Lyn Wieland
Years ago

Calling All Woodville People Past & Present

On March 23, 1980 Vera Craig, Greg Fisher, Greg Jones, David Kubank, John (Jack) Haines, Mark Leister and fifteen others attended a public meeting at the St Clair Recreation Centre. At this meeting the Woodville District Basketball Club was formed.

Many may believe that players make a basketball club, and they are one very vital ingredient. It takes a group of people however, of all types to fill a variety of roles to make a club a success.

Woodville has evolved as a family orientated club with a strong working class ethic. A Club that has gained a reputation of giving anyone a game, a reputation we take as a compliment as our club is very accepting of people from all walks of life.

Mrs Vera Craig was involved with Woodville from the first pilot meeting, till her death in September 2004. In an attempt to chronicle our history I have been blessed by the amount of information she kept. She left us almost every conceivable bit of information, minutes of meetings, newspaper clippings, articles in 'tap in' or 'hang time' from the Club's inception till shortly before her death. Unfortunately what I do not have, are her personal memories.

I am now looking for people to help fill in the blanks of Club's history. I am looking for the personal touches. The photos, the stories; good and bad  funny and bawdy. I am interested in hearing from any teams that went on tours or away to tournaments. Or simply hear from anyone who has played, coached or been involved with the club over the years with any type of story to tell.

If you know of anyone who could be of help, or interest to me could you please let them know of my quest. I'd be interested contacting people like Jamie Madigan, Ray De Wit, Kelvin Henderson, Darren Carroll, Annie Storoschuk, Leanne Grantham, Reg Grantham, Alan Christie, Michael Funke, Trevor Maddiford, Di Roberts and Sue Hank.

I can be contacted via email on (Mod: Since removed.) or you can contact the club office and leave your details and I will return your call.

Yours in basketball
Lyn Wieland

Topic #2265 | Report this topic

snoop dog  
Years ago

I can remember playing for Cheltenham before it became woodville - both cheltenham baptist (black and yellow) in the church comp sat afternoons and cheltenham district (green and white - vera organised) on friday nights at forestville - that was back in SA church days.

does that count as a woodville old boy?

Reply #25673 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I remember Scott Whitmore when reverse pump dunks were in his repertoire. Does that count as being historic too?

Reply #25693 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yes as a 12 year veteran of woodville ive seen many people come and go.some good people to talk to about the club's past tim brenton,george sibley.i think kelvin henderson is back in the US.

Reply #25705 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

Snoop dog yes that is does count would like to hear from you because WDBC's history starts with CBC

Reply #25740 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

Moses - I remember Scott as a junior which is scary enough.

I did talk to mrs guthrie one night at the Dome wouldn't mind hearing from you, if you don't mind.

Reply #25741 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

Cheezeburger I have Tim's and George's numbers. I do believe Kelvin is back in the US but I'd love to know if anyone has his email address.

Basically from all of Vera's papers I have the basic history of the club. The meetings, a lot of the decisions made and hopefully all of the players who have ever played for the club.

What I am missing unfortunately is background to the dry facts.

So if you have anything to share please let me know.

Reply #25742 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Lyn, you can probably get enough information from talking to Scott Whitmore without chasing anyone else. I searched Google the other day and his birthday showed the letters BC after it. Not sure what it means, but it might imply he's been around for a while! ;-)

Reply #25748 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

now that is a problem i've been around longer than Scott does that make me bbc? then

Reply #25768 | Report this post

reunion  
Years ago

where is greg breaverington nowdays? someone said he was coaching lacrosse?

Reply #25844 | Report this post

catch up  
Years ago

I heard the breaveringtons were running a fish and chip shop in Perth

Reply #25845 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

despite the attempts of humour above I really am interested in hearing from people who have a story to tell about woodville.

it takes ALL types of people to make a club not just div 1 players, not just coaches

even if you think you haven't contributed much i would still like to hear from you.

We are 25 years old this year a milestone to remember.

Reply #25849 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Greg Breavington is actually the assistant mens coach :)

Barb, his wife is the Woodville administrator, and one fo their daughters is now playing Reserves and in the ABA Womens squad for WW.

Lyn, if you want to contact Leanne GRantham, I would suggest contacting ABC Sport in Sydney, as she was commentating for them after she left the WNBL.

I will try some contacts through the league to see if I can get some sort of contact details for her.

Reply #25855 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

thanks Yogee

fyi Barb is the Club Secretary

Reply #25868 | Report this post

sandy  
Years ago

LYNNE, michael funke will be in adelaide over easter
he lives in melbourne these days

Reply #25879 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

kelvin henderson is from st.louis.so if u want you could fly there and meet him in person.

Reply #25956 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

thanks cheezeburger for taking my request so seriously.

having met kelvin henderson i don't need to fly to st louis to meet him again.

gather you have no interest in celebrating 25 years of your club

Reply #25964 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Cheeze, with a response that good, how bout dropping the cash for Lyn to go and see Kelvin

Reply #25969 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

i am a seriuos person.i was good mates with the late tory henderson when he and i played in under 12's div 1.sorry i dont have the cash, im only an apprentice.

Reply #25991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks to those who have helped.

I have been able to contact or know how to contact Michael Funke, Jamie Madigan, Ray De Wit and Leanne Grantham

Surely someone out there knows where to contact Annie Storoschuk, Sue Hank, Trevor Maddiford, Darren Carrol, Di Roberts and Alan Christie

Does anyone know where to contact Simon Byrt. Or anyone who played a part in Woodville over last 25 years.

Reply #26338 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

Oops meant to put my name to the last post

Public Meeting March 23, 1980
Pilot Committee March 31, 1980
First teams played May, 1980
First AGM September 21, 1980
Incorporation August 5, 1981
Men promoted to Div 1 July 8, 1982
Nomination for Ordinary Membership BASA February 3, 1984

congrats on 25 years tomorrow WDBC

Reply #26340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have that old calendar that was issued in like 1999. and my dad has some seats from the old athol park. if that's what your looking for

Reply #26344 | Report this post

Lyn Wieland  
Years ago

yes if you could contact me that would be good

i am compiling the history of the club and all things and everyone who has helped shape the club are important

Reply #26349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:36 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754