Number 44
Years ago

Ken Cole: What is the latest?

It was a big topic a couple of weeks ago and now nothing.

Topic #22432 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

He'll be here in ABOUT a week - to have discussions
and has the funds to buy the Dome and the 36ers.

Reply #269389 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Sure SOS wouldn't want to see the team.

Hopefully they can join forces.

Reply #269391 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wouldn't think SOS would wanna sell.
BUT - I'd guess - Will they move outta the dome and play and train somewhere else. Can they keep renting it?
Issues to consider.
Hopefully they could join forces - as you suggest.

Reply #269392 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Old Ken Cole was a merry old sole...

Reply #269393 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Do they think Goorjian is too expensive and the like, to think about and discuss , also.

Reply #269398 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Is there a salary cap on coaches, or only players?

Reply #269400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know Cole's history but where does he get all the spare money from?'

Reply #269402 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

No cap on coaches.

Cole has various world-wide business interests and is coming here 'representing' a wealthy group - looking to invest in it - for 5years.

Reply #269404 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Investing in basketball? He can say goodbye to his wealthy group!

Reply #269406 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well maybe.

I've heard of wealthy business people with a bit of cash surplus looking for a 5 year investment.

Maybe (with the Dome in liquidation) - they think they can get it at the right price.
MAYBE ? They heard of one of the sixers owners leaving suddenly.

Ya know build it up for 5 years and sell it , at a profit.
( Or maybe make a bit of a loss on it.)

Reply #269407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ken Cole and money?
What a joke.

Reply #269425 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Camel - what are you spouting on about. Last couple of threads I read had you telling everyone that Maher was a lock for Coach.

It's great if he's got money for the Dome and the 6ers, but the current owners have to be happy to sell. I doubt very much that SOS are keen to jump ship after one season, and I reckon there will be quite a few months of red-tape left to sort out the Dome.

Reply #269427 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

What's all the Fuss about? ;)

Reply #269441 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Ken Cole and a brown paper bag full of money...
This whole thing smells fishy.
I would much rather have a consortium of local business people in charge.
People that have existing roles within our community.

The powerhouse is a great stadium... But I can see myself catching a tram from work down to the Ent Cent on a Friday night.

Reply #269442 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Gazza - Think I mentioned 5AA would, at least, get Maher on, next week, 'cause he's got the job.
(even though - 5AA-Sixers relationship is not good,now)- That's what 5AA said - Not me.

Ken Cole is coming here for discussions about buying the dome and his old club, that he coached to a championship. ( Boti Nagy said)

Is it something important - Maybe not.

Reply #269443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ken Cole must be 70? by now?

Reply #269450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buying or investing in the 6ers.....there's a difference

Reply #269569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its all a beat-up. believe it when you see it.

Reply #269570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anything to do with Ken Cole will be dodgy.
The last thing the sixers need right now.

Reply #269586 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Gold DJ :)

Reply #269703 | Report this post

Ken Cole  
Years ago

All of you made interesting reading. My intentions thru a number of international clients is to attempt to purchase the Dome and be able to offer stability to the 36ers and South Australian basketball. My intentions would not be to take over the 36ers but to join forces with the 36ers to establish a strong SA presence in the long term. My goal would be to dramatically upgrade the facilities offering the options for concerts, trade shows, an international basketball academy and attempt to maximise the use of the facility. I would hope that the basketball ticket pricing would be between $10 and $20 maximum per ticket except for a number of courtside seats. The aim being to allow families and supporters to have an interesting, fun and exciting night at the basketball without breaking their budget. I believe we could attract quality sponsors and build - again - a wonderful relationship with the other sporting groups, eg the Crows, Port, top soccer teams etc.

By the way I am 66 years young, 25 years insulin dependent diabetic in superb health. It is not my intention to coach the team or interfere with any appointed coach. My wife, our children, and our grandchildren are all extremely happy living in San Diego where we have a magnificent home on the Bay. Our intention is to do something good for South Australia - a place I always wanted to call home.

The comment that negotiations on purchase could be 3 to 6 months off is probably very accurate. There is no point getting innvolved with negativity. I'm trying to do something positive for a city and many people that have extended friendship for many years. While we may not achieve these goals it certainly doesn't stop me from trying to do everything I can to create something good.

Hope this helps clarify what I think, not what others perceive me to think.

When you give of your possessions you give of very little, when you give of yourself you truly give. Come to the tournament on the 6th and have fun. Thanks :)

Reply #271078 | Report this post

bear the 2nd  
Years ago

Thanks Ken. Very interesting comments. Any investment in basketball in this state is a great thing, and I hope it works out for you.

Reply #271086 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

Good luck to you Ken, you and the boys were my idols back in 85/86 and as with lots of fans my age were the reason i follow the team today..i still miss apollo! Hope everything goes to plan for you.

Reply #271094 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hi Ken,
Thanks for taking the time to respond on this forum. I was genuinely intrigued when I heard you were interested in investing in the Dome/ 36ers, because you were the coach when I first started supporting the Sixers and I had not heard anything of you since your coaching years here. Those were great times and I really enjoyed watching that team play.

The ideas you list above sound very positive for the 36ers and basketball in this State, so I wish you every fortune in your efforts.

Reply #271110 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Well done for taking the time to come on and clear things up Ken. Well done.

Reply #271128 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Ken.

Reply #271156 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Thanks for posting and thanks for wanting to contribute to basketball in Adelaide. I can't for the life of me understand why your help wouldn't be welcomed by the basketball stakeholders and the general community. i'll go back to my arguement in another thread about "product". Money buys product and product makes money. The amount of money is relative to the quality of product. Fan loyalty in sport is warm and fuzzy, but only lasts so long in today's economic climate where we are all looking to get the most out of our money.

Reply #271171 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754