team
Years ago

36ers team 2010/11

This is my prefered 36ers team for next year.
If the sixers sos are serious about getting some results they have to do this.

PG- Import or Gilly depending on how quick he can recover. Common sense says new import more likely, but would love to see a Hodge/Gilly import combo.

SG- Darren NG. (He has a license to shoot the ball whenever he wants at any stage of the game and on any place on the court. In return he must promise to play good containment one on one defence.

SF- Hodge. What happened with hodge was with the last management so lets all put it behind us so we can win. And he's friends with gilly so that import combo would gel. Bringing him back would certainly up interest in the 36ers again as at the moment we are on the scrapheap of sport in SA. Deep down I think he has just been misunderstood through all of this.

PF- Ballinger. (No brainer)

C- Bring back the ranger Lukey back. (Burston is a waste of space and we wouldve had Luke this year if we hadn't signed Burston too early.

6th- Herbert (Also a no brainer. Should be in top 3 MVP voting for the 36ers this year.)

7th- Brad Hill

8th -Jacob Holmes

9th- Mottram

10th- Doesn't really matter as they wont play. (These 40 min games are the worst) This could be used as a raffle every week with the winner able to suit up and warm up with the team. Understand I'm joking but this position is non relevant.

Coach- Ian Stacker (The most obvious no brainer out of the lot of them. If it means we have to pay him a little bit more than ninnis and the SOS has to cut back on nights out on the town to affrod him than so be it.

Assistant coach- Guy Molloy. Will come cheap to get back in the league. Much better than Hill and certainly better than Flynn.

Whats everyone's thoughts?
I want going to watch the sixers to be exciting again not like the bore fest we have been put through this season.

Topic #22270 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many threads do we need to make on this

Reply #267249 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Another thead?!?

Ok what the hell:

"SF- Hodge. What happened with hodge was with the last management so lets all put it behind us so we can win. And he's friends with gilly so that import combo would gel. Bringing him back would certainly up interest in the 36ers again as at the moment we are on the scrapheap of sport in SA. Deep down I think he has just been misunderstood through all of this."

You're the first person I've heard say that without it being a joke or bait (I'm pretty sure you were being serious there). Please don't be a dickhead.

Starters:

C - M.Burston

PF - A.Ballinger

SF - Import (Athletic 198-205cm SF/SG, 15ppg 6rpg 3apg type with good range)

SG - D.Ng

PG - Import (Smart playmaking 185-195cm PG, 12ppg 5rpg 8apg type who can score when he needs to and performs in the clutch)

C - U23 Australian big man. If not, Cooper

PF/SF/C - J.Holmes

SF/SG - B.Hill

SF/SG - N.Herbert

PG - C.Groves (as an Australian and some very tight instructions by the new coach) or a good Aussie backup like Robbins, Crosswell or worst case Burdon, or a returning College player/Adam Doyle if we need an U23er.

Reply #267250 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Mainly interested in todays announcement that -
SF/SG Nathan Herbert is a must get by the Tigers.

( Is a keeper here also of course, but wonder
re plan B should he go the the Tigers?)

Reply #267251 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

He seems like one of the most decent guys on the team. Just a real good bloke! So Melbourne would be a bad fit.

Reply #267252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

schenscher? hes all yours!

Reply #267255 | Report this post

mr-sixer  
Years ago

sorry guys i am against getting hodge back. after what he did that was disrespectful & would not want him in a sixers top, sorry. that is just my oppinion

Reply #267256 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

...and everyone else's. Don't apologise.

Reply #267265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep-Ballinger, Herbert, Ng and possibly Holmes. Try and bring Schenscher back and if that fails re-sign Burston (keep in mind his wife is playing here too). Sign Ayinde Ubaka & sign Brad Davidson as the back up point. Perhaps make a run at Abercrombie or Webster at the Breakers with the promise of plenty of minutes.

Punt-Gilchrist (out for next seasnon anyway), Groves (lol), Hill, Cooper & Molitor.

Ubaka/Davidson
Ng/Abercrombie
Herbert/under 23
Ballinger/Holmes
Schenscher/Burston

Reply #267272 | Report this post

Years ago

" SF - Import (Athletic 198-205cm SF/SG, 15ppg 6rpg 3apg type with good range) "

xatik

= tyler smith from USA

Reply #267277 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Hodge coming back to the Sixers would be hard. Not because of the "team" situation as the "disrespect" of a club legend, but because he would have to contend with a large number of diehard fans who turn up to the games.

The masses would be fine with it; can't say the same for the more "ravenous" sixers fans.

Hodge is certainly good for the league in regards to the game he brings, but even if he wanted to sign with the Sixers, he'd probably be heckled for a few weeks/months.

Reply #267278 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Abercrombie is signed to the Breakers. I'd guess that after a season out of the league, Davidson has more or less retired.

Reply #267284 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I would go with this group. Not sure of previous contracts with other teams though.

PG - Import/U23 Player
SG - Toovey/Ng
SF - Worthington/Rillie(1 year contract)
PF - Ballinger/Holmes
C - Johnson/Cooper

Priorities
- Exciting new point guard.
- Go after Worthington and see if we cant sway him to Adelaide
- Release Herbert as Melbourne will throw more money at him than he is worth
- Go get Daniel Johnson for the starting 5 spot
- Go after Toovey, great player who can shoot the outside shot

Reply #267292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Flinders80 - Darren Ng can not be our first preference as a SG. His output for such a position is too little.

In 22 mnutes per game this season he has averaged only 8.6 points - his career average is only 7.8 points. He averages less than 1 foul shot per game and shoots at <80%. Assists are 1.7 per game and over his career Assists v Turnovers is basically in balance. His defence in the past has been questionnable although I admit it appears to have improved a little. Based on his points per minute average for the current year if we extrapolated that out for the whole team we would be scoring at less than 80 points per game.

He can not be our main man at this position - sure use him as impact value but even in that role I believe we have other options.

Reply #267296 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With Anstey's impending retirement at the Tigers, I cannot see Daniel Johnson leaving. But then again, stranger things can happen.

I would think that the 36ers should be looking at recruiting senior centre Ben Allen from Saint Mary's College in the US. He can score and has range all the way to the three-point line, rebound, and is an excellent passer. He would be a great fit IMO and is a great team oriented guy.

Daniel Ng is not a starting SG in the NBL. He is a great pinch hitting perimeter scoring weapon off the bench. the 6ers need to find a starter...

I cannot see how the 36ers or the fans could entertain the though of welcoming Hiodge back into the team. Need to keep looking for someone else.

Reply #267302 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"SF- Hodge. What happened with hodge was with the last management so lets all put it behind us so we can win."

Did you see Hodge's antics earlier this season? You've gotta be kidding. The only difference between Hodge and thousands of other athletic swingmen is that he's an immature nob who's been shot! We can definitely find a better import who will respect the club.

"C- Bring back the ranger Lukey back. Burston is a waste of space and we wouldve had Luke this year if we hadn't signed Burston too early."

Tough call that one. Burston is definitely NOT a waste of space. The question is, do you want a guy with dominant size that doesn't use it properly or a mobile, hard worker who seems to get injured a lot?

I'd be happy with either Schensch or Matty, but if we could sign Schensch to a multi-year deal and build around him then I'd probably go that direction.

"9th- Mottram"

I don't think we want to recycle this guy. He had his chance and couldn't stay on the floor. We have to try harder to unearth a young guy we can develop in this slot.

"Coach- Ian Stacker"

I think he deserves consideration, without a doubt. I'd still love to see SOS bring in another Dunlap though. Don't know if its realistic money wise anymore, but the guy was hungry, had a plan and built a team that contended for two years before bigger and better things called him back to the US.

Actually, I'd be very interested to hear what Maher thinks about Dunlap, Monson, Shipway, etc. Which coach helped him develop his game the most in his formative NBL years? We need the kind of guy who helped set Maher on the road to NBL stardom!

Reply #267305 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Always something happening with Hodge around
or even when he doesn't turn up.
Someone that could start SF or PG might be handy.
On the court - Hodges NBL average is top scorer in a narrow team loss, with off court antics.
And that would be ongoing.
While of Burdon Davidson Under23 and the like as back up PG - Cortez Groves would be better.

Reply #267314 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Also, Aaron Bruce should be available next season also...if Crosswell also retires at the Tigers, their PG will open up as well. Should the 6ers look at him also?

Reply #267318 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well, there's one thing all punters agree on, Tez won't be in the team

Reply #267330 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

Burston is ALOT better than Schenscher!

can schenscher jump? i'm sure i have never seen daylight under his size 16's

Reply #267350 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Get Aaron Bruce back i reckon and big shensch

C - Shenscher
PF - Ballinger
SF - Import
SG - Import
PG - Bruce

6 - Holmes
7 - Ng
8 - Herbert
9 - Cooper
10 - Meh

Get an import who can throw it down with style to get the crowd hyped aswell

Reply #267352 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I had Brucie in my last team but apparently he's done for good :(

"The masses would be fine with it; can't say the same for the more "ravenous" sixers fans."

I would find it very hard to support a team with that wanker in it and I'd probably boo him all year. But I don't know why we're even discussing it. Even if the club had no previous affiliation with him I wouldn't take that cancer. It's not happening. Hurts my head to even think of that prospect.

"Go after Toovey, great player who can shoot the outside shot"

If you're talking about Cam Tovey, no, he's probably the worst 3pt shooter in the league for a SF/SG (and doesn't give us much more than local boy Brad Hill anyway). If you're talking about Alan Toovey, no Collingwood duds thanks.

"Darren Ng can not be our first preference as a SG. His output for such a position is too little."

I had him starting for about 20-25mins. Could easily switch him with Herbert to start, either or. We only get 2 imports remember and Tovey/Abercrombie are not big improvements as starters.

LC, Allen sounds perfect. I've seen a few St.Mary's games this year but haven't really noticed him behind the big 20&10 guy. Who's that blonde SF/PF Aussie on the team? Any chance at NBL? He was great when I saw him, got interviewed after and everything.

Reply #267368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke was offered a contract for season 09/10 but he and his agent wanted to pursue playing overseas and were hoping something would come from the USA summer season which was looking good until he injured his back, they also wanted to have several out clauses which would have meant he could up and left us at any time during the season and everyone here would have really gone beserk at the owners if that had happened.
It was much better to have Matty and know he was going to stay for the whole season.

Reply #267370 | Report this post

Gravity Man  
Years ago

New Coach .....Alan Black or Ian stacker

Team

Ballinger
Import
Import
Schenscher
Herbert

Ng
College player
Hill
Burston
Burdon

We need two imports like Gold Coast
Point Guard and Small Forward

Goodbye Groves and Gilly

Dont bring back Hodge ,he will be molested even in adelaide uniform

Reply #267378 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Baller#3 I reckon you've got it except Aaron Bruce is not available. As for SG who can throw it down and give us a Mr.Clutch, I know for a fact that Willie Farley wants nothing more than to "Rock The Dome Again" as he put it to me today. Yes he's a little older, but with such a young team wasn't it leadership that we lacked and someone to take the big shots? Oh yeah he still has game! Atleast worth a phone call from SOS, he'd be willing to come cheap.

Reply #267388 | Report this post

tyler smith for a 4 spot

Reply #267389 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

XztatiK - I really do think Ben Allen would be a perfect fit for the 6ers. He is the consumate team player and would be the glue that binds everything together and will do whatever it is required to ensure his team wins.

As for the "blonde guy" you refer to, that is Clint Steindl. He is really a small forward that graduated from the AIS and is primarily a perimeter scoring threat with a deadly three-point shot. This is only his Sophomore year (2nd year player) and he has been promoted to the starting 5 this season due to the season ending injury to senior Wayne Hunter. He has grasped the opportunity presented to him with aplomb and has become a very important piece of the SMC puzzle. Her has 2 more years of college ball ahead of him yet in which time he should continue to be a starter and be well prepared to be a very good NBL player. An opportunity to play in Europe may also prove enticing for him once he graduates.

Reply #267397 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Willie Farley still plays basketball? I am surprised to see that he would only be turning 35 in the middle of this year.

I would have a 28 year old Willie back in a heartbeat. But he had lost a step by the age of 32, so I doubt he has found his game again somewhere along the line.

Reply #267398 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Willie Farley? Sorry, geriatrics need not apply! We went down that road with Copes, Davidson, etc. Old guys can't stay healthy and can't step up when the young bucks go for another gear.

We need to continue to add mid-20's guys with ability to our core and get a coach who can teach them how to play as a team. Burston and Herbert are two good ones. Lets see if we can add one more talented Aussie this off-season.

Reply #267412 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Bruce if he was single and wanted to take a pay cut and play basketball in aust. But he's got family and business in USA now.

Goorjian - Hodge would interest general sports fans and main stream media. But not the regulars.

Reply #267414 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

LC, I think you have Clint Steindel mixed up with Mitchell Young. Clint as brown hair and Mitchell is the young blonde Aussie who looks like a surfer dude

Reply #267446 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Beantown, Copes and Davidson were two of our most solid players in recent years, and I don't think had any trouble stepping up when required.

Reply #267453 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gilly will stay here to do all his recovery.
Speaking on radio just then - said he considered the same op the footy player had for only 6 weeks recovery, or the 12month recovery op.
But he had to have 2 ops for 2 injuries.
The first 1 has gone good and already doing some recovery and the next op is about 4 weeks.
Will go home for a quick visit when fit to do that, but is staying here.
With regard to the team - can't recall if he's ever finished rock bottom before, but there's only 8 teams and thought in a close season with the close finishes - that those teams that'd been playing together for a few seasons have/had the advantage.

Reply #267466 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - think you may be right - but the guy I am referring to is Steindl. Mitchell Young plays big and is really athletic with serious hops.

Reply #267467 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah Mitch Young that's it.

Not surprised to hear there's another gun Aussie on that team though.

Any NBL shot for Young?

Reply #267468 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Gazza, Davidson was only 'solid' when he played and Copes was well past it. Don't get me wrong, both were great players in their prime, but those guys were part of a roster that was just marking time because the club was basically broke.

You get old, your legs go and you can't defend good players anymore, so you're a liability. They'd have been 9th or 10th men on our late 90s championship teams, not starters as they often were on the mid-2000's teams.

Man, what I wouldn't give to see a team like Mee-Maher-Brooks-Cat-Rees again. Those guys were a pleasure to watch.

Reply #267475 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I'll agree with Gazza on Davidson and Beantown on Lanard :D

Reply #267476 | Report this post

Sixer Balls  
Years ago

So a successful team like Port Magpies looks like they're going to fold at the end of 2010 and a dud team like the 36ers survive - where is the justice?

Reply #267485 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Sixer Balls - not even going to take the bait.

Beantown - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it was ideal that we had them as some of the most solid players - just saying that they were.

I've got a copy of the championships, and man, we had a whole team of guys who could be relied upon in the dying seconds, would love to have some of that back. Of course, how we were able to pay for all those players was a tad suspect.... ;)

Reply #267488 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

No worries Gaz, I'm seeing your definition of solid and I don't think we really disagree. I was just overplaying the geriatrics card a little because Sixers management was basically in hibernation after the BASA collapse and we watched our team just get older and older. You know your league is in bad shape when Copeland can still get away with playing at age 40 or so!

I pray to the Hoop God that we finally see a team we can feel good about next season!

Reply #267495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Atleast worth a phone call from SOS, he'd be willing to come cheap."

Cortez already used that one.

Reply #267496 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mitchell Young is still raw but after 3 more years at college could be anything...He is firmly entrenched in the SMC rotation off the bench and is getting around 15-18 minutes per game. With Ben Allen graduating after this season, Young is likely to get the starter's power forward berth for next season alongside fellow Aussies Steindl and Dellavedova.

Reply #267502 | Report this post

Sixer Balls  
Years ago

Dear SOS

Take a look across Port Road, the Magpies need your support! A prime investment waiting to happen.

Talk about potential, they already get more column space than your current team and they get more people to some of their home games than your team which is supposedly supported by the whole state!

Utilising a phrase of one of your sports biggest sponsors - Just Do It.

Regards

Reply #267518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Less time trolling, more time out fund raising for the Magpies...

Reply #267530 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct Isaac. The Port game I was at last year had about 1500 and that was including Westies fans (not many I know!). I think SOS should concentrate on basketball.

Reply #267533 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Leave the Maggies out of this.

Reply #267536 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Leave the Magpies out of everything.

Reply #267554 | Report this post

Sixer Balls  
Years ago

(Mod: Go away, griefer.)

Reply #267561 | Report this post

Pull Rees  
Years ago

PG: Import
SG: Ning
SF: >200cm Import
PF: Ballinger
C: Burston

Holmes
Herbert
Burdon

Undecided: Hill (I can imaginine him being a star at another club) & Cooper (if we can't get anyone better)

Reply #267577 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol, I'm sorry I missed that comment Sixer Balls.

Reply #267596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754