the annebreator
Years ago

referees - age limit for level of game

i know we are very short of referees - but I feel junior refs (u16 years) should not umpire juniors older than themselves

there has been so much intimidation of late by older players and parents on the little kids - I refer to 12-13 yos doing u18s etc and literally cowering when they blow the whistle

the other week i saw a kid so barrated he literally just blew what the crowd yelled after he was worn down in the first half, his confidence was shot - and the result - he has not shown up for games since

if these coaches had a new kid come out at their club - and they spoke to them the same way - the parents would pull them out - but it is ok to go full on a junior refs - and the result the bullies get what they want and the junior ref joins scouts because at least he is wanted

some of these junior coaches need to spend time with Dr Phil or attend Paul arnott's school of coaching etiquite

Topic #2229 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Why should we restrict refs from doing games because of the ludicrous, and almost criminal behaviour of parents and coaches.

I cant wait for the day that a ref decides to sue a parent or coach for the abuse.

Reply #25161 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I guess it could proceed to Court as a criminal matter, but I would personally hate to write the brief, and try and prosecute someone for it. Nightmare!!

Just a question, (and I ask because I don't know), but are there any guidelines or policies in relation to banning people from stadiums due to threatening and intimidating behaviour.

Here in Canberra, if some is caught stealing or any other criminal matter they can be banned for up to 12 months from attending that place, and if they do, it's trespassing. Just wondering if stadiums could do the same thing.

This could open a large can of worms....

Reply #25178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from a players point of view, i would prefer to have some one older that myself, reffing our game.

Reply #25212 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Why does the age of the referee matter??

That would mean people like Phil Haines, Andrew Filmer shouldnt be reffing at NBL level, because a lot of the players are older than themselves.

If a ref is good enough to ref at a certain level, it is only their skills that should matter, not how old they are.

Not to mention it is actually illegal to discriminate on the basis of age.

Reply #25213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Psst: "I feel junior refs should not umpire juniors older than themselves". No mention of the NBL and it's referencing a very specific point of intimidation.

I think the suggestion could be that younger refs are rostered on for specific games. Nothing wrong with rostering on an older salesperson in your store for the busier and more difficult shifts.

You were more on track with your first reply to this thread.

Reply #25216 | Report this post

i get around  
Years ago

yogs,

what he is on about is junior 11-12 yo's doing u16 u18 u20 div 1 type games

by the time they are young adults 17-18 yo - anything is fine

not age related in the adult world - just enough time to get soem life experience and thicker hide.

it just leaves a bad vibe when an 11 yo girl runs off crying at an u14/16 game because a question was asked - not even stood over by parents or coaches - everyone feels bad - because they could not cope - head ref was aware - but it was too late after the game - hence they should not be routinely rostered to older kids - unless they want to / can handle it

if that was the case yogee - who would referee melbournes nbl team - ? noah

Reply #25217 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

I have a question regarding the matter of the umpire harrassment from parents/coaches/players..where is their umpire in charge and what happened to zero tolerance?
If a junior proves to be a good umpire then the challenge of umpiring a higher grade may help them along, but they need to be looked after by those senior umpires that should be rostered on the game with them. And yes, I have known of adults being ejected from the stadium because of this sort of behaviour. Give the kids a go but please don't send them out there without a senior partner.

Reply #25238 | Report this post

TDG  
Years ago

I believe that no player has a right to continually ask questions of a referee - no coach has the right to continually ask questions of a referee and no parent continually has that right. The only rights a player has is to play, the only right the coach has is to coach and the only right the parent has is to support their kid and watch the game.... the sooner smart ass, narrow minded people in this state realise what they're doing to basketball in this state by continually feeling like they have a right to be asking question after question and calling foul, travel, 3 seconds all the time (and doing much worse than this aswell) the better off basketball in this state will be! It takes the right people in the right position to have the balls to draw the line in the sand. When I started in basketball you didn't get a real chance to say much... and if you did you were lucky or... you had to be as nice as pie!!! Why all of a sundden in this day and age has that changed ??? Crap behaviour turns everyone away from the game and the fact that you can get away with anything, because when you get reported you barely ever get suspended or you can easily get the suspension lifted or reduced - what support does that give and what line in the sand is drawn ??? This goes for any level of the game in my eyes !!

Reply #25290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont ou guys realise that some of the 12-13 year old refs are a lot better than some of the older ones. Age shouldnt matter what so ever. If these kids arent good enough to do these games the UIC wouldnt of put them on the games. Even if there is a referee shortage

Reply #25301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say let them all wear ear plugs until they become efficient at their craft, thus not being put off by the continual questioning.
Accepted that some under age refs are better than the older ones but dont you think this is where accessment and grading of refs should be put in place properly.
ie should not come off saturday morning reffing until very proficent.
I know last friday night one lad reffed at wayville on a team that he trains with (he being in the lower div).
1)He didnt have his co team respect especially when he tells them how to play and what they did wrong ( all they are seeing is a lower div team training guy who cant cop the grade telling them how to play)
2)He should have never been placed in the position to ref this game.
It is all very well that we have reffing shortages but wiser choices in rostering would go a long way in helping these kids get better, and instead of uic sitting on their arses and telling us its because of player/parent/coaches abuse, do your job and get out on the court and help out, not telling them at breaks etc what they are doing right or wrong because that aint changing anything.

Reply #25309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok bonzo if the uic is on court and then not available to handle disputes, help out with difficult situations, round up refs for next match then what happens

Reply #25320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets try it and see!!!!
Rounding up ref for next matches please!!!!! if rostered dont have to be rounded up during the course of the evening, should already be done and it is simply a matter of turning up on time (committment and responsiblity when you say you will do a job)
As for settling disputes please they are not rushed off their feet and is simple as sending a team manager to make contact with them,
They should be still be supanumary so can leave one court to go to another at any time,but still have more hands on then sitting back like most of the do!!!

Reply #25324 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

Age is not the problem.

Ability/experience/attitude/aptitude - these are more important than age.

Communication - a life skill. Continually developing from the moment you're born till the day you die. Please do not expect a young person to have the same skill levels at communicating their ideas as what you (an adult/parent) do.

We live, we learn.

Reply #25351 | Report this post

JUST ME  
Years ago

when are you going to get an able body uic at mars because im sick and tired of him umpiring games that he clearly cant keep up with

Reply #25368 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

You can give up court speed for experience and feel for the game.

This is the opposite of the 'too young' arguement.

You need everyone who's willing to help you play the game you love.

Reply #25382 | Report this post

Patrick Shaw  
Two years ago

To the person who said "give them some earplugs" I have just one question for you. What if that was you or someone that you know that gets that abusive treatment would you still be saying that comment? I am referee myself and sometimes you just can't ignore the comments that are made by spectators, coaches, players and the people operating the score bench (coaches and players don’t become as a shove as the spectators as often) and when we can’t ignore we can’t always immediately penalise them, sometimes there isn’t even a chance to warn them so maybe instead of giving them ear plugs how about the people who would have a biased view of things such as coaches and players just ask the referee for an explanation and the spectators just not yell anything abusive towards a referee, a player and a coach

Reply #884681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Thanks Patrick Shaw for reviving a long dead thread, that is well an truly dead for a reason.

Reply #884704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Some old school Hoops heads in this thread though, Arnie, Wieland, yogee. Love it.

Reply #884716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:50 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754