fickle pickle
Years ago

Leading the Way: 36ers without leadership

as long time supporter of sixers its just gutting to see the season ending the way its gong We l deserve better ad so do SOS
is it lack of leadership on court - been spoilt with Brett for so many years - need to find and groom the next general - cant imagine brett letting those games slip without him stepping up
who do we look towards is the question local / interstate proven hard nose leader follow me type
not sure if blaming scotty is the way to go - give him the cattle

Topic #22228 | Report this topic

bretts the man  
Years ago

Using your term of cattle I think although did not have the players say Perth have I think comparable player for player we had equal team to most as lot of teams had under peforming imports as well.
Gilchrist certainly had the talent to be one of best imports and wonder under a stronger coach would have led to greater team output from him.
I supported Ninnis most of season but have to look how we could not close of so many games especially at home and how our second half of season was much worst than first.
Remember also he gets to pick the players within a budget of course like all teams.
Look at the Hawks if you want to know how to do it with a budget . Top experienced coach like Mcleod for Hawks a good start.
SOS must be encouraged by crowds all they have to do is make some hard decision and get the coaches and team right

Reply #266668 | Report this post

fickle pickle  
Years ago

yea think i agree hawks have shown the way - Sure SOS will make tough calls - crowds have been great - so support is there
success bring greater support -

Reply #266670 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Brett is on it, the SOS are in the position to make the decisions, just depends on what they wish to do..

I mean they can do anything really coz i'm still going to follow...not like i will jump ship just because of the coach...

makes it hard to watch, but...i'm not that shallow....i hope...

Reply #266672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would appear that you guys can structure a sentence about as strongly as the 36ers can close out a game!

Reply #266676 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ That was the prose equivalent of Wortho owning the Sixers.

Reply #266680 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

676, we all have gooder grammar than youse ever have

Reply #266694 | Report this post

fickle pickle  
Years ago

nothin rongum wit me punuaton - its bout tim we all focus on leadership rolls for the mitty 6ers - cant have eother year of bein the wooden spooners -
could davo be answer

Reply #266698 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fork Me!

I've got half an idea to wave a huge wooden spoon at the last home game. Might even try to get Scotty's and Tez's signature on it.

Reckon Ben Fitz will throw me out!

Reply #266701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stop sooking. All you do is cry.. Ninnis has been fine. You have a shit squad!! Get that thru your heads!! He has done fine you whining sore losers

Reply #266711 | Report this post

helium  
Years ago

Ben will probably be too busy whinging at the refs I reckon Jack

I actually think there are many aspects that need to be improved. Game 1 we were told they were learning the ropes yet in my capacity I have seen nothing change.

I am not going to talk about specifics because it will give away my identity. But game night first game of the year things were pointed out to management we were told it would be sorted well Saturday night we were still pointing out the same things.

Reply #266712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SOS group certainly have cut a lot of corners this season none more so than on the court.

Reply #266721 | Report this post

mr-sixer  
Years ago

Anonymous you have no idea son. You must be smoking to much crack. Ninnis sucks at being a head coach, he has no structure in the team what so ever & doesnt know how to use his players. If we had another coach we would have made the top 4 no probs. Then you look at what ninnis did, got in 2 rookie assistant coaches, who have never been an assistant coach in the NBL. What is the deal with that. I mean come on. Dont get me wrong i loved ninnis as a player, but as a coach please...... he has no idea. He got t tech-foul against the tigers which cost us the game. he needs to zip it sometimes & do what the great Phil use to do is sit & watch the game not the refs. I could keep going on, so pull your head out & watch ninnis at the last home game at what he does, & dont worry bout your hair you muppet.

Reply #266724 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Ninnis has done little in his time with us. He doesnt have the ability to coach at a national level. Perhaps in hindsight, Smythe would have done a better job but thats the way it goes.
SOS have done a fantastic job is reassessing and structuring the clubs finances and setting up its progression towards the future. Anything they havent done has gotta be in the pipeline. It takes time to build a masterpiece.
Id certainly look for a new coach (ie Mark Leader) who might be a hard ass in coaching but has the poise and know how to win games. He might be Victorian but has taken clubs to Nationals despite being in 2nd tier basketball.
SOS will know what to do and I will be there in 10/11 again doing what I do naturally. Support the team thru and thru

Reply #266725 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

When it became apparent during the Crocs game we'd find a way to lose no matter what, I asked if he'd prefer Scotty Ninnis or just S. Ninnis engraved on his spoon.

I never actually stopped and thought how insensitive it was of me not to get Cortez' opinion. Ah well - live and learn.

Random

I had a dream last night that ex-Sixers were upset as hell, tearing off their blue uniforms and throwing them in a pile at Scotty, while Brett had a small tear in his eye.

It was hilarious, as I couldn't understand a word Willie Farley (who kept turning into Darnell Mee) was saying - he had a crazy high pitched voice like the boxing dude from the Simpsons.

Weird. If I dream of bball, I'm usually on court, not in a Dr Phil-esque therapy session.

/Random

Reply #266732 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

What are you on Anon.or just struggling with life.
Where is the sooking here and read the title and try to think about it as we will finish bottom for first time ever.
Which is dissapointing to not only us supporters but especially to those SOS owners who saved our club and League.
Obviously the first place you need to look is your coach who is responsible for selecting team then there match day peformance.
You cant start assembling your team until coach appointed.
You make a statement that Ninnis should be coach again then possibly you could give reasons why rather than the blank players crap and why we lost virtually every close game including some un lossable games and why second half worse than first half when injuries were in first half of season.
Looking forward to your articulate response

Reply #266734 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

Cut corners, they started the season 3 months after everyone else! Why is it everyone on here knows everything yet nothing is the same. Who do I believe ??

Reply #266741 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'd say the general consensus for Sixer fans reads something like:

-The SOS did a great job, especially given the circumstances - I don't think anyone is debating that.

-Ballinger, Burston and Gilchrist would start on just about any team in the league.

-Beyond that, we're not overly deep, but we're not horrible either.

-Given the personnel available, finishing bottom (or close to it) is unacceptable by this club's standards.

-Scotty is loved by Sixer fans, but unfortunately has not made the transition to Head Coach as we all hoped he would.

-Given Ninnis' relative inexperience (and theirs), Hill and Flynn we're, in hindsight, perhaps not the best choices for assistants.

-Tough decisions to be made in the off season, but looking forward to 2011 with the SOS onboard with lessons learnt.

Reply #266745 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

yes tough decisions - finishing bottom and seems Ninnis was given a verbal for next season.
But we were not always a mile off the mark.
Leadership a lot has to come with the PG, of course.
We would love to keep Burston Herbert and the like, but 2 new teams and Goorj coaching NBL - gonna be interesting. Wouldn't like to see 6 or 7 new sixers players really.

Reply #266752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Scotty was contracted for another season - that's what he said after the game on Saturday anyway.

Reply #266755 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

When the clock is running down in a Melbourne Tigers game, you know that Wortho is going to come off a single on the left low block and then a double screen on the right elbow for one of his 3 pointers in the closing seconds.

When Symth was coaching, you knew that in the end of each quarter, one particular player would be isolated above the foul line. A completely different approach, but a simple one that the players adhered to.

Watching Scottys teams, irrespective of who the point guard is, i have not yet noticed an end game strategy or philosophy that the team adhears to, and to me that is the disappointing thing.

Reply #266764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Fickle Pickle needs a Tickle and a grammar lesson :)

Reply #266772 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan - We run the Hungry Hungry Hippo with one orange ball left.

Reply #266773 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Ok, so most of agree that Scott has not made the most of his opportunity but nor has Adam Ballinger. Great player? Absolutely. Great Leader? Not convinced.

Ninnis stuffed up by using his final time-out too early in the fourth so shouldn't the onus be on the Captain to lead the ship home? As our leader and clearly best player, he should have demanded the ball on that fateful final play. I would just like to see Ballinger assert his authority more so as captain.

As Loco previously mentioned Burston, Ballinger and Gilchrist are the only player that would start on any other team. If we are all honest then Holmes, Herbert, Ng, Hill and Groves would be nothing more than role players on almost every other team in the comp. Before they came to Adelaide or returned, none of them were regular starters on their previous teams.

Reply #266787 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ballinger was not the right choice as captain. I would go Burston-Holmes joint captaincy next year. Let Ballinger just play as a leadership role does not seem to be his thing.

Reply #266790 | Report this post

Maury45  
Years ago

I would just like to know how any Captain could have asserted authority when they had Gilchrist and Groves on their team.

What are the Captains supposed to do when the Coach doesn't pluck the ball hogs from the floor if they are to selfish to pass where there is opportunity.

I can't really see any of the players/Captains yelling at them "Pass me the ball you hog"!

Shouldn't it be the Coach who holds the players accountable and says pass the ball or sit your ass down. I got so sick of watching Gilchrist not pass to a wide open Ballinger or NG or anyone throughout this season. It's the pointguards that are supposed to lead and I far from believe that Ballinger is wasting opportunity as the above post insinuates.

Scott has done very little to lead the team.

The best formula for success is Good Players Good Coaches.

Reply #266794 | Report this post

Maury45  
Years ago

I would just like to know how any Captain could have asserted authority when they had Gilchrist and Groves on their team.

What are the Captains supposed to do when the Coach doesn't pluck the ball hogs from the floor if they are to selfish to pass where there is opportunity.

I can't really see any of the players/Captains yelling at them "Pass me the ball you hog"!

Shouldn't it be the Coach who holds the players accountable and says pass the ball or sit your ass down. I got so sick of watching Gilchrist not pass to a wide open Ballinger or NG or anyone throughout this season. It's the pointguards that are supposed to lead and I far from believe that Ballinger is wasting opportunity as the above post insinuates.

Scott has done very little to lead the team.

The best formula for success is Good Players Good Coaches.

Reply #266795 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Isaac I agree totally both with choice of new captains plus Ballinger not suited, but if dont change coach cant see them changing captains after only 1 year

Reply #266796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In your opinion Isaac. But then your brother would have been a better Captain.

Reply #266797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maury45/anon (same IP), clearly you're a big Ballinger fan, friend or family of his, but I'm hardly the only person to have wondered if Ballinger is leadership material; there have been many posts on the topic.

It's not necessarily a grand insult, just doesn't appear to be quite his thing. Put the captaincy on someone else (or two players) and leave Balls to relax and play his game.

After a mid-season slump, remember it was Burston who called a players meeting? He was not the captain, nor a veteran, nor was he the best player on the team, and he was in his first season as a 36er - in fact, he'd barely come back from injury but still knew something had to be said.

Reply #266799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, that is correct, this workplace has plenty of staff who Sixer's and Ballinger fans!

Reply #266801 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I said on here that he seems an easy going kinda guy, but I thought was right, rather than Holmes. Although that might've been Holmes didn't like Hodge on the team, and before Burston was here.

Reply #266803 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, that is correct, this workplace has plenty of staff who Sixer's and Ballinger fans!
Both posts were from the same computer. Maybe ask the boss to let you have one each? ;)

Not saying that he's not a great player, just that I don't think he's the captain type. There are brilliant players around the league and world who aren't necessarily captains.

Reply #266808 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Balls shows alot of emotion which we need but I think your right Isaac, not a captain person.
Having said that, Holmes's performances arent captain material either. He has guts, works hard and has passion but cant take the ball and do something with it when needed, which I think a captain needs to be able to do.
Burston I guess could do it, havent seen much heart from him on court but that doesnt mean the players dont.

Theres really noone else in the team that could be a captain thou, so do we blame Balls for not being captain material, or once again Ninnis for not providing his captain a solid structure to work with?? Would anyone else have been able to step upto the role this year.
Maher had the experience so could have, but I dont know if anyone else would.

Reply #266814 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd say Burston would be my choice right now, then Ballinger .
BUT - Just for a second there channel 7 news flashed something about their news tomorrow will run a Jacob Holmes story.

Reply #266815 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd give Balls another go especially if Scotty & the the current team are sticking around. It would be a kick in the guts for Balls to lose the job if all the coaches remain.

If the coaches are not re appointed I'd go with Burston. IMO although Jake has all the attributes of a good captain however he should only be playing limited minutes off the bench

Are the above posts confirming the coaches are signed for next year correct?

Reply #266816 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Hold up..........

Need to look at the big picture here..... Loco WTF...

When one bloke starts having dreams of a number of guys getting their gear off and strutting around naked, and then transforming into other random naked blokes then it's time to take a step back...

On a serious note, we have been blessed with a truly great leader for a number of years in Brett. I think his retirement left a larger hole than what people actually realise and/or are willing to admit, both on and off the court.

The problem is that whilst Brett was still running around no one was developed and pushed into a leadership role or was tagged as the new leader. Before Holmes left I believed that he may be that guy, I think I even mentioned his leadership whilst he was at the Goons, but I don't think he's carried it over upon his return.

The problem with developing leadership is consistency in the ranks, something Adelaide hasn't really had and when they did they relied on Brett. I was an advocate of Brad Davidson playing his season purely as I believe that he would of filled the roll. Davidson bought the leadership, had earnt the responsibility or leadership over many campaigns and was respected.

To be brutally honest I don't see anyone currently on the roster that would flourish in the leadership role, and even in a few people, would actually be a hindrance.

Reply #266818 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I agree with Maurie. Scott's the one who's not up to the job....Never was, never will be. Stick to coaching juniors...

Reply #266823 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Isaac I totally agree with your comments regarding Ballinger. In no way is taking the captaincy a slur on his basketball. Alot of sportspeople play their best when they don't have other team obligations. The captain does not need to be the best player but the one who leads with the required heart and desire to help bring the best out in their team.

For example, many people questioned Collinwood's decision to make Nick Maxwell captain but he quickly showed leadership beyond his playing capabilities. Even in the NBL, Russell Hinder in Townsville is captain because of his passion for the Crocs and the game of basketball.

Jacob Holmes should be captain and I was surprised that he wasn't this season. I believe the captaincy and its responsibilities would help Jake take his game to another level.

Reply #266828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd give the captaincy to Brad Davidson.

Reply #266829 | Report this post

mr-sixer  
Years ago

Anonymous, you clearly suffer from NFI, No F***n Idea. Brad Davidson was a great player, too many injury pron. You want a captain that is 9/10 times going to be on the court playing, not sitting on the bench. Holmes should have been captain by far, even tho he needs to practice his jump shot he is still an awsome player

Reply #266833 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Disagree with you on the Davidson comment mr-sixer. Davidson wasn't really that injury-prone where he missed a tonne of games, but he did play banged up and maybe not at a 100%, which to me, means even more. He showed heart, dedication to the cause, leadership and balls. Something this current team lacks a bit of.

His last two seasons he played in 26 games which I think is enough.

Reply #266838 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

There are no tough decisions to be made for next season. It could not be more obvious what needs to be done. I just hope SOS have the guts to do it with no regret. You have to look at it as a business decision and nothing else. No indiviual is more important than the club and preserving its history of success. There should never be any regrets at making decisions that would stop the compromise of this success. The current coaches and team have brought shame to the respectable name of the Adelaide 36ers. That has to be stopped.

Reply #266842 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Jake, you are assuming that Ballinger wants the captain's role. He may be happy to give up the responsibility and concentrate on his game.

Reply #266845 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

TR - Or change dealers.

Reply #266848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Nosaac, I think that getting your brother back across to the 36er's would be a very helpful decesion given that he has had a Stella Year !!!!!.
I'm sure he would be captain material.
For starters Winners breed Winners and giveing this team has yet got their mixture right, they are in trouble
I believe the starting point for a sucessful team starts with MANAGEMENT then COACHING STAFF then the TEAM.
All members are to be account for not just the coach and captain.
3 Club MVP's with another surley under his belt, doesn't mean he is going to be a great Captain if the mixture is not there.
Ever tried to start a motor that has to much oil runs like S$%^.
The key to this club is solid direction.
Adam will suceed as a great captain but firstly the whole club needs direction and this can not come from one man.

Reply #266861 | Report this post

colin ford  
Years ago

Anon861

This was exactly the point we well maury initially was trying to make (but if you have more than one person writing on the same computer than the opinions are not very valid apperently. don't exacly work in a place that warrants more computers.

it's gotta start from the top. in any business. the hierarchy needs to be solid and the players then follow suit and DIRECTION. We reckon there was a huge lack of respect for the coach, players and captain this season as above someone mentioned there were alot of hungry hungry hippos. that and the coach did nothing to enforce some authority. thats not how the tigers or other teams get the wins surely. they want success for the team the pride to win games, not build statistics.

thats just my opionion anyways.

Reply #266864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes seems to me that IP Address's are a huge disappointment for some people who can only hide behide the policing badge of disclosing the facts of assumption.
There any many that use this computer as we all board together.
We are loyal 36ers fans and we get jacked that so called comments like.
"OH OH you have the same IP address as Do Da - HeHeHe"
Get a life and write facts not S#$%.
Very disapponited in this method you use Isaac if you are the Captain of this site act like one.

Jake has a very valid point, clubs are hoping for the 36ers to kick Ball's in the guts as they have already pre signed chq's awaiting delivery.

Reply #266869 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

As someone else said, taking the captaincy off Ballinger doesn't necessarily equate to a "kick in the guts" - he may well even welcome the move.

It's all predicated by who's coaching in 2011 and what squad we wind up with - we don't even know what players we're choosing between here.

Reply #266871 | Report this post

colin ford  
Years ago

good point loco but i do rekon it seems a kick though no one would really want to give up captaincy. no one even knows who will be who next season.

Reply #266873 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"OH OH you have the same IP address as Do Da - HeHeHe"
Get a life and write facts not S#$%.
What I posted was a fact, that the two posts were from the same IP address and from the same browser.

I'm not putting blame solely onto Ballinger at all; I've clearly said all over the place that I would look to change coaches and adjust the roster. Suggesting that captaincy might not be Ballinger's thing isn't lumping all blame for finishing bottom two on him at all, and far from it.

Reply #266886 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Anonymous # 871,

How about making an effort then and filling in the name section so we can tell when we are reading a post from a different person rather thna have a myriad of varying commenst posted under anonymous.

Reply #266888 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Im still yet to be convinced that massive change is actually needed.

If Burston was fit and you had 2 qualityimports then Im sure Ninnis would have lkooked like a guna nd you would be in the finals.

Yes Gilchrist had great numbers, but so did Jason Crowe when he played up here.

If you had a McKee at point and a quality scoring SF you would all be singing a vastly different tune right now.

That said, the buck has to stop somewhere and the coach is normally the first to feel the wrath of the club in any sport when a team doesnt perform

Reply #266889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, I have similar thoughts, but can you risk a season where you make one change (e.g., just Ninnis, or keep Gilchrist but replace Groves) only to have similar difficulties in 2010/11? The risk is replacing Ninnis only to find that Gilchrist is problematic next year and the coach wants him gone. Or just replacing Groves to find that the side still collapses in the fourth and the problems run deeper.

Reply #266890 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I thought Gilly was done for 12 months-ish? Isn't that ballpark for an ACL injury of this type?

Reply #266895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, that was the "up to 12 months" case - just accounting for the occasional random post on here about him staying for next year or Ninnis having a verbal for another year, etc.

Reply #266897 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Cant believe posters are saying that Isaac ,myself and others want to dump on Ballinger.
We are suggesting that on the surface it seems that the captaincy doesnt sit that well with Adam and that a stronger captain might help in 2010-11.
Clearly if this can be arranged with Ballingers support.
The only defenites most posters are saying is that
Ninnis unfortunately is not up to at this level and with NBL inexperienced coaches we havebeen found wanting in direction and leadership along with real NBL nous.
General feel is also that both imports need to be replaced along with Cooper and Molitor.
There is divided opinion on whether Hill should be replaced as well.
I think Hill should be given another go just leaving
the 2 imports which change regularly anyway and the 2 least used players .
Surely that is not seen as a overhaul in anyones opinion,
But change in coaching is a must to get the club back on track and for SOS to show that they are not prepared to put up with such a disastrous finish to year.
Only good thing about finishing bottom there is only one direction you can go

Reply #266899 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Hate to point it out Bretts, but being bottom of the ladder does not necessarily mean the only move you can make is up. You can stay still in that position. A second year of staying still on the bottom rung of the ladder would be deemed worse than the first year because you haven't done anything to change it. This is why there is a necessity to make some major changes next season.

Reply #266927 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Or ABA.

Just saying is all.

Reply #266930 | Report this post

lo 36  
Years ago

Ballinger was the captain his junior and senior year at Michigan State. So I am pretty sure he can handle being captain of the 36ers.

Reply #266962 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gotta feeling Ninnis offered Ballinger for a number of years and Adam was 'honoured' to get that (while NZ were seriously chasing him)

While only yesterday Flinders Uni made a press statement about the court order.

Reply #266966 | Report this post

Modern Girl  
Years ago

Anons with the same IP addresses.....OWNED!

Reply #266986 | Report this post

Sares  
Years ago

Being a good captain doesn't necessarily come easy, when Maher first became captian Mark Davis was still playing although in a small role. At the time, we used to comment that for a captain Maher didn't talk much during matches, Davis used to often call the players together for a huddle.

And Maher's early seasons he had the support of more mature experienced players, Darnell Mee etc, making the job that much easier.

Ballinger seems to have stepped in as captain, mainly because there wasn't anyone else. Give it some time and appoint Holmes or Burston as co/vice-captain to give some support.

On a side note, I thought Gilly's injury was worse than just the ACL, but also damage to his medial ligament....hence the longer recovery time????

Reply #266989 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754