mystro
Years ago

Who should win NBL MVP?

Despite his injury at the start of the year I believe his form through the rest of the season puts up a good argument for back to back awards for Penney. There was his 49 point game and he has again lead the league for scoring and taken player of the week twice in recent weeks. Those reasons along with the Breakers string of victories lead by Penney should at least put him in the mix.
Corey Williams would be my other pick for league MVP

thoughts?

Topic #22346 | Report this topic

KEVY47  
Years ago

I'll say Homicide.

What about: www.timmy4roy.com

Reply #268114 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My pick is Corey Williams also...

Reply #268115 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Leaning towards Homicide

Reply #268118 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

mystro, I think it goes by votes from games and because penney has missed quite a few I doubt he would win

Reply #268120 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Homicide

Reply #268122 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Yeah my moneys on Homicide.

Reply #268125 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

they shouldnt have one this year

Reply #268127 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Why not DJ rod?

Reply #268128 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Homicide for me and Wagstaff for ROY!

Reply #268135 | Report this post

E  
Years ago

i think Brad Hill!

Reply #268138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide has a few no shows to really take out the award. But then who else? Maybe Gibson? Rickert quiet last month.
Penney had a poor patch after returning from injury, then finished with a rush.
Redhage inconsistent.
Mckee hasn't played enough games. Probably ahead of Penney if games played don't count.

Reply #268139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahah gibson ahead of homocide hahah

Reply #268142 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Not being silly here, but if it goes on votes from games Ballinger would be in the mix. Had enough big games to poll well, and like a few people have said, other contenders have also been fairly inconsistent. I'd hate to see an MVP from the wooden spooners though

Reply #268148 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree with DJ Rod's sentiments. The past two seasons have seen such an increase in the depth of teams that is had been hard for any individuals to stand out, and there have certainly been no clear MVP performances in either season.

Penney was MVP last year and yet Bruton was the most important player for the Breakers.

But I think this year, because of the per game format, Williams, Redhage, Ballinger and Worthington all have a shot. Ubaka and Petrie could be outside chances although they have missed a few. No one I have mentioned had anything close to an 'MVP year' though.

Reply #268150 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Molitor would be in with some chance.
Seriously though, I would not mind Worthington winning. That guy is an example to us blokes of how you play the game and how tough you have to be.

Reply #268151 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Worthington has mad game and changed my opinion of him personally with how he handled the "hodge" incident

Reply #268154 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wortho shot 39% from the field, 33% from deep, and had more turnovers than assists this year. He had some mad games this year (especially against Adelaide), but he didnt have mad game!!

To be honest, it was a similar situation with Wortho and Bruton this year, they both missed pre-season and then were asked to carry too much of a load too early and their bodies wore down.

Bruton probably covered it better than Wortho, but he is 8 years older with a lot more experience. I think both players will be a hell of a lot better next year if they can enter the season fit.

Reply #268171 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Penney & McKee (i'm also gunna through Anstey in there) are by far the 2 (3) best players in the NBL.

They will not win the MVP becuase of injury! AND Hodge didn't play enough games

Homicide, Ballinger, Redhage, Gibson, all had good years not great years... so to give one of those awards doesn't seem right to me.

It's just my feeling.

Reply #268178 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Homicide by a fair way due to injuries.

Redhage and Balls 2nd and 3rd.

Did someone really say Gibson? Really?

Reply #268193 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In his last 10 games McKee scored 16ppg at 41% fg and 30% 3pfg, and 3 turnovers, worst in the league. He is a very good player but I am not convinced that he is the best player in the league.

It seemed his output dropped considerably once teams had scouted him, and further to that his team didnt drop off massively when he went down. Look at how badly NZ were without Bruton or Melbourne without Anstey. There are other factors no doubt, but the very best players are really noticed when they are not there.

Reply #268208 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Homicide Williams.

He's played majority if not the whole season and been very consistent.

Penny did well, but injuries have cost him.
Wortho is another top contender.

But at the end of the day Homicide should win.

Reply #268213 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

Mat "Corporate" Campbell. Without him the hawks wouldnt even be around this year. thats a pretty valuable contribution

Reply #268215 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"and 3 turnovers, worst in the league."

Whoa there! Let's not forget that guy who averaged 4.6 turnovers. 4.6!!! I know! It's astounding!

Reply #268216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one real standout player this season but I'll go with Homicide. I thought it was McKee's award until he went down.

Reply #268217 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's true Xz, but Hodge hadnt committed enough turnovers and that stage to qualify for the league's table! Just as well, he was going at 6 per game back then!!

Reply #268233 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No love for Gilly? I think he would have grabbed a lot of votes early in the year, and only missed 3 games I think?

Reply #268239 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nah no love for Gilly

Consensus seems to be Homicide, I can live with that. He has been consistent and Townsville would not be where they are without him.

Reply #268310 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754