Anonymous
Years ago

Recommended iPhone Applications?

Anyone know of some good apps that you use, find useful or recommend?

Topic #22444 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I play Lux Touch a lot (free Risk rip-off) while eating breakfast or killing time. Not all that challenging, but apparently Lux Delux has more difficult AI opponents. Also got a Freecell app, Cookie Solitaire kept me entertained for a bit, and Scramble is worth getting. There are some good language translation apps out there.

If anyone knows of a good sky app (identifying stars and planets) that will work with an original iPhone (without GPS/compass)?

Reply #269620 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Usefull
-Google
-Google Earth
-Banking (BankSA)
-Account (Optus My Account)
-Urbanspoon
-White Pages
-iTranslate
-Domino's I guess.

Social
-Facebook
-Twitterific/TweetDeck

Games
-iBomber is free and lots of fun. WWII bombing sim.
-Epic Pet Wars will consume your life.
-Rope'n Fly.
-Paper Toss.
-FingerFoos. Good to compete with mates.
-Arcade Hoops Basketball (Lite). Good to compete with mates.
-GTI Racing looks great.

They're the one's I'd use most.

Reply #269625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know of an application where you can establish groups for sms messaging like most phones previously have. To me not having this is a pain in the meck when I need to send messages to our basketball team??

Reply #269627 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Anon - Nope. FB groups seem to be the easiest way. It's what Uni SA bball use.

Reply #269630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loco,

Thanks for that. Son has just started at UniSA - can you play with UniSA if you currently play with a district club??

Reply #269631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac i've played lux touch about 10 times and haven't won... a mate played it first time and won >_>

Reply #269637 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I am addicted to Lock and Roll... great time killer.

Reply #269638 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Pro Basketball is a good free app.
It has NBA scores, Standings and News.
Has live scores and then has a basic scoresheet for each game when it has finished.
Sheep and Action Bowling are free time killing games.

Reply #269680 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I would win at Lux 95% of the time. Two of the AIs are predictable. Yellow is kamikaze, so is easy to kill off early. Red plays conservatively until the end-game and then goes nuts - at the beginning, just make sure your border with them isn't the weakest and they will leave you alone.

Once the card cashing gets up a bit, you can generally go on a spree of killing off AIs for cards and pick-off black, green and red in quick succession. Always make sure you have access to yellow once they are weakened (i.e., not blocked by other AIs) and don't let them get 3-4 cards a second or third time or they will run amok and annoy you.

Reply #269692 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

Is there an app that stops you from putting an Apple sticker on the back window of your car? If so.. make sure you get it so you don't look like a twonk ;-)

Reply #269695 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

i reccomend jailbreaking your iphone.

i did mine the other day and its like having a whole new phone again. the amount of extra things you can do is amazing

Reply #269696 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Another vote from me for "iBomber". Highly addictive and many levels to keep you occupied!

I also use "RunKeeper" - it tracks your activity via GPS - whether ti be running, walking, cycling etc. It also records your times, speed and distance and then you can go online and see you results. Highly recommended as you can use it also listening to your music.

I'm also addicted to "FlickCricket" and you can link it in with Facebook.

"Flick Fishing" also provided many hours of entertainment.

"eBay" and "Facebook" apps are also very useful.

Reply #269697 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Anon - UniSA is a district club. Might need a clearance I'd say?

Isaac - addicted to Lux now!

Reply #269708 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Shazam is a pretty useful app.

Explain the pro's and con's of jailbreaking please.

Reply #269712 | Report this post

Daddy J  
Years ago

TC2...

Pros -

You are able to customise pretty much anything...message tones, background images, icons, lock/unlock sounds.

Internet tether for free (if you are with Optus).

Free apps/games. You no longer have to pay for apps through itunes and you have access to apps that aren't available in the Australian iTunes store.

Plus many more...

Cons -

Slim chance of 'bricking' your phone but that is easily reversed.

---

I don't reoommend jailbreaking if you have installed the 3.1.3 version software though. Because iPhone 4.0 will be released later this year, the developers who jailbreak the software aren't doing much work with 3.1.3...

Reply #269715 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

So if I stuff the phone up, i can reset it my restoring it through iTunes?

and 3.1.3.... I have installed that. no point jailbreaking then?

Reply #269719 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I got the original iPhone before it was released in Australia and had to unlock and break it to get it working here. I upgraded and re-broke it at v2. Recently, I upgraded to 3 and didn't JB it this time. At some point along my convoluted process, older apps (from Installer or Cydia) had really slowed my phone down and made Safari crash very often. As a clean v3 and no JB, it's much, much better.

I wouldn't be deterred by bricking it, but then the advantages of JBing it now aren't that great. Apps are free or cheap and being able to just update without worrying about re-JBing in the future is an advantage.

Reply #269720 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

espn nba app lets you do gamecast and see lives scores as they happen, also they give u notifications at the start of the game, every quarter and end of the game for your team. all for free, also i am tpain quite fun

Reply #269741 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

The 3Gs is ok JB. I have mine still on 3.0 and runs fine. Frozen maybe 3 times total in 6 months.

Plenty of apps to play with. Whirlpool.net.au is ok to look around for apps in the iPhone section.

Reply #269746 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

WTF is a twonk???

Reply #269755 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Delete reference.......... Found a twonk meaning

Reply #269756 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

^ ;-)

Reply #269792 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I downloaded one app called iSaac. It doesn't do much except tell you that your brother is much prettier than you.

Reply #269794 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I'm a bit late to this party, but I downloaded Myst a while back, a remake of the original 90's classic adventure game, it's incredible, spent many hours working my way through various worlds trying to figure out what was happening. It's not a freebie but I reckon you get pretty good bang for your buck considering it's a full game (circa 700 meg download).

Reply #269885 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paid for the upgrade to Lux DLX (US$5.99 I think) - more control over AIs to make it more challenging (I usually play against 2x Hard and 2x Medium) but it's a bit more sluggish.

Also got the official Scrabble app (US$3.99) and that's also great for killing time - definitely recommended if you like Scrabble and don't cry too much when the AI on Hard is busting out word after word that you've never heard in your life. On the normal setting, if you're fairly competent it's pretty easy to beat by 150-200 or more points. On hard, I was getting smashed to begin with but would be closer to splitting the games now. If you don't know your two and three-letter words, you will get killed.

Reply #275809 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754