anon
Years ago

Eastern U18 Div 1 forfeit to train instead

Our lads at Southern tonite in the under 18 boys div 1 don't have a game as the Eastern mavs have decided to go on a training camp for the weekend. They have actually forfeited. What sort of disregard for the opposition and the competition is that. One would have thought it was supposed to be an elite comp. Cound't BASA do anything about it or have they been fined. I know they are the measuring stick this year but smacks a little of arrogance one would think.

Topic #22255 | Report this topic

noah  
Years ago

I don't think BASA can do anything about this because, well, they don't exist.

Reply #267056 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Boom, boom.....

Mavs looking good at top of table undefeated, I suppose just one forfeit wouldn't hurt?

Reply #267059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and who is sitting second, dont want to give the tigers boys a chance to get a victory before they face off in the finals

Reply #267060 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

A bit of cat and mouse stuff...they would have been fined for the forfeit.

Reply #267062 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Sorry, this is amateur sport, and Junior sport at that.

To forfeit a match for the reasons listed above would have to break the National Code for Youth in Sport. (or a document with a similar name I cant recall)

Sort of like throwing a game to deny a team entrance into the finals etc (which happened in a country league a few years ago)

Not a good example to the kids. Further action should be taken and penalties should be given out.

Mind you Basketball in SA and Australia have been notoriously spinless on most decisions.

Reply #267065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason they have forfeited is because most of the boys are at a compulsory SA Country national selection camp. If they didn't go they wouldn't be considered for Nationals. Just unfortunate for the district comp that the Mavs are made up of so many talented country boys.

Reply #267066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well play your div 2 players, give them an oportunity
Forfeit div 2.

Reply #267069 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Some people have little understanding of this situation so I will spell it out.

The whole team and coach are attending a compulsory selection camp for the SA Country Uner 18 National team so they are unavailable to play tonight.

Under the BSA by laws there is no provision for BSA to reschedule the game as the players are not absent due to national championship commitments.

Thus the options were to -
1. Ask the players to miss SA Country selection (if I was a player I would be going to State traing)
2. Forfeit this weeks Div 1 game
3. Forfeit Div 2 game and bring Div 2 team into Div 1

Option 1 is totally unacceptable, and while option 3 may be valid to some it is also unacceptable. Playing the Div 2 team in Div 1 will mean a Div 2 team will miss a game due to the forfeit.

As for the original poster, stating "but smacks a little of arrogance one would think", is a gross misstatement!! Prioritising commitments to chase the goal of representing your State at a national championship is not arrogant at all.

Reply #267074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you are saying option 2 is more "acceptable" than option 3? You have got to be joking!

Reply #267076 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Without buying in too much, I agree the boys should follow their dream and give themselves the chance of making the nationals team..

I would have thought they 'may' have tried to get the game's date changed as they have had enough time to do so, I mean they cancel games for the BDO!

Reply #267077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With enough notice I am sure this game could have been rescheduled - it has happened before.

Reply #267079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well actually they really weren't given much notice, only notified last monday by mail that they were selected to trial, and last year they girls and boys went after the district game, got on the bus at 11.30 p.m. to travel to Minlaton arrived there at 2.30 in the morning only to get up to train at sparrows call. I guess SA country thought it would be better to leave earlier, but did not give the kids time or the knowledge to organise in advance other commitments.

Reply #267080 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Someone has to miss out if there is a forfeit...you just dont want it to be you.

I dont think the div 2 boys should have to get a flogging just so you can get a game...

Reply #267081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we're missing the real issue.

S.A. Country are happy for District Clubs to help develop Junior basketballers from the Country but then arrange a State Selection Camp which clashes with the only elite junior competition in S.A.

Eastern should be asking S.A. Country to pay the fine they'll receive.

Reply #267083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure you all miss the point, I doubt you read the previous posts.

Reply #267085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read Jack 'dumber than dumb' Tofts replay and it says it all. One forfeit wont hurt. Let's all forfeit one game per season of our own choosing with disregard to the comp or the game because little jack says it wont matter

Reply #267086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I'd say that Jack was referencing the top side's position on the table and nothing more, not the entire competition.

Reply #267089 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thank you Isaac, yes I was. Unfortunately, only a few of the smarter posters on here understand me at times. Mavs are top of the table and are undefeated.

Forfeiting is not a situation preferred by any club or team, nor should the competition encourage it. I don't believe any club or team should forfeit if they have to. Bringing players up is not an ideal solution as it is not like playing football where an athlete can have a run in the B's, then play for the A's as well. In this case, it seems there has been a major stuff up with SA Country organising a compulsory thing on the same night as district.

Unfortunately for the outer metro clubs, a significant number of players are country players and Mavs seems to have a high number of state country players.

The issue here is forfeits in general. I would be interested to know just how many forfeits occur during a season and for what reason. I would expect that some clubs have higher forfeit rates than others. I would suggest that the forfeit rate of "make up" games is higher than normal season games. Make up games are held on Sunday mornings (yes, they are supposed to have regular trainings), but some kids do have other things on Sunday mornings. In my experience I have had one game where my child's team had to forfeit because a significant number of players went to a private school who had a compulsory school-church function that morning. My child's team has also been forfeited to when the other club couldn't field a team as a significant number of their players had other sports they played on Sunday mornings.

At the end of the day the situation is not an ideal one and no-one should forfeit games if possible, but with Mavs being so dominant in that comp, they will be there for finals regardless of this game, and the extra % and points might just secure the Tigers finals action.

Reply #267097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they lose by forfiet so obviously lose premiership points. does it really matter? the team they were playing against got a free win and likely got a 20-0 scoreline. whats the big deal

Reply #267115 | Report this post

victorian  
Years ago

My lad plays for the mavs and let me assure you they would all have loved to play southern tonite. I know the coach would have preferred to play as well but with the short time frame until nationals it is a matter due to distance etc that camps and selections are made. I believe the state country teams for both boys and girls will be selected after the camp. It is an unfortunate gig but its only one week.

Reply #267121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know there was a norwood lad and a forestville lad that went to trial as well. Obviously they would miss a game as well.

Reply #267124 | Report this post

noah  
Years ago

I think some poeple on here (eg. anons) need to just suck it up. Christ, its not like your betting on these games (cause its kinda illegal - i think??). If its the kids who are posting on this, yeah it sucks that you don't get to play against the best team in the league, but you'll live.

Reply #267125 | Report this post

Option 4 - SA country consider the competion that develops their kids....

Reply #267127 | Report this post

country bum  
Years ago

Or Junior Dev above, BASA consider the kids that lift the standard of the comp.

Reply #267130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

option 5 - everyone should just stop sooking about life, and move on.

Mavs boys had to go to state training, so they couldnt play. Big Deal, it was only gunna be a loss for Southern anyway...

Reply #267136 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

If your Southern and bitchin...give it up..You won...

The boys that have had to go to camp are following the next stage of their dream....which they are entitled to do..

Nationals is important to them...and is on them straight away...

get some bricks...or a cup of cement!

Reply #267139 | Report this post

Coach 5  
Years ago

As a coach in the Country program, here are the facts that I know. BSA were informed of this camp back in October of last year. Club coaching directors were given notice by BSA also at this time.

The SAC kids & parents were notified in November 2009

No blame on any party, just the facts. This is just the summer season right?

Reply #267146 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

The program was out, but the kids that were selected were only notified last week that the camp was on.

I fail to see how any one thing is to blame here. Kids need to do that. And guess what...while they may be in mens bodies they are still kids.
Get of your high horse and take it like the adults you are!!

Reply #267152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After everyone has had their whine, I would like to wish the boys and girls, country and metro good luck with their national selections.

Reply #267159 | Report this post

country bum  
Years ago

Out of interest only southern could lose a forfiet - I presume they won when they realised no one was turning up.

Reply #267160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach 5 are you saying that S.A. Country shouldn't wear any blame for this mess for organising a "compulsory" camp that clashes with the only elite junior competition in SA?

Reply #267201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, stop sooking.. Country is far and wide, they need a weekend to hold the camp. Its only one game, WHO GIVES A SH*T!!

Reply #267210 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Dont you just love the comment "It is just Summer Season isn't it?" crap

You pay the same entry fee, the same spectator fee, a slightly reduced club fee , but it is only Summer?
What a crock................

BSA has done nothing to get rid of this in the time they have been bailed out to start a fresh.

If it is only Summer,why do kids that make Nationals play in it ?

I am sorry, it is really sorry day for the sport in SA, either country or metro , when we have the "Elite" comp having a forfiet in Div 1 on a Friday night.

Question?
If we are "modelling ourselves" on the Victorian model with domestic comps, Elite Comps, Summer "phases comps that are terrible" would they allow a Div 1 team to forfiet on the "premier night " for baksetball in their state

Answer
NO

BSA needs to act quickly so it doesn't happen again !!!!!
What a crock

Reply #267230 | Report this post

fresh  
Years ago

fresh

Reply #267233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon before you go bagging BSA....didn't they help you with the stadium floors, etc? Still not happy, I guess that says it all!

Reply #267240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern will whinge about anything.

Reply #267245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only Southern can complain about a win from a forfeit. If they would have played they would have lost. Take the points and you can thank mavs for giving you a chance to play in the finals later.

Reply #267310 | Report this post

Modern Girl  
Years ago

I'm always left wondering why SAC just dont bite the bullet and have their camps in Adelaide?

Unless I'm mistaken the majority of kids selected for the SAC squads are already playing in the district comp; most of them have networks of accommodation already worked out for regular season games. I know of another teams that now have kids boarding in Adelaide going to the camp at Jamestown.

At the end of the day state should always take the front row over district...the two entity's just need to get their act together for the benefit of all players, metro or SAC, but I guess that is never going to happen.

Reply #267316 | Report this post

MAVS MAN  
Years ago

the boys are very skilful and are a great bunch. they have braging rights till somebody steals their glory.

Reply #267325 | Report this post

Afroman  
Years ago

What is the big fuss about.

Why can they not re schedule the game to another day?

What about a little bit of flexibility.

Reply #267413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

afroman, that would need common sense, and that is in short supply at BSA, all it would have taken was for eastern to ring the tigers coach, request to play it on thursday night, he would have ok'd it then get BSA to swap a thursday night game around, not that hard

Reply #267544 | Report this post

oberon50  
Years ago

Thursday night doesnt really work when you have kids from the country playing, but your point is valid nonetheless. The game should have been rescheduled.

Reply #267545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game should have gone ahead on the Friday and S.A. Country should not have forced the kids to miss their Friday night game.

Reply #267547 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Anybody know the score ?? (lol)

Reply #267550 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

547??? The game did go ahead on the Friday. That's why it was a forfeit.

Reply #267551 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

State training first end of story

Reply #267664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if it had been metro national training that coincided with a game, would there be the concern, or is it just the same old same old regarding country.

Reply #267674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if a metro coach had tried to arrange a training that clashed with district game of that age group BSA wouldn't have allowed it to happen.

That's the point. SAC do whatever the hell they want. Encourage their kids to play in the district competition, have district clubs help develop their skills but in return show no respect for the competition.

Reply #267675 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Are people still going on about this???

Reply #267682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I dont understand is why this camp had to be held in Jamestown.
I would have thought Adelaide would have been a Central point for ALL country players,travelling from the 4 corners of our state, thus would have still allowed them to do what they do on a Friday night.
Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #267685 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

They should do it in the country tho as it is after all SA Country.......

Reply #267687 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Think you will find Eastern wanted to change BSA said no - who cares anyway now its been and gone. Move on.

Reply #267697 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Why don't they just hold it at Mt Barker. That seems to be a magnet for state country players.

Reply #267699 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Jack...come on man, stop be a b!tch...

we know yr love of the country program goes long and far...

Reply #267705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#267685 -
Mt Gambier to Adelaide - 4 hrs
Port Lincoln to Adelaide - 8 hours
Broken Hill to Adelaide - 8 hours

so is adelaide central, or perhaps is central somwhere north of adelaide....?

Reply #267717 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My experience with my club is whenever they request to have a game moved due to Nationals or whatever the answer is always NO. So I dont think BSA would have moved the game anyhow.

Reply #267728 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

BMF,
yes that was a little bitchy.

Reply #267732 | Report this post

mead25  
Years ago

Anon - games are always moved due to Nationals. But this was only a training camp and could have been held at another time.

Reply #267734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamestown looking at the state map is pretty central.

Reply #267738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, forestville 18 girls had a game moved without any trouble

Reply #267742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so it's a case of BSA looking after the metro clubs, but not the (perceived) country club of Mavs.
Why does this not surprise me?

Reply #267744 | Report this post

mead25  
Years ago

no 744 - this was only a training camp. It has nothing to do with Mavs. I know that Norwood and Forestville were also missing players, obviously only one or two though.

Reply #267745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually mead25 it wasn't just training, it was a selection camp, it was compulsory if you wanted a shot at nationals. No show, no selection, simple as that and the kids were told about it months ago, but they still had to wait to see if they were in the inital squad of 15 first. This has all been explained further back in the earlier posts, just read all of it not just the last couple of days. PUT IT TO BED, IT'S OVER AND DONE.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #267757 | Report this post

mead25  
Years ago

757 I think we all understand that. A training camp IS a selection camp, so that point is irrelevant. The fact is that there was absolutely no need to impact on district games. Metro training doesn't interfere with games, so why SA Country have felt the need to do this is beyond me.
I can tell you first hand that there are some people invoved with SA junior basketball at the highest levels who were more than a little pissed off about all this. Not exactly happy families between BSA and SAC.
At the end of the day, the kids missed out on a district game, and so did the Southern kids. The fact that kids had to attend the "selection camp" (happy now?) has no bearing on when the camp was held. Metro kids have to attend all sessions as well, but not to the detriment of games.

#757 take off your SAC rose-coloured glasses and take it for what it is. YOU need to read more carefully.

Reply #267771 | Report this post

mead25  
Years ago

757 I think we all understand that. A training camp IS a selection camp, so that point is irrelevant. The fact is that there was absolutely no need to impact on district games. Metro training doesn't interfere with games, so why SA Country have felt the need to do this is beyond me.
I can tell you first hand that there are some people invoved with SA junior basketball at the highest levels who were more than a little pissed off about all this. Not exactly happy families between BSA and SAC.
At the end of the day, the kids missed out on a district game, and so did the Southern kids. The fact that kids had to attend the "selection camp" (happy now?) has no bearing on when the camp was held. Metro kids have to attend all sessions as well, but not to the detriment of games.

#757 take off your SAC rose-coloured glasses and take it for what it is. YOU need to read more carefully.

Reply #267772 | Report this post

Fred hollows  
Years ago

half of u dont even nowm the mavs team!!

Reply #269022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fred, What is that in English? Must school lunch time.

Reply #269046 | Report this post

Southern Tigers  
Years ago

After watching Southern knock off the Mavs tonight in the Summer Grand Final probably just as well the Mavs did forfeit this game otherwise they would have lost two games.

lol

Reply #270551 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Hey southern tigers - learn a little bit about humility. I saw that game. Yes your guys won and well done. Its the first thing that that group of kids have ever won and they have improved, but lets put it in perspective. Twice you were 10 pts plus ahead and in the end won by 2 after being headed. Mavs should never have been that close. You should have won by 20. Fact - Mavs had 2 of their starters out a third had the flu, 1 had a bad ankle and their point guard had the begeezes knocked out of him and stuffed his ribs. The fact your kids played a zone all night suggests a lack of something in the defensive end. Guarantee you one thing, if you hadn't won last nite you would not have won a thing all year. Enjoy the win, now for the real mccoy.

Well done to all teams that won last night.

Reply #270559 | Report this post

Hear the roar  
Years ago

Victorian,

That depends on whether Eastern decide to turn up for the rest of the year. As it stands now, it is Southern 2 Eastern 0.

Sorry we couldn't beat your full team, they never seem to turn up when we play, but that s not our fault now is it!

Reply #270560 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Hear the Roar, How did the rest of your Div 1 teams go in the finals?

Reply #270562 | Report this post

Hear the roar  
Years ago

About as well as the other Eastern teams.

Reply #270565 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

its 2 1 hear the roar eastern did win the first game by 20. congrats to southern they were the better team on the day, they also had their point guard out. just dont let it get to ur heads southern as it seems to be doing, after all u did only just win the summer season.

Reply #270578 | Report this post

Southern Tigers  
Years ago

Victorian

the fact the Southern Boys had not won a thing before is a great testament to the boys and their recent coaches as they have come from about 10th best to top without recruiting in one single kid in the past 3 years.

A win for perseverance and true development

Reply #270580 | Report this post

Victorian  
Years ago

Hear the roar - how do your teams go when you come over here to the big V ?. What you don't come !!!- is that because you don't get invited or don't qualify.

As I said your kids have improved - reality is your coach made a few blews and in all honesty when you haave a team down like you did by 12 at least twice he made some basic coaching errors.

There is no doubt Eastern will be at the classics in June - Will you be ? Your zone won't work over here. Back your kids in and play man to man D. Problem is you have not taught your your kids how to.

Happy to wager that - now I'll just wait to get bagged. Is Southern cuzin out there still ?

Reply #270582 | Report this post

Southern Tigers  
Years ago

Victorian - This team went to Melbourne and won Eltham A Grade in January!!! So either those teams could not hanlde a zone or we played man D.

Reply #270583 | Report this post

Hear the roar  
Years ago

Ummm Victorian,

how can you ask how we are going to do in Victoria, when you obviously were watching the game last night?

Either you have a kid from the Mavs team, or you are a lonely Victoria loser who can over on a Friday night just to watch grand finals. Which would be rediculous.

So are lying or stupid?

Reply #270584 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

victorian, southern are a quality side and would do alright in victoria as apparently they did at eltham. That is hard for me to say being a mavs man.

Reply #270587 | Report this post

Hear the Roar  
Years ago

Victorian.

A deafenning silence.

Reply #270630 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754