Anonymous
Years ago

Breheny to be named new Lightning Coach

Article on Adelaidenow.com

Topic #22534 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interesting that expressions of interest for coaching were to be submitted to Steve in the first place.

Not saying he is no good at coaching, but I know if I was someone who applied for a job and the guy who received the applications got the job, I would be a little jacked off.

I am sure due process was followed, but in a lot of cases apart from justice being done, it must seen to be done.

Reply #270888 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

This was in yesterdays paper.

Reply #270890 | Report this post

Ex-PPDO  
Years ago

so let me get this straight......
He is the coach and CEO?

Reply #270895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it true he will not be offering Foley, the captain, a contract??

Reply #270896 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

The article does state that he will be the first Coach/CEO and that two players who may not be offered contracts again will be Foley and Duke.

Reply #270898 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

As if Foley needed any more reasons to go and play for the Caps next season..

Reply #270905 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

More to the lightning than just Steve Breheny...This is running a little deeper than we are getting fed...

Reply #270907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies in advance as this might be a dumb question but why would he not sign Foley? Or Duke?

Reply #270909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money, Vince is make cut backs everywhere all decisions from now on will be based on what's cheapest for Vince.

Reply #270911 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

You are a little "jack toft", are you not?

Reply #270912 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

GOOD GOOD decision.
Excellent coach.

Reply #270913 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nice pick up Justin.

Reply #270915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can hardly begrudge Vince running a tight ship when it'd be a bit of a charity case.

As for Foley and Duke, I know nothing about the situation, but the impression I got from Boti's article and Breheny's quote was that some players didn't seem overly committed to the franchise and SJ would rather risk getting inferior/other players who'd demonstrate more passion/drive for the team?

Reply #270918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone that has ever been involved with womens basketball, particularly at that level, would know that some players are able to cause more trouble than good amongst a group. Its detrimental when one is the captain...

Reply #270919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of all the players in the Lightning Squad, why would he target Foley and Duke to get rid of? Can anyone shed some light?

Reply #270920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably more to do with the fact the Lightning won't be able to pay Duke, Foley or Camino, Woosnam and Hammond what they got last year.

Boti would have chosen Duke and Foley in particular as he's been bagging the two of them (and their supposed special treatment from the previous coach) for at least 18 months.

Reply #270927 | Report this post

Charon 63  
Years ago

if Boti allergic to special treatment he must first look at the lil princess ! has he the balls though ?

Reply #270929 | Report this post

enonymous  
Years ago

The only problem is that lil princess is paying the bills

Reply #270930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think there's any chance the Lightning won't include Marino next year so no reason to mention her in the article was there?

Reply #270931 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

IMO this is a move that opens the Lightning and Brehney up to a lot of criticism if it doesn't work out.

Jack - I'm not Justin, but I probably should change my tag as I took it straight over from ozhoops a few years ago without checking he had it first on here.

Reply #270932 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Might be a good idea, don't want to be confused with JS - even though he is a nice guy

Reply #270934 | Report this post

TraceyB  
Years ago

Lightning may have to resort to players who take pride in playing for Adelaide and are not here because of the large money Vince was offering initially to buy a good team.
The team may not be as good on paper, but by all having the same team goal and not playing for stats i am sure their results will improve.

Reply #270939 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Foley is more than welcome to come east. Canberra ain't all that far from Bega.

Graffy, get it done..

Reply #270950 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

To any applicants for the position, it may look a bit dodgy that the CEO took the applications and then appointed himself to the position, but there are several factors that have to be taken into consideration. Firstly, the CEO has to put up a very convincing case to the board in order to undertake that decision. Secondly, the calibre of the applications may not have been of the standard expected and thirdly, if Vince is making cost cutting measures, could be any decent coach would have demanded more money than he could pay. With Breheny already on the payroll as CEO, the additional cost (if any) to take on the head coach role would have have been very cost effective. Also, whilst he is the CEO, he does possess other talents, one being coaching. Why not utilise all his skills instead of just one?

Reply #270958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Phil will be his Assistant?

Reply #270963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Board? EC why comment on something you clearly have no idea about? Clearly CEO for the Lightning simply means the face of the admin. Vince is the real CEO and the only one who makes the decisions (EC in case you missed it there is no board). Breheny I expect was told by Vince to take the coach job because the list of applicants for the part tone role that the lightning coaching role is was clearly pretty poor.

Reply #270966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Foley was offered a healthy contract last season by the capitals and turned it down (not sure who in there right mind would!)There roster seems pretty full now. Maybe Dandenong?

Reply #271010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...Canberra only recruit Opals ;-)

Reply #271033 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754