Quagmire
Years ago

LeBron = Fragile?

For those who missed the game on ONE yesterday, LBJ had a shot to beat Denver after Carmelo stuck a jumper in his face the previous trip down the court.

He lost his footing, and missed a long three (not by much) and Denver gets a good road win.

LeBron then proceeded to straight-march off the court, seemingly holding back tears....

TEARS.

Now, many the NBA player has shed a tear on the hardwood, but usually after they have won something of note. MJ has, KG has, Randy Brown - all the greats.

But the way LeBron acts after losing makes me think this guy has WAY too much preasure on himself.

Which leads us to the point, can he keep calm when it comes time to win in the playoffs?

Are we going to see him break down mentally before reaching his potential?

Is he too fragile to be the King?

Topic #22385 | Report this topic

jules  
Years ago

I think it shows his greatest assest as apposed to a weakness, his unmatched competitiveness. He seems to be obsessed with doing whatever he can to win, he worked his ass off all game, had a statline that hasn't been done in 35 years and lost on a last second shot in OT. I'd be f$@ked off to the point of tears as well

Reply #268652 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I agree that he is definately driven, but from a psyche stand point, getting upset so quickly after the event makes me think he is not in control of those types of emotions.

What will happen to James if he doesn't win this year, or the next? Or God forbid he gets injured and sits out a couple of years? All of a sudden he is nearly 30 with no rings. Other players deal with that but no other star has EVER had the expectations that LeBron has, and an even bigger key is that its LeBron putting those expectations on himself!

Reply #268653 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Haha well first of all, pump the breaks on those hypotheticals brought on by MAYBE one frustration tear.

He's already dealt with big losses his whole career, in the playoffs and the finals...and he only gets better each time it happens

I think he'll be fine...

Reply #268656 | Report this post

Tripod  
Years ago

There was no tear, simply a grimace at a shot he thought was always going in. Him, along with Wade and Melo all have a bit of a rivalry going on, and for Melo to get him, after having put up some heroic numbers at the Q, wouldve pissed him off. Hence he walked off court ASAP.

Reply #268661 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Does anyone else think Melo could average 40 a game?. He just seems to score so easily and quite often he seems to drift in and out of games. If he doesn't get 40 then 30 and 10 assists is the other option - he finds the open man very well. I'd have a man crush if he was such a child still (he is getting better tho). Future MVP when everyone is sick of voting for LeBron (or will Durant leapfrog him?)

Reply #268668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tripod, no near shed but was definately on the verge of tears. theres no mistaking that look just before someone tears up

Reply #268674 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I thought it was just another example of poor sportsmanship.
He's all smiles and shittalk, dancing and mugging for cameras while things are great, but he misses one shot and loses the first game in a month, and cant suck it up for 30 secs to shake hands and leave the court with class.

Reply #268677 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"But the way LeBron acts after losing makes me think this guy has WAY too much preasure on himself."

Another example of his pathetic sportsmanship. This isnt the first time hes walked away crying without having the balls to congratulate the other team.

Reply #268678 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"All the greats" ... RANDY BROWN?!?!

LOL! Did you do that on purpose Quag?

Reply #268688 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

Lebron crack under pressure? man i dont know how many game winners hes hit as apose to how many hes missed but it would be pretty even.

Reply #268699 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Melvin Corpuscle,

This is the NBA. the teams never shake hands..Why would you expect Lebron to go and shake hands with the opposition when no other player does it.
Occassionally, the players will point to eachother as they leave the court, especially the superstars, but they never shake hands.
And please don't say that not shaking hands is disrespectful or bad sportsmanship...Lebron has alot of respect for the players in the NBA.

If you think what Lebron did was disrespectful than you didn't see the Vandy vs. Kentucky game today did you? Ogilvy missed a potentially game-tying shot and walked straight towards the dressing room without shaking hands (Which is abnormal for the NCAA)

Reply #268715 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

What are you saying Beantown? Randy Brown was G.U.N.
:-)

Walking off without shaking hands doesn't bother me a bit. This is a job.

I just thought that seeing a grown man nearly coming to tears about missing a shot, lends me to beleive that Mr James has beleived too much in his own hype machine and now that his success is sort of leveling out, ie he has perhaps got as good as he'll get, he will eventually go nuts.

KG got a ring despite being psycho, so maybe James will be fine, i just reckon the potenial for an epic meltdown is there.

I used to think he would eventually get a good player next to him and win multiple rings, maybe even challenge MJ's 6 or God forbid Bill's 9, but now i think if he doesn't get one soon..... he gonna crack like a plumbers ass.

Reply #268721 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

"This is the NBA. the teams never shake hands.."

Both LeBron and Bryant have been critised in the American media for not doing it. All games Ive seen, they have and thats quiet a few.

Reply #268726 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Teams/players rarely shake hands in any formal matter other than at the end of a series ala the ECF last season when LeBron stormed off and didn't attend the post game press conference as well.

I have no problem with LeBron being peeved off at losing. I hate losing too. Don't mistake hating losing with that fierce competitiveness that Russel, Jordan, Bryant, Senna, Schumacher et al have where they have to win to feel complete. LeBron lacks that edge.

Kobe Bryant spent last summer working with The Dream to improve his game. LeBron James promoted a documentary. Oh.

Reply #268854 | Report this post

bomblucky  
Years ago

I link Michael Jordan & Rod Old Chicago bull

Protable Basketball Hoop For Sale

Reply #270047 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:01 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754