Camel 31
Years ago

ABC news report on 36ers Lightning futures

That was Ben Fitz - Groves off the bench if he becomes an aussie.
The review on Coaches and players will be finished next week.

Lightning review - Valk not safe and unlikey to play at the Dome.

Topic #22378 | Report this topic

Sam  
Years ago

Groves won't become an Aussie. It takes at least 4 years now.

Reply #268507 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Been here 6 years - Do you mean 4 years from application or residence?

Reply #268508 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

My mail is the liquidators want the dome vacanted

Reply #268509 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

sorry, my clarify,
My mail is the liquidators are considering all options with respect to the dome's future and it would appear as though the most profitable option for the liquidator in the initial assessment of the asset is if the dome was vacanted and used for another purpose.

I suspect this probably means one of two things,
1. Rents go up
2. Dome's use is changed

Reply #268510 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

How does the offer for the sixers to buy it fit, then.
(vide Ken Cole's offer)
I'd guess the selling price may be a little higher,
due to the above?

Reply #268512 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

What on earth else could it be used for? Roller Derby?

Reply #268519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam, were you his neighbour?

Reply #268520 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

A church would put the place to good use....

Reply #268521 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

plenty of sixers fans been praying for a win/play well all season.......hasnt helped.....so putting a church in its place seems pointless...

Gazza,

Woodlands was made into a storage shed?

Reply #268526 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

RIP Athol Park..

Best stadium ever...

Reply #268529 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more DB5 - still cant believe they got rid of it.

Reply #268530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Athol Park best stadium ever? Are you guys kidding me?

You couldn't hear anything in there!

The roof leaked on all four courts.

The toilets were nowhere near the courts

I never paid to enter the stadium, back door was always open.

The cost of running that dump would have been massive.

Yeah great it had four courts, great it had an elevated club rooms but apart from that it was a horrible place to play and the building was falling apart.

Reply #268536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Groves is going to be re-signed? Clearly Ben Fitz would make a great comedian.

Reply #268538 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If your looking to get silly -
you better read the Cortez Groves comments on here -
Over dribbles Can't dribble Burdon is better Worst Import ever and the like.
Anyways - 'Gilchrist is injured but Groves has been given a repreve. If he becomes an Aussie. Had a disappointing season, by his standard and our standard, but off the bench , - . YES'

(Steve Breheney - 'Lightning to play at Wayville')

Reply #268542 | Report this post

Years ago

banks are ruthless only driven by greed - will sell it could not give a shit what the building / people stood for.
make $ make $

the fact it ended up teh way it did makes you wonder if we should have had it from the word go.

wind the clock back to the bannon government and entertainment centre days and see the way it unfolded.

should have always shared the entertainment centre.

I like the dome and want it to stay for basketball - but liquidators are like my landord - could not give a shit about the tennants - just $$$$ - more the better.

however I do support the dome not being run at a loss.

Reply #268546 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Slight difference in this case is that the "liquidators" do care about the tennants. Without tennants signed to that building, it is worth a fraction of what it is with them. No tennants = no rent = no value.

Reply #268548 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Forestville Court 1 was the best court ever!!

Reply #268552 | Report this post

dj75  
Years ago

Just a thought, but with the tram now running to the ent centre, wouldn't it be a good time to make the move? Might help increase attendances too...

Reply #268553 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

It was always the State Governments preference that the 36ers play at the Entertainment Centre. If you look at the configuration of the Corporate facilities, they are/were set up for basketball/netball type sports. BASA to use the old name wanted their own facilty for several reasons. These included the ability to be not restricted when the venue could be used. (just think of some of the crazy scheduling interstate), catering and parking rights and the resultant income, the cost of a transportable floor and the costs associated with the laying down and dismantling after use, unrestricted home court practise facilities, etc.

The State Government resisted overtures from BASA to help fund a new home for Basketball until the bid for the 1998 Commonwealth Games. The State Government required a mid size facility to hold events that could not be catered for in either the Entertainment Centre or the Festival Theatre. Instantly money/grants/guarantees were available for a "Basketball" facility. However restrictions were placed on venue capacity and on the number of parking spaces, no concerts, etc so it would not compete with the Entertainment Centre for concerts, etc, long the financial cash cow of the Apollo Stadium days. This is perhaps the one big factor that effected the long term viability of the Dome and also BASA. The unwinnable bid was of course lost as everyone other than the State Government knew that Malaysia was going to get the Games due to political reasons, regardless of how superior the SA bid was.

Reply #268556 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ben also spoke on the crowd at the Dome -
10% up. 10% more than any other NBL team. Averaging 5100.

Reply #268559 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Camel 31, Ben is using his own figures, not to mention the amount of freebies on offer this season.

Reply #268560 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Even if he is, the attendance at the Sixers is the best in the league and each game this year I have looked around the stadium and thought "yep, there's another good crowd"

Would love to have another crowd like that at Brett's last game

Reply #268561 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

It was my understanding that the SOS group had first option on 'purchasing' the Dome as part of their rental agreement (admittedly that was with the "owner).
I now wonder what has happened with that option when it comes to the liquidator's?
Are the liquidator's asking for too much for the Dome?
Are the SOS group now reluctant to buy the Dome?
If the Dome is purchased, how much would it then cost to bring the facility up to today's standards - and would it then be worth the cost?
If purchased, can the Dome be utilised for other functions (concerts etc) or would the new owners require Council approval?
Would the Government object to a reclassification of the Dome's usage given the fact that they have just upgraded facilities at the Entertainment Centre?
Many, many questions with the bottom line being "Would it be profitable for "anyone" to purchase the Dome?????

Reply #268565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Number 44, remember that the figures used for comparisons would include similar counting methods and freebies. Also remember that a lot of comps are traded with media partners for promotions.

Reply #268576 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Isaac, I agree. I think it is great they gave away so many freebies as many would of seen basketball for the first time. The SOS need to see this as a 3-5 year plan, not fill the dome every game next year but slowly increase it and eventually they will have the Sold Out signs up.

Reply #268586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when did they give out freebies 44?
all i saw was 241 tickets. not exactly free

Reply #268589 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Things like trades with radio stations and basketball camps. Trades for promotional efforts etc. It'd be something that all clubs do.

Reply #268590 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

#268536 - Athol Park a horrible place to play?? Them's fighting words. Best stadium ever! RIP Athol Park. I'll never forget the shivers going down my spine as I heard the muffled crowd cheering from the car park, on my way in for a district game...

Reply #268597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or the chills as you sat on Court 1 and feeling the breeze from outside due to the multiple holes in the walls.

Reply #268600 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I finished Double Dragon upstairs at Athol Park.

Reply #268607 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

herschenes and statman, thank you both. What a stadium.
thedoctor, you and me both, what great times night in, night out...God I miss that place, and its shitty cafeteria..

anon, the back door bandits are what killed the place..cheers, well done.

Reply #268625 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While only yesterday , The T-Birds said that they, also, won't play any games at the Dome.

Reply #269378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754