Anonymous
Years ago

SASI SCHOLARSHIPS

Does anyone know who has been offered full scholarships at SASI this year and if anyone has been cut?

Topic #22250 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep know of a couple of scholarships but we aren't allowed to name them and a few dropped, go to sasi tonight and all will be revealed

Reply #266980 | Report this post

Random  
Years ago

I think you'll find some "quit" not "dropped".

Reply #266982 | Report this post

mumbojumbo  
Years ago

Its no longer a merit thing if it ever was and all final year 18's get full status which amounts to very little in a practical sense.

Reply #266985 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Agree, they do quit.....Like Willy Wonka, unless you've got the Golden Ticket, dont waste your time!

Reply #266999 | Report this post

Modern Girl  
Years ago

The situation at SASI with the 2nd year U18 girls at the moment is "last girls left, get a scholarship"

There is some absolute talent amongst the few remaining; however I could easily come up with at least 4 other names that have dropped out of this program during the last 6 months that would have been deserving of the same accolade.

Surround yourself with "yes" men and women and you wont ever hear what you really need to hear.

Reply #267003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what does do the scholarship do for the girls anyway, what is the differene between associate and full

Reply #267011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be interested in the "at least 4 names", WHO?

Reply #267014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matters little any way if they were any good they wouldnt be here now

Reply #267022 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

SASI always brings out the best the kids who go there, and something else in the (parents) who don't.

As a point of interest, SASI was previously Kidman Park High School. Can anyone name the SOS member who went to school there when it was Kidman Park High School? (no phone a friend people)

Reply #267028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scholarships are meaningless as opposed to a decade ago when most thing SASI meant 'paid for'. Those running SASI have lost the plot and they lose too many players, cut who they should keep and keep who they should cut. There seems precious little accountability and an incredible amount of nepotism.
The difference between full and associate is the name. Benefits of SASI seem to be a 24 hour bus trip to the east coast, a pay as you go end of year compulsory graduation celebration as an aftermath of a heavilly, sturt foccued supposed SASI camp .There was an end of year 7-8 grand overseas trip that now happens only when they deem they have enough 'decent players.
As above posters have said every 2nd year girl gets a full scholarship if they can breathe mainly because the male focussed training means only a handful of 18's ever stay with the so called 'program'.
Obviously the program is struggling and many expected the post kinsman era to pick things up but the selections in the main have a produced an AIS team that is still winless and non competitive even against average teams in the WNBL.

Reply #267029 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Many of the better multi talented sports kids don't even go to SASI - I could name a bucket load of kids over the years that have rejected the offer to attend much to Neils disdain. He must hate other sports.

Reply #267048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pity, I had the 10th in the "Monthly sook about SASI"...

Reply #267051 | Report this post

Modern Girl  
Years ago

267014 - Cant name U18's anon.

If you have been involved with SASI over the last 18 months you cant be suggesting that at least 4 girls that have left the u18's program of their own accord were not deserving of a full scholarship.

Reply #267054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Modern Girl, I wasn't suggesting anything, I was asking who the girls were that dropped out. I suppose that by the time they reach U18 if nothing special has happened for them then it isn't likely to, why continue slugging away training if you feel you're going nowhere. It becomes more difficult to commit to a program as you get older because other things come along, year 12, jobs, boyfriends, girlfriends and so on. I have been involved in the SASI program and my child does have full scholarship and we are more than happy, always have been, never had a whinge to make about SASI or NG at all, grateful for every and any opportunity that comes along. I know some girls were dropped for what ever reason NG seems fit to use, and I know some have dropped out because of other commitments in sport or personal reasons.

Reply #267057 | Report this post

We are also involved in the SASI program and my child has a full scholarship. We are very happy, always have been. We are grateful for every opportunity, direction, feedback and help received from SASI, its coaches and NG. My child is dedicated to this sport and also gives 100% back.

Reply #267087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! A positive parent.... Mmm I find it interesting that it would appear that your child is actually successful and committed too. Might be a pattern there I think mmmm

Reply #267090 | Report this post

Do you think!!!

Reply #267091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My child is also one of those top age SASI Scholarship holders and we are happy with SASI and NG too. Our daughter is dedicated to the sport and we are greatful for all the input SASI & NG have given her. If a child works hard at SASI there is a lot to be taken out of it.

Reply #267092 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Fark, now I see alot of parents read this forum...

Reply #267093 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two positive posts in a day (and different IPs for the doubters) - tears of joy!

Reply #267095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any odds the above parental lovers of SASI are from Forestville and Sturt but I need to also confess my love for NG and the hope that one day he'll notice me too.

Reply #267104 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

ditto to that anonymous

Reply #267107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I too love him more than words can say but that love is surpassed by the unrequited love I have for the parent that sits, rain or shine and within earshot of my god at every SASI training. Wonder I if that dear soul be one, whose prose in glory of the king, doth repose above

Reply #267109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may be, shame on her for taking an interest in her daughter and wanting to be involved in her life, how dare she, she should just do a dump and run like most parents at sporting events and training.

Reply #267113 | Report this post

You people are ridiculous, christ arent your knives blunt enough yet!!! If its not SASI its NG personally, or Sturt, or Forrestville, or the parent that dare supports their child, or the coach, or the coffee you bought, or the old lady crossing the street. Give the basketball world a break and join another sport and bag the shit out of the kids that do well there and the people that help them achieve!!!

Reply #267120 | Report this post

enjoythegame  
Years ago

My son went all the way through SASI and had a scholarship, and why some people dont like NG my son thourght he was good and tuff,if you dont like a tuff coach dont enter the SASI program AND NO my son did not come from the evil 2 (sturt or egales) If they are good enough they will make it,........... Keep up the good work NG ( ps.Bitching on here wont get you a SASI scholarship only hard work will )....

Reply #267142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

enjoythegame, if you're the father I can't wait to see the grammar your son uses.

Reply #267156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's something to be said for 'dump and run' parents. A lot of times parents make the game all about themselves by being seen all the time and talking to everyone and more importantly fueling gossip.
We forget the game is for our children and some people would make the game happier and healthier for lots of others including the children if they they themselves became 'dump and run' parents!!

My child plays at state level and I love watching her game, but I'll be damned if I sit and watch every training session. She doesn't need that and I have other things to do because it's not about me!!
I don't follow her to school and sit in the classroom watching her every movement. Back off and let them have their own lives.

Reply #267171 | Report this post

giloran69  
Years ago

AMEN BounceBounceBounce AMEN to all that you say!!!!!

The sport would be a lot healthier overall if the bitter, envious adults who constantly snipe at successful clubs, coaches and kids would take a hik.

Poor Isaac - has to cheer a few positive posts because of all the negative crap. Tall Poppy Syndrome alive and well in SA?

Reply #267317 | Report this post

Modern Girl  
Years ago

ANON, 267057, I dont really care what you where or where not suggesting....you CANT name U18 kids on here, so I wont be.

You have some valid points; however your surely not suggesting that all he scholarship holders that are left have done "something special" because that just isn't the case. In fact some of the kids that have dropped out have done a lot more.

Good on the kids for sticking with it though.

I still stand by my original post and my last line.

Reply #267320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sasi scholarships are up on the Basketball SA website for those interested.

Reply #268136 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They seem to be from a wide range of clubs, which is good.

Reply #268153 | Report this post

NITP (:  
Years ago

wow, give NG a break, hes a good man, hes obviously been dealing with this for ages, now he just knows how to handle it, and obvisouly some of you have no talent, so he hasnt even looked at you,

Reply #268710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did Darren do?

Reply #268713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:26 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754