Tmq
Years ago

Aaron Bruce takes a shot at the 36ers

I notice his latest Facebook staus says. 'Aaron Bruce thinks it's funny the "36'ers" rode a 5 game strech of beat downs to the wooden spoon after going to the playoffs year ago... Must have made some great decisions in the off-season. Keep up the good work brains trust'

Also, Joe Ingles finds it hilarious

I always thought it was Aaron that wanted out of the team, but maybe that wasn't the case.

Topic #22354 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

that is hilarious!

Reply #268224 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

He is just butt hurt cos he wasn't the centre of attention like he was at Baylor.

Reply #268231 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the Sixers chases Aaron after last season. He went back to the states and wasn't answering any calls - they even tried a last resort of contacting him through facebook with still no response.

Reply #268236 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Sixers werent prepared to offer anywhere the money Aaron Bruce thought he was worth. Funny though, his phone wasnt exactly ringing off the hook with offers from other NBL clubs.

Reply #268238 | Report this post

Europa 49  
Years ago

I got to know him personally last year and the guy is a complete tool.

Bruce wasn't impressed with all the hoopla of Mahersy's last year and thought the attention should have been on him returning from the US to lead the club.

He would also do a few quick biceps curls before running out each game to make sure is guns looked good.

Self absorbed and IMO not a team player. Only passed the ball when he could perform a flashy pass to make himself look good.

BTW, isn't he the guy who said in his first video interview with Boti that he was 'here for the long haul'?

Reply #268245 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

I liked Aarons game last year, particularly as the year went on and was disappointed to see him go. I thought he would have been a better pick than a couple in the team. Still if he's a bit self absorbed on court, that's a problem, I didn't see that much of it last year, I've seen a huge amount of it this year with a few players.

Reply #268246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europa 49 what a load of crap!

Reply #268248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not worth 170000 or so he was getting. just bitter and delighting in pain of the players that stuck with the team. and jingles shows his lack of class again. he's a twit.

Reply #268249 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Raytri, that's interesting that you were more impressed with Bruce's game as the season went on last year. I was thoroughly impressed with him in the first month of the season and then I felt his performances went down in fairly consistent manner for the reason of the season. By the end of the season he was, a lot of the time, quite cringe worthy on the court in my opinion.

Reply #268253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brucey carried you guys, for a rookie, he was bloody great.. SA people love to bitch and cry about anything and everything..

Reply #268255 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I wish he was running the point this year. Gilly at the 2. Would have been a good backcourt.

Reply #268256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europa 49 your a douche! i kno AB and he respected brett maher more than anyone in the team. Bicep curls before the game? got 2 be kidding ha loser!

Reply #268257 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

I thought that not keeping Bruce was one of our biggest mistakes of the offseason. Could have been a great long term player for us.

Reply #268263 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

DB5 got it right. Bruce was the quintessential PG the Sixers have needed for quite some time.

Would have been great having him and Gilly in the backcourt. Bruce would have got more from Gilly and Balls if he was running things.

Would be nice if the club could put together enough funds to get him back for another year at least; but as per usual the wonders of "behind the scenes" politics and stereotyping from Anonymous posts tends to hamper that.

Bruce has might vote hands down to come back to Adelaide if it's possible.

Reply #268266 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I thought Bruce was a keeper, but not at any price. If he thinks he is too good for the Sixers and for this league, good riddance.

Bruce was a promising young guard, who could over his career have developed into a superstar. But at the moment 'promising rookie' is the only salary he should have commanded after a highly inconsistent year.

I think it strange he was jaded with the Sixers, I felt he got a pretty good run last year.

Reply #268270 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Well said XY.

Reply #268277 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When Goorjian took a shot that time at less-than-proven college graduates demanding $200k, word is that Bruce is who he was referencing. And somehow, I believe he got something close to that from the 36ers in the Groves-funded year.

Did pretty well, but a bit over-priced for his output. Would he be a starter on a championship team? If not, he'd need to play for bench/6th-man salary and I don't think that interested him.

Reply #268280 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

I had a good friend who spoke with Aaron the other week, and the 6ers never wanted him for 09/10. He had a 2 year contract and after Mel left for greener pastures, SOS decided he didnt fit the team.

If I was coach, he'd be in my team however the powers to be seem to know it all.

The backcourt was dysfunctional this season as to last year when we made the finals, albeit we lost but nevertheless, he was a good contributor unlike Cortez and JG.

Reply #268283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

completely inaccurate Dave

Reply #268285 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Bruce sucked against quality players good against average guys,and ingles is an anorexic tosser who for no reason hates the sixers.

Reply #268286 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Bruce sucked against quality players good against average guys,and ingles is an anorexic tosser who for no reason hates the sixers.

Reply #268287 | Report this post

Kman 4 Pres  
Years ago

Kman, you are so insightful, please tell us more! Twat

Reply #268290 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, Ingles has something of a beef against the club in the past, but I'm not sure why it would carry over against new administration, coaches and players and certainly not to the point of delighting in their poor result this year.

Reply #268298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, Joe has no beef against the 36ers whatsoever. Kman is just another hater...yawn. The guy wanted to play FOR the 6ers, and like alot of other people, cant believe how bad they went this season.

And as for being anorexic, that body type is what's helping him make some of those big plays he has so far this season in Spain... id say he's eating just right ;) Shallow remarks are what stops these guys from wanting to come home at the end of there careers and play here.

Not sure what the story with bruce was in full, but sounds like he was a bit of a lost cause to the NBL. But $170k, yeah that wasnt going to happen again for him.

Reply #268302 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, happy to be corrected. I'm just going by Joe's laughing at Bruce's statement and this Twitter message:

all i got to say DB.. is its a second wooden spoon for half that team...
which struck me as a bit directed (likely at Burston, Herbert and presumably Groves). I'm leaving Holmes out of that as DB's friends with both Jake and Joe.

Bit of schadenfreude is my guess and probably just a bit casual with his remarks sometimes. What Would Maher Do? Haha!

Reply #268315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles has always been a clown and could never really get over not being spoken about on the same level with Newley here. That's because Newley is the superior basketball player.

Bruce was crap and is obviously still hurting after being relesed by the Sixers. Bruce was so good in fact that he lost the starting PG spot to an injury riddled Brad Davidson who was playing his last year of pro basketball. Awesome. I don't think Aaron Bruce is a starting PG at NBL level.

If he were willing to play for a bench player salary in the NBL rather than absolute superstar money than I think there would've been some interest in him.

Reply #268323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are two sides to every story.
For those who bait others into telling their experience with a player then shit on them, shame on you because as if you would know what another person's truth is unless you followed them around everywhere.
Tall poppy syndrome on this site is a shame I've seen a few people here get led blindfolded into that hole then kick them when they are down.

If you don't know then stop taking something that isn't about you and making it about you unless you are jealous of another person's experience with somebody so just STFU.
There are some great people around the game and there are some absolute MFs and not always will it be that obvious to everyone, there are some wolves in sheeps clothing.

Reply #268330 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Didn't we screw up Joe's name and/or position on the contract we offered him? That sort of thing would sh*t me off too - pretty unprofessional.

As for Bruce, I could care less that he left (I personally thought he had little interest in basketball beyond one more season).

Another guy with 'potential' that seemed to think he was an all-star (peeps on here will start naming it Hill Syndrome soon). That siad, I'm also slightly jacked at his classless FB post.

Everyone has a different story and categorically knows everyone else's version is wrong - I'm just saying that was my take on him.

Reply #268331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone has their own take on their own individual experience with someone and it does NOT ever need to meet with another person's approval or perception of how they prefer to believe it happened.
People who demand that others tell their story then shoot other people in the back for doing so should be shot.

There are players who are disliked by many eg Ingles, Heal etc and some of those might be personal experience directly with them or just blanket talking on other peoples assumptions without having had anything to do with them and then there are players out there many people may not know, know about or seem nice who can be utter horrorheads so unless you have experienced something with a player you never have the right to say it did or didn't happen that way.

Loco you would be one of the few who has the ability to say that's just my take on it as I said there are people here who viciously attack other posters for their experiences because it goes against their own agendas and that is shit and unsupportive.

Reply #268334 | Report this post

Years ago

There was a 'where is aaron bruce' thread a while back that never yielded an answer, does anyone know what he is doing now?

Reply #268375 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Cheers Anon. And you're right - Bruce might be the nicest guy on earth - I have no idea.

I do remember a couple of great games he had, but the vibe I always got was that he wasn't all the interested in sticking with the Sixers long term. Didn't he have a fiance' over in the States?

Reply #268391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really don't know what he's doing now.
Honestly, I have never met the guy, but having said that, if someone were to post about an encounter they had or know someone who had an experience with him that went sour, I'd be open to the possibility that ok maybe he or player x or y or whoever it is isn't quite what they seem publicly because it happens.
And there are players whether we like to face it or not who "know how to play the game".

Bruce might be the nicest guy on earth, the worst guy on earth, a nice guy who sometimes acts like a tool etc who knows, who can say unequivocally without doubt?
It depends on the individual encounter that somebody has had and if its a repetative thing where people are saying play x or y is an asshole and doesn't treat people right then you have to wonder if there's some truth in that so where there's smoke there's fire as they say- eg with Bradshaw, Vale, Demos and others etc there's some detailed stories out there of people who have had some unfortunate examples of the rotten side of pro sport athletes.

Loco as far as I know he's still in the States and is married now but I'm not sure what he's doing with himself other than playing golf :)
I have not had a good nor bad encounter with him so I can't say either way at this point but I wish him well until proven otherwise.

Reply #268452 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

If Brad Davidson had been running the point this season, 36'ers would

1) have played with pride and guts from day 1

2) would not have lost the same number of games at the crunch end of regulation , with no idea of what to do.

3) Ballinger would have averaged another 4-6 pts per game.

4) Ninnis's coaching would have looked a lot better with Davison doing the on-court thinking.

If Bruce had been running the point - not much different to be honest.

Reply #268761 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Bruce is cver in the US on the amatuer golf tour at the moment and is married to an American girl.

Reply #268823 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Old and grey, you forgot:

5) without their starting point guard for half the season with injuries.

Otherwise, I agree with the sentiment. But for Brad I think he was at that age where his body was telling him something.

Reply #268836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce would of been better running the point then gilly n groves. bruce was looking to past where gilly n groves did there fancy crap then took a shot!!!!!!

Reply #269097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bruce is not the nicest guy on earth...so lets get that straight now, the guy is a complete tool. and anyone that has played with him or against him at a high level will tell you that....
i hope he stays as far away from our league as possible, i am not suprised the arrogant dick asked for that amount he has always had tickets on himself.

Reply #269107 | Report this post

BLAH  
Years ago

Amen

Reply #269416 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754