Isaac
Years ago

Sturt men and women beat Eastern

Wins to Sturt for both the men and women.

The women were convincing winners by 30+ I think.

The men gave up an early start to the Mavs, but came back and held a fairly stable 10-20 point lead for the rest of the game. Won by close to 20. Playing well for Sturt were Forman (23 points on 10 of 23 shooting and 15(?) or so rebounds), Gower (19 points on 8 of 20, and a lot of strong boards). Ng was 3 of 17 but started very well and shot 8 of 8 from the stripe. Paul Bauer nailed some long bombs and played well. Shepherd was good. Benson under his best.

For Eastern, Brad Davis was in top gear. Brad Bungey, despite always looking so sour (lighten up!), is very promising, and had 11 and 14 (I think). Joel Goodenough was very quick and had a good match-up against Shepherd.

Tempers flared at a few points: Davis unsportsmanlike against a Sabre for grabbing him on the break, Gower and Bungey got a double foul for shoving each other, and Forman got an unsportsmanlike for pushing a Mav to the ground after being held under the basket. Looked like it could've become worse at a few times, but stayed under control for the most part.

Eastern seemed one good player short of making a more solid run for the lead. Brad Hill, for example, would've made it a very tight game if he were playing.

Bungey is going to have a good season. And Brad Davis is already the Mavs MVP -- worked around the Sabres defense with ease all too often.

The key point was probably the end of the third I think. Mavs had made a run and were drawing close. Then Forman hit a three and within a few seconds, Bauer had hit another; the lead pushed out by 6 very quickly.

Only one dunk in the game -- Oscar's decent tip dunk in the first quarter.

I think there's going to be a Todd Gower vs the entire Eastern Mavericks fan base rivalry for the rest of time...

Topic #2234 | Report this topic

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Eyes - nice review of the mens game, any more info on the womens tho???

Reply #25266 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think they won 63-38. I only caught the last quarter and it looked well and truly over by then.

Sabres were putting up outside shots but I only saw one fall. from the corner. The tall girl from the Mavs was still going hard for boards (is that Cayla Francis?).

The Advertiser had a small report on it. I think, from memory, that the scoring was evenly spread for the Sabres -- 9 to Laura Summerton and Brigid Bowley. Not sure of the rest.

Reply #25315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754