espn hd
Years ago

Explain college jargon: RPI?

what is the "RPI" the commentators are comparing all the time.

and strength of schedule ? is a lower strength better ?

Topic #22484 | Report this topic

espn hd  
Years ago

re strength - i'm not talking about beer )

Reply #270104 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

RPI = Ratings Percentage Index

The RPI has been used by the NCAA since 1981 to supplement the selection of at-large teams (teams that do not qualify automatically as their conference champions but have won enough games, including wins against quality opponents) and the seeding of all teams for the NCAA basketball tournament.

The strength of schedule is how tough a team's schedule was during the season i.e a strong schedule is demonstrated by playing against the highest ranked RPI teams. Connecticut had the toughest schedule this season and were ranked 1 - hence the lower the ranking for schedule strength the better (in that context). So in answer to your question, you want a higher strength schedule, ranking you 'lower'. This is why some people sill consider Connecticut still an outside chance of making the NCAA tournament, as they played against really tough teams with better RPI scores, and even though they lost many of them, they are given greater merit than other teams that record a loss against a team with a very low RPI.

Hope all this makes sense...

Reply #270112 | Report this post

Years ago

so the better the team - the higher RPI and lower strength score -

i.e. RPI 60 and strength 4 etc

Reply #270120 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:41 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754