Isaac
Years ago

NBL: Crowds up 7%, from 3.34k to 3.56k avg

As the closest competition ever in the National Basketball League draws towards its thrilling climax, some big crowds have been flocking to NBL games in recent weeks, with a season high of almost 7,000 people at a recent Adelaide 36ers home game and the Gold Coast Blaze drawing their second-biggest crowd ever on Friday night.
The NBL is also currently enjoying a 7% increase in average attendance at games over last season. The NBL averaged 3,342 people per game last season but that figure has grown on the back of increased community activity from clubs and a thrilling on-court title race to 3,563 through the end of round 19.

Full story from NBL.com.au

Looks like the Blaze have really improved over the course of the season, probably coinciding with their rise up the ladder?

Can only imagine what 36ers crowds might be like if the team had been winning. The 6,991 for the home game against Townsville is the league's best this season.

Topic #22283 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Its encouraging to see the Sixers still getting good crowds despite a pretty horrible season. Would like to know what they are averaging compared to last season?

Also good news that GC is growing their crowd and that the Wollongong community are getting behind their team. 46% is a massive increase in average crowd.

Not surprised figures for Cairns weren't given, but the absence of figures from Perth and NZ is a worry. Any reason why the article doesn't cover them?

Reply #267411 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth are often selling out, but NZ and Cairns would've been omitted to avoid discussing poor figures.

I'd say there might be questions over accuracy of the data (carrying on from how the league used to report Spirit and Slingers figures) and counting method (tickets sold vs bums on seats), but if those same questions existed in past seasons then a comparison is still useful.

Reply #267415 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

interesting. Ausstadiums shows better numbers per game and they show an increase per game, but mainly because figures from Melbourne and New Zealand are included.

http://linky.com.au/swfo9

Reply #267416 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good to see crowd numbers are up despuite where you get your figures from!

Are the Ausstadiums figures more accurate perhaps?

Reply #267418 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I would prefer to trust ausstadiums - no spin there! My understanding is that the venues themselves submit their crowd numbers to austadiums so suspect it is more valid. AND i suspect if NZ and Melbourne were included then crowd averages would have dropped - melbourne have had a terrible year crowd wise.

Reply #267419 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ have been down this year, not surprisingly, Cairns and Perth have been about the same as previous years.

The one problem with Ausstadiums is they dont get figures for all games. Their figures for New Zealand this year are from one game. Still a good resource though, if not perfect, and they have the NBL on trac for their best full season creowds since Ausstadiums started tracking them.

Reply #267422 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Out of interest, Melbourne's crowds are well up on last year, which was a poor year for them.

Reply #267425 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

A better resource than the NBL, where the GM walks on the floor at half time....looks around the crowd....goes to the stats bench .... pulls a number out of his/her arse... and then submits it to the league!!!

At least, from what I know the Austadiums numbers are independently submitted by the venues themselves. And sorry all, i thought Tigers numbers were not there, probaly because early in the season they were not - looks like they have all been updated.

Reply #267433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Around 10 years ago, I think this is how the 36ers used to do it (look around the crowd and guess).

Reply #267435 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

10 years ago they could have counted the empty seats quite quickly I would think

Reply #267438 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

No way there was more then 6,000 at the last 36ers game. Big time number padding I believe.

Reply #267449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As has already been pointed out the SOS are announcing crowd figures as total tickets not total amount of people in the stadium.

That alone could explain NBL crowd figures being higher than previous years. Number can tell you anything you want them to.

Reply #267452 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Paul, well up(only a few hundred) on a stadium that sits only 3500, is an utter disgrace for what is the biggest market in the country. The NBL should have never allowed the tigers to play in that shameful stadium.

Reply #267457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it very difficult to see how the "Julius Hodge homecoming game" earlier this season when the 36ers still looked like a playoff team can pull only 5,900+ yet last week against Townsville they supposedly get 6,900+ with a 36ers team well out of playoff contention.

It's like the first Cairns game here earlier in the season that supposedly drew 5,000-5,500 but according to attendees was closer to 3,000-3,500.

Reply #267459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believe that the 36ers have been told which reporting method to use by the NBL (e.g., tickets sold vs actual attendees).

Not sure if the last game would've been a strict 6,991, but they did have a lot of above-concourse sales as a result of the double-header. Whatever the real figure was, it was a healthy crowd and easily top 2-3 for the season and in the league.

Reply #267464 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Does anyone have updated numbers on the best AWAY team for pulling crowds - i remember a while ago there was a thread stating the Crocs were trhe worst...

Reply #267465 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Here you go:

1. Melbourne 3,822
2. New Zealand 3,801
3. Townsville 3,710
4. Perth 3,649
5. Wollongong 3,628
6. Gold Coast 3,581
7. Cairns 3,562
8. Adelaide 3,253

I don't have a crowd figure for these four games:

Round 01 - 25/09/2009 GCB-TSV & 26/09/2009 CNS-ADL
Round 19 - 03/02/2010 CNS-PER & 04/02/2010 NZB-WOL

Someone help!

Reply #268155 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

With only 260 people between 1st and 7th there isnt really a trend for oppo teams drawing crowds, and that is consistent with a lack of awareness of the wider league that exists at the moment.

Those stats also have the league average at 3625, which will go up over the playoffs and be at the high end of figures for the past decade, which is a promising sign for what it is worth.

Reply #268172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754