TR
Years ago

Arenas firearm outcome: suspended for the season

The NBA has handed down its punished for the Areanas firearm incident.

NBA commissioner David Stern has suspended Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas for the remainder of this season, the league announced Wednesday.

Still no word on if the Wizards are going to try and terminate his contract.

http://linky.com.au/lm6ol

Topic #22198 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Good decision however I wonder where it leaves the Wizards for the remainder of this season; does the balance of Arena's contract for this season become void and so they are free to use that to sign someone in his absence?

(yes, I'm going to forego the gun jokes for once =P)

Reply #266168 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Watched Sportscenter this morning. They said that NBA franchises cannot declare a contract void if David Stern and the NBA commission had already handed out a punishment.
They said that the Wizards and Stern cannot hand out punishments for the same offence. The only way the Wizards can void Arenas' contract is if he is sentenced to jail under federal law

Reply #266185 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I didn't express myself properly there - what I meant was will the balance of Arenas contract count toward the cap, even with him suspended?

Reply #266209 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yeah I realised, my fault. This is from an ESPN article on Arenas:

"That last one is the buyout, and it is far from perfect.

It seems to me that the only way Arenas would go for a buyout is if it's close to the full amount he's owed, which is in the neigborhood of $80 million even after the hit he's taking this year. Meanwhile, if I were the Wizards I would only agree to a buyout that came at a huge discount -- as Arenas' contract will be tying up cap space until 2014 either way."

Seems to me as though while his contract exists, he does take up cap space.

What if Arenas did get sent to Jail, his contract was void and the Wizards franchise offloaded Antwan Jamieson or Caron Butler...That would free up space for Lebron and the huge contract that he would demand. Could he be a Wizard?

Reply #266220 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I don't see Lebron going anywhere that isn't already a contender. The dude is going to be paid a huge amount wherever he goes - he may as well go somewhere that's got half a chance.

Reply #266232 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754