Jack Toft
Years ago

2010 ABL Season Predictions

With the 2010 season kicking off in around 7 weeks, there's plenty of anticipation in the basketball community.
Will the Flames "Threepeat" in the men's comp?
Will the Flames make it a double by taking out both Mens and Womens?
After being outfoxed in both GFs, will Sturt come back harder and smarter?
With Davo suiting up for Westies, will they see more finals action?
2009 Mens Table
Sturt; Norwood; Eagles; Bearcats; Rockets
Lions; Tigers; Warriors; Mavs; Panthers
2009 Womens Table
Bearcats; Eagles; Sabres; Rockets; Panthers
Flames; Tigers; Mavs; Warriors; Lions

Mens:
Rockets just held on last season for 5th. I reckon Sturt and Norwood will be in the finals, can see Lions and Tigers replacing Rockets and possibly Eagles:
My final 5: Sturt; Flames; Cats; Lions; Tigers

Womens:
A fit Norwood outfit should dominate. Panthers will ease out of 5 due to player movement. Hard to see Lions climb up one just yet, but Mavs will try hard to get that 10th spot.
My final 5: Flames; Cats; Eagles; Sturt; Rockets

Topic #22197 | Report this topic

Player23  
Years ago

I think you've had too many Fruit Loops this morning Jack, hopefully tomorrow when you read what you wrote you can have as good as a laugh as what I did!
In the Men, Norwood will be hot favourites to Three-peat, there is no doubt about that. Sturt will drop down as my guess is they will be without Jacob for the whole season. They pick up Dodman but he is nowhere near as dominant as what Jacob was but will be solid. Will Darren play again? They have lost Claybrin but they do have some solid juniors coming through and Scott Butler will take over from Liam seamlessly.
Forestville have lost Sutton and Hoban who are two big pairs of shoes to fill but the rumour mill has it that Neil Mottram will be back for them so he will easily contribute what Hoban did and with a glut of guards Andy will keep them playing finals.
West have Brad Davidson running the point and my guess is Kersten will head either interstate or back to the Rockets.They have a solid core group of players but you would have to say they have underachieved with the group of players they have had over the last 3 years. Molitor should be better for the having played (trained) with the Sixers all season and with young Bond putting up some good numbers towards the end of the year they have a solid backcourt. They have picked up young Dubrich to back up Truslove, so they have the largest frontcourt in the league.
North, will be solid if they can pick up a player of the calibre of Kersten to run the point but if so, how will Rhys Elliott feel after having such a good season last year?
Again, rumours are rife that Nick Hambour has decided to hang the boots up (not too sure about this rumour!) which will put a big dent in their frontcourt having only Dallas Quigley and young Nick Mikic to fill the void.
Centrals have done pretty well in the recruiting department over the off season picking up young Tom Cioffi from Norwood, Gary Birmingham from Woodville, have Zane Reeves returning and are in talks with an American! They do lose Jacob Templeton who was solid last year, Andrew Bolton who was a big guy and Oliver Prince who was even bigger...in girth! Centrals will be out to play finals, anything else would be a disappointment for the club.
Southern will continue to languish in the bottom half of the ladder with the big loss of Bungey to WA and with no forseeable return of Dan Lalic. My guess is they won't be getting John Morris back again but may look at picking up another American at another attempt to play finals.
Again rumour has it Shane Boal may not be suiting up and surely that old bald bloke is just not Goodenough anymore to keep playing???
The teams hopes will be soley resting on Josh Woods shoulders, let's hope he's been doing plenty of weights in the off season!!!
Woodville is an unknown at the moment, it looks as though Josh Knight will continue to partner up with player (coach) Cam Wilson but other than that they fall away quite considerably in the player stakes. Mark Egel has been putting up some decent numbers in reserves, can he continue that form into the main season?
Eastern again are a bit of a mystery, surely with the addition of coach Steve Breheny he has a bit of pulling power when it comes to recruiting. Or will he just solely rely on the young group of local kids he currently has and hopes Brad Hill goes around again to partner with son Shane, didn't work last year what makes him think it will work this year???
And last but not least South who plummeted from 4th to last. It seems they have lost Mr Clutch Daniel Kosmider and Lucas Smith to retirement. Have lost big Matt Dubrich to west and almost lost Pilkington to Forestville. Have seemed to have picked up a couple of guards from Victoria which may help cover those loses but who will shoot the final shot against North?
Doesn't look as though they have picked up anyone else so could be a long season ahead again for the Panthers...
When it comes to the women i'm not too sure who's playing where so I will leave that one up to someone else, but it seems that with the Bearcats picking up Truslove that they will be title favourites but rumour has it that Woosnam could be heading overseas, so will she be playing at all for them this season and where does that love the team without the Captain/Coach!
Norwood will be the other contender along with Forestville and Sturt, not too many changes when it comes to the ladder next season in the women's competition.

Reply #266167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen is back for the Mavs. And Dodman is playing for them too.....NOT Sturt! So with those 2 and Hill they should push for finals for sure!!!
Woodville are getting an American Centre, so with him and Knight they too will push for finals!
And finally Centrals just might get there. Some good pickups and an American big...good luck to them!
Sturt losing Holmes, Ng and as far as i know no replacements for them....they will be out of the 5!

Norwood look like they will be getting Zorich too...not sure why but that will add something for sure!

My ladder
Norwood
West
Eastern
Forestville
Centrals
Woodville
North
Sturt
South

Reply #266176 | Report this post

lickty split  
Years ago

Kersten to North Adelaide, Madgen and Dodman to Eastern

Reply #266183 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

P23, may have had a few...it gets the discussions happening, particularly player movements.
Those movements do make me want to change those ladder positions, without Ninja and Jake, Sturt men will find it hard this season, Eagles will drop - unfortunately Motts is a foul magnet and clever guards will ping fouls on him easily and it could be early shower time most games.
Centrals will do well this season, as will Mavs with those pick ups. Gawler and Mt Barker might tie for the "house of pain" title this season:
Revised top 5 Men:
Flames; Cats; Lions; Mavs; (Tigers/Sabres/Eagles - too close to call)

Reply #266215 | Report this post

pig dog  
Years ago

woodvilles American is a forward not a centre
(Brady Brink.)

reckon the eagles will shock with another big name.

Lions have also picked up Dan Wilson (ex Eagle) and big Dan Carlin (not returning to AIS), Jacob Templeton and Andrew Bolton will only miss the first 6 games. American will be a massive bonus.

South will ring in foreign player.

Ziggy back training with North

this will be toughest year in a long time, with at least 4 confirmed foreign players on the way.

Reply #266248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mavs looking dangerous

Reply #266340 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If Hill Billy wants to impress for a Sixers spot in 2011, they may be pretty strong

Reply #266425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Zorich plays, North will be much higher than placed, top 4 team.

Reply #266446 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

my mail is that Zorich won't play

Reply #266458 | Report this post

mavs  
Years ago

then why practice???

Reply #266464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack toft, hill was the leading scorer last year for the league.. Ease up man, get rid of the hate.

Reply #266476 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't have any hate for the guy, I am saying that if he wants to impress, he'll put in a good season

Reply #266482 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Anonymous, I like your ladder...southern are that bad they can't even make the top ten!!!

Reply #266483 | Report this post

Yol  
Years ago

Adam Todd @ Centrals - that guy has game....
(bro of Ben)

Reply #266716 | Report this post

lions are us  
Years ago

yes i hear adam todd has been training with the div 3 guys, has not been on court at all with scotts group. Nice rumour

Reply #266995 | Report this post

ehh  
Years ago

hmm

Reply #267236 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

big tip dont be surprised if the big willis makes a return - been training with mates looking fit and keen to restablish himself as key big man of comp
ELG returns but not to home looking to double team with former rival
story not confirmed but rumour is strong
any confirmed reports

Reply #267586 | Report this post

Hmmm?  
Years ago

Reply #267972 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

I hate it when Momma's post about their sons on Hoops.

Reply #267974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754