have bagged him last half of season but how bad was Groves. Those think wanrt to keep him as Aust or local watch a replay of that game and count turnovers lot more than 6 and bad shots etc etc ,
With Gilly off he had a chance to be the hero but flunked out again badly .
As main PG on Sat might set a record in turnovers.
When I see Balls, Herbert . Burston Holmes busting there a---s es for club and watch this guy show no desire then you cant help vent your frustration.

Reply #266140 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

so how do we end not being on the bottom of the ladder come end of the season? 2 home games, both against teams that play and perform, and away game that is considered not winnable.

cairns only needs 1 win to make us last and they look like not playing next year. fan-friggin-tastic

Reply #266141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ, yep we're now tied with Cairns for the worst record in the league and the Sixers have now lost 11 of their past 14 games:

lost to Townsville @ Townsville
lost to Melbourne @ home
lost to Gold Coast @ Gold Coast
lost to New Zealand @ home
def Gold Coast @ home
def Perth @ Perth
lost to Perth @ home
lost to Wollongong @ Wollongong
lost to Perth @ home
def Cairns @ home
lost to Gold Coast @ Gold Coast
lost to Melbourne @ Melbourne
lost to New Zealand @ New Zealand
lost to Melbourne @ Melbourne

Reply #266142 | Report this post

Years ago

give TYLER SMITHs manager a call - get a first or second round NBA pick looking to play overseas and turn it around....

Reply #266143 | Report this post

Years ago

And recently, Smith signed an agent. The agent's name is Jared Karnes and he is with Allegiant Athletic Agency (a3).

Reply #266144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if SOS will have the foresight to trial an import for next season (in place of the now injured Gilchrist) over these last three games? It would mean spending some money though so perhaps not.

Reply #266145 | Report this post

Catsfan  
Years ago

Honestly Adelaides starting 5 is'nt that bad. infact it's pretty darn good. but they really need to add a bit more depth on the bench. Someone like Isiah Victor would be great for you guys to have off the bench. he'll add a nice scoring punch plus great defense and rebounding. whilst cooper is a good shotblocker but victor can do that and alot more.also is a great insurance to have if burston goes down again.

Reply #266146 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea thinking of Isiah Victor him and one of his import partners from perth or sydney in either Darnell Hinson or Dayante Draper would be good fits for the club i think (if Gilchrist isnt returning)

I wouldnt mind a line up of

C Burston/Schenscher (if we cant get Schensch have a go at Forman and use Victor as back up C with Forman/Holmes backing up PF, Ian Crosswhite may be handy to add some size/grunt to this positon also)

PF Ballinger/Victor (or a similar long/athletic versatile import who can play C,PF and SF so we can leave Ballinger at PF all season!)

SF Holmes/U 23 (is Ben Magden U23 next season?) I would play mostly Victor and Herbert as back ups to this position depending on how good the U23 player is

SG Ng/Herbert

PG Draper or Hinson/ soemone like Luke Martin or Aaron Bruce or give someone like Erik Burdon a run,

Obviously they should enquire into the Newley and Ingles, even Damian Ryan, Liam Rush, Matt Knights and see if they are available and make them a priority if they are also. But i dont expect Newley or Ingles to be available so havnt considered them.

Also on this seasons last 3 games i wouldnt mind seeing them give Damian Ryan a go, hes training in Melb isnt he? or Erik Burdon or another young guard could have a crack, nothing to lose really

Reply #266150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not good to lose 4 straight this season to the Tigers. Anstey also didn't play the entire second half - will be interesting to see if it's a serious back injury.

Reply #266151 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't need to watch a reply to know that Groves was no good in this game - bretts.
He's played terribly in some games, good in a few, reasonable in some - under-acheived this season for sure. Maybe on Saturday,Gilchrist not playing.
"It's your game Tez , let's see what you've got, in your favorite position, ya can either be a hero or flunk out - if ya flunk out seeya."
Each of us has our own opinions on players.
u23 garlepp don't excite me much. Groves does when he's going. Looks a bit better than Burdon EG.

Boti has mentioned a coupla times - Gilchrist unlikely, next season.
Isiah Victor is a name keeps getting mentioned, on here as a good fit. ( I think he can play PG/SF and a bitta Centre- would I be correct?)
Think this our first wooden spoon?

Reply #266163 | Report this post

Gnokabolockov  
Years ago

I'm with you EC, on just about every point you've raised. In particular, product lacking quality yet asking top price to watch it - you need to get rid the over-priced season ticket, watch a few games on Fox, skip a few of the crap games (you'll survive, trust me), then get a match only ticket for the blockbusters which are becoming rarer by the season. That way, you get to see the best games (you'll always get a ticket), avoid the crap ones, and the club rightly suffers because you don't go to every game and pay wildly excessive prices for entry, and to a lesser extent food and drinks.

Sixers showed some heart last night which was good to see, but any regular watcher could have commentated the whole last quarter before it had even been run.

Reply #266175 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Was just going to say that the Sixers could be about to earn their first ever wooden spoon! I don't recall us ever finishing last before. Can anyone confirm?

Tough rookie season for the SOS. Can't be critical of ownership since they only got control of the team late and this would have hampered the recruiting process.

Unfortunately for the SOS though, they've taken over after several years of decline at this once proud club, so the pressure is going to be on to put a good team on the floor next season. EC's comments I'm sure reflect the disillusionment of a lot of Sixers members right now.

I hope big changes are made. We need to start by finding the right guy to coach this team. It has to be someone who will rebuild the team from the ground up and establish the right culture. Teams that do that always seem to be able to plug new players in and get the best out of them, even if they don't have as much talent.

Reply #266180 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I love this team more than any other team on earth, but even I'm at the point where the only reason I'm going on Saturday is the fact that I booked reservations upstairs at Apollo.

Reply #266182 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

If the sixers are serious about putting a championship calibre team on the floor next season, we need to find a better import than Victor. He is decent, but I think the team needs someone other than Gilchrist who can create his own shot, and that is not Victor. Balls and Burston have done well for us this year, why get an import in the positions filled by them. We should just look at getting a better back up Centre to Cooper as Holmes can play PF.

One other thought, is it worth cutting Balls and Burstons minutes now that finals are no longer a possibility? No point having any other key players blowing there knees out or suffering from injury with nothing more to play for.

Reply #266190 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I would definitely be putting Ballinger in cotton wool for now, as that back of his took months and months to clear up last time.

Reply #266191 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bean, why would you rebuild from scratch in a market with two new teams competing for players? And with a team that's been frustrating, but not always miles off the pace?

The import spots are the most flexible and I'd consider that a clean slate, but it would be very dangerous to make more than a few roster changes outside of those. I would only drop Burston if I had Schenscher's signature guaranteed, and even then I'd prefer to have both of them. No one would want to see Ballinger gone, and Herbert and Holmes could be difficult to replace when factoring impact/dollar. Rather than 'rebuild from the ground up', I think it's more a matter of coach, imports, and 1-2 pieces for the puzzle.

Reply #266192 | Report this post

What dome  
Years ago

Well put Isaac. My wish list for next year:

- no Hill on the court
- a decent import or two
- fitter Burston will be a real asset
- Ninnis working on a performance only contract with no retainer!
- no Hill on the coaching panel, very unhealthy for the team
- the inverted dome gets refrigerated air-con
- the games are ticketed based on the standard of the venue, the standard of the basketball and the cost of living in Adelaide - not LA.

Reply #266195 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Beantown your post is spot on whats occured and feel sorry for SOS group .
Agree with start withe right experienced coach that injects right culture into club and real structure and system into team.
But agree with Isaac though the basis of the team is there and to do massive overhaul too expensive and too long to wait .
I prefer Burston over Schens. but certainly happy to have either.
Concern though on these 2 are Burston -- injury
Schens. -- looking greener fields.
Replacing 2 imports ,Cooper and Molitor are obvious to be replaced and Hill skating on thin ice.
If had to guess dad will sacrifice his coaching role to save son.

Reply #266201 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

I hope we retain BURSTON, I prefer him to Schenscher. He has much more range and aggession. I actually dont think i have ever seen schensch jump for a rebound, he just puts his skinny arms above his head.

Having said that, it would be awesome to have both of them working in tandem.

sign him, put him on the protein shakes and get him on a heavy weights program. All he needs is an extra 10kg of muscle.

Reply #266203 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Think I've posted it elsewhere, but my 2c is along the same lines as Isaac:

Love ya Scotty, but time to move on. See who's available - Stacker being my personal hope.

PG - Import*
SG - Ng, Herbert, Hill or Burdon**
SF - Holmes
PF - Ballinger, Import**
C - Burston, Garlepp

* Assuming Gilchrist leaves. Want a Grace / D-Mac type distributor and floor leader - FAR easier said than done, I realise, but we lack ball handling and intelligent play making / clutch leadership.

** Management decision depending on new coach and imports.

*** If Hill goes, a swingman (Rob Rose :p / or KB style) forward is an option. I'd probably prefer a solid body PF that can play back-up C if Burston gets hurt and/or Garlepp can't make the transition.

Reply #266210 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Can we please stop suggesting Victor. He's a horrible fit and an average import even if we did need a PF.

Reply #266211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loco, that wouldn't win unless the PG import was amazing. Also, getting a PF import would be wasteful, IMO. Needs to be a SF or SG. You're also missing reliable back-up at PG and C.

I don't think Ng, Hill or Burdon will be enough at back-up PG when other teams have guys like Robbins, Martin, Ubaka, Henare, Hodge, etc.

Reply #266216 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Loco - he's retired, OK? The sooner you accept it, the sooner you can move on with your life. He ain't comin' back. The Rose Club guys have probably lost their special hats as well.

For me, I'd like to see two new imports, and I'd like to not see Hill, Cooper or Ninnis. I'd also like to see the Weslo people guard the Brett Maher signature after games next year.

Reply #266222 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

hereschenes - You win this round my friend :p

Isaac - I don't count Groves as a back up PG (but that's just me) so they're no worse off. I wish they'd develop Ng more - he has the best decision making on the team and could evolve into a decent back-up PG IMO. I've been riding that train for ages though.

I'd debate the need for another SG - Burdon could fill that role.

The big PF was aimed at playing back-up to Matty if Garlepp sucked. How many decent Aussie back-up centers are floating around.

I dunno. I'm still too jaded over this season to care atm.

Reply #266242 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Victor, Garlepp and burdon have been mentioned way too many times in this thread. I cant see either of them being our saviour.

where is Brent Campbell these days? :)

Bring back Aaron Bruce if the price is right.

Reply #266247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Groves had a half-decent assist/turnover ratio and was often considered (commented on here) as a better option at the point than Gilchrist at times.

In theory at least, the 'SG import who could back-up at point' idea was quite good considering the situation that arose after the signing of the rest of the roster (when they were forced to gamble on an U23 back-up point - which they tried for and didn't get, though it was never mentioned in the papers and no one broke the news here - or try something else).

Reply #266253 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall reading somewhere (maybe Boti) - u23 back up PG they wanted - but he went overseas . Something like that .

It seems Gilchrist is most likely a keeper, now -from hearing ABC TV news.

Reply #266272 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Probably worth it's own thread, but what are the Aussie options (free agents) for 2011?

If Gilly is back, do we get a second import guard, or does that mean a swingman SF becomes the priority?

If Gilly returns and Hill goes, we could get a specialist back up Aus PG I guess.

Reply #266304 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"where is Brent Campbell these days?"

Coaching Cabra and playing for Forrestville. I'd look at his protoge Adam Doyle as a DP or U23 backup PG. He's already in the Academy team.

Reply #266407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:43 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754