bretts the man
Years ago

Sixers new coach: Who is on the short list?

With season over this weekend thus free agents list out in 2 weeks where S.O.S. said they would have new coach appointed by then.
So surely the field would be narrowed down by now.
So who are the likely coaches who are in the running for job.

Topic #22503 | Report this topic

enonymous  
Years ago

D-mac
Joyce
Molloy
Stacker

There was one other name, but it escapes me

Reply #270298 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Is that right about Darryl MacDonald?

Reply #270301 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

I have heard the rumour more than once

Reply #270304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll wear a tracksuit and coach with his hat on backwards. Then he'll have one of his 39 offspring running over at half time asking for some money for the canteen. That's what happens here in Melbourne.

What a complete farce. Get a real coach, someone with credentials.

Molloy or
Stacker

Reply #270307 | Report this post

ball  
Years ago

Why doesn't the SOS at least give the fans some information on who is on the short list.
We deserve to at least know who might be coaching us next year. Every AFL team who goes through the process of finding a new coach keeps their fans updated. We always seem to know in the AFL who the last 3 people are when going for Jobs.
Why can't the SOS show fans the same repect. After last season they should be doing everything to keep the fans informed and give us an official short list.
I'm not holding my breath though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #270308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that some are still coaching other teams, not a good thing to go public!!! yet!!

Reply #270309 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

There is only Beveridge and McLeod still coaching and you would not move Bevo from Perth now .
Yes Ball usually know who is in line to get AFL jobs so hard to work out why not even leaks of who discussed position with for lesser sport.
Guess another point is that there are posters on this site that have fair idea who is in the running that havent given feedback on.

Reply #270310 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I can't recall AFL teams releasing short lists. More a case of educated guesses and media watching airports and clubs looking for candidates attending interviews . Like any job interview process, it should be as confidential as possible

Reply #270315 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

100% correct thedoctor, all information from AFL clubs comes from speculation and extensive media resources being employed to watch who meets with who. If we had that level of interest in BBall..then we would know.

Reply #270316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

names I've heard include

Molloy
Stacker
Henry
and some guy from Canada

Jan Sterling is helping with the selection process

Reply #270323 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

anyone but connor henry, he carried on worse than scotty adn lemanis combined!

Reply #270328 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Whilst they may not be coaching actively, they would most likely still be under contract - most would run until after the finals finished.

I'm guessing there would be confidentiality requirements on both sides - 6ers wouldn't want those in the running to know who they are up against, and coaches probably wouldn't want other teams / coaches knowing who else was running.

Reply #270334 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

People find out about AFL only through speculation this sort of process deserves to be confidential to be fair to all parties so why do you deserve to know, this is your forum to speculate so when you find out you can come back on here and complain about it

Reply #270338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rest assured despite all the speculation Goorjian was never going to coach in adelaide

Reply #270340 | Report this post

chilled west end  
Years ago

stacker
stacker
stacker

does the right thing all round

Reply #270341 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Stacker has already taken a franchise to near glory & has just been under the tutelage of Westover. I think he'll be great 2nd time round. Joyce has an agro style but would build a winning culture. He would be a fool to recruit his son again regardless of whether the kid can play or not. I wouldnt look past these 2. Molloy is a good 2IC - not a head coaches ass!

Reply #270344 | Report this post

stacker will do basketball stuff beyond 36ers as well - which I like - a passion for the game

Reply #270345 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Guys, AFL clubs routinely leak/announce both their targeted coaches and likely to be interviewed coaches. It is planned, not "discovered', more often than not. It's a strategy that maintains hype, informally gauges public reaction etc. Not dissimilar to government leaks of possible policy chnages to gauge reaction.

The Sixers are mad not exposing this process - they should be not just saying who they are interviewing, but when and where. During the Richmond FC search last year they were incredibly open about candidates, when they were p[resenting to sub-committees etc.

Shows a lot of front office inexperience and a lack of media savy.

At the very least the 36ers should be confirming who they have spoken to via press-release and who they are speaking to next.

Reply #270349 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Guess it's a fine balance between hype and confidentiality.

On March 20, do the right thing Adelaide.

VOTE 1: IAN STACKER

Stacker - a brighter Sixer's tomorrow... today.

Reply #270355 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Spot on Hoh in your post re how AFL process done.
Think of the last time the name of AFL coach announced was a suprise.
It gets out there who is on the short list and then who becomes favourite.
Gazza the SOS said they were going to announce before free agent list which is obviously great idea so if do process which they are doing have to talk to who you are interested in and if a club involved would have been notified.
My post wasnt in any way criticsm as seemed to done process well but how on this SA based basketball site we had not heard who was on their list approx. 2 weeks away from announcement.
After hearing Ken Cole singing Stackers strengths and knowledge and another NBL person I am hoping Stacker is on the list and hope gets job.

Reply #270356 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

HO let's follow Richmonds lead in hiring coaches. They have a great track record.

Reply #270360 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The club have already named Goorjian (that they'd at least spoken with him, even if it was unlikely) and the "usual suspects" which are pretty obvious guesses. Then there are a couple of others outside those obvious ones but you wouldn't want to be naming them before you've got too far into interviews.

Reply #270364 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I reckon think outside the square.I see it all the time in industry. If you work within the industry, you get tired eyes looking at the same problem. But, what is a big problem for your industry has already been solved in someone else's industry.

If you get the usual suspects, then nothing will change. Sometimes you need a bold move forward. The problem with Philbert in the end was that all the other coaches knew his moves and he was predictable. Good coaches are un-predictable and un-predictability upsets the game plans of the other coach.

Rather than get a coach from within the NBL suspects, I believe the Sixers would be well advised to consider coaches from other basketball leagues comparable with the NBL. Anyone from Canada, eh?

Reply #270369 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whilst agree with your points Jack Toft maybe just as important is getting the right players and mix of players. Like McLeod has done at Hawks and maybe their drawing power.
Thats why drawn towards Stacker as from all reports has great knowledge of Aust. players and USA scene.
You have to get value for your bucks when on a budget or sticking to salary caps.
Guess my point Isaac is that timewise you would be into serious discussions by now to last 2 or 3 max.

Reply #270373 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sure, they'd be part-way through interviews, but not the end of the world if everyone here doesn't have a list to dispute and crap over. I can't really recall any NBL clubs openly discussing exact shortlists before they'd sorted things out.

When Ninnis was hired, for example, the previous administration didn't openly say that they'd offered to Bevo first - not ideal for the club and for Ninnis. "We couldn't get that guy, but here's our back-up choice."

Same with Molitor last year, AFAIK.

Worst case, you'd think it'll be a known NBL coach with runs on the board (Stacker, Joyce, etc) or a left-field option who could (likewise) do well or bomb out. I've heard of two left-field options who'd be interesting choices.

Reply #270383 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Molloy would be a terrible selection. He is a bit like Tom Mahar. Very good coaching women but could never make the transition to men. Don't think there are any assistants out there selling strong cases so Stacker is probably the best option.

Reply #270391 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I know it is your site Isaac but on this site whilst not officially of course but we did hear that Bevo. had knocked back offer due to the dollars before Ninnis announcement and certainly the announcement of Ninnis was no suprise as posters had strongly indicated that too.
Never said or indicated the club should openly discuss I was just interested as nothing on this site who was in the running if posters had any idea.
I think it is well worth sharing information and views on for the future of the club as another disaster year on court will make it very tough to keep crowds and remain viable.

Reply #270404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If no one (who's willing to say anything) knows, then you'll just have to wait a bit. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out soon enough.

Reply #270406 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mike Dunleavy needs a job! :D

Reply #270410 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Avery Johnson
Jeff Van Gundy to name a couple of others.
They wouldn't take the paycut though and we wouldn't pay it unless the League allowed 3rd party sponsors to help lure them.

Reply #270411 | Report this post

outside the arc  
Years ago

Brendan Joyce is in the final three. 36ers want him, but are worried about fan backlash.

Reply #270419 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

BTM,
Getting the right players is important. I guess the names I have heard from everyone are the same old names

Reply #270424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hiring Joyce would be a moronic decision. While a few of the SOS people seem a bit clueless I still wouldn't think they would be capable of doing something that stupid.

It should be Stacker.

Reply #270425 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Brendan Joyce is in the final three. 36ers want him, but are worried about fan backlash.'

Is this to keep Ballinger happy?

Reply #270428 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Oh please, joyce has proven he is a better coach than Stacker, dont you recall the GF when Hawks defeated the Crocs, stacker at the time had a team loaded with stars. Joyce has a proven record with a team that has a limited budget. I would hire him as long as he doesnt bring his son.

Reply #270429 | Report this post

Why would it be a stupid act to hire Joyce ?

The guy can coach , he can build a team spirit , he gives young players with talent plenty of court time and he knows how to make the most of low budgets.

Stacker always wanted to coach in Melbourne so why go to Adelaide ?

Gordie would be the best option but he is staying so no chance.

Reply #270430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There seems to be some confusion about the previous appointment, Bevo was never offered the job. I think you'll find they spoke to both coaches about $$ but only offered job to ninnis. Thought that should be cleared. B. Joyce is arriving in SA tonight and will be interviewed tomorrow for the job.

Reply #270431 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Sure we could hire Joyce... provided the job description has a couple of provisions.

Prior Experience - Must have assaulted at least one fan and allienated many others.

Preffered Attributes - Arrogance and fluent in bogan.

Save as Jebus McStacker! Save us!

Reply #270434 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Baby Jesus is crying.........

Reply #270436 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

Stacker never defeated joyce when he coached against him I am pretty sure, so really case closed there. Joyce will bring the work ethic and develope players our guys will be accountable for once on the court, go for joyce sos

Reply #270439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look go for joyce and nake every other club laugh or be very happy

Reply #270440 | Report this post

aw  
Years ago

I agree Joyce is much better than all names mentioned, the clause should be though without his son. Not that SOJ is a bad player i think its not best for the both of them. Joyce over stacker anyday for me.

Reply #270442 | Report this post

Agree with AW - do not bring SOJ - never good to bring family to work .

Reply #270451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do people forget how much he messed up the Hawks towards the end there and alienated himself and his family in that town? He was accused then of playing his son too much too and look what he did at Gold Coast?

Force fed his son even more minutes even going as far to give his son the team's defensive POTY award last season (who now can't even get a gig with an NBL team), letting his close mate a way past it Shane Heal (potential 36ers assistant coach?) dominate the offence and took the Blaze to the wooden spoon despite having far more talent than a couple of other teams. He seriously abused the hell out of a basketball jounalist in Perth after a game too last season. Even a WNBL team turned him down last offseason!

I'm genuinely hoping the SOS lemmings are just doing some due diligence because if they sign Brendan Joyce it will end so badly it could lead to the end of the club. The guy is a cancer. He almost killed the Hawks (go and ask a Hawks fan how many fans deserted the club because of him) and tried his hardest to kill the Blaze.

I can't even believe they're actually considering signing him. Have they not followed the NBL over the last 10-15 years? We finished bottom of the ladder, this is just madness.

Reply #270459 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I do not want Joyce or Junior Joyce. Both are useless. No Goorjan due to financial constraints.

I'll be happy with Stacker.

Reply #270463 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There's as many in the main stream media making comments about the AFL as there is players.

SOS seem a little media shy ?

Reply #270464 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Joyce on my flight from Sydney yesterday morning. Changed into a suit half way across. No sign of SOJ (phew....).

Reply #270465 | Report this post

aw  
Years ago

annom, 270359, gosh u talk rubbish. Its easy to highlight negatives and talk crap!

Joyce has won a championship with the hawks and runner up twice, made the finals consectively for many years with that squad.

At the Goldcoast they made the finals in the first year, pretty amazing effort, the second year, i agree, hiring shane heal was questionable, but they had injuries throughout the year.

As mentioned, by defence whens games, family dont work well together, bring joyce with out daniel joyce and the 36ers are bound to have some success.

Reply #270469 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whilst not too sure getting Joyce is a great idea as right coach or Sixers marketing but although call him and Stacker as recycled that in itself not bad as key these days with no big money about you have to get right Aust. players and having knowledge of or contacts with have to help than a outsider who has to rely on SOS info.
Good at least getting some information whats happening in the pursuit of new coach.
Whilst admire peoples loyalty to SOS group and would not want any information that may interfere with process .
Cant see why as A did in saying Joyce in top 3 could not be said or Joe Blow has a interview today.
Simple fact is this is a basketball site that survives on hits etc and Sixers posts create the most interest .
I visit this site to keep up with whats happening in NBL etc and would hope to hear who new coach is on this site before hearing on FM radio like Scottys sacking.

Reply #270471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get some players before worrying about coach.

Reply #270475 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Players wont come with certain coaches...that's half the problem...

Reply #270477 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

AW, while I generally agree with not focussing on the negatives, I think anon makes a fair point on this occasion in raising Joyce's meltdown at the Hawks. I am very concerned about the Sixers hiring a guy who managed to so alienate himself from the Hawks community, after being so successful there previously.

In the end, I will get behind whoever SOS appoints, since they have access to more info about the candidates than I ever will, but I would definitely feel happier about certain candidates rather than others.

From the candidates I have seen listed, Stacker certainly seems like the least risky choice.

Reply #270492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

face it all reality if Joyce came here and the team was sucessful all the points raised would be very quickly forgotten by all and sundry.

I'd personally prefer Joyce over Stacker, tougher nut and if we keep Gilchrist you need someone forceful to bring him or the likes of him into line.

I'd be happy to go down the track of a college coach like Dunlap experience Dunlap laid a lot of the ground work for a very sucessful run by the team that others inherited.

Would have loved Gordie but don't think he will budge from the Gong. Alan Black would be another I'd go with but when it is all said and done whoever coaches if the team is winning all previous criticism will fly out the window cause we all love winners.

Reply #270497 | Report this post

back  
Years ago

heard that dmac would be a great coach but i think we should consider him as a assistant

Reply #270499 | Report this post

bada bing  
Years ago

I was on a flight from Melbourne to Adelaide today only to see Guy Molloy board and be met at the gate by a sixers delegate. Must have an interview today.

Reply #270505 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Sheesh!! I reckon Phil would be a better choice..!! :D

Reply #270513 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Anyone know if Mark Price is available?

Reply #270515 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

If Ian Stacker is given the go-ahead, it will be cya later as a member. I remember him at Geelong Supercats. For litigationary reason, I wont go into depth but the guy is 'a hands full'.

Im not keen on him, anyone else maybe

Reply #270542 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Whilst no announcement has been made and no one really knows who the next coach will be, most of the talk is about Stacker and Joyce. Would most people be that excited at the prospect of either of these coaches coming on board. I Really hope SOS have left their options wide open because if these are the only candidates available, then its going to be a long, long off season. Just to prove a point, neither of these are involved in the grand final at present. Neither of them were good enough. They are both good coaches but are they the best? Why not look overseas, particularly USA. Choose the coach and then let them choose the 2 imports that they are familiar with and will come here to play. The standard of professional basketball in USA is far more superior than it is here so you would think that the coaches coach to achieve that superior level.

Reply #270545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, because grand final coaches are going to be available for interviewing.... I think it safe to say that grand final coaches will usually stay with the team they were at, all things being equal. The only point that proves is how ridiculous some of EC's posts are.

The main idea of the above post though, yeah, i'd be happy with either of those, obviously as long as SoJ didn't come.

Reply #270566 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon, #270566
You are full of s..t and just show your ignorance. How about the statement about SOS leaving their options open. Does that not suggest that they would wait to see what these 2 are going to do? For a start there is no guarantee Wollongong is back in the league next season. If you want to be that pedantic about my post, when was the last time Stacker or Joyce won a championship? Perhaps you can look at it a little beyond this current championship, but no, people like you have to have it spelled out point by point as you don't have the brain to think outside the square.

Reply #270619 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

As of Friday, it was down to 4.

Reply #270797 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Elite who do you think were the four or are you not able to say

Reply #270801 | Report this post

usa connection  
Years ago

i like stacker - my dealings with him have been excellent - and i like what he will bring to basketball in addition to the the 36ers for us here in SA.

he has the inside on other decent programmes and good overseas networks.

Reply #270807 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

so its mid march now, does anyone know when we should expect to hear who our new coach is? i keep reading everything hoping it has been selected yet.

im with bretts the man, who do you think the four are elite??

Reply #270884 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In today's paper (Boti Nagy) article - mostly about Luke Schenscher being in Adelaide next week and could play here, perth or overseas - undecided.
Our coach will be named , next week.

(Probably about right - with free agents 1 April and a tourny here the week after - where you MIGHT see a player that you like, playing here in ADL, for a week)

Reply #270906 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

bretts the man - I dont have sources in high places. It was by chance a conversation occurred on the golf course on Friday just gone......with 2 Sixers players.

Reply #271097 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754