fickle pickle
Years ago

Wooden Spoon

have we just stitched up first wooden spoon for the club - disappointing finish to the season if the case and to hard working SOS
lets get out to last game and show SOS we support through thick and thin
going to be interested off season - much sole searching needed

Topic #22298 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

I was just starting said thread, but cancelled as it was to depressing.

Cheers to Townsville for being respectfull after the win. Classy. (And I LOVED Homicide's interview).

Wooden spoon is stiched. As a life time 36ers fan, I'm slightly gutted, but it was expected.

I'll be in Apollo for dinner and courtside Sat like always, regardless. Still - this is a rather dark day for a proud club.

Very hard to swallow.

Reply #267579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as long as we spit that said spoon back at them next year

Reply #267580 | Report this post

fickle pickle  
Years ago

very hard to swallow but lets hope we cvanstivck it up a few next season - cant wait
going to long anticapated wait
how soon do you think before we see signs of change
thankfully reckon got most off court structures in place - improvements to ticketing promotion car parking food concesions game night promotions murray magpie even court announcers music man love you skip floor wipers although please update those crappy mops - noah ark vintage -
the scotsman my favourite

Reply #267584 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

You're drinking harder than I am to cope with the loss, aren't you?

Reply #267585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we beat Wollongong and cairns lose we will b 7th

Reply #267587 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

.well at least l got to watch a team that plays as a team and not players who play for self glory . well done crocs what a great display of team work l hope ninnis was watching and learnt somethings. l think we should all go to the last game to say goodbye to this season and thank the SOS team for the great work in not only keeping the 6ers alive but giving the nbl a fan base not matched in any other state to all fans of the 36ers great .putting all the other shit aside what a great bunch you all are .the stand out thing about this season was the HODGE IS A WANKER CHANT.go 36ers lets start planning for next season

Reply #267588 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

If I'm asked to sell our family cow and someone gives me magic beans on the way to the market, I might wind up with a beanstalk and a kick ass giant adventure in the clouds.

Reply #267589 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Damn it! Sarcastic posts don't work when someone posts in between.

I accept my posting failure honorably.

* wooden spoons self samurai style *

Reply #267590 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

Well, I am glad we won and that Gleeson let our development players have a run. To the 36ers, it was a good game and I hope you have a good win against the Hawks on Sat night. Thank you DJ ROD for playing my " 3 mins before game song ". Thanks 36ers c ya next season

Reply #267591 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Molitor - 3 Points and a huge foul were the highlights for my night....

Reply #267594 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Maybe the cross-promotion with Adelaide United wasn't that bad of an idea. Double wooden-spooners.

Reply #267597 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Wooden spoon is not stitched up. I believe that if Sixers beat Hawks and Cairns lose both of their games then we finish second to bottom.

Regardless, this isn't the worse Sixers record. That honour goes to Smyth that got a 10-22 season record in a league not as competitive and with more teams!

Reply #267604 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

KJ, the only reason we aren't going to go 10-22 this season is that there are only 28 games.

I do remember that team though, it was a heap of shit. I honestly think this season is worse though.

Gazza, yes, it took 27 games but Molitor finally scored, meaning I won't even have the satisfaction of a historical laugh at his expense to remember this season by.

Oops, better run, I think one of Cortez's jumpshots just landed in my office!

Reply #267609 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

There is NO WAY in hell I am going to concede that we have got the wooden spoon until Cairns beat NZL or we lose to the Hawks on saturday.

After last nights performance its looking unlikely but if the fans dont BELIEVE how can we expect the players to BELIEVE?

I BELIEVE WE CAN WIN SECOND TO BOTTOM!!!!!!!!

just like in SEMI-PRO..... Its our 4th place people!

SIXERS vs HAWKS MEGA BOWL THIS SAT NITE!

Reply #267610 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong.....I am so glad that the SOS came along and gave us a team for this season. The problem is that as a product, it was always doomed to fail. We can blame the coach, blame injuries, blame some players, but at the end of the day it is all about the package and that sucked. There will have to be some significant improvements to the package for me to buy our season tickets for our thirteenth straight season!

Reply #267617 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

So many positive messages then along comes Spinner. Losing sucks but there is no way in hell I am jumping off after the first season the club was saved, claim all the product crap you like but if after 13 years you jump off hiding behind that to make you feel better good luck to you.

Maybe some would have us believe we threw that game as well to help Townsville make the finals.

The whole season has been incredible, with the late purchase but at least it got through, and everything else that has come the clubs way on and off the court at least give them time and let them have hope that the greatest supporters in the country are not gonna dump on them now.

Reply #267621 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

I'm getting my gold membership regardless, I dont follow the "product" I follow the TEAM!

At the end of the day i've been entertained WIN/LOSE or draw. I'd prefer a winning season but without support how can they improve?

I believe the SOS did a great job considering they came in last min and am sure they will do what is necessary to take the team forward next season.

eg - sack ninnis, hill & groves

Reply #267622 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

After last nights performance its looking unlikely but if the fans dont BELIEVE how can we expect the players to BELIEVE?

Because we PAY THEM MONEY to win basketball games for our entertainment?

Reply #267625 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

Come on you 36ers supporters. Get behing your team, win or lose, they ARE your team.

Reply #267626 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I guess I deserved that and I agree that my final line was pathetic, but what I am trying to express is that as fans surely acknowledge, when we go to support our team, if we lose it has to be because the other team outplayed us.

The league puts a number of rules in place designed to have an even playing field. Doesn't always work, but we can't do anything about cheats. What does hurt is when we see the same mistakes, the same poor decisions being made on the court, on the bench and administratively.

We are paying to support our team and lets be honest, it is a product and although the SOS may be passionate about the Sixers, they aren't in it to donate their money and time. Nor are we supporters. It must be obvious to everybody that the better the product the more people want it. Crowd number would be minimum 6,000 every week if the team was in the top two or three. Fans love the team, love the game, but also love to win. That’s human!

Lets not be so naive to think that 6,000 are going to turn up to a game just because they are committed Sixers’ fans!! Look at last year when Hodge was getting Sixer fans excited and that game he didn’t turn up the place was rocking with people to see him star for the Sixers. We all have our views about him now, but at the time he was getting people excited. That’s product.

Does the fact that only 8,300 turn up to the one dayer in Adelaide mean that people don’t want to support Australia in cricket? No, it means that the product is failing and people now want different things.

Off course I will buy my tickets next year.....but surely I am entitled to be a little disappointed with the last three seasons in particular!!!!!

Reply #267628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Spinner is almost speaking for the occasional fans that get involved when they think the entertainment is there and the price is right. Not everyone is a "no matter what" fan and the club needs all kinds to build the crowds and try to get the club stable and profitable.

It's been a brutal season with the late change of ownership, the Fuss issue, injuries, late-game fades, owners learning some things on the job, change in ticketing agent and many more things. Considering what's gone down, the level of support has been pretty good. And I'm sure we can expect changes and more attempts at improvement to both reward the faithful and bring back those looking for value for their entertainment money.

Reply #267629 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The ole days are gone forever, only echoes of a past hero, now going wild! Grabbing an innocent player, in frustration at not being able to do what he used to.

A battle goes on between the 'purists' and 'popularizes'
Disorder on the court with coaches not generally strong on defence or communication.

Reply #267631 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

Welcome back Spinner, I agree that we hate to lose I am just a big believer in trusting the system and as pointed out SOS like supporters don't just want to donate their money.
As Isaac pointed out and I started to say with so much going on outside of basketball I have to trust and belive they will learn and want it better as much as we do and will make the decisions to do so. If we don't believe that what have we got left.

Reply #267644 | Report this post

Maurice  
Years ago

"I'm getting my gold membership regardless, I dont follow the "product" I follow the TEAM!"

Hear, Hear. Will be there too, regardless.

Reply #267650 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Must say, even with the late start, the overall 'product' put together by SOS was better than the last few years of the BASA collapse or the Hemmerling/Groves collapse, save for on court, where there was no improvement or a marginal falling away.

Reply #267654 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Whatever happened to those little basketballs because
hereschenes deserves one. Great stuff.

Reply #267715 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

No he doesn't we pay to watch basketball for our entertainment, people should stop thinking we own them because we pay to watch them. We pay to support our team and hope like hell they do well.

If you go to the movies all the time well after watching a few shit ones you don't own the cinema or the director but i guess EC after your last pathetic thread about throwing games this goes against that to.

We pay them to win but you want to help woollongong make your mind up or are you just looking for friends again!

Reply #267748 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

hehehe - cop that!

AS for the 'product' v the 'team' there will always be people who go to the game no matter what. Thats great and every club needs these die hards. But its the casual fans that really make the difference at the end of the year when you look at the clubs bottom line.
How do you get these fans to turn up more often than not...win. Perfect example is the Blaze this year. We start off with buggerall season member and ordinary crowds. All of a sudden we start performing well and the community want sto be involved and all of a sudden its record crowds. IF (and yes its a massive if after last night) we make the finals we will have a sell out - no doubt about it!

The Sixers are IMO in an awesome position, you can still pull 6k to a game with a team on the bottom of the ladder!!! Look out when all the pieces of the puzzle are in place!
This "baseload support" will allow the SOS guys some breathing space and mean they wont be forced to make knee jerk reactions and huge changes. They can just go about their business and keep improving things bit by bit and sticking to their plan. As long as the club sticks to their plan and is seen to be moving in the right direction I think there will be some great times ahead.

Reply #267753 | Report this post

bball fan  
Years ago

well deserved spoon for sa

Reply #267766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go Crocs

Reply #267767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go hawks

Reply #267811 | Report this post

Nard Dog  
Years ago

Go you Panthers!

Reply #267948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754