lukn4atitle
Years ago

Marty Clarke new coach

An official announcement will be made either today or tomorrow.

Topic #22573 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

If it is Clarke, I thing he will do well. All three coaches names being bandied about would all do well in soem form or another IMO.

Reply #271424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't want to say I told you so.....BUT....

Reply #271426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isnt he the ais coach? who will coach them now?

Reply #271430 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

and now for the assistants.....

Reply #271431 | Report this post

jump shot  
Years ago

will Paul Mesecke take up the AIS gig once Clarke accepts the 6ers role?

Reply #271432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke is not the new 6ers Coach hahaah. He would be taking a massive pay, job security and benefits cut to coach in the NBL from his current cushy Federal Government job.

Reply #271435 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

the AIS head coach is not overly generously rewarded by the gov't

Reply #271436 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Mis informed pppl often think the govt pay big, they dont..

Marty Clarke would be leaving a secure job, but he would gain some money, he would also be able to get back into the AIS program easily enough..

They often go with what they trust...

Reply #271437 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Clarke obviously rated by those in the know and SOS must have also to take risk on unproven NBL coach .
Again thought might have read it on this site rather than paper and radio first.
Hope we can see some kids become stars in our programme after missing out on Newley and Inglis and other interstaters .

Reply #271438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, at the same time I was told Clarke had the coaching job I was told the the assistant job was going to the wildcats assistant coach. I wasn't told if it was Downer or Radford but it is one of those.

Reply #271439 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Marty needs to start coaching men to help with his ambition to coach at Boomers. Marty and Mark Radford are both former NW Tasmanian boys so it may carry some weight.

Reply #271440 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

439, good call.

Reply #271442 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Clarke would have gotten a big endorsement from Jan as she is working with the AIS in some capacity or has been in the past...

Reply #271445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had Mesecke at high school, never liked him. But if he is in the talks for AIS he must do something right. Like Clarke getting the gig, just hope as a new coach it works out better than Ninnis.

Reply #271451 | Report this post

tripple  
Years ago

Clarke would be a great pick up as coach. Think about all the young kids that go from the AIS to college. Once they have finished their four years and want to come back to the NBL, where do yo think they will look first? Back to their old coach. This would give us front running on players such as Ben Allen etc....giving us an exciting young team to watch.
If the AIS want to distroy their program and lose all respect in the basketball community then I think Paul Mesecke would be a great choice for them!!!! I think the only people that would want him to get the AIS job would be sturt people.. only beause then they can get rid of him.

Reply #271453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because Ben Allen is amazing.....??

Reply #271457 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

If true I like this move.

What I don't like is the attitudtide of numerous posters on this site who post comments like "WE took a chance on an unproven coach in Ninnis and look how it turned out, we need to get someone with a proven NBL track record".

These people obviously have short memories, Smythe brought us 3 championships in his first 5 years as an unproven coach (with significantly less assistant coaching experience than Ninnis), Joey Wright came in as an unknown and has been coaching up a storm ever since, I've got ansolutely no qualms with us appointing someone without NBL experience, as long as they bring other relevant experience and a great attitude to the table.

Reply #271459 | Report this post

ball  
Years ago

Because Ben Allen is better than David Cooper and Jacob Holmes and probably Matt Bursten thats why!!!!!!!

Reply #271460 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's not done yet - but it's getting there.
Hasn't signed or agreed to terms but likely to be done later this week - (from Boti Nagy)

Reply #271461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear he is getting out as AIS demands too much from him & family. Now he has Boomers committments the heirachy of AIS and Patrick Hunt didn't like it. Good on him. NBL needs another quality coach to boost the league.

Reply #271463 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Younger version of Beveridge????

Sounds ok. Needs an experienced assistant

Reply #271465 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Ball I agree, I would love the sixers to pick up Ben Allen, he is not the most athletic player but can shot, pass and defend and he knows how to open up space for other players. The only problem he is not a back to the basket centre. (I know this is off-topic but his name was mentioned by other posters)

Reply #271466 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Billo you are forgetting Smyth had Steve sitting next to him who had prior head coaching experience in the NBL. Ninnis had Hill & Liam with no prior NBL coaching experience. Smyth was in the better postion + had a veteran team.

I like the pick up, but agree lets get some good asssitants sitting next to him. IMO bring in fresh blood rather than ex players (Sapwell; Brooks etc) would be the way to go.

Reply #271468 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

If you are speaking of Mick Downer, Taipans Assistant Coach, he is staying with the Taipans.

Reply #271472 | Report this post

Melba  
Years ago

Smyth also had plenty of money to get veteran players and win. Players tend to play harder when they are getting paid good and know they are in a great situation.

Reply #271475 | Report this post

Charon 47  
Years ago

This is an outstanding appointment. Anyone who has worked with, been coached by or seen Marty work (both on and off the court) will know how good he is. He will have a steep learning curve, like Rob Beveridge went through, but he will be an outstanding NBL coach and one day, like Beveridge, he will coach the Boomers. A very wise decision by those concerned and proves the 36ers are in good hands. Well done SOS.

Reply #271477 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree with Jake ple--ease no ex players like Brooks . Sapwell or even Ninnis or even Brett.
I am sure Clarke will have least 1 he will bring on board and have to chose another.
Would Stacker eat humble pie and become one or would Clarke agree to that

Reply #271478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk of Guy Molloy coming over to assist Ninnis if he had held on. Could Mollo still come to assist Clarke?

Reply #271479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Marty is smart (and wants to preserve the health of his neck) he'd steer clear of having Stacker as an Assistant. He'd have to be constantly looking behind him to make sure he knew what was going on behind his back!

Reply #271480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SOS is looking at the right people, i'm hyped for next year if Marty Clarke accepts the job and pay =D

Reply #271488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke with Mark Radford from Perth as his assistant. Clarke is an outstanding communicator and a great coach. Flynn will hang around as the 3rd Assistant. Good times.

Reply #271489 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I guess 2 questions from your post anon with the understanding you are right .
You can only ask why Radford would leave Premiership Perth who could easily repeat .
And though no understanding of Flynns strengths or weakness from last season there was some strong criticsm of him on this site by posters.

Reply #271495 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

just because someone is criticised on this site does not make it right because at some stage this year everyone has been criticised on here and as you correctly said generally with no knowledge

Reply #271524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets hope Clarke can coach better then Dunlap did.

Reply #271527 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am not going to criticize Clarke because I know very little about him. However, its not unreasonable to be a bit apprehensive about someone with no NBL experience. Before everyone makes up their mind about this signing (when confirmed), it is definitely a case of lets wait and see what happens first.

Reply #271542 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Damien Cotter is the new AIS coach, previously from Knox SEABL championship winners and Aust. Junior Team head coach (U/19 I think)

Reply #271548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard that Cotter had the job as well. Curious what the sixers are waiting for when the AIS is already announcing Clarke's replacement. Who handles media for the Sixers? They certainly dropped the ball on this one.

Reply #271549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone confirm the new ais job?

Reply #271564 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Unless they wanna sign a few players to go with the announcement.
Ballinger I think is in Egypt - that's right , no that's wrong Israel. Burston Herbert Ng Schenscher and Clarke.

Reply #271576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce, that's right no that's wrong Camel 31. It's a internet forum why would you correct yourself in a post? (some would say you're having trouble seperating the two countries, not a very nice thing to do.)

Did your mate at 5AA tell you that? Not annoucing Clarke before telling Boti and before the AIS replace him is a missed opportunity. Another example of the inexperience in the 36ers office.

Reply #271585 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If you have not read it yet, Boti's article on the impending announcement of Marty Clarke as coach can be accessed here: http://linky.com.au/5wqt4

Reply #271595 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

From Boti's article.

Senior men's coach, Tasmanian State League, 1993-1997; There was no state league in Tasmania during those years.

Head coach, Intensive Training Centre program, Tasmania, 1996-1998; He was never the Head Coach of ITCP in Tasmania. He was a regional coach.

Still a great selection and will have success.

Reply #271601 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

As at Sunday nite, they are still in discussions with him. But then the article goes on to tell us all about him.
I seem to recall the last time we replaced a coach that it leaked out. But Mal fronted up with Ninnis and Ballinger signed. All is well that ends well.

Reply #271602 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

is there anything anywhere about Clarke being replaced at the AIS? would be good to know who the coach will be that is for sure

Reply #271604 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Are these leaks coming from ex grumpy employees?

Reply #271605 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Bob, try reading the whole thread before asking questions that have already been answered.

Reply #271608 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

billo nothing there about Clarke being replaced officially just hearsay, was asking where it was officially stated that he was not at the AIS anymore.

Reply #271612 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

hilarious. While Cotter would certainly be a highly ranked candidate for any AIS vacancy, he would, like many others, need to go through an application and selection process.

Its a government job. It has to be advertised.

Reply #271646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Clarke is either re-thinking the whole thing OR management have decided to go with someone else....maybe...It looks a little bad right now.

Reply #271843 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

I would tyhink that they break down. or stalling is in the finer details of it all..

Perhaps a family that Marty has to think about too??

Reply #271854 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The delay was over the dome. That's all fixed, now.
So announcement shortly. (unless it's in todays paper?)

Reply #271886 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

Camel can you elaborate more on the dome issue?

Reply #271888 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well they decided on a coach, but didn't wanna finalise it - until they had a venue. The financial administrator has handed ownership back to Eddy and sixers have long term leases with eddy. all is ok.

Reply #271889 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Camel - I'm almost certain you are making that up. Eddy Groves' assets are under administration, meaning he didn't have the capacity to meet the terms of the security over the Dome (basically, he couldn't pay the mortgage)

Why would the finance provider (I think I read somewhere it was one of the major banks) deal with Groves at all?

And please, don't attempt to respond with Bob Dylan lyrics that aren't remotely relevant.

Reply #271896 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's funny how I find them relevant and you don't.
And that the owners of the 36ers told those at the fans forum/meeting last nite about the financial administrator and Eddy Groves.

Reply #271898 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Agree the doctor, He had to surrender his passports so I doubt very much that he was given the Dome back after still being 1.5 billion in debt.

Reply #271901 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i also dont see how eddy would get it back. Also wasnt ken cole going to help out in regards to this issue by possibly purchasing the stadium??

Reply #271904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Doctor" and "In the Know" Camel 31 is right. There are cavets over the dome, which means if the bank goes to the trouble of trying to sell the dome most of the money raised would go to someone else so it is easier for the bank just to hand it back to Eddie. The holder of the other cavet will not be making Eddie sellup to get paid so the sixers should have no problem continuing their lease.
Now that the team has a venue to play in, they will announce Clarke as the new coach.

Reply #271905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was at the fans forum last night - the info given by Camel was indeed passed on by SOS.

Reply #271906 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Then what the hell is the holdup now . Also how the hell does a stadium deal interfere with the appointment of a coach .
So if could not get Dome were the SOS going to pack their bags and count their losses .
I dont think so
Free agents list due any day Kings got the green light and appointed coach immediately to be on front foot and we are still stuffing around even after we had chosen our man .
Whatever the obstacle get over it . If it is Clarke holding it up this long then he doesnt want the job move on.
Of course if announcement tomorrow then no real damage done .

Reply #271908 | Report this post

smeh  
Years ago

Grow up bretts, no stadium to play how can you ask someone to move without that guarantee. Maybe more people should have come to the forum with us last night and you could have asked the questions like we did and got great respect in getting the answers.
The club a was very open to us with our questions and that is why people like you getting on here reacting like that without any facts don't help.

Reply #271910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe this confirms why when we asked the Club last night "why don't you use Hoops more"
The answer was that "we cannot control the negative misinformed anom posters".
A lot of damage can be caused to individuals when misinformed news is leaked.
Imagine the issues the Club would have had trying to retain players if news that the Dome was in question.
Well done SOS, once again you have battled through difficult circumstances and come up trumps for the team.
Thankyou for last night, it was great to feel valued and involved.

Reply #271913 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Brett
-Maybe they had more than one candidate. Until someone has signed it is not fair on them or the other candidates to release any information.
-Imagine how you would feel if you applied for a job, amongst other people, and then going onto facebook/myspace/msn etc and finding out you didn't get it.
-So a coach has been selected how is he/she supposed to feel if the Management say, right here is the team but you have to train and play all your games at the Seaton Highschool gym.

Reply #271916 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Wow - apologies Camel. I believe I just called you a liar!

I still don't want to see any Bob Dylan lyrics though.

Reply #271924 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I can't help it - I don't believe you. Your a liar etc are all Bob Dylan songs.

Anyways - that was a big agenda last night 6-9 and the call came thru at about 7 while we were there.

Reply #271925 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

^^^ THAT WAS NOT ME!!!

Unhand my name, ye damned pirate!

Reply #271927 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Okay, Sturty's original post came up as Beantown a few minutes ago.

Thinking of a name change Sturty? Doesn't suit you mate. Stick with what ya know!

Reply #271928 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well I thought Beantown was in the room with us last night but it must've been Sturty. It's funny how we talk on here - but I didn't know who was who, last night. Anyways - it was well worth attending.Got a lot out of it.
There's a lotta information, on here, as was said, at the meeting but sometimes spoilt by a FEW anonymous.

Reply #271930 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I still say the fact that cloud over the dome be there a long time and if going to continue as a club then you will sort it out or find somewhere else .
Obviously SOS not going to throw the towell in now after spending so much money.
Kings havent secured their courts and have appointed coach , advisors etc and targeting players .
If there has been a hiccup fine in first choice which Boti said was Clarke then sort it out as messing with our coach selection if went on another week looks sillier than Court fiasco with many months away from 1st game.
I am sure Clarke etc have trained on worst courts than Seaton High.
Looks like will pick up a quality coach just want us to get best possible value for money team we can get

Reply #271933 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Well I thought Beantown was in the room with us last night but it must've been Sturty".

I'm curious Camel, why do you say that?

Reply #271935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brett if the 36ers have no venue to play in how can they continue as a club?

I believe that was the issue and until a venue, namely the Dome is secure the 36ers won't announce anything for season 2010/11.

Reply #271941 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

thedoctor, Camel is right. Dome was the hold-up. Changing venues might change plans and budgets significantly - who knows.

bretts, relax a bit. They'll get to it all in due course. Just a matter of sorting things out when necessary so they can focus on the right things. Don't want to announce a coach and then lose media momentum if the Dome becomes a big issue.

As you'll see in the other thread, the new coach will be announced tomorrow at 3pm. Hopefully that should give them a shot at some good coverage in the Saturday paper?

Reply #271948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754