Isaac
Years ago

Gilchrist out of action for up to 12 months

The scans and analysis from Gilchrist's shocking knee injury are back and the 36ers have issued a press release which includes this:

Scans have revealed that John has torn his Anterior Cruciate Ligament, his Lateral Ligament as well as suffering some bone damage.

John will have surgery on the Lateral Ligament this coming Tuesday, with a further operation to repair his ACL in six weeks time.

The extent of the injury will likely keep John out of the game for up to 12 months.

The club is devastated by the injury to John and wish him a quick recovery.

Topic #22213 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

That is a great shame. Even that there has been alot of negative criticism about him, he has had a great season and with some improvements to his game could have lifted his NBL status to superstar.

Reply #266369 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Man, 12 Months!!! I feel sorry for the young fella, hopefully he recovers well, and i guess that means no Gilly for us next season...we don't have a lot of luck with our imports do we? lol

Reply #266372 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I reckon it's a blessing in disguise for you 6er fans. He was an ok import but there are better around!

Reply #266377 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Thankfully Fox Sports didn't replay the injury ad nauseum. They showed it once, where Gaze called it a knee clash, then from a different angle, then back to the first angle once Gaze realised he was wrong.

If it was AFL coverage, it would have been played going out to every commercial break, with Kings of Leon playing in the background, then they'd follow Gilchrist to the doctors the next morning and ask him if he was disappointed with the injury. The benefit of being a small time league!

Reply #266380 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Bad luck for the guy, I agree hes been a good import for us and could have succeeded under a better coach, good luck to his recovery and I hope this doesnt end his career!

Reply #266385 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Terrible injury to have. Wish him all the best for a speedy and successful return to action.

Reply #266400 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

That will be more than 12 months...that sounds similar to Trent Henschel from the Crows who missed 2 years

Reply #266432 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Shit I hope not. Don't think it's quite that bad.

Reply #266440 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

Hentschel ruptured at least his ACL, lateral collateral ligament and postero-lateral corner. He almost had a knee dislocation in a high impact collision. You could say he is lucky to be walking well, let alone playing AFL football - amazing story and effort in terms of rehab etc.

I'm not sure of the comparison as the details above are a little unclear, but I'm guessing Gilchrist's injury is much worse than the standard ACL injury - they often have associated bone bruising and lateral or medial collateral injury on the MRI- but its not that common that the collateral ligaments require repair.

He may also have a postero-lateral corner injury similar to Hentschel: This is the most likely scenario with repair immediately and delayed ACL reconstruction.

I'm guessing but would think 12 months is a minimum. This injury has stopped many players careers, and many who return are never the same players. At least Hentschel has height on his side, even is he is a little slower. Take away Gilly's speed and pivoting and he wouldn't be the Gilly we know.

Regardless, with 2 major operations coming up I wish him all the best. I hope he proves the stats wrong, and comes back to have a successful pro career, wherever that may be.

Reply #266444 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

orbit, that's not very fair. I am one who wanted a replacement PG because I thought Gilchrist was not what the 36ers needed but for heaven's sake, not to see him injured in this way. Even if Adelaide didn't use him next season, its fair to wish him well and hope there will be other opportunities for him. His injury affects not only the 36ers but any other immediate plans he may have had. Hope he recovers well from this injury and is quickly back on the road to playing again.

Reply #266445 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Hopefully he has a good agent & a good insurance policy in place that will cover him while he is out of action.

Reply #266449 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

EC i don't wish the guy any harm but as an organisation injuries are part of life & now that you are out of the playoff picture it's time to start planning for next season. As a coach i would opt for another point guard.

Reply #266457 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

shocking loss as Gilly qiuckly became a favourate of mine. Everyone gets on him for holding onto the ball and not being a great assist guy, but who else can consistantly create there own shot on the team? groves had the ability years ago, but is a washed up turnover machine. Hill is the only other who can create for himself and he has struggled also. Team Gilly with a good SG or SF and we will be very dangerous.

Hate to say it but team him with Hodge and Herbie/Ng at Sg and I think we would win the whole thing easy.

Reply #266459 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"not being a great assist guy"

Led the league in assists.

Reply #266460 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

He apparently slipped on a court decal, similar to the incident that ended Steve Carfino's career.

Does this open the NBL or stadium owner to a potential lawsuit? Having played at the Dome many times, those oncourt stickers are dreadful. Fortunately, I don't move as fast as these guys but if I did .....

Makes you wonder if they shouldn't be on there to begin with. Not only do they look tacky, but they're a serious injury waiting to happen.

Reply #266465 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Moses, thats a good point. I feel they have to be there but then again do they need to be so shiny and slippery? Rather than getting rid of them, they should be coming up with a better material making them rougher in surface texture and not slippery.

Reply #266467 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

EC, the green Hood Sweeney keyway is also a decal, but it's not slippery. It's the crazy white square ones that look like my kids came up with them - they're an accident waiting to happen.

Reply #266468 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:35 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754