shano
Years ago

Cortez's game vs Crocs

i couldnt make it tonite, cortez's stat line of 16p 9a 7r sounds impressive tho i read he stuffed up the last play, was his game impressive? of course its too little too late, tho for me he has looked better when in th point spot, not that he has been impressive on many occasions.

Any opinions on his game?

Topic #22221 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think his game tonight was quite impressive, nobody wanted to take that last shot and you can't blame it on that.
I think if he had've been played at the point for the whole season with Gilly at the 2 the 36ers would have won a lot more games.

Reply #266523 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I find the title of this thread mis-leading; it implies Cortez has game.

I don't have Photoshop on this thing, so just imagine I posted Tez, Hill and Ninnis' face onto the Three Stooges.

See?

Hilarious.

Reply #266524 | Report this post

jughead  
Years ago

groves put up 3 threes in the last 4 minutes that he just did not look confident when shooting but he had made two earlier in the quarter go figure. but the rest of his game was good i thought

Reply #266528 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"that he just did not look confident when shooting"

No! He looked TOO confident. Someone shold hypnotize him and repeat "you can't shoot, you can't shoot" for an hour so he'll PENETRATE!

He was excellent in the first half before he started jacking threes. Here's my copy/paste from the game thread:

"Cortez: Isaac, if he's still not classified as a dumb player after that then I don't know who is. He was killing it through penetration and passing in the first half, the all of a sudden he hits two threes, gets a bit of confidence up and then starts jacking them up for the rest of the game without even looking at the keyway. Including, of course, that embarrassing attempt to win the game, where he was pretty easily blocked."

Oh, and lol at Loco :D

Reply #266530 | Report this post

frank  
Years ago

cortez is hot and cold he is more cold so this game is the last good game for the rest of the season

Reply #266541 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

with 2 mins, we were still 5 up and then here is goes with his 3 bombs from outside also when the shotclcok is still in double digits. if they drop great, but if they dont, then what?

In the last 20.6 seconds, he wanted to run down the clock and with his last ditch 3, he did it under pressure. Btw, why take a risky 3 if we only need a 2? The right play might have been to move players out of the key and provide space. the best shooters (ie ng) would have been better.

I might coach a girls netball team but I got a good idea of what works and that totally sucked. Groves cost us and that included his easy simple lay up that missed. Not good enough. Find a job somewhere else pls.

First team ever to get a wooden spoon. Wouldnt have happened if Mahersy and Brad Davidson were still aorund

Reply #266545 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He got cut from his last 2 gigs. What did you all expect? He can still contribute but his confidence is not what it used to be. He would be a great role player off the bench AS AN AUSSIE!! Don't shoot the messenger...

Reply #266550 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pretty right orbit.
Reading above looks like he played badly.
I'd guess if other players did 16/7/9 - it would be considered a good game, but most don't like him.
Apparently he can't dribble - it's been said.
The first game without our PG playing and that's where he used to play, while here he was signed to play a different role.
Might see even better games in the PG role.

Reply #266557 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

should have had him all season at point, 9 assists is nice, the team sucks though and changes will come. Cortez could only ever stay as a naturalised player.

Reply #266559 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree with most of the above. The frustrating thing about Cortez this year is how well he can play in patches, and then the dumb decisions he makes later on to negate much of his good work.

I expected he would have improved as the season progressed, given he missed so much of last year with a nerve injury, but it just hasnt happened he is just an impact sixth man now days.

Adelaide needed more from both imports.

Reply #266561 | Report this post

Pull Rees  
Years ago

Why doesn't Tez look to penetrate, then dish if there isn't a shot available? If another defender comes across to help, with good ball movement you should get a good outside shot.

Reply #266565 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I dont even want Cortez as an Aussie, he is that stupid. Cortez plays the game using the NBA theory, if he makes 3 shots in a row he is on fire and can jack them up from anywhere. Unfortunately for us and Cortez NBA Jam is not real and his fadeaway threes never go in.

Reply #266566 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

^^ Plus the net never gets alight either. Incidentally, I think Roberts thought he was playing NBA Jam last night when he wound up for his monster baseline dunk. Reality bites.

Reply #266573 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Groves played quite well last night and I actually preferred him in the PG role than JG. The thing that failed him was his inability to save the game when it counted the most. Don't know if others agree with me, but last night's game was typical of many they played this season where they would get a good lead and then squander it in the dying seconds. To me this says that its become a habit of the way they play and although JG did not play last night, his influence was there as he has led the team all season in the starting PG position. I would go as far as blaming JG partly for last night's loss. Also with JG taking the game into his own hands completely in those critical last seconds, has meant that no experience had been gained by the rest of the team as to how to handle that situation without him there. Its quite absurd that JG was allowed to take control of the game like that when he himself was incapable and proved too many times that the coach had to put a stop to it. He has been no Brett Maher this season by any stretch of the imagination. Its these games that Brett has been sorely missed.

Reply #266574 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Groves doesnt have a game , he has a drive if the gateway opens he scores, they close it up he loses the ball on the drive or forces a pass that isnt on .
He scored a couple of 3s but so could anyone if they leave you alone and you have fifty bl---y tries.
Ng shoots everything he gets his hands on so what does Groves do hogs the ball and then Ninnnis takes NG off .
How many times was Ballinger in corners open and screaming for the ball in last Qtr when we neede a steadier . So what does Groves dribbles the time away and jacks up shots u- 13 could do better.
No wonder Herbert gets fouled out stopping one of best players in comp. and then him and others trying to get out to Groves player on a 3 point shot.
His selfish style of play is like Hodge doesnt matter what they score you lose more games than you win .
Hodge at the least had a decent average
Sick of me and others writing negatives about this guy then dont try to write this guy up as a player or a player down on confidence .
I would like to be as half as confident as him.
Never has any player annoyed me as much as this guy .
Will only watch him one more game and never again

Reply #266596 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Who cares, he'll get fired anyway.

Reply #266608 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like an U13 could do better.
Not quite sure whether that would be the case.
I'd guess if Tez did 20/10/10 (which he nearly did) that would be no good, but if Ng Herbert Cooper and the like did it - it would be great.

Reply #266638 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Played fairly well for most of the game until a few threes at the end and the final play (which was woeful). You could tell after he made the long two and then took the dead-ball heat-check three after a foul, that he was going to start jacking threes. Fortunately, a couple went in. Unfortunately, after that, he kept trying when he should've returned to penetrating.

Reply #266639 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind him actually, on my team , if i was coaching - getting him doing the penetrating, passing stuff and getting/telling him not to jack up threes.

Reply #266641 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Have to agree with Isaac. I thought he played really well most of the game. However, he hangs on to the ball too long and on several occasions ran the clock down too far particularly in the last 5 minutes of the game. He also didn't seem to like passing to Ng or Ballinger, who were more likely to get the job done.
Another thing that really annoyed me in the game was Brad Hill's persistence in driving in and trying to play for fouls, (I guess that was his intention) when three's were needed, and he had no hope of getting the ball in over 3 or 4 crocs in the key.

Reply #266650 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

It was his play in last qtr after team getting a 11 point lead that in turn led to Groves with turnovers missed shots etc when on lots of occasions our real shooters were available but wanted to dribble into nowhere.
Although did more than usual cant see his game can be rated better than average overall.
Frustrated as thought undermanned team battled hard against a good team to give themselves a great opportunity.
Why cant Brett be kept on team to just play last 5 mins of game.
Even if not fit could do better than whats occured all year

Reply #266666 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

According to Pro-Stats, his game was the fifth most efficient of any player last round. But he can only get an 'average' here?

I agree he had some brain fades, but if he had played like that every game this season, we would be in the finals. All around, it has to be considered a good effort.

The question we should be asking on that last play is, why didn't the team (a) clear out of the key so that Cortez could take his man one-on-one to the hoop; or (b) set a good screen for him so that he could get off a clear shot. The Sixers were just standing around him allowing their defenders to sag off and crowd his space waiting for Cortez to create a miracle.

The lack of offensive structure (see coaching) is one of the reasons why Cortez has struggled this year.

Reply #266669 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well said XY, the offensive structure hasnt done too many Sixers players many favours this year.

Reply #266679 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

bretts, good idea to have Maher on the team to play just the last 5 minutes but points cap would pose a problem. Having said that though, I would have given up a couple of players on the team to free up some points for the valuable last 5 minutes. With Brett on the team in the last 5 minutes, his bench time would have been valuable also in assisting Scott. I don't doubt for a minute that the coaching would improve with some input from Brett. Could have been the answer we needed but then again, when you are bottom of the ladder, any changes would have been an improvement.

Reply #266841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754