Anonymous
Years ago

Schenscher and Burston - Room for 2?

I saw Schensch out wandering the Northern Lights last night and whilst I know he is probably here to visit friends and family, it got me thinking; is there room for 2 at the 6ers?

Could we have both him and Burston in the line up?

Can we have both of them and Ben Allen as our U/23?

If we cant have both who would you prefer?

Topic #22626 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't waste $100k on Bruce, the guy even lost his starting spot to Brad Davidson.

Reply #272367 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe (but not 100% sure) you have to be under 23 as of 31 December 2010.

As for the bigs question, in the NBL I reckon one genuine big (Schenscher or Burston), one guy who can play 4 and swing to 5 (Ballinger), one back up big (Cooper/Mottram/Allen) and one guy who can play as a mobile 4 (Holmes).

The prob Adelaide face is the lack of athleticism they have in these spots. I suspect they may be better off forgetting Burston and Schenscher, getting a strong, athletic 6'8-6'9 import who can cover the 4 and be a mobile 5, and then bringing in a true back up 5 like Allen.

Import, Ballinger, Herbert, import 1-3, Bruce
Allen, Holmes, Hill, Ng, Cadee

Of course, that would depend on Aaron Bruce playing for his NBL market value of approx $100K.

(Mod: Lost in database corruption, but reposted.)

Reply #272372 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Absolute zero chance.

Reply #272391 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

if money and league rules allows. my theory with building a team is you can NEVER have enough talent!

so my answer would be yes! just give coaching staff a good 'headache' to try work on a effective rotation etc.

Reply #272397 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

U23 as at 31dec is correct. Brad Hill turned 23 Nov 2009 and unable to be our u23 by a month.
Maybe they could've given some grace there?
(although - think I'd prefer NBL to be an open age comp.)

Think I'd prefer Schensch Burston to Import centre + Cooper.
Burston IS athletic.

Reply #272408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

please take schenscher away from us! (wildcats fan)

Reply #272410 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Burston is mobile for a genuine big and isnt a non-athlete, and is an excellent defender as a centre but he needs more mobile guys at the four. While the Sixers have Burston or Schenscher/Ballinger/Holmes as the main frontcourt guys their defence will continue to leak points.

Reply #272411 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, while I agree that it would be good for the Sixers to have an athletic guy with some height, I don't agree that the Burston/ Ballinger combo has to be a problem with regard to leaking points. I think if the Sixers new coach can drill his guards to stay in front of players a little more and then learn to channel their opponent towards the help, the Sixers defence will improve markedly.

Reply #272416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballingers biggest problem defensively is closing out to the perimeter, was just very lazy at that last year...needs to close out harder and if they get around him then he needs to hustle back and get some help...

Reply #272431 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

having worked with Burston from Dragons' days, no he is not an athletic in my book. just average.

Reply #272656 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I was looking at the HSH rosters and 2 imports that stood out to me where Bennett Davison and Mike Helms, i know they are both probably around 30 now but if they play well at the HSH tournament and want to play nbl how about them as our 2 imports, given we will probably have a young aussie content i dont think their age is a problem assuming they still play well.
Bennett would give us plenty of athleticism in the front court along side say Schenscher, Ballinger and Holmes and could play SF,PF and C, and Helms would give us some flat out scoring in the combo guard and i think if we can sign a pg like Aaron Bruce he would be a good fit, if we cant get a good aussie pg we may need more of a true pg instead of helms though,
How bout a line up of

C Schenscher (10)/Allen (3)
PF Ballinger (10) /Holmes (8)
SF Davison (10)/Herbert (5)
SG Helms(10)/Ng (6)
PG Bruce(5)/ U23 (3)

That line up would give us 70 points so fits the points cap, if it can also fit the salary cap that would be awesome!

Reply #272683 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you can do better than Davison and Helms. Davison had no jumpshot and Helms' was very inconsistent. On top of that Helms' was not a real team player and required a lot of shots to get his points.

The Sixers need an import guard with a very high basketball IQ, particularly if Schenscher and Ballinger are the frontcourt. No point having those guys on big bucks without a backcourt that can get them the ball in good spots.

Of course, purely for highlight reels, Davison and Helms have been two of my all-time favourite NBL imports.

Reply #272686 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea i remember Davison not having a great jump shot, but thought that would not be a issue playing along side Ballinger, and he could play inside against a SF allowing Ballinger to step out and shoot more.

But yea definatly the chance of getting younger/better players but yea i agree with the highlight real comment, which is 1 reason id love to see them in 36ers colours and they could be good for ticket sales too, Davison had some amazing dunks!

but the most important thing is we get players to help us WIN!

Reply #272687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:58 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754