Isaac
Years ago

Auckland Stars suspended from NZ NBL

The Auckland Stars have been suspended from competing in the 2010 national basketball league.

The NBL board has found that the Stars are financially incapable of competing in this year's competition.
Rossiter-Stead says it's not solely about money owed it's also about the sustainability of an organisation and he hopes the Auckland Stars will be able to re-enter the NBL in 2011.

The decision comes on the same day the NBL's announced a three-year naming rights deal with Bartercard, worth over half a million dollars.
Full story: Auckland Stars suspended from NBL

Will this remove competition from the Heat in nabbing local players? Last season, the Stars boasted Blagoj Janev, Hayden Allen, Casey Frank and Dillon Boucher. I think Boucher's crossed over to Harbour for the coming season. Where are Frank and Allen based and what are they up to for 2010?

Topic #22357 | Report this topic

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Purely speculation on my behalf, but Hayden Allen has links to SE QLD - so if he doesn't pick up a decent deal elsewhere in NZ, I reckon he's a great chance to play QBL.

Reply #268342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks for that. He's definitely good enough to get a gig in any league short of the NBL I think - NZ, SEABL, etc. Wish we had a few more visitors to our ABL like Reardon with North, Smylie with Sturt, etc.

Reply #268346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't Wellington run the thing?
Isn't that a tad conflict of interest?

Reply #268349 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

The story is the Stars owe money from last season and NZ NBL didn't want that hanging over new sponsorship deal.
Tab Baldwin has been an absentee owner and the organisation has been underfunded over last couple of years.
This adds to Tab's current woes as he has just been fired from his Turkish team, Kepez.

Reply #268356 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Baldwin is now talking legal action and a potential injunction to prevent the league starting with this season's games: full story here

He's gunning for the top dog of the NZ NBL, busting out "he's not a basketball person" and "not a New Zealander" lines which is probably a bit over the top.

Reply #268435 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Found this article about a past investigation into the Auckland Stars' use of grant money. Makes mention towards the end of a bit of a dispute with Hayden Allen (suiting for the Pistons, getting docked salary for not playing pre-season for the Stars).

Reply #269521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754