Jack Toft
Years ago

R1: ABL Action

Ok, ABL season kicks off this weekend and in the absence of a thread, let's look at the games:
SAT NIGHT
Mavs - Bearcats @ Mt Barker
Women: All over by half time - easy win to the bearcat girls. Sam could have an early shower at half time and they would still win.
Men: Davo suits up for the 'cats, Doddy for the Mavs. Reckons the men will make it a clean sweep for the bearcats. Celebrations at Maccas on the way home for Westies.

Panthers - Sabres @ Marion
Women: Panthers will miss last season's MVP. Reckon another one sided game.
Men: Hard to see why the men wouldn't make it a clean sweep for the Sabres. Sabres 2-0.

Warriors - Eagles @ St Clair
First time an ABL game played at St Clair?
Women: Eagles just too strong. Warrior girls will be hoping for the final siren by quarter time.
Men: You don't have to be called Brad to played for the Eagles, but it helps. Once again, I reckon the visitors will go 2-0.

Lions - Flames @ Starplex
Women: A different Lioness team this season will put up a valiant fight against the Norwood Lightning, but fitness will be their undoing when Norwood pile on points in the final quarter. Will be closer than Norwood thinks.
Men: Lots of pressure on the Flames to three-peat. Reckon their campaign will get off to a rocky start. Lions appear deeper and will push Flames. Flames budded by 3.

SUN
Tigers - Rockets @ Morphett Vale
New courts, new keys, new canteen.
Women: Reckon could go either way. Rockettes took honours 2-0 last season. Could ruin the party for the Tigers. Once again fitness will be the key to the win.
Men: No Erik, but prodigal sons for both teams have returned. Once again will be a close game, Rockets by 2.

Overall, I reckon it'll be a good round for away teams.

Topic #22506 | Report this topic

Detroit  
Years ago

Good preview Jack.

Would have to agree with all but one prediciton.

Centrals men over Norwood by 10.

Reply #270372 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Good one Jack. Who has returned for North and Tigers?

Reply #270377 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great work Jack!

Reply #270380 | Report this post

MadeInThe'Laide  
Years ago

Picking Centrals over 'back to back' Champions Norwood?

Jeez, it must have been a looooong offseason :/

Reply #270388 | Report this post

Lenovo  
Years ago

Dont agree with the South V Sturt girls game and the Southern V North game either.

Sturt dont have Marino and Bowley is not get fit due in hip injury. Think it will be closer than most think.

Southern v North - Tigers are going to struggle this year. Import not to make too much of a difference. With North have Boyd, Hill and Williams I predict a 20+ point win Norths way.

Reply #270397 | Report this post

PoormansJordan  
Years ago

So what game would be the game of the round? I was considering going to watch the Norwood v Centrals game to check out both imports but now i've heard that Cooper/Krause/Thompson are all out for Norwood.
Sturt I hear have Holmes and Ng playing so they would be good to watch but it is against South!
Again Forestville v Woodville would be good to see both of their imports but it's at St Clair for god's sake!
And i'm definitely not driving all the way up to Mt Barker, not with today's fuel prices!!!

Reply #270402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not driving to Mt Barker but you were thinking about Starplex??

I assume you live in the far northern suburbs

Reply #270405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know why we have games on a Sunday and not all games on a Saturday night. I don't see the logic in this!

Reply #270413 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

logic at BSA oxymoron

great write up Jack - finally a little bit of promotion - how hard is it - get this into advertiser come on promote the games -

Reply #270415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs men to get up

Reply #270449 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

There should be a bit of a write up in Saturday's paper is my guess, so stay tuned...

Reply #270472 | Report this post

Black Cat  
Years ago

"SUN
Tigers - Rockets @ Morphett Vale
New courts, new keys, new canteen.
Women: Reckon could go either way."

hahaha Classic!

Reply #270486 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

So how long are Krause/Thompson/Cooper out for? I heard they picked up an American to help with the loss of these guys?

Reply #270490 | Report this post

D'lin  
Years ago

MadeInThe'Laide,

Not sure if you were taking notice of last season, but the Lions Men took home the bacon last time the 2 teams played by 19. This game will still be a big one, even with the Big 3 not playing for the Flames(unfortunately). If the Lions can hold Webber and Matthews they "should" win, but you can never say never with Norwood, true hearts.

Reply #270533 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Flames definite underdogs on Saturday night

Reply #270534 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

The Lions preseason form looks good (did'nt they beat Mt Gambier and Forrestville at Millicent?), but Jacob Templeton will be a big loss.

Reply #270538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south have new girls

Reply #270598 | Report this post

filthy mexican  
Years ago

anon 598
worst post ever

Reply #270599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WEST VS MAVS Women: All over by half time - easy win to the bearcat girls. Sam could have an early shower at half time and they would still win.

Umm, Jack, you got it wrong... Sammy had to play the whole match... Madgen scored 27, Wilson 21. West got up by 3 in overtime.

Reply #270632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood men smashed Centrals by 31 pts. Norwood women also smashed the Centrals ladies by over 50.

Norwood men shot the lights out, pity they didnt shoot the a/c out as it was freezing at Starplex. Centrals import looked average, and he did a LeBron style crouch down 5 slapping thing with the military salute which looked so gay. He is about 20kg overweight and just not impressive at all. All Norwood players played well, flat out run and gun all night as they ran the home team off there own floor.

Reply #270634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah man u got it so wrong! that was a good game by the mavs girls

Reply #270637 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

I made the trip out to Starplex for the Lions v Flames game. Despite the outcome, I actually thought it was a good game to watch.

The Flames got out to an early lead mostly through defensive pressure, good ball movement and the ability to knock down pretty much every shot that came to them, from anywhere on the court.
Centrals struggled early, and weren't able to capitalize on early opportunities. This led to a big 26 point deficit to end the 1st quarter, a margin with wouldn’t get down lower than about 13 points for the rest of the game.
Centrals put up a bit of a fight towards the end but it was too little too late. The result was set from about the midway point of the 2nd quarter and the Flames ran out 31 point winners: 107 - 76

Reply #270641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought i was the only one that thought the centrals import sucked... obviously not

Reply #270642 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL
Looks like Mavs girls might have a bit of bite!

Made that same trip to Starplex as well to watch what I would have thought was the game of the round. Norwood shot the lights out from the three point line.

Was a pretty good game, but Lions lost it in Q1. Defence was wooden and the Flames burnt them.

Reply #270643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

impressive win by the flames without a legit 4 or 5 man. could be a long year ahead for the lions

Reply #270652 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Flames were clinical in their demolition. Played hard man on man D to stop Lions from using their advantage - they were a significantly taller and stronger team than the Flames, yet the Flames out rebounded them when necessary. Stats say Lions got more, but they got the easy ones..

Rupert's boys will be hard to beat this year - MARS will be the "House of Pain" this season. I'll be suprised if thy drop a game there.

Rupert back for an assistant coaches role at the Sixers?

Reply #270653 | Report this post

Hmmm?  
Years ago

Lions men tried hard but almost impossible to get back from such a disheartening start to the game, and Flames from the 3 point line- wow! But true to their names the Lion- hearted ones will be back!

Reply #270663 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

Sabre Womens handled the Panthers easily. Without their 2 stars, a great allround performance by Sturt saw them take a 22 point win.

All did not look well for the Panther girls as their new recruit took contested shot after contested shot.

Sabre Men ran out winners over their Panther counterparts. Ng and Daly leading the way. Withotu Holmes or Marucs Ng, things look well ahead for another promesing year.

Only question of the night was. Why did Pilkington sit for so long. He dominted the first half and gave the Sabres bigs real problems. Then didn't play the last quarter. Why?

Reply #270679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JACK TOFT, mavs girls have more then bite

Reply #270814 | Report this post

big ticket  
Years ago

Im with secret sabre on this one pilkington had a massive 1st half and sat for some unknown reason in the 2nd they need him and blight on the court, to cause damage for opposing teams!
Huge weekend for the panthers!!!!!!!!

Reply #271065 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"JACK TOFT, mavs girls have more then bite"

I do enjoy the challenge of an anon poster with poor english having a go.

May I ask. What are you talking about??? they have more, then bite? what do they have more of?

Are you trying to say the Mavs girls have some bite this year?

Maybe they do, or maybe there could be wobbygongs with sharper teeth and more aggressive attitude. Who knows?

West are a champion team and to take it into OT shows the Mavs girls did have a good game on Sat. night. Well done. Can you sustain it for a season?

Reply #271068 | Report this post

Jack, O/T goes for 5 minutes... Southern only had to hang on for 2 and couldn't.

Reply #271109 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ouch,

2 minutes can be a long time on a basketball court, and sometimes a long time elsewhere

Reply #271134 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Don't let them get to you Jack.
Hope you can give another great preview this week!

Reply #271145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out the brain on Brad! Congrats Toft you are a winner!

Reply #271147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754