Isaac
Years ago

Breakers fined $1k by NBL

The National Basketball League (NBL) has issued the New Zealand Breakers with a $1,000 fine for comments made to the media by guard CJ Bruton.

The Breakers were fined for breaching the NBL rules on Public Criticism of officials after making comments with regards to NBL refereeing to the Sunday Star Times newspaper.

$500 of the $1,000 fine has been suspended for 12 months and will only be payable should Bruton be found guilty of any additional infraction of the NBL Rules or Code of Conduct in that period.

If the NBL does this another 498 times, they'll be able to offer a $250k prize pool for the NBL finals. ;)

Sounds like CJ was in the mood to complain, unhappy that the officiating is inconsistent and he's not getting his usual calls, while Anstey was still getting the calls he always has. Does come across as a bit of whining IMO as I doubt he's the only one not getting those calls.

Topic #22202 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

CJ hasn't been getting the calls this year because he is so focused on duping the refs and they are (mostly) wise to his antics. It wears thin for the other players and spectators so you can only imagine what the refs think of him flinging his body in to an opponent and throwing his hands up in the air.

Reply #266217 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

CJ Bruton is just a big sook. He pushes off players and hardly get calls against him, he barges into players and then flops so he gets a foul called. He's the second biggest flopper the league has seen. Every call went the Breakers way against us in the Crocs v Breakers and he still complained about everything. He needs to grow up and pull his head in.

Reply #266223 | Report this post

frank  
Years ago

who cares i hate cj he need a hair cut so he can see the ball then he can windge

Reply #266234 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

if he stopped flopping with and without the ball then maybe - he comes across as a massive sook and a spoilt brat.

Reply #266252 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

It is a bit rich coming from a player who holds and bumps opposition players and EXPECTS to get away with it.
Consistency always going to be a problem.
When game is online slightest touch is whistled, and yet muggings are tolerated through much of game.
Case in point with Sixers the other night. Anstey clearly fouls Gilchrist on a layup,no call. Is it because it's Anstey? Is it because the refs are incompetent? Is it home court advantage? Who knows.
Going the other way Ballinger clearly blocks Hodge layup and gets blown for foul??????

Reply #266313 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

CJ has a point, I go to most home games and guys like Redhage and Anstey get away with moving screens all game with elbows out at head height (well CJ's head height lol) and then CJ gets blown for something weak at the other end. I agree he'd have more of an arguement if he wasn't known to flop and hold.
The refing has been average to shit all season, firstly they started off real strict on any hand checks and have now laxed to the point of you can completely mug the ball handler and the travel calls on the spins is getting a bit out of hand and is removing a lot of the flair from the games

Reply #266314 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

For the player to get the calls, to me it looks like it's, who the player is, what team he plays for and who the refs are told has to win. Home court advantage only happens for certain teams. Adelaide, you join the Crocs in the ones who get all the calls against them. Anstey is just a big thug who knows how to work the refs.

Reply #266337 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The reffing is always terrible over here at NSEC.
Correct me if im wrong but doesn't Gavin Whiu do all the games in NZ..he is shocking!
CJ has a point.
Probably needs to tone it down a bit though

Reply #266373 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754