cheezeburger
Years ago

Warriors: From laughing stock to darkhorses

woodville men have defeated north 91-90 in a tigh and phisical battle.the game was won at the perimeter by woodville.norths big men had no influence at all.reeves and puddifoot shut them out of the game.good games from birmingham,wilson,mckay.mckay hit some big threes all game to keep his team alive but it was game over when mapunda pulled a o-reb and got fouled and his free throws put them up by with 9 seconds to play, before a late mckay three made the margin 1 but it was to late.great win for the young and under strengthed woodville warriors.

Topic #2240 | Report this topic

tipping woes  
Years ago

lucky i was sitting when i read this !

mapunda must be laughing

ps - fellow readers / posters - the treatment for any shocked person is to lie down and elevate the feet

congrats ww

Reply #25226 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

zaneo is something that woodville can hang there hat on for the future. he will be the franchise player for many years to come. wat a game. he would have had close to 20 boards against simon kent and nick hambour. wat a gun. pudds played well, still boarding like a machine, but if he hit more first shots , he would have at least 30 pts a game. today he could have had close to 40pts if he had hit half of his first attempts. but saying that, he still played very well

Reply #25229 | Report this post

tipping woes  
Years ago

yes - zane has a game going on

Reply #25230 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

kent and hambour struggled and had 0 impact on the game.i thought with there extra 5 inches of height they would of done at least something.

Reply #25231 | Report this post

gun dad  
Years ago

never underestimate any club i am affiliated with

Reply #25232 | Report this post

gun dad  
Years ago

yes yogee - let's hear it from the horses mouth - were you doing the stats?

Reply #25234 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

Just think, that this team will be made stronger by round 7 when the new 6 ft 10 import comes in after his stint in denmark. hes is supposed to be in the eric bradley mould.

Reply #25236 | Report this post

Velvet Revolver  
Years ago

What a crazy result!!! Well done to the guys, they are clearly playing at a level of intensity that is worrying opposition teams!!! Fair bit of pressure on KB when Tracy leaves!

Reply #25244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

reeves finished with 22 points and 14 boards

Reply #25257 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

Zane Reeves is definately coming of age!

As his current and former team mate, I have seen him blossom (yes, blossom!) into "the BIG Country".

He is working hard, and playing better than ever.

P.S. Dont show, tell or talk to Zane about this...he will get a big head and do something silly like rock up to u/20's training 30 minutes late wearing head phones, sunglasses and numerous accessories.

Reply #25267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear sir spark turns up 30 mins late for training all the time, shame cos he's a good player

Reply #25270 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

just curious, how many different alias's does this reeves kid have. I have seen him play (last night, and for the past year or so), and can say he is not all that Sir Spark, tipping woes, take luck, and others are cracking him up to be. It might be best to let junior players develop their game, and comment on those established ABL players only.

Reply #25271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he doesn't come on this forum. and it is a basketball forum we can comment on both junior and senior players. and if you've seen him play recently he has matured into an excellet basketballer, pulling 14 boards against and NBL hambour and a 6'11 kent is an awesome effort for such a young bloke

Reply #25274 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

as commented in (#25267) and (#25270) this thread and 'Warriors take the 'ship" these junior (still in under-?? competitions) are using this forum to ego boast. Yes, they may get the occasional 'good' (read big-number) game, however as a loyal warriors supporter, it has been quite a number of years (2-3) since we have been a title threat, which is what the league is about. Lets focus on winning games, as this is still a team game, no matter how many 'qwerty happy' juniors comprise the team.

Reply #25276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see scrap, gund dad, take luck and anything to do with woodville and piss myself with laughter but the fact of the matter is this result and last week says with the gaggle they have they will still b around the mark. Saw them in the summer and thought this may be case zaneo wqith his hair was surprising. I have nothing to do with woodville and dont even know who gundad is. This is a first for woodville to get external respect on this forum.

Reply #25278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And zaneo the guy with an effective game is actually a good bloke so good luck to them.

Reply #25279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Curious Monkey: If a junior player performs so well in ABL, the comments must be made! Dont be getting all jealous up in here

You are a bad monkey and you can go spank yourself

P.S. Zane has alias'...all of which are more creative and hilarious than "curious monkey"

Fashizzle

Reply #25281 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

it was agreed that this forum wouldn't mention junior unless they were of State or AIS calibre. jealousy is not an issue, i am, and have been an avid Warriors fan since you were taking jam sandwiches to primary school, my boy, so dont get all high and mighty on me, especially considering your too shy, weak, scared, etc to post a name other than anon. ending you comment with Fashizzle (which for those of you who dont know actually means for sure), is out of context, and again shows your immaturity. I am all for the club performing, however for the past two of three season, with the calibre of players we have been 'underpeforming.' Losing Darren was a big blow, but as a team we need to re group and play the team game we were renowed for a few season back, instead of harping on a few individual performances. I am all about the team, as i would hope the rest of our fans are too.

Reply #25285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmm if a player like tom rowe can make state, then reeves's 22 point 14 board effort against an NBL PLAYER (hambour) definitely makes him of state and AIS calibre.

Reply #25286 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

You refer to the team as "we"...do you play in the squad? Serious question.

Zane is kicking state players all over the court of late

Reply #25287 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

oh, i'm sorry, i did read the messengers write up of the 20's state team, i must have overlooked his mention. If i have, i apoligise, otherwise, its your mistake. You stand corrected.

Reply #25288 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

With all due respect 'Sir' i have, as i told the coward anon, i have been supporting Warriors since you were taking jam sandwiches to Primary school. I have played seniors, for a number of years, but due to my knees, and in more recent years, age i haven't been an active player in the Warriors, but am a committed supporter, and will continue to be, but my focus remains on the team unity and team win/loss record rather than the individual performances of certain players in the team.

Reply #25289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well you must be happy with the teams current form then, 2-0 when they were expected to finish last, and that has been due a lot to reeves's boarding and scoring

Reply #25292 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

happy with their form, not happy with their supporters, last three seasons there has been too much focus on their players, not enough on the team. First it was vander' and D.Ng then pudifoot, and a few others. Quite frankly, i am sick of it. I would rather let the coaching staff do the talking and the player do the playing. End of the season i want to see performance, and to do that requires focus. Its the coaches job to inform players of their performance, and with the talent we have, we deserve to be a top-four contender.

Reply #25293 | Report this post

bogut#1  
Years ago

oh my, how quickly do you boys start talking, one game doesnt make this boy all star material nor does it make kent 6"11 or hambour a NBL player takes a bit more than to sit on the bench and be training bait to be classed as an NBL player dont you think??

Reply #25294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

much respect to tracy and her crew. tracy certainly has done a great job in the league for the past few years, and will be missed. i dont know if kb can fill her shoes, but by hell the warriors are on fire!!

Reply #25303 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me how leaping Leon K played

Reply #25311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was at the game yesterday and while zane did play a great game it was a team game you had all woodville boys crashing the boards and boxing out,this is something these guys can teach north
why rave about one player woodville won on a strong team effort,something north were sadly lacking

Reply #25319 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

Get on board the Greentrain, there is no substitute for hard work, they lost alot of great, talented, experienced, good looking, team players but that aside if you work hard good things will happen. This has been the case for the first 2 weeks.
Hopkins and Loveday would not admit it but they would have had thee win penciled in as soon as thee draw was released, they are now both scratching around for rubber.

Dont make the same mistake Bob.

Reply #25322 | Report this post

Old School  
Years ago

Leon was solid on D and made some good plays. Looks like he will be the goods when he stops second guessing his shots and takes them when they are there.

Reply #25325 | Report this post

Chooo Chooo

Reply #25327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets hope for their sake that the 3's keep dropping.....you now KB will encourage the 3

Reply #25328 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

Love ya work Bootney, good to hear from you, where you been hiding

Reply #25329 | Report this post

I've been busy ring barking fence posts up the Mallee

Reply #25340 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Get on board the Gravy Train, even though he isn't there (kinda ironic, isn't it?).

Hats off to the Green n Gold. I doubted them but what you're seeing is what the Reserves Teams have been seeing regularly over the last few years. These guys can play and just because they've been patiently waiting behind the likes of Whitmore, Vandenberg, Graves, Ng, Rees, Bradley and Co, it doesn't mean they aren't any good. Birmingham and Fuller have been ripping up the 2s for years - now they get their chance in the 1s.

Big ups to Tracy for what she's done too. To lose the heart of the team (and I second Vidmar's comments about Woodville losing a lot of good looking, team players in the offseason!), they have rebounded very well.

Here's to the future boys, and many more wins. Remember though - it's a marathon, not a sprint. Keep realistic and take it one game at a time.

PS. Where's all the Southern supporters now? All I heard pre-season was Snake this, Hoban that ..... but now they've gone quiet? Best re-think that wooden spoon comment I made about Woodville. I'm expecting it to head west, but perhaps to somewhere around the old St Ives now .....

Reply #25424 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

yes gun dad it was me on the stats bench...dont be shy..come and say hi next time :)

Reply #25426 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Curious Monkey is a tool. Congrats to the young Woodville guys for surprising everyone. Big Reeves game should be talked about.

Monkey, make yourself a jam sandwich and have a green tea. It will help with the sore knees.

I'm sure you said Woodville haven't been a title threat for 2-3 years. Didn't they finish top last year and play in a GF? You stand corrected.

I'm a West boy, by the way.

Reply #25482 | Report this post

Curious Monkey  
Years ago

Thedoctor

This is a basketball forum, and everyone is entitlted to their own opinion, if you need to resort to 2nd grade insults, then you obviously dont know much about basketball.

Reply #25485 | Report this post

Sorry doc, but i gotta agree with the monkey, your losing focus of basketball. It will be interesting to see the next Warriors v West game, could be fireworks on and off the court if you kids dont compose yourselves.

Reply #25488 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Monkey, you've obviously lost your magic. Don't be jealous coz others are finding theirs.

North were tipped as potential champions this year. For a young Woodville team tipped to finish last to knock them off is worth talking about. No one is saying they are going to win the Championship, just that the two wins were surprising and the young talent at Woodville can play a bit.

Reply #25499 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

This performance shows how important to blood talent in Reserves and get players game time. The green and gold boys have started the season well but the big question remains, will they still be playing like this come season end? I hope they do.
Moses, your right, where have all the Southern supports gone... Wooden spoon is now up for grabs.

Reply #25500 | Report this post

captain  
Years ago

Moses,
You said The Warriors lost the heart of their team. No, they didn't, the heart is alive and well and its name is Puddifoot!
Any team that has this man you know will not be outworked or outhustled.
I saw a few of his Academy games this year and thought he lead them very well.

Reply #25739 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Captain, in terms of heart, I was referring to the Big Dog Whitmore and his supporting cast. Scott has been involved for Woodville for more years than CSI has episodes playing at the minute (or maybe not). Cameron Wilson is the man now, but I agree about Puds and I sure hope he's found a home. Great guy and great attitude - and damn, when he gives you a corked thigh, you know about it for weeks ..... or in my case, years!

Reply #25749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754