muchado
Years ago

Metro 18 Girls Schedule

Is a schedule of six days of the week training or playing in these girl's best interest and is it why so many 18's have deserted the SASI program? SASI and state occupy 6 out of 7 days and doesn't take into consideration club trainings or just as importantly year 12 commitments.
April is a long way off and by then a number of girls will no doubt be carrying niggles from the amount of work they have to do. Maybe the coaches need to do a sports medicine course or a common sense one at least.

Topic #22355 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

how do you get 6 days out of 7
state 2 sessions and sasi one - surely thats enough
if adding club trainings well plenty love opportunity at this level - sour grapes is it

Reply #268250 | Report this post

Dione 95  
Years ago

Love how 95% of State/SASI/AIS whinges are about the girls not the boys. Has anyone else noticed that?

I may be wrong but last time I looked the girls and boys SASI/State commitments were identical and not 6 days a week. Thursday, Saturday and Sunday (plus the odd practice game vs ABL teams) do not equal 6 days a week! Correct me if I'm wrong.

My conclusion is that girls parents are more over protective about their little princesses than the boys are!

Reply #268254 | Report this post

Diones lovechild  
Years ago

Dione
Just a sample from this weeks roster for my child.
I am not complaining because it takes a lot to get to the highest level, but there is one glaring omission in this program, can you pick what it is?
And its could be rest..but its not

Su-Club Game AM/ State Training PM
M- State Game(18's)
T- Weights Kidman Park
W- Club training
Th- Sasi-Seymour
Fr- Matches
Sa- State training-Weights

Reply #268271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sat and sun state training x 2hours, mon state game against abl teams, weights tuesday or wed,thursday sasi, friday district games,saturday after state weights plus catch up district. Then comes district club training and whatever senior commitments. Where's the time for year 12 not to mention a ridiculous workload for kids.

Reply #268274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then don't do it! Pretty simple really.

Leave state for those who are willing to make that commitment - it's not like you don't know beforehand what you are in for.

(now time to look at the U/18 girls SASI list to see who the sooky parents may be....)

Reply #268278 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Upside - no time for facebook, boyfriends or MSN - lol

Reply #268291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

278, Many have chosen just that and aren't doing it which is hardly a win for basketball and its image.
I'm not surprised by the stock standard put downs like 'sooky' and 'soft' and boys never complain shite as that seems to be basketball.
If you can get an expert in the field of preventative sports medicine that supports the schedule, and considers it best practice I'll be glad to hear their arguments and change my opinion.
Year 12 is obviously a secondary issue but an important one but not to basketball.
The 21st century should be, I'm told, all about working smarter not longer yet no one has told BSA. The dwindling numbers at SASI at 18's should be a concern to everyone who loves the game and comments suggesting the more you do the better you do, are out of date.
I don't know a parent of a child at SASI who is anything other than supportive of their child and the opportunities that they have but equally I'm sure there are concerns for the welfare of those kids. My experience is that basketball pushes kids too far and expects too much for minor rewards and it has far too many kids continuously injured.
Sadly, basketball is full of cretins like the above poster who ensure our complaints are anonymous for fear of repercussions on the kids.
I wonder how much better basketball would be if it welcomed complaints and concerns and didn't rely on keeping people quiet.

Reply #268293 | Report this post

Juno 94  
Years ago

293, this is not a new phenomenon, the work load has not changed much in the 20 years the ITC program has been running.

Most players navigate this difficult year through effective time management (for the workload and mental side) and sports medicine (eg recovery, injury prevention), and get a good TER in the process as well as becoming better basketballers. I should know I'm one of the people who help them achieve this.

They have great support from their families and coaches both at club, State and at SASI. The one thing they don't do is use their time to whinge in public about how difficult their life is (or have their parents do it for them). This year sets them up to be a professional, if not at basketball then in a "real world" profession.

Your energy would be better served seeking help from the program and its coaches (the very people you are denigrating), who at the end of the day are out there to help your daughter, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Reply #268299 | Report this post

Billy the Kid  
Years ago

Juno, the fact that the work load has not changed much in 20 years does not make it OK and certainly isn't a tick in the programs favor; rather it shows the inability of the people running it to accept there is a problem (that they created) and change the damn thing.

6-7 days a week training for 15-16 year old kids is more than NBL & WNBL players do during a week.

If it was such the loving nurturing caring environment for our kids that you make it out to be we would all be on here heaping praise on the "program" under our real names rather than hiding behind an alias, just as you have done.

I dont know of another program at sasi that insists kids turn up to training when they are injured, and more importantly sick. I know of several programs at sasi that insist sick kids stay away, not the basketball program for some reason.

Reply #268609 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Billy the Kid,

Maybe the Adelaide WNBL team. Considering their result thats not saying much though. But go look at the AIS group and they will be doing 2 and 3 sessions a day with only 1 day off per week.

And if players aren't capable of sustaining that type of training, they will never be great and shouldn't be considered for the likes of National and International competition.

Reply #268612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really.
They are not at the AIS. They are in a mickey mouse adventure park where information is a scarce commodity and in an environment where questions are acts of treason.
What's the crime here?
Some people have asked if 6 days a week training/ playing etc is too much considering age and year 12.

As for WNBL players having a six day commitment to training and playing as you intimate. I'd say for the chicken feed they get paid that amounts to slave labour.

Reply #268616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy solution 616, don't do it! Get out of the way and let someone else have a go. The glass is half empty for you, it's half full for me!

Reply #268620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea 620 but you're pissed.

Reply #268634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

worst.comeback.ever.

Reply #268639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a choice. I know people that go to the gym for 2 or 3 hours a night and thats their choice. They love it. I know people that cycle 500 kms per week, not my thing but they wouldnt have it any other way.

THe interesting thing most of that have been through SASI or State programs and my time was a long time ago go onto extremely successful professional careers be it as a basketballer or 9to5er.

There is nothing wrong with kids having a focus and passion and a commitment and been driven to achieve. Time management is important as is ability to work whilst tired and exhausted and stay motivated. If it gets too much for the individual and they just cannot manage then communicate. Communicate with the coaches at SASI, communicate with the coaches at club. Fact is some kids thrive in this environment and others would prefer more time to themselves and relaxation time. Everyone is different

Reply #268640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, adults have choice. But kids get involved in sporting programs believing the organizations not only have their best interests at heart but also are experts in what they do. Whether or not the SASI/State basketball programs have that expertise might be at the heart of the issue.
It seems every state coach has a different method of getting the best out of players and different attitudes to preparation.Some have suggested the program has been about the same for twenty years and if that's so, results would suggest some innovation is long overdue.
If SASI is the base rung on the ladder of opportunity for kids then that organization should have a better blend of knowledge and practical implementation of build, taper and perform and all state coaches should have basic sports med training if they are going to take charge of a program that insists on a schedule of 6 days a week.
Very little emphasis is placed on the year 12 effect and how such a schedule impacts on a players learning through study time lost, travel time and lack of sleep. A better blend of time management by SASI/State coaches might positively impact on results.
Perhaps with sub elite athletes slightly longer sessions and consecutive days off might freshen the athletes and sharpen them both physically and more importantly mentally. Why don't you ask the sports psychs and sports med experts because you may be surprised to learn that happy athletes perform to their peak while flat, disinterested and bored ones don't.
A couple of years ago many of this group were part of the team that won a silver in Perth and the most notable thing that was spoken about was how well they got on and how bonded and happy they were. The coaches did not expect the results they got and NG fell off off his chair at the results. They didn't train 6 days a week etc and they played their socks off. Contrast this group. Over trained, bored with the restrictions and in their words 'over it'.
I appreciate the time the coaches spend and what they give up to do such a thing as state. I don't criticize their commitment at all but I would love to see some flexibility in the regime that rekindles the spirit the players had. If they can recapture their interest this group may knock Neil off his chair again.

Reply #268643 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

its all a bit of crap , we push these kids for no reason most of them if not all with only fall by the way side burnt out , pissed off ,confused and annoyed with basketball in general.

To much is expected of them from such a young age with little or nothing to show and the end.

Some would say alot, put them in the real world and elite sport has deprived them off so much...

Reply #268646 | Report this post

yyy  
Years ago

If you dont like it dont join it, Yes some may leave but the cream will rise to the top , look at most of the u/20s boys have been all the way through SASI and have come out the other end.. They have made a lot of mates along the way and have alot of respect for one another,Most of these boys now play ABL for there clubs and are doing fine. And you will find most of these boys trained with there club in u/20s, ABL,and state all in the same time and are still alive... I tell you now as hard as the training was at sasi it did not kill them but made them stronger

Reply #268649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

metro girls were named today, anybody have any info on the selection.

Reply #269397 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754