The Truth
Years ago

ABL STARS

Going of the first two rounds which players do you think deserve a look at by the 36ers ????

I think
Jye Watson Wilkey again and vandenburg can really play some serious defense something the sixers need...

Bungey..tall and has potential to burn

Dix should have been looked at some time ago in my opinion he can seriously play...

Some of the young kids from north Tom rowe and jordan kies .. can really play

also Chris clausen young kid from centrals destroys teams in under 20s and he holds his own in ABL he has alot of potetial

Topic #2255 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

None of those people will get a lookin at the 36ers, excluding Dix, who has already turned them down before. None of them are even close.

Reply #25407 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Have to agree with Libertine here. Big difference between ABL and NBL and besides - Watson is an import.

Vandenberg should've been in the Sixers all along if you ask me, but I'm not the one making the calls.

Reply #25412 | Report this post

OLD BULL  
Years ago

Agreed Moses, Reggie is a phenomenal all-round player and great court leader. Not to mention a belly full of fire and the ability to play 1 - 4 (and 5 too if you need) And what a great role model for indigenous Australians!!! Reckon the 6ers could have played their cards better with him.

Along with Reggie, Jason DIX, Brad DAVIS, Cameron WILSON and Oscar FORMAN would be great openers with Darren NG, Brad GERLACH, Keith KRAUSE, Jye WATSON, Andrew PUDDIFOOT, Nick HAMBOUR and Todd GOWER as backups.

For the future you would have to have a good look at Gary BIRMINGHAM, Josh WOOD, Eric BURDON Tom McKENZIE, Mark FULLER, Michael ZORICH, Zane REEVES, Joe MENCEL, Brad SULLIVAN, Bronson KIES, Michael ZORICH and Shane CROTHERS ......as their minder.

Reply #25429 | Report this post

OLD BULL  
Years ago

Of course, that's got nothing to do with the 36ers, but just a couple of teams that would be great to coach.

Reply #25430 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

Do you guys give wilkey much of chance at getting anthor look at the sixers ??? .... and whats this bout Jye being an import he is from melbourne...

Reply #25434 | Report this post

libertine i hear you had a stellar career as a norwood junior so much so that now you just go watch games and give haterade comments to people,, not a bit sour about not being able to play the game are you champ

Reply #25439 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Heh, I know my limits! I wouldn't call it any kind of junior career - I was blessed to be playing in a Norwood side that was probably its best junior team since the Dan Thompson era (about 4-5 years ahead of us).

And I do play the game, 3 times a week, not at the highest level, I leave that to my mates and ex-teammates that have the dedication and the talent.

Reply #25443 | Report this post

good to see your using your dedication to get on others who play the game, there will never be another norwood junior team like the one that included thommo,gower,matthews,schaftener,forbes,hogan,parker, so dont kid yourself saying your team was at the stature of that group!!!

[Mod: I didn't. I said we were the best since then. Read mroe carefulyl next time. It's off topic anyway]

Reply #25451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wilkey plays for wilkey
seriously have doubts about a player who plays for north, woodville, centrals, sturt then centrals - just what is he searching for to better himself? play more minutes, be a bigger hero?

he was mia on sat night

Reply #25454 | Report this post

J Bags  
Years ago

Old Bull, I think Nick Hambour is a good back up for a water boy. His hustle is the only thing going for him. Unless his game has had a complete turn around this year he is way passed it!

As for wilkey...He is my hero!

A chicken hero!

Mmmm...so hungry.

I'm off to get a bag-o-chips!

Reply #25465 | Report this post

Scooby Doo  
Years ago

Wilkey Good player but does play for himself in my opinion good call anonymous. Birmingham, animal, Clausen and these types all seem a bit small and soft to play NBL. There are some big bodies out there. I think Fuller or Joe Mencel would be great options as they have the fire in the belly and always make the most of their opportunities. Good skills are great but I would much rather a hard worker with pure determination. You can teach someone to play the game but it is much harder to get the attitude

Reply #25466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after watching the nth vs eagles game the other week i think eagles young dude gange with the dreads has leap frogged a few guys. he has a lot of skills and can shoot the ball plays hard and is tuff definately something for the future!

Reply #25494 | Report this post

RocketsFan  
Years ago

J Bags, i think your being a bit harsh on Hambour.

He is still only 22yo, and has improved from year to year.

He obviously has more than just "hustle" to be training with the Sixers, starting in a top ABA side, and starting in the Academy.

Seems like the people who actually know a thing or two about basketball, like coaches and players, seem to think he has some level of skill above other players around.

Yes there are areas he can improve on to be a better player, but that comes with time.

Get some real knowledge of the complete game of basketball before you give your "wise?" opinions.

Reply #25501 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

from what i here "rocker fan" Nate Hawkes wasnt to happy with Nick "the fabric man" Hambours box out of Mapunda late in the game on sunday? i believe show some heart was uttered!

Reply #25503 | Report this post

RocketsFan  
Years ago

Lloyd, Nick wasnt boxing out Mapunda on Sunday.. Puddifoot was on his side of the keyway during the foul shot... I think you will find it was Kent who had Mapunda to box out.

But nice try.

Reply #25504 | Report this post

flame  
Years ago

I think Wilkey is underated he does have a lot of talent, If given a chance you would see him produce of a bench in the NBL he is 6'5 can shoot the ball and can go to the hoop. He has picked up his defense 10 fold and is playing good D. He will get another shot to play NBL if not in Adelaide somewhere else. Let's give these young guys a shot we want to better Aussie hoops so dont be so negative about everyone. And the new guy Watson if he's doing well give him his credit too why do we seem to be bagging people stop all the jelous crap.

Go Norwood!!!!

Reply #25507 | Report this post

RocketsFan  
Years ago

Well said Flame.

Reply #25508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half the list mentioned is nowhere near NBL quality, mainly the juniors you mentioned.

Reply #25531 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

These players may not be NBL quality, but it doesn't mean they dont have NBL potential. That is the exact reason why Scotty Ninnis has started the Acadamy, to try to bridge the gap. It would be great to see some young SA players in the NBL.

Reply #25570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just wonderin, how old are some of these younger guys - fuller, mencel, clausen, etc..??

Reply #25600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mencel-just turned 19 i think

Reply #25629 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

What about from the womens' teams?

Who's good and a possible future talent?

Reply #25631 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Fuller is a 1983.
Clausen is a 1987.

Reply #25632 | Report this post

rubber duck  
Years ago

In womens id say cayla francis is star in the making. YOung Mansfield girl is getting minutes. As to is Mencel from west and the female newley is obviously one to watch. Good news for the under 18 state team hey.

Reply #25635 | Report this post

stunner  
Years ago

wow that mencel girl is a looker too, very nice looking girl.

Reply #25744 | Report this post

west fan  
Years ago

you're not wrong there!!!!!!!!!

Reply #25767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:55 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754