Anonymous
Years ago

Can money be earned from playing basketball in Aus

hey guys, i'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right section so hopefully someone can help me out here.

i know guys that play footy and earn a great deal of money from playing just in local leagues. some of these guys are earning $1000 per game. again, this is just for local leagues like suburb vs suburb, NOT at the national or even state level.

does anything similar exist in basketball?

thanks

Topic #22508 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, in my social team, I get paid like $2000 a game....

Reply #270435 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I get free frozen Coke from my mum when I play NBA Jam.

Reply #270437 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

90% of women in the WNBL would be earning less then $1000 a game.

Reply #270448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said, only a few players are being $1k per game. Most likely 1 player per team would be getting $1k (a high skilled marquee type player).

the breakdown for an average suburb club like greenvale would be:

$1k for 1-2 players
$800 for 2 players
$500 for 3 players
$300 for 5 players
$100 for 10 players
$50 for the U18 players that are thinking about playing senior footy.

Reply #270452 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

That's about as much as some ABA teams spend in an entire season!

Reply #270455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not in Victoria!

Reply #270460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TC2 - does you mum run the canteen at Morphett Vale?

Reply #270461 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Out of interest, their is some money in local footy, but as mentioned above, most players get nothing or a token amount which they are expected to spend back over the bar straight after the game.

From my experience, SEABL players at Victorian clubs get paid similar amounts to VFL players.

Reply #270462 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I imagine that many players in the NZ NBL would have day jobs to supplement income. Doubt anyone in our ABL here has a solid income from the ABL alone. Even fringe NBL could be a dangerous zone to be in - not getting enough to set yourself up, but spending enough time that it hampers your studies or alternative career.

Won't name them, but an NBL player I've talked with who had what many would consider to be a very solid career, is a great networker and always has side projects/employment going, said that they wished they'd studied more (even just short courses) while playing to prepare for life after basketball.

Unless you were a top-tier player, you'd want to be investing a lot in property/shares/etc, networking like crazy, and working towards a plan for when your body breaks down at 33-40 and you're out of the league.

Reply #270468 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Most of the people that are earning $1k per game of footy would be very close to playing league football if they had the desire and wanted to do the work

Reply #270470 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

There is nothing even close here in Australia to what footballers get paid. Over the last couple of years there has been an introduction to Country football leagues a points cap (similar to NBL) so instead of clubs in the past recruiting 10 players and paying them all $300 a game, they now try and get the best players possible and recruit say only 3 players and pay them $1000 per game.
In the SEABL there wouldn't be many players who would get paid more than $500 a game and that would probably be for NBL players. Basketball just doesn't have the sponsorship that Football teams get and most Football teams like mentioned above have a bar and players and supporters hang back at the club and drink till late. The fact that we play our games at 8:15pm means that by the time the games finished it's about 10:30pm and everyone would have already gone home.

Reply #270476 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The footy stuff is interesting. A guy i know involved with geelong basketball has been talking up for years the fact that the merger of Country Footy and Netball is going to have a significant impact on women's basketball in the country. I saw him at the pre-season tournament for bigV it appears he was right on the money.

Apparently netballers in Geelong are being paid anything up to $350 per game for 'local league" netball by their footy/netball club. Same thing has apparently caused the demise of Shepparton's women's team in the bigV lower leagues (a team that was for many years an powerhouse in terms of results and produced players like Aneka and Tania Kerr).

The big clubs in suburban and country footy in melbourne pay big money - VCFL estimated in 2003 that country footy clubs spend 40% of their revenue on player payments and that combined their revenue was 20 million.

There are a thousand stories in vic basketball about a good basketballer going to footy for $400 per game, $200 per game etc etc.

Reply #270485 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

sorry guys, shit memory, Went back and checked the report. VCFL says country footy clubs spend 56 million in operating costs and player payments accounts for 30% of that.

http://www.vcfl.com.au/index.php?id=22

But this was back in 2003 and they now all fund netball clubs as well. 30% of 56 million is a lot of bucks for players.

Reply #270488 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

As a basketballer who has gone to play football I can confirmt he big money getting thrown around. I had only been playing for 2 seasons of footy when I was being paid $400 a game and then the following year was offered $650/game. Considering during my basketball career the most I was paid was $150 a game I can now see I should have played a lot more footy!!!
I was never the best player but I did get a chance to play in the SEABL where the top players were getting only about $300 a game, so there is a big difference in money between sports.

Reply #270491 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I have a friend who had a pretty solid 10-12year NBL career, enough to make him a 'restricted' player in the SEABL and he was getting something around $15,000 for his SEABL club.

In the SEABL his club payed him, another NBL veteran & an import. The others played for the "love of the game". There were a lot of long bus trips on weekends...

Reply #270498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really doubt there is any money in netball. who watches netball? even the girls wouldn't be paid anything, let alone guys.

sorry, it's almost laughable that people are getting paid in netball.

Reply #270506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a basketballer and am wondering how people can make the transition to footy?

i guess it wouldn't be that dangerous compared to basketball.

Reply #270507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go and ask former 36ers Dean Brogan, Matt Illman, Jordan Dodman & Peter Hoban just to name a few.

Reply #270508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 506, netball has the highest female participation in australia and according to some tables has the highest participation of any sport in australia over cricket, AFL, rugby, basketball etc. The reason why there is money in netball is down to the huge amount of participation at junior and senior levels, ongoing sponsorship (channel ten, asics, new idea magazine to name just a few) and free-to-air-television rights and also (IMO) better management. Netball Australia has been more realistic about where money comes in, how it is spent, and maintaining longstanding sponsors.....something that the NBL is only just learning.

Reply #270510 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Actually Anon's, the reason that there is now money in 2nd and 3rd tier netball is nothing to do with participation rates, or sponsorship or tv rights (netball gets not tv rights revenue AFAIK - I know they pay TEN HD). the reason there is money in country netball is because in Country Victoria netball and footy have basically merged. therefore the operating principles of the footy clubs have been transferred to their netball section.

The VCFL requires that EVERY footy club have a netball section. The vic state government has over the last 3-5 years funded the construction of hundreds of netball courts next to footy grounds to facilitate this.

Sorry to disappoint you but netball Australia is not particularly flush with cash. the ANZ championship is an expensive joint venuture for example.

Reply #270514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 507 many kids are making a good transition Day, Wingard and Hombsch all made AIS as footballers as well as Davis, Ahmatt Watkins, Shearwood, McGinty all have made state teams or squads of late.

Reply #270518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, I admit I was a bit over zealous with my defence of Netball Asutralia, but it raises my hackles when people are so off-hand about not just netball but womens sport in general. I did not know the VCFL had done that, but good for them for recognising the importance of female participation in any sport and supporting netball. Too bad there is not such a link to basketball (mens or womens). I know the current ANZ league is ambitious but I would like to hope that the public give it some credit rather than dissing it.

Reply #270524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there any money in netball for men?

Reply #270528 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

fair enough anonymous, but I can assure the VCFL's approach was self survival, nothing to do with recognising women's sport. They saw that bringing netball in with footy would bring social outcomes. money over the bar and volunteers.

As I said, my mate predicted some outcomes as early as 2003, and he appears to be seeing all that come true. the merger of footy and netball in country victoria is now doing damage to other women's sport - basketball probably being the first casualty - he was telling me about good female geelong basketballers who will not play bigv with geelong because they earn easier and better money in local netball . Apparently hockey and softball are suffering the same.

And netball generally are stilled pissed about it. their traditional competitions have suffered as a result.

Reply #270569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey bro, do you know if there is money to be made in netball for guys? what about mixed teams?

Reply #270616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mo'onia Gerard was getting 100k a season in her first two seasons in Adelaide. Not sure how much she is getting now three seasons in.
Pretty good money for less than six months work, and a fraction of the games played in a season by NBL and WNBL players. (Thunderbirds have something like 6 or 7 home games a season)

Besides professionalism, The main difference between Netball and Basketball is that Netball generally employ people based on their skill set and what they can bring to better the sport, whereas basketball just seems to pick up all the has beens that nobody else wants.... It's the old adage of paying peanuts and getting monkeys.

You don't see Netball Australia's Communication's manager send three emails in short succession to correct mistakes because he/she can't work out the draw for the finals system unlike some other clown employed by BA.

Reply #271290 | Report this post

hey guys,
My name is Rithvik Thammareddy from Hyderabad,India. I was just wanted to know if players playing in the Waratah league, SBL, QBL BigV and NBL1 get paid how much? and can i sustain getting a college degree in Melbourne and simultaneously play for clubs in the leagues mentioned above.

Thanks.

Reply #752557 | Report this post

hey guys,
My name is Rithvik Thammareddy from Hyderabad,India. I was just wanted to know if players playing in the Waratah league, SBL, QBL BigV and NBL1 get paid how much? and can i sustain getting a college degree in Melbourne and simultaneously play for clubs in the leagues mentioned above.

Thanks.

Reply #752558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is literally $0 in netball for men. Nobody breathing cares about it and there are no semi-professional teams.

Rithvik, many players do both but I doubt you're a NBL1 level player. Everyone in those leagues has a job.

Reply #752579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

579, why do you doubt he's an NBL1 level player. Do you know him?

Reply #752706 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:00 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754