Jay
Years ago

Oh No! Its Nagys worst nightnare

The worst nightmare is coming true for the budgie. He will have to admit that Goorjian is the best coach the game has seen in Australia. How will he twist this around so Phil keeps the gong?

Topic #2247 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The award should go to the Sydney accountants for being able to demonstrate that the Kings have not exceeded the cap 3 years running.

Reply #25326 | Report this post

about time  
Years ago

give it up for crying out loud he may have the cattle but crikey how many more championships must he get to prove to you all that he can coach. You dont have to like someone to admit they can coach and unfortunately success is what proves greatness. The guy has the runs on the board. GIve him some credit.

Reply #25367 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Maybe you didnt watch the olympics!
Goorjian should be sacked as the boomers coach.
What a selfish display of coaching,play all your favorites ahead of the real talent.

Reply #25377 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but he has lost more gf's than he has won??

Reply #25398 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Don't bring the Olympics into it. We're talking about NBL coaches and from what I've seen and heard first-hand, he can coach. Just because he has a different style to Phil, doesn't make him Darth Vader. There's room at the top for more than one excellent coach.

Reply #25420 | Report this post

about time  
Years ago

i agree give credit where credits due for crying out loud

Reply #25432 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

Bullsh*t (about time)... as a professional coach you should be judged at all the levels you coach at! Particularly international team coaches ... they are supposed to be the pinnacle of the country ... Goorj stuffed up big time .. Playing Heal over Maher when it was clear that Maher was the premier PG at the time .. and dont even get me started on the Cat court time issue. Only thing he got remotely right was letting the Utah Bogut-mountain have a run and get some confidence.
Goorjian runs his teams on ego and that translates into losses for our Australian side... if you dont fit his mould then you miss out ..
Losses to the Tall Blacks .. what a crock !!

Reply #25448 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

Who cares...he is just a yankee dick-wit anyway. Even if he wins 203266784 grand finals im still going to think he is a w@nker

Reply #25479 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Than your an idiot because i don't think anyone else could coach 3 different sydney teams to 3 in a row.

I dont like him...but i RESPECT and ADMIT h\the man can coach

Reply #25493 | Report this post

Curious Monkey  
Years ago

If you look at this situation logically, Phil Coached a Boomers Team that lost to the Tall Blacks, then Brian coached the Boomers team, with the same pool of players and where did we finish at the olympics? A very dissappointing result, well below NZ. Given both coaches had the same players (effectivly) this is the only way the coaches can fairly be compared. Contrasting styles, but i would still have to say Phil is Australia's top coach, with Brian, Stacker, and Geordie not too far behind.

Reply #25495 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

We did not finish below NZ at the Olympics.

Reply #25496 | Report this post

righto  
Years ago

hey everyone, lets all take a leap out of kriss's book. he seems to know what he's talking about. good call mate

Reply #25554 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

And it was a very different group of players at the Olympics.

If people actually listened to Goorjian talk about his basketball, you would realise he is a very intelligent, passionate and wise coach.

I sure have a lot of respect for him.

Reply #25555 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

To righto??... a 'leap out of a book' hey ??? do you mean leaf? in which case .. from a tree ... try it !!
Goorj will not do anything great with our Boomers for a while yet !

Yogee .. god i hope that is sarcasm!?

Reply #25557 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

If Goorjian is such a good coach,why did he shaft Maher at the olympics?
Maher stood up for the boomers in all the pre olympics trial matches and led the team to many wins over good european teams.
At the olympics Heal started and the boomers really sucked!
No Gorj or Heal bashing,but the TRUTH!!!

Reply #25562 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

No actually skyhook, it wasnt sarcasm.

In my media role, I have had several occasions to meet and talk with Goorjian, and actually have developed quite a lot of respect for him as a coach, and as a human being.

I guess it comes down to seeing and hearing things that dont generally get seen by basketball fans, but are still done in public.

And Mix Master, my views on the Olympics are quite well documented, even to the extent of a full page article in the now defunct PBT.

Reply #25567 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Which coach has LOST the most GFs in the NBL?

Reply #25579 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My 2c -- I wasn't a big fan of Goorjian's coaching in the Olympics, but I think he's generally a very good coach. This Sydney team demonstrates that --injury problems, strategic recruiting, reasonable count of new faces in the squad, and the end result is looking to be the first threepeat in the NBL.

Reply #25585 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Goorjian HAS to be one of the best coaches in Australian Basketball history. Hasn't he taken 8 out of his last 10 teams into grand finals?
If you mention the olympic result, Larry Brown is considered one of the best coaches in the history of the NBA, yet he led team USA to Bronze in Athen's - does this mean that he can't coach? I understand the patriotism towards South Australian player's and coaches, but Goorjians results over the time he has coached have to be recognised as among the best.

Reply #25588 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

wak wrote :"Which coach has LOST the most GFs in the NBL?"

Brian Goorjian. He has also won the most GFs in the NBL (equal) and in a few days will hold that record outright when he wins his 5th.

That's a lot of Grand Final appearances.

I know some people would like to think losing a Grand Final makes you a bad coach but it doesn't, and just getting there is a fair performance.

He gets to the Grand Final more often than not. And when he gets there he wins about half of them. I'd take that anyday.

Reply #25592 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Its better to get to a grand final and lose it then not get to a grand final. At least you have an opportunity to win it, unlike the clubs who didn't make it and by the by Maher in the Australian team is considered an off guard so he competes for time with Jason Smith not Heale or CJ!

Reply #25603 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

We are getting off the topic that Brian Goorjian is a tool

Reply #25616 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754