Achtung Baby
Years ago

Patty Mills Back to D-League

With the impending signing of Travis Deiner after he was released from the Pacers, it is unfortunate, but almost certain that Patty Mills will be sent back to the D-League.

Topic #22443 | Report this topic

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

i think he should look for a new team to get some playing time!

Reply #269613 | Report this post

Davoo  
Years ago

I know he s aussie and our next big thing, but common what team wants a Shoot first PG who is barely 6 foot playing point and isnt the strongest defensively. The days of Iverson are gone. Thats why there is no playing time, quite simply put. Im not hating on Patty, infact I loved him at St Mary's, but its pretty obvious why he can't find minutes in the NBA.

Reply #269622 | Report this post

ja  
Years ago

mate he is on a team with branden roy, jarred baylees and andre miller thats why he cant get court time. he was averaging 6 assists in the d-league when he was there last so i think he has better then a past first point gaurd.

Reply #269635 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I'd play him. He's a gun. I think his defence is very solid. It's ok to be short as long as you are lightning quick. He is!

Reply #269640 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Considering the Blazers weren't giving Mills any court time, I don't think its a bad thing for him to do a decent stint in the D League.

I'd love to know what Blazers management are thinking though. I just cannot see how Travis Diener offers that much right now that the Blazers would think they were better off hiring him than giving Mills a go.

Basically, Diener will do a solid, conservative job of running their offence for the few minutes Miller is out each game. But he will be even more of a liability than Mills defensively (the guy is tiny) and the only thing he does on offence is pass the ball and knock down open jumpers.

If they gave him a chance, Patty would be doing all that and more in no time.

Reply #269641 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Davoo, the Blazers signed him when he was on a long term injury so they obviously see he has the goods to contribute. I'd say the fact that he's a rookie coming off a long term injury in a team with a bunch of guards is why his minutes are limited.

There's teams that could use him now, and I think he will eventually get regular minutes.

Reply #269644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the only thing he does on offence is pass the ball and knock down open jumpers."

And that is a bad thing???

Reply #269653 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon, shall I spell it out for you? Mills can do what Diener can do, but he will also be able to do so much more in a very short time. Diener is already playing at the limits of his ability. It just seems short sighted to me to sign him when they could give Mills more minutes. Its not like they can go deep in the playoffs this year anyway. Whats a loss here and there to find out what you've got?

Reply #269671 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Beantown is totally on the money. Diener cannot do any more than what he can do right now - Mills can do everything PLUS has the potential to do more - it's called "upside". Diener does not have any upside and really is a very puzzling acquisition by the Blazers.

As thedoctor pointed out, there are many teams out there that are crying out for a decent point guard so I really do hope Patty gets traded for next season so he gets a decent shot at minutes - unless of course things change at the Blazers...

Reply #269685 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS - the thread title is misleading as Mills has not been assigned to the Idaho Stampede in the D-League...

Reply #269686 | Report this post

Davoo  
Years ago

Time Will Tell. Teams are moving away from tiny point guards who like to shoot the ball. I Hope you guys prove me wrong but I don't see it, not in the near future anyway.

Reply #269689 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aaron Brooks seems to be doing very well in Houston...

Reply #269699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren Collison is doing well in NO and ty Lawson is doing well in denver and there the same size as brooks.

Reply #269704 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Davooo - you appear to be proved wrong! I forgot about Lawson and Collison.

Reply #269706 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

I know he s aussie and our next big thing, but common what team wants a Shoot first PG who is barely 6 foot playing point and isnt the strongest defensively. The days of Iverson are gone. Thats why there is no playing time, quite simply put. Im not hating on Patty, infact I loved him at St Mary's, but its pretty obvious why he can't find minutes in the NBA

Brandon Jennings?

Already mentioned - Aaron Brooks, Collison, Lawson.
Nate Robinson?

Reply #269718 | Report this post

Patrimosa  
Years ago

^^^^ Earl Boykins

Reply #269757 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754