Isaac
Years ago

NBL Grand Final decider: Cats vs Hawks

Wollongong ahm Hawks (2nd, 16-12) @ Perth Wildcats (1st, 17-11)
Friday 12 March - 7:00PM (local)
Challenge Stadium, Perth

The NBL Grand Final series will go to a final and deciding game on Friday when the Wildcats host the Hawks at Challenge Stadium. Since the NBL moved to a best-of/multi-game format for the Grand Final in 1986 there have been fifteen previous occasions that teams have played the maximum number of matches and nine occasions when the Grand Final didn't go to the limit. The most recent instance of the series going the distance was last season, when the Melbourne Tigers took the South Dragons to the full five games before the Dragons eventually took the title.

Of the 15 Grand Final series that have gone the limit, the home team won the decider on nine occasions, whilst there have been six instances of the road team taking the victory and the title.
The Perth Wildcats have twice lost an NBL title on their home floor. The first time was against the Melbourne Tigers in 1993 and the most recent was versus the Sydney Kings in 2003.

Perth have hosted Grand Final games on 11 occasions previously, and have a 6-5 win-loss record including their Game One win against Wollongong this year. Wollongong are just 1-4 in Grand Final games played on the road, their lone win being a three-point victory over Townsville in 2001.

This game will be the seventh NBL Grand Final game ever played at Challenge Stadium in Perth. The Wildcats have gone 3-3 in championship matches played at The Jungle.

In the 39 games that the Hawks have played in Perth in their history, they have won on just six occasions. The Wildcats are currently on an eight-game winning streak at home against the Hawks, with the last Wollongong victory at Challenge Stadium coming back on 5 November 2005, when the Hawks recorded a 27-point win (their biggest ever in Perth).

All-time, the Hawks and Wildcats have played each other on 78 occasions, with Perth enjoying a 49-29 win-loss advantage.

Wollongong’s Cameron Tragardh bounced back from his sub-par Game One performance to score 28 points in Game Two. That effort sees him leading all players from both teams in scoring in the Grand Final series. The top five scorers thus far in the series are below:

2010 NBL Grand Final Series – Leading Scorers (average ppg)
16.5 – Cameron Tragardh (Wollongong)
13.0 – Kevin Lisch (Perth)
12.0 – Shawn Redhage (Perth)
11.0 – Luke Martin (Wollongong)
10.5 – Tim Coenraad (Wollongong)

While Tragardh is clearly in with a good chance of winning the Larry Sengstock Medal for the Grand Final series’ Most Valuable Player, his teammate and former Sengstock Medallist Glen Saville has had two average performances thus far by his own lofty standards. Saville is averaging just 5.0 points thus far in the series, which is significantly below the 11.0 he had returned in his 11 previous Grand Final games and the 10.8 he averaged in the regular season.
Perth are paying $1.20 for the win, and Wollongong a longish $4.50. The line is -10.5.

Hawks +10.5 is my bet. I think the Cats will get it, but not by double figures.

Topic #22507 | Report this topic

Rooboy  
Years ago

Good to see Young and Cat take charge in the rooms after the loss the other night told the young guys to learn from it and forget it move on a get it done at home.

Cats will be breathing fire , Redage to redeem himself and Cat to finish of his career in style

Cats by 20 points

Reply #270400 | Report this post

campbell  
Years ago

people's thoughts....
3 game series or 5 game series for grand finals what is better?

in think 5 games is the go

????

Reply #270408 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

Has to be 5 IMO.

Reply #270420 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

I like best of 3.

I hate 1 game eliminations because I feel they remove a lot of the science of the game by removing the ability to make adjustments from one game to the next. This 'chess game' is one of the best things about basketball playoffs in my opinion.

I think best of 5 drags on a bit too long and while there is always drama (its a Grand Final, so there is always drama), I feel it can get somewhat stale.

But I think best of 3 is the way to go. A best of 3 ramps the tension to a greater deal because you only have to wait one game before its do or die for a team. Pretty good stuff.

Reply #270421 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Wildcats to get the Win with a huge crowd going its gonna be loud, it will be like a sixth man on the court. Wildcats by 10 a big game by Cat to mark his last game in the NBL!

Reply #270423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth by plenty.

Reply #270426 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

5 game series would be great but most people aren't bball junkies like us. I'm stoked it has gone to 3 & the Wildcats will win it by 13. Lets pray the Cairns Taipans live for next season.

Reply #270441 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

i got a weird feeling the hawks will get up wiv sav and campell to play massive games. call me stupid but i think its just meant to be a wollongong win

Reply #270450 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I wont call you stupid at all. It would be the full cinderella story & it is possible.

Reply #270454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks only chance, limit TO's and execute like crazy.

Reply #270474 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Best of three is much better than single game elimination. Has more of a story AND gives both teams some finals income. I think best of five is worth it for the same reason.

Reply #270480 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

Five game series take way too long. Maybe it is because my team had supposedly played its last game, but last years five game series between dragons and tigers lacked competitiveness, correct me if im wrong, but didnt each team just win by 20 points on their home courts until the homecourt advantage decided it?

People still doubting the hawks, the more doubters the better chance we have at winning it. To me it seems like Perth have everything to lose and the Hawks have everything to win.

Reply #270483 | Report this post

AOA  
Years ago

AOA

Reply #270521 | Report this post

Rooboy  
Years ago

Only 3 hours to go im pumped i feel a big game from Red coming to pay us back for a bad year

LETS GO CATS bring home the glory

Reply #270525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if the game will be streamed anywhere, if so, what time?

Reply #270531 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Cats should win and get the flag. I reckon the Hawks played their grand final earlier in the week

Reply #270535 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

why are these idiots booing Luke Martin??? Wagstaff just smacked him in the face off the ball. Hammer saw it but won't say anything. Pissweak fox sports.

Reply #270537 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

For Redhage's sake, I hope they lose. He is one hell of a nasty person even when he played SEABL for North West Tassie. Plus he is a cry baby when things dont go well and I hiope tonight that happens. Will pay to see tears in his eyes. The mule!

Reply #270541 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

interesting to see the refs allow the clock not to restart and the last play of the third qtr, a 3 hit by perth. seems like the score bench wanted them to win. Any other venue, and that might have been different. Just hope the supporters of the wong get out without being spat on. A true wildcats tradition!

Reply #270543 | Report this post

fezlington  
Years ago

yeah baby...We are the Champs!!!!

Reply #270544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done perth... you get a championship with a
" * " next to it.

Reply #270546 | Report this post

william 34  
Years ago

that score bench "mistake" was a dagger. there was no coming back from that

Reply #270547 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

That was a disgrace! he traveled too.

Booing Luke Martin and Luke Schenscher when they went up onto the stage = extremely poor form.

Reply #270549 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Why were people booing Luke Schenscher? Wasn't the game in Perth? Do they boo their own players over there or something?

Reply #270553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ah you twits... they are not booing... they are saying LUUUUUKKKEEE!!!

Reply #270554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think they were saying "LUUUUUUUKE" like the lakers do for luke walton..

wouldnt blame them for booing him though :P

Reply #270555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was there, it was lUUUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEE. there was no booing. he said in the post match booze party, he wants to return to perth. it's either perth or europe.catt retierd, young unlikely to return but lish is a big chance of coming back,.

Martyn
Lish? if not ebi ere?
Weigh
Redhage
Luke? or an import 5

That'll be next season lineup.

Reply #270556 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

The only thing that saves me from throwing up is Lisch winning MVP. Hawks brave but too many TO's. They have had a mighty season and did well to force a decider.

Reply #270557 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Well done Perth

Reply #270567 | Report this post

Marlo Stansfield  
Years ago

That was vomit inducing umpiring and The Hawks must br filthy. Lisch hits two 3's in the 3rd that were clearly travels, the last on the buzzer was the biggest crap bench & umpire officiating i've ever seen. So ther'es six points and instead of being down 15 at the 3rd qtr they are down 9.

Wagstaff gave Martin a left hook that could easily had him sent from the game but not one of the three Ump's saw the off the ball hit. AND then CAT comes in and pushes the Ump from behind and the stupid Umpire is facing Martin who has his hands in the air. If this was the NBA Wagstaff and Cat are gone. Another sequence has CAT throwing the ball directly into Martins guts after a whistle - another flagrant.
Robbins could've easily had a couple of T's as well.
The nBL should be shamed about how the series was officiated overall.

I agree that Gordie didn't coach well in the 3rd. He should've called a time out when they were down 5 and the full court pressure was causing turnovers - Rhys Martin looked very tired and Gordie should've put Sav and Campbell in the back court to ease the pressue.
in a decisive 3 minutes Martin either turned the ball over or wouldn't get the Hawks into their offence until there was 9 seconds to go on the clock and it was a one pass shot offence.
Add Lisch's 6 cheat points and its game over.

Credit to Perth for their defense, they have an awesome side and were the best team in the NBL but Gee that umpiring was crap.

Reply #270571 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I love it how you guys decide who you hate the most then try and justify it by making a whole lot of shit up. Fact is, the Cats outscored the Hawks by 30 from midway through the second to the first few minutes of the fourth. Yeah, reffing, cheating, flagrant....fuck off, you're all full of shit.

Reply #270581 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

"why are these idiots booing Luke Martin??? Wagstaff just smacked him in the face off the ball. Hammer saw it but won't say anything. Pissweak fox sports."

You need to start watching and listening before making such foolish statements. Heal clearly said "I don't want to say anything but one little fella threw a straight right cross". Do you know why he said that? It's because Martin punched Wagstaff in the mouth. And we're "idiots" for booing him. Far out, what is wrong with you?

Martin was more than happy to hold Wagstaffs arms for as long as possible. In trying to get his arms free (which I am pretty sure Wagstaff is entitled to do) he caught Martin high, so Martin punched.

BUT OH NOES CATT CAME IN WITH A FLAGRANT AND DA STUPD REF DI'DNT SEE!!1!

Reply #270586 | Report this post

Marlo Stansfield  
Years ago

TC2,

(Mod: Baleeted.)

Wagstaff thru the first one....which you admitted "he caught Martin high". (Mod: Baleeted.)

What are your thoughts on the travels....(Mod: Baleeted.)

(Mod: Please, at least make a token effort to discuss a topic like an adult.)

Reply #270591 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Yep, brilliant comments there. What exactly is too easy? For you to come on a forum and mouth off? I'm impressed.

I'm watching the replay now. I am sure they are travels so I will admit they are when I get to them. However, I won't completely make up a version of events or miss half the story for convenience sake.

Tell me, why did the ref go straight to Luke Martin and protect him?

Reply #270592 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Hey Marlo, I just timed the cheating three from Lisch a few times using my iPhone stopwatch. I'm getting 1.6 or 1.7 seconds, from the time he catches it to the time he releases it. Feel free to do the same yourself.

Reply #270597 | Report this post

Marlo Stansfield  
Years ago

Hey TC-Poo,

Watch his feet.

I'm asking you (again) about the travel(S).

Reply #270602 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Sorry for mistaking "Luke" for "Boo" guys, good to hear you weren't booing your own player, as disappointing as he's been.

TC2, no I don't recall that quote from Hammer, but I replayed the one angle that actually showed it all (the original) about 5 times. Martin was holding Wagstaff's arm (should've been a foul and stopped there), Wagstaff pulled his arms away and popped him in the face. Martin didn't even have time to react, the refs (and Catt) were on the case in a second.

Congratulations on the win, I don't think anyone can say you weren't the better team, or that the refs/scorers won you the game, as bad as they were. But please, don't try to tell me he got that shot off within 1.7 seconds, or that it wasn't a travel. Come on now.

Reply #270606 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Yes, it was a travel, but it was also 1.7 seconds. Time it, if you want to see it for yourself.

I'm not sure what you mean by Luke Martin not having time to react. His hit on Wagstaff was in retaliation - he knew exactly what he was doing. Heal mentioned his name a few times, not Wagstaff's. The way Butler was in on it, dragging Martin away, says to me that he saw it also and did nothing about it.

Reply #270617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marlo TC2 is an expert at rubbing everyone here the wrong way, about the only thing hes expert on nobody likes him here or other forums he talks ^$@* on.

Reply #270618 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

hahahahahaha its always the anon's who want to talk tough. Which other forums, anon?

You saw the game did you, anon? Have I said anything that was incorrect? Xztatik seems to be ok with the discussion.

And really, siding with someone who tells pathetic "yo mama" jokes at the first chance says more about you than it does about me.

Reply #270620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your comment changes nothing that isn't already common knowledge about how much of a mental retard you are and nobody can be bothered getting into a discussion with you, you just bait and antagonize until you get a reaction- pretty lame.
We've all seen the threads where you come out with the same sort of lame cheap shots cause you're pathetic and a bully who has a cry when you don't get your own way.

Reply #270623 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Cmon, no need for name calling, regardless of that last 3 ....Perth wouldve gone into the last qtr with a 12 point lead

That was enough to win the game

Turnovers cost Wollongong the game

There was alot of physical moments in that game, and previous games

Davidson threw a few that were never called as well

Reply #270625 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

And who are you, anon? Aren't you doing the exact same thing? You weren't even in the discussion yet you come in to have a cheap shot as well. That is pathetic.

Feel free to comment on the game.

Reply #270626 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Just ignore it TC2

Reply #270627 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Well I'm assuming you were there in person TC2 so I can't argue with that if you saw him throw a punch. But all I can say is it wasn't on the Fox broadcast and I find it pretty hard to see where it would've fit in. But I'll take your word for it.

As for the Lisch three, I didn't keep the recording so I can't time it, but it looked like about 2.5 seconds it took for him to get it off. Regardless, it was pretty poor form for the scorers to take over a second to start the clock, and for the refs not to review it.

Reply #270635 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

It was definitely on the Fox coverage. I watched it several times today. I just had another look and it's clear as day - it happens right after Wagstaff clocked him!! I understated Wagstaff's contact, there was more than a flailing arm in that one. Both lucky not to be thrown.

I was shocked to see it come in at 1.7 as well but I did it a few times. A guy at Ozhoops slowed it down and got a frame rate calculation and he was getting 1.6s and 1.7s too. But you are right, the time has to start at the correct time of him catching the ball. I don't think the refs are allowed to review it though.

Sorry for baiting you earlier but I am a mental retard and my mum wasn't putting out so I got angry at you to make me feel better.

Reply #270638 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

And whoever this Anon is, he is absolutely gutless for not putting his name to his posts.

Reply #270639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^$#(ing build a bridge and get over it

Reply #270649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just made the mistake of reading what the South Australian retards over at Hoops thought of the game. And I thought 2sc945 was a slowie?"

Reply #270650 | Report this post

Marlo Stansfield  
Years ago

Fez,

Lisch also hit a 3(top of the key) on a travel that even Gaze called.

That would make it a 9 point game with a qtr to go and not 15. BIG difference.

I agree totally the hawks were hurt by tiurnovers and Gordie not calling a time out.
However the umpiring was crap and I'm calling them out.
TC2 is such a tool he still hasn't addressed the travels or his admittance Wagstaff thru an elbow and should've been ejected, Cat should've had at the very least an unspotamanlike and The Hawks are in it with Lisch's travels called.

Reply #270654 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Um, I admitted it was a travel, and I said I understated Wagstaff's contact, although no elbow was thrown. I don't understand why I have to continue to acknowledge this and that when you got the version of events completely wrong and haven't said a thing about Martin throwing a punch. Why didn't you mention that?

Reply #270659 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Come on, Anon, put your name to a post. I know you are pretty gutless but quit acting like a complete vagina. You're giving me shit for stirring the pot but you are doing the same thing. This isn't the first time you have done it. You don't say anything to me on Ozhoops so you must like the fact you can post anonymously here. Doesn't that make you kind of a pussy?

Reply #270661 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I wanted the Hawks to win but you couldn't deny the eventually winner their dues. I'll remember the intensity of both teams in the first half (physicality included), the Gong's awesome effort in the first half, Lisch's shooting (which regardless of how much time was on the clock included a game changing play just for it to fall) and the full court pressure that suffocated the Hawks.

Bottom line, Perth did what was needed to win and the Hawks couldn't handle it.

Finally I remember a point in the commentary (might have been Heal) when it was mentioned the Hawks had only scored 60 something points in a previous game, they had some 48 points at the time. I turned to my brother in law and said "they might only score 20 more points for the game"........I regret saying that now.

Reply #270664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is TC the dumbo named " cussy" on ozhoops? the guy is an utter moron there and by the looks of it, here as well.

Reply #270670 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Wow, two anons having a crack. I'm so proud of you guys.

Reply #270672 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

LETS GO WILDCATS LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all you eastern staters....eat a dick!!!!

Reply #270675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People dont need a name to not like you TC2 has that not registered yet?

Reply #270678 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I'm so hurt, man. I wish so much that a gutless fag like you would actually like me. And all those people at Ozhoops who say they like me, who contact me, who I go to the pub with...they must just be pretending too. I hope you can let them know I am not to be liked so they stop wasting more of their time. You'd be doing them a big favour.

Reply #270681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blowing your own trumpet is pretty desperate !
Nearly wet myself laughing at that

Reply #270686 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

How is it desperate? You're arguing like a primary school kid and your attempts to ridicule me, while you stay safely anonymous, are just pathetic. Is anyone meant to be impressed with your anonymous rants? Do you really think you are sticking it to me while hiding behind your mums dress? I'm surprised you haven't threatened to bash me too, like all you other internet tough guys do.

Reply #270687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not offering to be your shrink even tho you probably need one by telling the world its a worrying pattern that people often want to bash you??

Reply #270697 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Give it a rest, mate. You look stupider every time you post.

Reply #270699 | Report this post

out-of-towner  
Years ago

I dare say that would be you considering how many others are out there who seem to think the same from what you have admitted.
I'm not your mate, not by a long shot.

Reply #270700 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I've admitted what?

Reply #270701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What?

Reply #270709 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Never mind. At least I know you're from the Sunshine Coast now. Hmm, wonder who you might be...

It was tough to spell "agencies" wrong, HAHA

Reply #270711 | Report this post

out-of-towner  
Years ago

Look I've seen your rants here and in the past something needed to be said, granted you've made it clear you can't accept it.
You don't seem like a nice person to me or some others here who have posted.
Stop being a psycho and cyber stalking people b/c you are really starting to look like you have some screws loose so just get over it.

Reply #270714 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

You started it, dickhead. And you got sloppy. Now fuck off because I have made you look like an idiot once again.

Reply #270715 | Report this post

out-of-towner  
Years ago

LOL Once again?
For a start I didn't start anything there were others on this thread who could see the same usual crud starting to come out and called you on it.
I don't think anybody made you judge jury and executioner on the very things you do that you go spastic over.
Get over yourself and stop picking fights with everyone here all the time.
You started it, purlease, I didn't start it, X, an anon and Marlo gave up and that's a pretty childish retort anyway but I bet someone like you just loves all this attention.
Sadly for you, the attention now stops so grow up and get over your issues you always bring to this site.
Don't bother reply I won't even read it.

Reply #270716 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

And no one invited you to jump in again with your poor efforts to have a shot, especially when you remain anonymous. You chose to put yourself in the discussion, all I have done with you is defended myself. If you consider that to be attention seeking then you're an idiot.

As I said earlier on, you have a problem with me but no issue with Marlo saying I was humping my mum and I'm a feral retard. If you're so high and mighty on other peoples behaviour, how the he'll do you condone that?

I really don't care if you like me at all but to make shit up about me to try and discredit me is simply weak.

Reply #270717 | Report this post

Omar Little  
Years ago

I don't get it...TC2 is an anonymous name, its made up. Your hiding behind it.

If the 'anonymous' poster gave themselves the name Barney Rumble you would be happy with that?

Reply #270725 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

No I am not hiding behind it. It's the name I have had from the start. This guy is deliberately removing his regular username to take pot shots so he can safely return to the mix after he has had his say. Not only that, if he comes off looking foolish (which was bound to happen) he doesn't have to lose any credibility for it. It's gutless.

Reply #270730 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Everyone, please make the effort to choose an alias and stick to it. Also, keep your discussions reasonable. There are ways to dispute a point or respond without coming across like a chest-beating imbecile. Play the ball, not the man. This will be a better place for discussing the sport if everyone makes the effort to keep arguments on track rather than devolving into junk about people's mothers.

Reply #270739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how 'bout them wildcats...

Reply #270741 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great win by Perth - thoroughly deserved to win IMO, although I would have loved for the Hawks to win it.

Reply #270742 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:39 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754