Jonno
Years ago

NBL or BA team in the April tournament?

Brett Maher mentioned it on inside the game and boty aluded to it possibly happening in todays paper, what do people think of the idea of mahers that say BA put the boomers in (even a team of nblers) and win the $175,000 or a NBL team doin the same?

I reckon i would if i was the 36ers or BA, you dont have a whole lot to lose even if the 36ers put their aussies in and maybe rested Ballinger and gave guys like Garlepp and Burdon and a few other youngsters a chance to shine they would have to be a fairly good chance wouldnt they? assuming most teams are possibly going to be made up of guys with no nbl contracts,

given their are no import restrictions we could also trial a couple of guys for a week with our aussies,

given its a week could you get a half decent import out her for say 2k for the week?

Id give it a chance 10k to enter but if you finish in the top 6 you get that back and then paying for players/coaches, sureley most of our players would play the tournament for say a extra $500 or given contracts go to June they may not even have to pay them extra to play and if they win they win 175k.

The NBL should just enter a allstar team or even 2 and pick up the 175k and they could probably do it with minimal expenses also.

Topic #22199 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would they play if they weren't going to get a share of the prize money? They could just enter a team themselves and split the prize money without the club or BA taking it. I doubt they would play for $500. I wouldn't do a weeks work in my holidays for only $500.

Reply #266178 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Would be worth seriously considering Cairns running a team in it - for a promo on FTA (and prize money)

And Boomers running a team outta their NBLers.
Again a bitta promotion and some practice games.

Wouldn't it ?

Reply #266181 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754