dome rat
Years ago

jan says no to 36ers but...

did not say to lightning )))

ideal for her to do other things and coach part time

Topic #22414 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

It seems sixers offered 4. Goorjian Gaze Stirling who are unavailable and Maher - who has agreed to do it.

Reply #269141 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I hope that's not true Camel. Throwing Brett Maher in the deep end is not what this club needs at this juncture.

Surely the Sixers will cast their net wider than just four candidates?

Reply #269142 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If true, it's a bit of a gamble, I agree. I guess he'd at least hold the respect of players, but that's only part of the coaching game.

Wonder if they'd go with Maher/KB/Flynn? Not a massively experienced coaching line-up at NBL level, besides KB's time at the Hawks.

Reply #269143 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I love Brett as much as anyone, but didn't we learn our lesson with Scotty re: experience?

Reply #269145 | Report this post

charminar  
Years ago

I agree lets go for experience this time. This is what the players will be wanting and needing after the last couple of seasons.

Reply #269147 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If we are really lucky and Maher is able to assemble a great lineup like we had for Phil's first year, then he might be okay, because the pressure will be off. But he'll have to hit a home run with his imports and even then the current Sixers team has no-one of the quality of Maher, Cattalini or Rillie to put around them. I just don't see that kind of history repeating itself.

Reply #269148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel you are way off the mark this time round

Reply #269151 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

would this be any different to giving Smyth his first coaching gig ? Both were smart on-court generals, and much revered in bball circles. I'd be for giving him a go ...

Reply #269152 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

ONLY - from listening to talk back radio (5aa) every nite - and that's wot they are saying/said - on air.

Reply #269153 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As well as saying that they were disappointed that you wouldn't come on air , this week - after being on regularly, all season.

Reply #269154 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Maher won't want to get caught up in this shit yet,,, to early and without doubt the net would be far wider than those 4. Especially when u can guarentee that goorj was a def no without asking.

Jan has better things to do and without the stress.

Gaze is the same as Jan. Media are clasping at straws as they would have no info coming out yet as the sixers are trying to get a coach as are opposition teams.

I would think they will make a play for a coach ready coaching in the nbl already.

Reply #269159 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

Maher needs to spend a couple of seasons as an assistant AWAY from Adelaide before getting a gig coaching. Even coach in the SEABL would be a smart move. Goorjian, Westover, Joyce, Stacker, Lemanis etc etc all spent seasons cutting their teeth in the SEABL before getting gigs in the NBL.
Dang Al Westover spent years in the SEABL and 9 years under Lindsay before getting the head coaching job.

Brett don't do it until you've experienced dealing with immature personalities, its a balancing act that can take years to master. AND if your serious about coaching in the NBL do it in another city first, where if you coach like Mark Price they will still love you back home.

Reply #269160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel why would you think that the 5AA Footy Show would have any idea what's happening?

Reply #269167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BMF, they've at least spoken to Goorjian to ascertain his interest and he didn't rule it out. Obviously that doesn't mean they're in the same ballpark on price and probably haven't even spoken about it, but I don't think you can guarantee that Goorjian was a 'no' like that.

So far, so good, I think. They've made the decision about Ninnis quickly, they're getting support in making the future decision (perhaps Maher is just going to be involved like Stirling is?), they're working towards a logical deadline, etc.

Reply #269169 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

What can I say -
I listen, everynite.
Sixers had a regular segment on air this season.

( Crows and Power would come on air, if they sacked their coach - sixers refused)
5aa sounded so confident that wot they were saying was correct - in the absence of sixers comments.

Reply #269172 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Brett Maher will not be the Sixers head coach next season. An Assistant Coaching role is not out of the question however.

Reply #269174 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw - That sounds a whole lot better - Isaac.

Reply #269175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel, the 36ers might not have gone on air if there were still legal things being worked out with Ninnis.

Reply #269178 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camel, you or 5AA might be confused. Maher has no interest in coaching.

Reply #269201 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I would've thought it unlikely that a player would go to an NBL head coach of a bottom team and take them top. I've been thinking Goorjian.

Some of the other names mentioned as assistants, first would be good.

I merely passed on what I heard on Mon, Tues and Wed.
which I've mentioned on here.

It's great to read - Isaac - you know your stuff.

( I had to learn the hard way - about the media.)

Reply #269205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754